Author Topic: Mitt Romney will lose the general election  (Read 1467 times)

howardroark

• Getbig IV
  • Resident Objectivist & Autodidact
Re: Mitt Romney will lose the general election
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2012, 04:24:08 PM »
I mean exactly what I said

btw - if your hero RP were elected the economy would take a nose dive from where it is today

Actually, it would boom. How do you expect an economic recovery to take place when the government is sucking up all the funds that would normally be invested in private industry?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2012, 04:24:11 PM »
And the pussy chooses to run from this thread aka he can't explain how because he's too fucking stupid to understand any economic concept that doesn't involve "spend as much as you can print, br0s!"

What a joke.

I choose not to waste my time on YOU

period

Ron Paul plan would be an economic disaster for this country but it's really a moot point since he'll never be elected and even if he was he could never put his plan into place

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2012, 04:25:44 PM »
Actually, it would boom. How do you expect an economic recovery to take place when the government is sucking up all the funds that would normally be invested in private industry?

really, well the Eurozone has adopted an austerity plan so I guess we should be getting ready for their boom and day now.

I'm sure their drop in GDP after starting austerity is just them squatting down so they can jump up

howardroark

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2012, 04:28:57 PM »
really, well the Eurozone has adopted an austerity plan so I guess we should be getting ready for their boom and day now.

I'm sure their drop in GDP after starting austerity is just them squatting down so they can jump up

Haha - really? You're gonna compare cutting spending and taxes to increasing spending and raising taxes even more? Two completely different policies there, buddy: the former increases the funds available for investment, the latter decreases them.

What this reveals is a more fundamental level of nonunderstanding of economics on your part. So please, elaborate on how an economic recovery is NOT hampered when the government sucks up funds that could have been used for productive investment.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2012, 04:37:05 PM »
Haha - really? You're gonna compare cutting spending and taxes to increasing spending and raising taxes even more? Two completely different policies there, buddy: the former increases the funds available for investment, the latter decreases them.

What this reveals is a more fundamental level of nonunderstanding of economics on your part. So please, elaborate on how an economic recovery is NOT hampered when the government sucks up funds that could have been used for productive investment.

so you think our government is currently "sucking up funds" that could be used for productive investment ?

howardroark

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2012, 04:55:30 PM »
so you think our government is currently "sucking up funds" that could be used for productive investment ?

What is a deficit? Where does that money come from?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2012, 05:57:09 PM »
What is a deficit? Where does that money come from?

you know the answer

how about this

goverment drastically cuts spending which means all those $'s are no longer paid to employees, contractors etc...

I presume we would take the money we didn't spend and divert it toward paying down the debt and that would be a good thing

what happens to consumer spending

how about unemployment

howardroark

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2012, 06:08:55 PM »
Government drastically cuts spending. Because government is no longer borrowing over a trillion dollars a year from the private sector, those funds are now freed up for investment and consumption. Thus, economic activity shifts away from government toward the private sector.

If we are to assume an open economy, which we have, the reduction in government deficits will also decrease our trade deficit, by decreasing our capital surplus which drives the current account deficits. So one other area where economic activity will shift is away from government and toward export-oriented industries.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2012, 06:13:36 PM »
Government drastically cuts spending. Because government is no longer borrowing over a trillion dollars a year from the private sector, those funds are now freed up for investment and consumption. Thus, economic activity shifts away from government toward the private sector.

If we are to assume an open economy, which we have, the reduction in government deficits will also decrease our trade deficit, by decreasing our capital surplus which drives the current account deficits. So one other area where economic activity will shift is away from government and toward export-oriented industries.

so the investors who are buying government bonds (which are at record low yields due to high demand) are suddenly going to stop being risk averse and intead pursue riskier investments?

why would they do that and what is stopping them from doing it now?

howardroark

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2012, 06:25:55 PM »
Riskier investments have higher returns for a reason.  ;)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2012, 07:41:57 PM »
Those polls don't support the thread title.
actually they do... When the Obama lie machine actually starts campaigning he's going to be hard to beat.  Those numbers are not good enough to state Obama has no chance like 3333 says.  And Obama is going to have way more money to spend?  ouch...  With these candidates out there for several months now agressively attacking Obama, those numbers should be a lot more for the republicans. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2012, 07:44:08 PM »
I mean exactly what I said

btw - if your hero RP were elected the economy would take a nose dive from where it is today
Do you take idiot pills to be this stupid or does it just come naturally?

howardroark

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2012, 07:56:52 PM »
Do you take idiot pills to be this stupid or does it just come naturally?

I can't blame him... the majority of the economics profession still believes in this voodoo bullshit where the government can take out of one pocket and put it into another and still have a net positive impact on the economy.

Things that make you go  ???

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2012, 08:05:24 PM »
I can't blame him... the majority of the economics profession still believes in this voodoo bullshit where the government can take out of one pocket and put it into another and still have a net positive impact on the economy.

Things that make you go  ???

I didn't even know Austrian economics existed until I came across it on my own time. All my classes were either Keynesian bullshit or Chicago-based.

howardroark

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2012, 08:19:17 PM »
I didn't even know Austrian economics existed until I came across it on my own time. All my classes were either Keynesian bullshit or Chicago-based.

Same here... the sad thing is that there are some glaringly obvious holes in Keynesian theory that I wasn't able to catch on my own. They have you so caught up memorizing mathematical models that by the time it's all said and done no critical thinking has been done. What's even more sad is that the mainstream "free market" alternative to Keynesian theory is Ricardian equivalence. Only out-of-touch eggheads could come up with shit like that.

howardroark

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2012, 08:20:45 PM »
BTW, something I noticed about academic economics: at the school I went to, my econometrics, macroeconomics, microeconomics, and international trade profs were all had undergrad degrees in math and none had one in econ.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2012, 08:57:56 PM »
Riskier investments have higher returns for a reason.  ;)

no shit

your assumption is that somehow risk appetite would greatly increase

right?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2012, 08:59:19 PM »
no shit

right?

In a one on one Romney is already beating Obama.   At this pint Carter was way ahead of Reagan.   Obama vs Romney one on one and Obama goes back to Kenya w uncle Omar and auntie zeiutuni

howardroark

• Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2012, 09:07:50 PM »
no shit

right?

No.

Riskier assets carry greater returns. In the absence of those government bonds being traded on the markets, some investors would accept slightly greater risk for greater returns (thereby bringing down interest rates for funding those privately run investment projects). Others would not and would instead consume their income.

"Risk appetite" doesn't have to change one bit. Only because someone is invested in government bonds does not mean that they are extraordinarily risk-averse. All it means is that they prefer the risk/return that government bonds offer to other bonds. Thus, in the absence of government bonds, they would either accept investing in riskier assets with greater returns, while the few who do not wish to do so will simply consume their own income.

Your assumption seems to be that if it weren't for the government bonds, real money balances would skyrocket. That is patently absurd.