Author Topic: How much protein do we REALLY need?  (Read 9057 times)

theheman

• Getbig III
  • Her tetas were shaped like little pointy tortillas
Re: How much protein do we REALLY need?
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2011, 09:08:42 PM »
Biology 101: Proteins are the building blocks of life.  You lift weights, muscles tears down, protein helps repair the muscle and if you don't get enough protein in your diet, you go into state catabolism where the body starts to eat up muscle in order for the body to function.  The appropriate amount depends on how hard you work out.  Plus I've read that AAS increases protein synthesis so I'm thinking if you're on hormones you can probably get away with eating more protien even if not working out as hard.

philborg

• Getbig II
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2011, 10:51:21 PM »
one gram is ideal.

(not one gram per pound of bodyweight) just one gram a day. nothin but a peanut...literally

Nomad

• Getbig IV
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2011, 11:49:31 PM »
Biology 101: Proteins are the building blocks of life.  You lift weights, muscles tears down, protein helps repair the muscle and if you don't get enough protein in your diet, you go into state catabolism where the body starts to eat up muscle in order for the body to function.  The appropriate amount depends on how hard you work out.  Plus I've read that AAS increases protein synthesis so I'm thinking if you're on hormones you can probably get away with eating more protien even if not working out as hard.

You mean get away with eating less protein on AAS?
all drugs - TPPIIP

notsureifsrs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2011, 01:45:53 AM »
We can argue this all day butlot of experts and myself believe the protein can't stor as fat, so you are fat gained is not from protein, I have tested this and eaten protein non stop and it didn't store as fat not even a gram, the extra calories will stop you from losing fat cause you have burn them anyway but no fat storage will occure
So where the cals from protein go?

Sherief Shalaby

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2011, 02:53:03 AM »
IMO it Depends..

Off season  when I'm 180 + pounds I take in much less (I do fine on 180g-200g and rather push the carbs up to 400-500g has a protien sparing effect. I find off season more protein doesn't give me "more gains" either.

pre contest @ 158 pounds my protien is higher though (250-300g protein) carbs lower but always there and cycled between 50-150g with carb ups every so often  (up to 600g-800g carbs once a week normally or when I get very flat (I do lower protein on these carb up days). I never go keto not the most effective diet IMO

I find the Main benefit for higher Protein pre contest or when dieting is it's suppression effect on hunger. Especially lower carb days. Essential fat I keep moderate 40-50g a day I don't see much benefit in going higher fat in my experience. Whether that's too much protein or too little who knows, but this was what I did in 2009 to get into this condition.

reminds me of dorian's back.. great shot..

Ropo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2011, 03:01:15 AM »
thats the point
i see too many guys here in brasil walking around with WATERY body, like a big bubble of shit. Them you ask them:
Man, wuts going on?
They say: Duurp, offseason buddy, quero ficar monstro, sinistro. I'm eating 500g of protein every day, 800g of carb, no count the fat. I'll reach 270lb, pode crer, i'll be the next Universe and soon i'll be with my pro card in hands.

All that shit soaked up into the body WITHOUT hGH plus 2g testosterona a week. It's done, the picture off brazilian bodybuilding

Well, that 500g per day adds up quite nicely, if your weight is 250 kilos, which means 550lb. Remember, it is 1 to 2 g of protein per kilo of body weight. 1kilo = 2,2lb, so if you are consuming 1-2g per 1lb, you eat too much of it, and you are wasting your money. If your weight is 100kg/220lb, difference is 240g per day, which means almost a kilo per every four days, which equals 4000 kcal of extra calories.

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan

OptimusPrime1980

• Getbig IV
  • FODA SE! ;)
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2011, 05:27:40 AM »
protein synthesis increases when on steroids...
that means your body uses it more effecient, it does NOT mean your body needs more!!!!
diet = useless......!!!
just eat! eat healthy , eat when your hungry.. very very simple!
your body will take what it needs.
that whole protein story is blown up! 400 grams a day  ::) ::) ::) yeah when you are ronnie coleman and on 40 iu's of hgh a day.

when on steroids alone eat normal!!!!
when on steroids and low dose hgh you can eat a little more.... for gods sake rea the bible... it's all here!
and i did it all, i ate 500 grams of protein a day , and now i eat maybe 100 grams a day... i am a lot leaner today...
also smaller but that is because of training mma and lowering the dose a lot! lol!
Be Happy,
Optimus

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2011, 06:09:09 AM »
that means your body uses it more effecient, it does NOT mean your body needs more!!!!
diet = useless......!!!
that whole protein story is blown up! 400 grams a day  ::) ::) ::) yeah when you are ronnie coleman and on 40 iu's of hgh a day.

when on steroids and low dose hgh you can eat a little more.... for gods sake rea the bible... it's all here!
and i did it all, i ate 500 grams of protein a day , and now i eat maybe 100 grams a day... i am a lot leaner today...
also smaller but that is because of training mma and lowering the dose a lot! lol!

