Author Topic: Nintendo DS looks like its failing quite badly thus far....  (Read 5889 times)

anab0lic

• Getbig II
Nintendo DS looks like its failing quite badly thus far....
« on: December 19, 2011, 05:28:32 PM »
Not really much of a gamer these days as I think over the last decade games have gone forward in terms of graphics and backwards in terms of gameplay - dumbed down for masses = more profit.  Anyways, I did like the old DS though and when I heard of the launch of the 3DS, I thought the orginal DS awesomeness could potentially be improved further... never really cared for the 3D feature and probaby would have it allways turned off if i owned one....but i did think they would have some top quality games for the system that would be fun 3D or not.... but looking at the reviews the games released so far have gotten, it seems to be doing pretty badly.  Eh, perhaps next year it will really shine...

Gaming for the most part sucks these days though, i guess the current generation dont know any better though and are blissfully unaware, the golden era was the SNES/N64 days for sure... dont get me wrong theres still a few gems out there but it aint like it used to be, and that aint just nostalgia... i went back and played some of the old greats not so long
ago and they are still blow most of the trash thats churned out today away.

AlphaMaleDawg

• Getbig IV
Re: Nintendo DS looks like its failing quite badly thus far....
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 05:31:59 PM »
it doesn't help that the games suck. although the new mario and mario kart games are probably as epic as every other one of those games

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 05:32:49 PM »
While the 3DS is of course not selling as crazy as the DS did... it's still doing very very well.

The fact of the matter is that 3D is and always will be a gimmick.

However, globally, the Nintendo DS is the number 1 selling platform period at over 150 Million at last count... The 3DS is the current top seller right now.

So I don't know why you think the DS is failing or that the 3DS is failing... They are making Nintendo a shit ton of money.

Week sales of Dec-10-2011 Worldwide
Platform   Americas   Europe   AP/MEA   Global
3DS   558,670   306,017   461,566   1,326,253
Xbox   631,870   192,453   27,060   851,383
Wii   453,288   262,882   98,047   814,217
PS3   287,263   291,658   121,494   700,415
DS   181,730   129,831   33,021   344,582
PSP   87,718   87,215   89,084   264,017

Schmoff

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 05:33:18 PM »
you are a nerd

:D :D

ironneck

• Getbig V
  • team young getbiggers
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 05:39:08 PM »
lol at people thinking games were better back then...bullshit!

you just were younger and more interested thats it, for me that doesnt even count
when i play old games i always think how could you have fun with this simple shit?
games these days are much better

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 05:41:24 PM »

you just were younger and more interested thats it, for me that doesnt even count
when i play old games i always think how could you have fun with this simple shit?

Some were better and some were worse... The top thing a game needs to have is a fun factor.

Part of what you say may be true, but there are many games back in the mid 80s that while "simple" were simply more fun than some games today and of course there are some fantastic games made today that crush some games from back then.

The fact is that there have always been good and bad games made... Time didn't change anything but how big the game can be and how pretty it can look.

The creative ideas and the fun is universal.

ironneck

• Getbig V
  • team young getbiggers
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 05:43:21 PM »
yes but once u get used to HD you get eye cancer playing regular shit

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 05:45:25 PM »
yes but once u get used to HD you get eye cancer playing regular shit

No disagreement, but I've had a blast playing a lot of HD remixes of the old games with just updated sound and video.

That's how you know the game was really great.

There's a shit ton of HD visuals today that make my eyes roll back in my head when I play them because they just suck.

anab0lic

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 05:57:59 PM »

Simple shit? the games back then had far more depth to them and alot were a ton more challenging to.  The majority of todays games are dumbed down to the point where its mind numbing.... but thats the target audience developers need to cater for in todays climate - the casual gamer who turns on his console for an hour or two at the weekend.... theres far more money to be made selling to that kind of person, because theres more people like that than there is 'hardcore gamers' Perfect example of this is look what happened to the Final Fantasy series lol...

Compare the top 5 games from each genre from say 10 years ago and today, I dont think many of the modern games wpuld get on to the lists from back then.

ironneck

• Getbig V
  • team young getbiggers
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 06:04:15 PM »
of course games back then were more simple cause they didnt have the possibilities they have today
dont tell me a 2d super mario isnt simple...of course it has nothing to do with the fact that these games are great
but games like the uncharted series for example set new standards IMO

Nomad

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 06:09:03 PM »
Nintendo guys are brilliant, they make money on every console they put out, right away. This vs Sony or Microsoft that expect to lose billions on their new consoles until game sales finally pull their asses out of the red. Honestly I think Xbox would have failed if not for the Halo miracle. Without Halo Xbox was nothing.
all drugs - TPPIIP

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 06:11:36 PM »
Simple shit? the games back then had far more depth to them and alot were a ton more challenging to.  The majority of todays games are dumbed down to the point where its mind numbing.... but thats the target audience developers need to cater for in todays climate - the casual gamer who turns on his console for an hour or two at the weekend.... theres far more money to be made selling to that kind of person, because theres more people like that than there is 'hardcore gamers' Perfect example of this is look what happened to the Final Fantasy series lol...

Compare the top 5 games from each genre from say 10 years ago and today, I dont think many of the modern games wpuld get on to the lists from back then.

This is pretty spot on.

As games continue to explode in popularity, the newcomers have to be eased into it with... you said it, mind-numbingly boring games.  Of course there are still people making good games, but the "average gamer" these days has no taste, and the market reflects this by giving us checkpoints every ten seconds, regenerating health and indestructable cover, stupid and slow enemies, etc.

You can see the same thing happening with rap music... once all the white kids caught on and the industry had a nationwide (or even global) audience, the path was paved for increasingly less talented artists to take advantage of these kids' poor taste, and shortly thereafter you started hearing all the longtime fans proclaiming "hip hop is dead."

