Author Topic: How much protein do we REALLY need?  (Read 9071 times)

anab0lic

• Getbig II
How much protein do we REALLY need?
« on: December 22, 2011, 02:55:57 AM »
Ever tried significantly reducing protein intake and replacing those calories with Fats/carbs and noticed that your gains are just as good?  Then you realise less money spent on protein powders,meat etc = more money to spend on gear which = a bigger you.

I have for a long while now felt that some of the protein recomendations of so called 'experts ' is complete bullshit, how much we really need I have no idea... but taking my protein up to 2g per lb or even 1.5 per lb never gave me better gains...

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
Re: How much protein do we REALLY need?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 02:57:28 AM »
its much less than people in this industry says, i made great gains in periods i ate like shit.

i think the body utilises nutrients much better when it doesnt come in huge proportions.

The Grim Lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 03:09:41 AM »
Because of an ad on this board i bought this book (the ad was for part 2 but i thought i'd try part 1)

The only reason we are told we need more protein? $$$. Before protein supplements the bodybuilding/weightlifting industry had fuck all to sell. Just barbells. Which last 50 years. Protein powders are needed each month.

I've tried going below 100 grams and noticed no difference. Eating 1+ grams per pound of BW starts adding fat unless the cardio is high.

I think the biggest thing is recovery. As you get stronger and can put more intensity on the body, you need to do less to break down the muscle. Also you need to take breaks to rest the CNS. Nutrition obviously helps recovery but eating enough good nutrients when hungry, not force feeding yourself.

It's a very good book. Fair bit i flipped through as he rambles at times but the main stuff on Weider vs Hoffman and early training ideas is there.

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 03:09:41 AM »
More than 1g/lb and less than 2g/lb

Personally i find 1.25 - 1.5g/lb works best.
Did not grow on 1g/lb. Using more than 1.5g/lb did not make me grow more than being in the range stated above.
tank u jesus

greeneyes

• Getbig IV
  • TeaM beautiful éyés FéLLa whén he eatiNg
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 03:13:52 AM »
150g to build a normal physique
200g to build a beach physique
300g to build a national competitor physique
+ 450g to be build mr olympia physique

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 03:17:17 AM »
Depends on how much meat, milk, etc. you like to eat.
I think it's not much... 70-150g depending on weight and genetics. One thing I noticed is that many nadualls who eat huge protein meals/shakes is they get fat and watery.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 03:28:39 AM »
Ever tried significantly reducing protein intake and replacing those calories with Fats/carbs and noticed that your gains are just as good?  Then you realise less money spent on protein powders,meat etc = more money to spend on gear which = a bigger you.

I have for a long while now felt that some of the protein recomendations of so called 'experts ' is complete bullshit, how much we really need I have no idea... but taking my protein up to 2g per lb or even 1.5 per lb never gave me better gains...
I have couple months doing this and I look the same.

And stronger.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 03:30:10 AM »
Plus I save some money..

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 03:40:02 AM »
I have couple months doing this and I look the same.

And stronger.

Good to hear mon ami

Vive la france

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 03:47:26 AM »
Good to hear mon ami

Vive la france
;D

Super Natural

• Getbig IV
  • Repent of Soy liberalism.
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 04:00:27 AM »
IMO it Depends..

Off season  when I'm 180 + pounds I take in much less (I do fine on 180g-200g and rather push the carbs up to 400-500g has a protien sparing effect. I find off season more protein doesn't give me "more gains" either.

pre contest @ 158 pounds my protien is higher though (250-300g protein) carbs lower but always there and cycled between 50-150g with carb ups every so often  (up to 600g-800g carbs once a week normally or when I get very flat (I do lower protein on these carb up days). I never go keto not the most effective diet IMO

I find the Main benefit for higher Protein pre contest or when dieting is it's suppression effect on hunger. Especially lower carb days. Essential fat I keep moderate 40-50g a day I don't see much benefit in going higher fat in my experience. Whether that's too much protein or too little who knows, but this was what I did in 2009 to get into this condition.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 04:04:37 AM »
IMO it Depends..

Off season  when I'm 180 + pounds I take in much less (I do fine on 180g-200g and rather push the carbs up to 400-500g.

pre contest @ 158 pounds (250-300g protein) carbs are cycled 50-150g with carb ups every so often  (up to 600g-800g carbs once a week normally or when I get very flat (I do lower protein on these carb up days).

