Author Topic: New Smartphones...Too Big ???????  (Read 4591 times)

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
Re: New Smartphones...Too Big ???????
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2012, 01:01:01 PM »
I've been waiting for the Nexus for months, but now I'm passing because the battery life is very restrictive, even with 4G turned off.  Big screens require tons of power.

fuck yeah...my phone doesn't make it 14 hours without needing a charge. and it's a week old, latest greatest shit, supposedly "high end' battery  ::)

portwine

• Getbig II
  • beans, baby, beans
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2012, 03:06:54 PM »
verizon is selling back-up batteries for the nexus at $20 a pop.
I got 2 extras.
considering i got the phone and one battery for free, $40 for
the nexus PLUS 3 batteries is a no-brainer. 
milk milk lemonade a

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2012, 05:42:07 PM »
verizon is selling back-up batteries for the nexus at $20 a pop.
I got 2 extras.
considering i got the phone and one battery for free, $40 for
the nexus PLUS 3 batteries is a no-brainer. 

The fact that they are selling batteries at all is hysterical. The reason I have the Droid is because my Samsung Slide's battery was no longer holding a charge. I went to the Verizon store to get a replacement battery, since this is where I got the phone, and they told me they don't carry batteries, sending me to Batteries Plus for one. The battery I needed was out of stock and cost about $50 which is exactly what the Droid cost me at Costco.

I suspect cell phones are a throwaway item after two years. Seems like a waste. But such are the times we live in.

My Linksys wireless router is about three years old. The past week or so, I have had to reset it several times because it it dropping the connection. Guess it is time to replace this too....sigh!

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2012, 06:13:59 PM »
I'm personally liking this new trend of bigger crisper screens... Its definitely a luxury, not needed, not like we'd die without it, and its not for everyone, but I like it!

When I don't have my Android tablet on me (not all that often) the big screen Android phone is a nice substitute to keep me connected!!

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2012, 06:21:16 PM »
I'm personally liking this new trend of bigger crisper screens... Its definitely a luxury, not needed, not like we'd die without it, and its not for everyone, but I like it!

When I don't have my Android tablet on me (not all that often) the big screen Android phone is a nice substitute to keep me connected!!

I hear you on the screens, but I also have a problem with them.  I love my Droid X when I'm on the train or at the office or on the bowl.   If I'm hiking in the woods, trail running, etc, I don't like it.  I wish we could swap the SIM cards into small flip phone in the US, but that's probably for a later date.

The Nexus is running ICS and is everything I've waited for in a phone.  But like Groink says the size is too much, and the battery issue makes it a no go.   I'm finding myself being lured in by Apple, due to it's size and camera quality.  I'll miss the customization, but will get over it.
Y

portwine

• Getbig II
  • beans, baby, beans
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2012, 06:28:08 PM »
returned my iphone 4s for the nexus.
totally happy with having done so.
but, i should add that i also have the ipod touch 4th gen.
and from what i saw in the week n a half of playing with
the iphone, the only thing the ipod touch can't do is siri.
and considering my touch is the 32gb, i've got the best of
both worlds in terms of using ios and android. 
milk milk lemonade a

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2012, 07:07:52 PM »
Remember how big cell phones were, then they started getting smaller, and they made fun of this in Zoolander?  Then the phones started getting to be close to that small, but now we have smart phones and they are big again.  Not sure where I'm going with this, but had to share it.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2012, 07:10:08 PM »
Remember how big cell phones were, then they started getting smaller, and they made fun of this in Zoolander?  Then the phones started getting to be close to that small, but now we have smart phones and they are big again.  Not sure where I'm going with this, but had to share it.

Random expression....works every time.

TRIX

• Getbig IV
  • If you mess with me I'll have to fuck you up
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2012, 07:39:10 PM »
THE GALAXY S2 ISNT EVEN BIG, AND I HAVE SMALL HANDS AND IM A TWINK

HOPE THIS HELPS

TRIX

• Getbig IV
  • If you mess with me I'll have to fuck you up
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2012, 07:47:55 PM »
btw YOU CAN GET ICE CREAM SANDWICH

- STILL SOME BUGS, BUT SHOULD BE FIXED IN A FEW WEEKS

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2012, 08:24:09 PM »
I hear you on the screens, but I also have a problem with them.  I love my Droid X when I'm on the train or at the office or on the bowl.   If I'm hiking in the woods, trail running, etc, I don't like it.  I wish we could swap the SIM cards into small flip phone in the US, but that's probably for a later date.