Good post dude. I personally know this fella here in this pic, Mr. JM Blakely, and he ate bout 80 grams of protein while dieting and lost ZERO strength or muscle in the process. Who knows? Maybe it was from the chemical assistance, or maybe he is just a gentic elite? I'm trying to get him to come on over here and post on this board, but he is a bit if a recluse to say to least lol

bigbobs

• Getbig V
  • Islam, Nasser and Corvettes.
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2011, 08:49:06 AM »
Protein tastes awesome :P  Even if you don't need quite as much, why struggle so much to limit it?  Even if I wasn't working out I'd likely eat a fair bit of it.

theheman

• Getbig III
  • Her tetas were shaped like little pointy tortillas
« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2011, 08:58:02 AM »

diet = useless......!!!

Now it makes sense.  I thought it was the other way around.  Thanks for clarifying.  Can you provide an estimate macronutrient %age breakdown for example 50% protein, 30% carbs and 20% fat?  Everything I've learned about bodybuilding is being challenged.  Now I'm getting more confused than ever.  We're talking about me reading on this topic for the last 15 yrs.

yates fan

• Getbig III
« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2011, 02:41:23 PM »
ok this is bodybuilding,so throw all physician desk ref. and what works for normal people out the door,its per lb. of bodyweight not kilo,and high amounts of protien are necessary when dieting especially low carb,if offseason and carbs are high,prtien can be lowered,i would still use at least one gram per pound of b.w. if using anabolics and on low carb diet use 2 grams per pound of bodyweight.that is only way.

yates fan

• Getbig III
« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2011, 02:44:03 PM »
of course protien has to be of high quality,get at least half from food source and if using powder,cant be cheap wallmart crap or some gimmick,remember if powder use only best quality and not always whey.

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #63 on: December 23, 2011, 02:50:47 PM »
eat eat eat

OptimusPrime1980

• Getbig IV
  • FODA SE! ;)
« Reply #64 on: December 24, 2011, 08:24:52 AM »
Now it makes sense.  I thought it was the other way around.  Thanks for clarifying.  Can you provide an estimate macronutrient %age breakdown for example 50% protein, 30% carbs and 20% fat?  Everything I've learned about bodybuilding is being challenged.  Now I'm getting more confused than ever.  We're talking about me reading on this topic for the last 15 yrs.
only thing you should have learned about bodybuilding is that it's ALL DRUGS!!!
diet, macro's? do you really think top bb measure there food on a daily basis ?
that they worry about macros? how much grams of dry rice? or turkey breast?

JUST EAT, good home cooked food.... macro's will be ok ..... eat plenty of meat, eggs etc... protein will be ok....
it's a very simple thing that is being made very very complex....

inject your steroids and hgh
train
EAT!
pronto....you will be big and lean
Be Happy,
Optimus

Balloon

• Getbig III
« Reply #65 on: December 24, 2011, 08:36:31 AM »
Red, bloated faces, horrible complexions. I laugh at these poor souls gorging themselves with cheap, lactose filled whey powders, holding water and blowing out horrible gas 24/7.

Overstuffed pigs.

Grass Fed Beef, Wild salmon, Free range chickens.....That's where it's at folks.

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: December 24, 2011, 09:16:12 AM »
Bob Chick should chime in here, as his insight would be valuable, with his many years of experience in the sport as both a top competitor and supplement rep.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #67 on: December 24, 2011, 11:39:30 AM »

look at the guys face on the far right, lmfao where do you find this stuff

OptimusPrime1980

• Getbig IV
  • FODA SE! ;)
« Reply #68 on: December 24, 2011, 01:34:18 PM »
look at the guys face on the far right, lmfao where do you find this stuff