Author Topic: New Smartphones...Too Big ???????  (Read 4581 times)

dustin

Re: New Smartphones...Too Big ???????
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2012, 03:25:59 PM »
I gave it a shot when I got my first Galaxy, didn't stick with it because there was no voice-to-text option on that keyboard, and I do that a lot. I'll check to see if this one has it

Download the new version, big boss. It actually has a ridiculously accurate voice-to-text option now.

I tested it out and nearly filled two text message worth of text and there were no errors. After a few more tests I was able to pick up deliberate mistakes, but overall I was pretty floored at how accurate it is. If I need to send an urgent text while driving I use Swype's microphone option to send a quick text reply.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2012, 03:30:38 PM »
When I finally get a tablet I am going to have a belt hook made and walk around like it's my new phone.  ;D

Yrs ago when the brick phones were around, people anted smaller, than smaller arrived then big started coming back again...

Xerxes

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2012, 03:46:29 PM »
If I didn't have an Iphone I would buy the same one Groink, it's pretty awesome. You need to start using a manbag.  :D

Hiitsmichael

• Getbig II
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2012, 03:53:28 PM »
I guess, that's probably it, i could text on my old phone in my sleep, this one i'm constantly fucking up because it's just slightly bigger, I'm using two thumbs now , where i only used one on my old phone. And like Quaker said, it's so light that you constantly fumble with it..it like bounces off my fingers if i don't have it securely..a heavier phone probably sits in your hand more solidly
Try the app better keyboard 8 and turn on auto correct, I almost never hit every letter ptoprrly but somehow iit knows what I'm trying to say haha

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2012, 04:00:06 PM »
Try the app better keyboard 8 and turn on auto correct, I almost never hit every letter ptoprrly but somehow iit knows what I'm trying to say haha
Yeah.....ok
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • significantly cheaper and federally legal
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2012, 05:07:08 PM »
Yeah.....ok

Are you suggesting that "Hiitsmichael" takes it in the can?

240_Iz_Nutz

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2012, 07:15:56 PM »
have you tried Swype for typing? Works good for me

I like Swype a lot. Works great on the phone. When I got my 7 inch tablet, the thing seems monster sized.

portwine

• Getbig II
  • beans, baby, beans
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2012, 09:35:10 PM »
got the nexus right before xmas for free when the verizon plus stores did the one
day promo on the 19th where all smartphones (including nexus and iphone 4s)
were free with the purchase of 2 accessories at 30% off.  I got a leather case
for my mom's cell phone and a few screen protectors.  pretty sweet deal.
the phone is sick!  google earth is pretty handy for getting lost in some of the
areas here in los angeles. 

has anyone else jumped on that glitch going on with verizon for getting
ur data package bumped up to Unlimited for free without having been grandfathered
into the old plan?
I did...with 2 phones!  I had just got the iphone 4s a few weeks ago (luckily
i found out about the verizon plus free nexus phone thing with 2 days left to
return my iphone for a refund of $170)  and I am soooo happy about now
having unlimited data!  I even got a device to turn my nexus into a mobile
hotspot without accessing the hotspot feature thru verizon and so far verizon
hasn't said or done anything about unauthorized tethering. 
milk milk lemonade a

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2012, 09:41:03 PM »
got the nexus right before xmas for free when the verizon plus stores did the one
day promo on the 19th where all smartphones (including nexus and iphone 4s)
were free with the purchase of 2 accessories at 30% off.  I got a leather case
for my mom's cell phone and a few screen protectors.  pretty sweet deal.
the phone is sick!  google earth is pretty handy for getting lost in some of the
areas here in los angeles. 

has anyone else jumped on that glitch going on with verizon for getting
ur data package bumped up to Unlimited for free without having been grandfathered
into the old plan?
I did...with 2 phones!  I had just got the iphone 4s a few weeks ago (luckily
i found out about the verizon plus free nexus phone thing with 2 days left to
return my iphone for a refund of $170)  and I am soooo happy about now
having unlimited data!  I even got a device to turn my nexus into a mobile
hotspot without accessing the hotspot feature thru verizon and so far verizon
hasn't said or done anything about unauthorized tethering. 