The Nexus is running ICS and is everything I've waited for in a phone.  But like Groink says the size is too much, and the battery issue makes it a no go.   I'm finding myself being lured in by Apple, due to it's size and camera quality.  I'll miss the customization, but will get over it.

You can swap Sims if you have at&t or t mobile or any gsm provider, I often do that when I'm traveling and have two or three cell phones on me from the US, Europe, and Egypt!

But Verizon and sprint use cdma and that's connected to the device.... But their 4g lte service uses a Sim card so that can be moved.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior

dustin

« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2012, 08:49:02 PM »
Don't sweat the battery life at first. Do FULL battery drains and don't leave it constantly charged.

If you're geekier and have your Android device rooted, download an app called Battery Calibration. Calibrate it just once after a week or two of solid usage and see how things go.

One of the biggest drains is syncing. If you have Facebook, Twitter or an email app make sure it's not checking hourly. Developers usually program them to sync in very short intervals to provide the best user experience, without taking battery life into consideration. I've tweaks a few very accessible settings on people's phones and gotten 10 more hours to a charge. Nothing super technical was done either, just a few settings changes.

I'm getting the Galaxy Nexus when my provider gets it. Phones are $600+ outright in Canada and I can't even buy one outright from another provider because they're in such high demand. Such an awesome phone. Lots of nerds modding the shit out of it too. 8)

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2012, 09:00:11 PM »
Don't sweat the battery life at first. Do FULL battery drains and don't leave it constantly charged.

If you're geekier and have your Android device rooted, download an app called Battery Calibration. Calibrate it just once after a week or two of solid usage and see how things go.

One of the biggest drains is syncing. If you have Facebook, Twitter or an email app make sure it's not checking hourly. Developers usually program them to sync in very short intervals to provide the best user experience, without taking battery life into consideration. I've tweaks a few very accessible settings on people's phones and gotten 10 more hours to a charge. Nothing super technical was done either, just a few settings changes.

I'm getting the Galaxy Nexus when my provider gets it. Phones are $600+ outright in Canada and I can't even buy one outright from another provider because they're in such high demand. Such an awesome phone. Lots of nerds modding the shit out of it too. 8)

Bingo!  Good post right there, I practically have all my syncing off except for my Gmail. 
My other E-mails, facebook, Currents, google+, talk, news, etc etc etc are all set for only manual sync which I perform whenever I need to see something there.  Makes a huge difference on battery life!

Something else to consider - most people won't like to hear this.... if you have a 4G LTE phone... turn off the 4G LTE, and run it on 3G cdma - thats plenty fast for day to day usage.... you really practically need 4G LTE if you're trying to stream movies and videos - so save it for that and it will save you some serious battery life!

mrgut

• Getbig II
« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2012, 09:41:00 PM »
Bought my wife the HTC Rezound, fucking fast as hell.

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2012, 09:56:03 PM »

io856

dustin

« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2012, 10:31:55 PM »
Bingo!  Good post right there, I practically have all my syncing off except for my Gmail. 
My other E-mails, facebook, Currents, google+, talk, news, etc etc etc are all set for only manual sync which I perform whenever I need to see something there.  Makes a huge difference on battery life!

Something else to consider - most people won't like to hear this.... if you have a 4G LTE phone... turn off the 4G LTE, and run it on 3G cdma - thats plenty fast for day to day usage.... you really practically need 4G LTE if you're trying to stream movies and videos - so save it for that and it will save you some serious battery life!

Huge differences for sure, man. I don't compromise syncing and still get over 30 hours of life on a charge. I used my phone all day long and text like mad.

If I had a 4G LTE phone I'd keep it on 3G server and only enable 4G when watching videos and stuff. Heck, most 2G networks are fine if it's just for calls too. If you have great 2G coverage and poor 3G coverage then that'd make sense.

I'm fortunate to have awesome 3G coverage and a tower near my home, work place and places I hang out. A good network helps because your phone isn't always ranging or flip flopping and shit.