I find the Main benefit for higher Protein pre contest or when dieting is it's suppression effect on hunger. Especially lower carb days. Essential fat I keep moderate 40-50g a day I don't see much benefit in going higher fat in my experience. Whether that's too much protein or too little who knows, but this was what I did in 2009 to get into this condition.

You look great!

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 04:05:15 AM »
IMO it Depends..

Off season  when I'm 180 + pounds I take in much less (I do fine on 180g-200g and rather push the carbs up to 400-500g.

pre contest @ 158 pounds (250-300g protein) carbs are cycled 50-150g with carb ups every so often  (up to 600g-800g carbs once a week normally or when I get very flat (I do lower protein on these carb up days).

Now that's conditioning ;D What's your height and weight there? Also, what did your arms and waist measured at that time?

Tito24

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 04:17:40 AM »
retarted how people also count the protein intake, who cares. if you train hard eat healthy its ok

Super Natural

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 04:19:27 AM »
Now that's conditioning ;D What's your height and weight there? Also, what did your arms and waist measured at that time?

Thanks, that's the leanest I've gotten so far, I had those BW pics of Dorian yates and Humdullah as my goal  8)

I weighed in under 154 pounds @ 5,7
waist about 30- 29 -  my pants were falling off me.
Arms  ??? I don't know I've never measured them

Super Natural

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2011, 04:21:42 AM »

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2011, 04:25:20 AM »
Thanks, that's the leanest I've gotten so far, I had those BW pics of Dorian yates and Humdullah as my goal  8)

I weighed in under 154 pounds @ 5,7
waist about 30- 29 -  my pants were falling off me.
Arms  ??? I don't know I've never measured them

Good work man

That takes lots of drive and determination to get to that level of conditioning, so much respect to you sir 8)

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2011, 04:26:12 AM »
You look great!

agreed. what makes it more impressive is the degree of conditioning. you seldom see guys that lean anymore cause takes a shit ton of discipline to get there. this guy busted his ass and didn't rely on drugs to get there
b

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2011, 04:26:34 AM »
great physique, good lines and conditioning

greeneyes

• Getbig IV
  • TeaM beautiful éyés FéLLa whén he eatiNg
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2011, 04:28:22 AM »
pre contest @ 158 pounds (250-300mg test ) winstrol vials are cycled 50-150mg with carb ups every so often  (up to 600mg-800mg tren a once a week normally or when I get very flat (I do lower protein on these carb up days).

fixed

Super Natural

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2011, 04:32:29 AM »

Tito24

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2011, 04:34:21 AM »

ChevChelios

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2011, 04:35:37 AM »
You look great but you are as natural as ron coleman is  :D
GETBIG!

Super Natural

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2011, 04:50:37 AM »
You look great but you are as natural as ron coleman is  :D

;D I can understand why you'd think that but that's me on my own in a photo...put me next to a guy on tren, winstrol, HGH etc. and I'd pale in comparison. I got very lean and this was the day after a big carb up and posing practice.. normally I was small and flat with no veins.
If you saw me in real life you would see I'm not using which I swear on my life I'm not. I hate "fake natural liars" as much as any of you guys and I've been lied to my face by a few myself, if in the future I cross over to the dark side & post up a pic on getbig I swear I will say so and what.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2011, 04:51:44 AM »
Because of an ad on this board i bought this book (the ad was for part 2 but i thought i'd try part 1)

The only reason we are told we need more protein? $$$. Before protein supplements the bodybuilding/weightlifting industry had fuck all to sell. Just barbells. Which last 50 years. Protein powders are needed each month.

I've tried going below 100 grams and noticed no difference. Eating 1+ grams per pound of BW starts adding fat unless the cardio is high.
I think the biggest thing is recovery. As you get stronger and can put more intensity on the body, you need to do less to break down the muscle. Also you need to take breaks to rest the CNS. Nutrition obviously helps recovery but eating enough good nutrients when hungry, not force feeding yourself.

It's a very good book. Fair bit i flipped through as he rambles at times but the main stuff on Weider vs Hoffman and early training ideas is there.

We can argue this all day butlot of experts and myself believe the protein can't stor as fat, so you are fat gained is not from protein, I have tested this and eaten protein non stop and it didn't store as fat not even a gram, the extra calories will stop you from losing fat cause you have burn them anyway but no fat storage will occure