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 06:13:30 PM »
of course games back then were more simple cause they didnt have the possibilities they have today
dont tell me a 2d super mario isnt simple...of course it has nothing to do with the fact that these games are great
but games like the uncharted series for example set new standards IMO

super mario world is literally a thousand times more sophisticated (and fun) than the shitty platformers that "indie" developers churn out today, like limbo, braid, super meat boy, and countless others.

ironneck

• Getbig V
  • team young getbiggers
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 06:17:37 PM »
only homosexuals think that rap was better back then

run dmc kurtis blow etc etc all very low skilled shitty rappers who are blown away by guys like eminem, kendrick llamar and yes even lil weezy

it is all nostalgia i tell ya, people think things were better when they were younger

i always thought pokemon was great back then but cant even watch one episode now cause its boring as fuck

anab0lic

• Getbig II
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 06:20:37 PM »
Hard to remeber the cream of the crop from 10 years ago, but off the top of my head some old gems of that era...

FPS:

Counter-strike
Goldeneye 64
Quake
Unreal tournament
Timesplitters

RPG:

Zelda:ocarina of time/link to past
Final fantasy 6,7
Chrono trigger
Baldurs gate
Dues ex

RTS:

Command and conquer series
Starcraft
Total anhilation
Homeworld
Warcraft

Cant think of much thats been released in recent years that gameplay wise tops the above and im probably forgetting a few classics.  And if you go through most of the other genres you will find the same...

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 06:24:21 PM »
only homosexuals think that rap was better back then

run dmc kurtis blow etc etc all very low skilled shitty rappers who are blown away by guys like eminem, kendrick llamar and yes even lil weezy

it is all nostalgia i tell ya, people think things were better when they were younger

i always thought pokemon was great back then but cant even watch one episode now cause its boring as fuck

there are still good rappers, of course, but it's about the average level of quality.  in the 90s you had biggie, tupac, nas, jay-z, nwa, wu tang, even eminem and many others all releasing quality work.

i mean, i like wayne, j cole, drake, ti, kanye and the rest as much as the next guy, but there's really no comparison.  plus look at guys like wayne and kanye... when they had a small audience, their work was great, when they became household names, they turned to shit (ESPECIALLY wayne).  It's for many reasons but a big one is the new audience just doesn't hold them to a high standard -- kids hear wayne call himself the "best rapper alive" and believe it for years, long after he stopped producing anything even close to the level of, say, drought 3 or carter II.

ironneck

• Getbig V
  • team young getbiggers
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 06:25:50 PM »
Hard to remeber the cream of the crop from 10 years ago, but off the top of my head some old gems of that era...

FPS:

Counter-strike
Goldeneye 64
Quake
Unreal tournament
Timesplitters

you can hate BF and CoF but they are better just as HL2
RPG:

Zelda:ocarina of time/link to past   it's not an RPG it's an action adventure and i gotta put in elder scrolls in there other than that rpg is dead cause it's fukcing boring at least the japanese roundbased rpg
Final fantasy 6,7
Chrono trigger
Baldurs gate
Dues ex

RTS:

Command and conquer series  never likes these games
Starcraft
Total anhilation
Homeworld
Warcraft

Cant think of much thats been released in recent years that gameplay wise tops the above and im probably forgetting a few classics.  And if you go through most of the other genres you will find the same...

try and play the new batman game, uncharted 3, red dead redemption, GTA4 + add ons

ironneck

• Getbig V
  • team young getbiggers
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 06:27:57 PM »
there are still good rappers, of course, but it's about the average level of quality.  in the 90s you had biggie, tupac, nas, jay-z, nwa, wu tang, even eminem and many others all releasing quality work.

i mean, i like wayne, j cole, drake, ti, kanye and the rest as much as the next guy, but there's really no comparison.  plus look at guys like wayne and kanye... when they had a small audience, their work was great, when they became household names, they turned to shit (ESPECIALLY wayne).  It's for many reasons but a big one is the new audience just doesn't hold them to a high standard -- kids hear wayne call himself the "best rapper alive" and believe it for years, long after he stopped producing anything even close to the level of, say, drought 3 or carter II.

i agree fully on what u say about kanye and weezy
i never understood why so many artist get worse with time i mean everything else evolves but talent gets worse, pretty weird

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 06:33:17 PM »
by the way, arkham city, gta IV, and ESPECIALLY red dead redemption are all shit.  dunno about uncharted 3.  I can tell you right now it's got extremely boring gunplay.

red dead redemption stands right alongside bioshock as the torchbearers for all that's wrong with modern game design.  with regard to red dead redemption: extremely dumbed down combat (the slow-motion mechanic makes the game a joke), cookie cutter missions which are about 1/10 as interesting as those found in GTA III, which started the genre, over-emphasis on cinematics and story-sequences, and so easy as to be tedious to anyone who's been playing games for more than a couple of years.

ironneck

• Getbig V
  • team young getbiggers
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 06:34:57 PM »
wow
i mean im not the only one who says that
RDR and B AC are like the most loved games of this decade

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2011, 09:50:41 PM »
wow
i mean im not the only one who says that
RDR and B AC are like the most loved games of this decade

I really love RDR and B: AC but that's just me.

ironneck

• Getbig V
  • team young getbiggers
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2011, 09:54:44 PM »
love it too

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2011, 06:27:52 AM »
People who outgrew nintendo think they're failing but they actually stayed in the kids world and sells because of it

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2011, 06:49:25 AM »

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2011, 03:04:11 PM »
video games are much better today, unlike movies and music

anybody that thinks games like final fantasy 7 or  zelda ocarina of time are better than anything today are letting their nostalgia cloud their judgment, i'm willing to bet you haven't played those games in years and don't understand how dated they are today

E
E