Was just reading a story of someone who tried to exploit that glitch, but Verizon caught him and charged him for the overages, tread carefully my friend!

I picked up two new items this holiday season, the new Motorola Atrix 2 from at&t, 4.3 inch screen on this smartphone, so I too have dropped it a few times already (I have unlimited data with them because I was grandfathered in"

And the new Motorola Droid Xyboard 10.1 from Verizon!  :D  tabbing away!

io856

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2012, 09:43:17 PM »

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2012, 09:55:08 PM »
I got the new Samsung Galaxy II for Xmas, and although i love the phone...it's ridiculous..It's just a little too big in my opinion. I never dropped my old phone, like NEVER...and I've dropped this thing 5 times already..I can honestly say i didn't drop my old phone 5 times in a year and a half.

It just is a little too big to handle easily. and from what I understand, there are even bigger ones.

I gave my daughter my old Galaxy S, it was in perfect condition, and I'm like "hey, you wanna use Dad's new phone?"...LOL...I miss my old phone..HA

So is this smartphone bigger than my Droid? I actually picked the Droid over an Iphone because the screen is larger. I have really big hands and old eyes, I need a big screen to see what's on it and the larger keyboard to be able to key in anything without touching two or three keys at once. So far, after a little over a year and a half, I've not dropped it once. At least now, I don't haul my labtop to Starbucks with me 'cause I can do most things on the smartphone that I was doing on the laptop there....like posting on Getbig. LOL.

One major problem is that the smartphone is too big to fit in the pouch of my thong when I wear that out in public....suppose I could just shove it in my ass crack! Just kidding.

portwine

• Getbig II
  • beans, baby, beans
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2012, 10:39:10 PM »
I'm not sure what size the screen on ur droid is, but for reference, iphones have a 3.5" screen.
the new nexus has a 4.65" screen.
it's only a little over an inch but it makes the phone look twice as big.
Also, while the nexus is dramatically bigger, it's also lighter than the iphone!
camera's great.  love every feature i've found so far.
I used siri on the iphone for over a week and i prefer google voice assistant.

regarding the tethering, I only use the hotspot feature when needed, otherwise I'm strictly
using my phone for the unlimited.  And I don't think the story you read was about this same
deal verizon is running as they've been sending mixed announcements in regard to it. 
you could totally be right tho', but no individuals have been reporting any problems with
verizon and this unlimited data so far.   helps that we're not doing anything illegal or
against the rules even (tethering aside)
milk milk lemonade a

portwine

• Getbig II
  • beans, baby, beans
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2012, 10:43:02 PM »
I got in on a ton of best buy's blackfriday online sales.
I'm almost embarassed to say how much I spent,
but I've got a free nexus, 73" 3d 120hz mitsubishi tv,
20 ps3 games (including all new psMove stuff),
the 10" acer iconia tab, 7" acer iconia tablet, and
the 7" dell streak tablet all for less than 1500.
no lie.

(all but the nexus and a few of the ps3 games n stuff
were from bestbuy.com)
milk milk lemonade a

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2012, 11:08:50 PM »
I'm not sure what size the screen on ur droid is, but for reference, iphones have a 3.5" screen.
the new nexus has a 4.65" screen.
it's only a little over an inch but it makes the phone look twice as big.
Also, while the nexus is dramatically bigger, it's also lighter than the iphone!
camera's great.  love every feature i've found so far.
I used siri on the iphone for over a week and i prefer google voice assistant.

Just measured the Droid and it is 4.25" assuming you are supposed to do a diagonal measurement like with a monitor. Like you said on these little puppies an inch makes a big difference.

The droid is heavy. You definitely know when it is in your pocket.

I too use Verizon. Currently, the plan I am on is still unlimited when it comes to data. Although I don't really use it enough to get anywhere close to using up limits. I don't like talking on the phone much either. All my calls are short and to the point. In Oregon, it is illegal to talk on a cell phone unless it is hands free. It hardly seems worth buying the equipment for that when I probably make or get a call less than once a day.

My wife has a flip phone. She's yet to use it once in the four years she's had it. I charge it for her and that is where it stays is on the charger. The only way she'd have it on her is if I put it in her purse for her. LOL!

