Author Topic: No territories = lackluster wrestlers  (Read 1793 times)

littleguns

• Getbig V
No territories = lackluster wrestlers
« on: December 19, 2011, 04:07:05 PM »
I seem to hear alot that wrestling isn't what it used to be due to the lack of territories where guys made $20 a night and really lived wrestling..

Agree/disagree?

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
Re: No territories = lackluster wrestlers
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 05:14:17 PM »
I agree.  The territories fed off of each other.  When an angle had it's blowoff or a guy lost his heat, he could just go to a different territory.  Not to mention it gave guys time to develop their OWN persona instead of having some dipshit in the WWE "talent" dept do it for them.....just a much better system that produced much more quality.

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 10:19:38 PM »
I agree.  The territories fed off of each other.  When an angle had it's blowoff or a guy lost his heat, he could just go to a different territory.  Not to mention it gave guys time to develop their OWN persona instead of having some dipshit in the WWE "talent" dept do it for them.....just a much better system that produced much more quality.

You hit the nail on the head.  When a guy lost his steam he could move on and reinvent himself some other place,  as heel,  or face.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 02:31:56 AM »
Maybe the bigger question is, Will wrestling ever be like it was Attitude era or heck even the 80's.

I used to be a die hard fan but now I will maybe watch 20 minutes and catch everything on the dirt sheets...

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 10:22:08 AM »
Maybe the bigger question is, Will wrestling ever be like it was Attitude era or heck even the 80's.

I used to be a die hard fan but now I will maybe watch 20 minutes and catch everything on the dirt sheets...

Attitude era yes, 80's no.  We will never see territory wrestling as big as it was before turdball McMahon killed it.

xpac2

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 10:27:01 AM »
World has changed guys the genie has been let out of the bottle and you cant put it back in. Not to mention wrestling has turned into cheesy acting. It will die a slow death

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 04:57:10 PM »
Attitude era yes, 80's no.  We will never see territory wrestling as big as it was before turdball McMahon killed it.

I'll always maintain that the old man was both the best AND worst things to happen to the business.
He was responsible for the heights wrestling reached under his vision, but he is also the root cause of many of the problems with today's product.

We'll never know the answer to this, but I wonder how long the territories would have survived had Vince not come along.
This is pure conjecture on my part, but Vince ruined a lot of things the old territories relied on. But, they may have been on their way out even without Vince throwing his hat into the mix.
Audiences have changed dramatically over the last thirty years.
WWF has endured by becoming the preferred product of mainstream because Vince changed with the times while the other promoters didn't, and their businesses all folded because of it.

And that's my point: audiences would have evolved regardless of Vince.
The other promoters showed no signs of evolving.
Vince was there and he was the only one who adequately kept up with changing demands.

On one hand, McMahon Jr. may have helped kill off the territories, but that may be a moot point since they were/would soon be dying anyway.
On the other hand, I think Vince has also kept wrestling alive by being better than his dying counterparts.
Vince is the only promoter who's continually given audiences enough of what they want to keep his company AND pro-wrestling afloat.

Without the WWF machine, professional wrestling may have gone the way of Vaudeville and silent films by now!

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 05:35:40 PM »

I'll always maintain that the old man was both the best AND worst things to happen to the business.
He was responsible for the heights wrestling reached under his vision, but he is also the root cause of many of the problems with today's product.

We'll never know the answer to this, but I wonder how long the territories would have survived had Vince not come along.
This is pure conjecture on my part, but Vince ruined a lot of things the old territories relied on. But, they may have been on their way out even without Vince throwing his hat into the mix.
Audiences have changed dramatically over the last thirty years.
WWF has endured by becoming the preferred product of mainstream because Vince changed with the times while the other promoters didn't, and their businesses all folded because of it.

And that's my point: audiences would have evolved regardless of Vince.
The other promoters showed no signs of evolving.
Vince was there and he was the only one who adequately kept up with changing demands.

On one hand, McMahon Jr. may have helped kill off the territories, but that may be a moot point since they were/would soon be dying anyway.
On the other hand, I think Vince has also kept wrestling alive by being better than his dying counterparts.
Vince is the only promoter who's continually given audiences enough of what they want to keep his company AND pro-wrestling afloat.

Without the WWF machine, professional wrestling may have gone the way of Vaudeville and silent films by now!

I think you are cutting VKM way too much slack.  It was his meddling and raiding other territories, enticing biggest stars to jump ship, etc... in the 80's that caused the vast majority of territories to suffer.  No territory was exempt from his onslaught to dominate the entire industry.  He shit on the "handshake" deals that promoters had used for years.

The internet played a major role too.  Once fans became more interested in the backstage stuff than the on air product, the business suffered for it. 

As much as Michaels sickens you Monty....multiply that by 100000000 for VKM in my book.  ;D

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 05:57:44 PM »
I think you are cutting VKM way too much slack.  It was his meddling and raiding other territories, enticing biggest stars to jump ship, etc... in the 80's that caused the vast majority of territories to suffer.  No territory was exempt from his onslaught to dominate the entire industry.  He shit on the "handshake" deals that promoters had used for years.

The internet played a major role too.  Once fans became more interested in the backstage stuff than the on air product, the business suffered for it. 

As much as Michaels sickens you Monty....multiply that by 100000000 for VKM in my book.  ;D

Ha-ha-ha!!!
Oh, I agree with you 100% that Vince Jr. was extremely shrewd and made some very asshole-ish moves.
But, I still believe that the territory mentality would have become antiquated and fizzled out with or without his involvement.

None of the old promoters showed any indications of modifying their product, and I suspect that they eventually all would have gone the way of the T-Rex - whether Vince came along or not.
Unfortunately, lots of good things just outlive their usefulness when time passes them by in favor of newer versions.
The few folks who truly appreciate those things enough to miss them do what you and I are doing now. :)

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 03:46:10 AM »
All great points. There are so many small mom and pop industry feds I wish one would have the smarts or perhaps resources to take it up a notch. Ring of honor, etc etc

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 04:12:51 AM »
All great points. There are so many fell mom and pop industry feds I wish one would have the smarts or perhaps resources to rake it up a notch. Ring of honor, etc etc

There have been a few times over the last several years that I thought ROH may have stood a chance - periods in which it seemed they were taking that next step.
While that remains to be seen, I still haven't given up hope and even remain somewhat optimistic.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 03:45:21 PM »

There have been a few times over the last several years that I thought ROH may have stood a chance - periods in which it seemed they were taking that next step.
While that remains to be seen, I still haven't given up hope and even remain somewhat optimistic.

TNA will always be a "B" player. IMO Hogan and Bischof have done nothing