We still have land two land lines at the house, which some folks would say is unnecessary. We've had the same phone numbers in the house for thirty + years....it is hard to part with them.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2012, 07:43:16 AM »
ive got a Samsung Replenish and my only complaint is that the back is so slick that it slides out of your hand all the time, its also very light and thin.
Who'd you steal it from, Mirza?  ::)
Is Margaret impressed by your cool new phone?
!

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2012, 07:50:09 AM »
I got the new Samsung Galaxy II for Xmas, and although i love the phone...it's ridiculous..It's just a little too big in my opinion. I never dropped my old phone, like NEVER...and I've dropped this thing 5 times already..I can honestly say i didn't drop my old phone 5 times in a year and a half.

It just is a little too big to handle easily. and from what I understand, there are even bigger ones.

I gave my daughter my old Galaxy S, it was in perfect condition, and I'm like "hey, you wanna use Dad's new phone?"...LOL...I miss my old phone..HA

Maybe its those GH sausage fingers you got going on.

Schnauzer

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2012, 07:54:56 AM »
Cutler uses an iPad for a phone to make his jaw look normal size

ironneck

• Getbig V
  • team young getbiggers
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2012, 07:55:30 AM »
i love my galaxy sII

it fell only once in 6 weeks but nothing happened

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2012, 07:59:34 AM »
I've been using my HTC Hero for two years now and I love it - hence the reason I haven't changed handsets in that time. I bought a nice rubber casing for it so it never slips out my hands. However, I was actually considering getting the Samsung Galaxy Note (below) and even though I've got fairly big hands, it almost looks TOO big - too big to be practical and slip into your jeans pockets for example. I was only considering getting it to double it up as a sat-nav because the Hero's CPU is pretty weak and can't take all the info needed.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2012, 08:04:45 AM »
Groink... This is what I've been saying for the past year or so... All of the new Android phones are coming with these massive screens.

They look great, but the user interaction on a screen that large is difficult with one hand.

If the iphone keeps the same form factor, I will never leave it.

portwine

• Getbig II
  • beans, baby, beans
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2012, 11:56:00 AM »
I've been using my HTC Hero for two years now and I love it - hence the reason I haven't changed handsets in that time. I bought a nice rubber casing for it so it never slips out my hands. However, I was actually considering getting the Samsung Galaxy Note (below) and even though I've got fairly big hands, it almost looks TOO big - too big to be practical and slip into your jeans pockets for example. I was only considering getting it to double it up as a sat-nav because the Hero's CPU is pretty weak and can't take all the info needed.

I've been drooling over the Galaxy note since I started looking for new phones in August!
the specs on that phone are just amazing and the size is to die for.
best camera on any phone in the market, 5.5" screen, built in stylis,
and it's ice cream sandwich (android 4.0) update i believe is now available.
only problem is getting an unlocked version stateside.  Can't get one for
less than $600 unless u live in europe or asia!!

but the free galaxy nexus will keep me busy for awhile :)
milk milk lemonade a

smoothasf

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2012, 12:03:42 PM »
I have the s2 its faster better screen better size and all the apps can be installed for free. My gf.looks at her iphone with distain everytime she sees mine.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2012, 12:40:24 PM »
Groink... This is what I've been saying for the past year or so... All of the new Android phones are coming with these massive screens.

They look great, but the user interaction on a screen that large is difficult with one hand.

If the iphone keeps the same form factor, I will never leave it.

this..i love my phone...it's fucking amazing. but 4 inches is all the screen you need. it's a Phone...not a pad

I want to be able to manipulate my phone easily with one hand, it should not be a two hand operation.

The first galaxy was the perfect size phone..I wish they would just offer than exact phone but with the latest tech... but all the droids just keep getting bigger and bigger...what's next ...5 inch screens ??

smoothasf

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2012, 12:42:50 PM »
Ive got small hands and though this is awesome for viewing videos I think it should loose half an inch. They could do that by loosing the button on the bottom rather than the screen

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2012, 12:51:09 PM »
I've been waiting for the Nexus for months, but now I'm passing because the battery life is very restrictive, even with 4G turned off.  Big screens require tons of power.
Y