Author Topic: 2012 NFL Hall of Fame  (Read 2640 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
2012 NFL Hall of Fame
« on: January 07, 2012, 05:49:29 PM »
Too bad Roger Craig and Terrell Davis didn't make the cut.  I think Tim Brown, Carter, Reed, and Bettis should get in. Martin has the numbers, but I was never really all that impressed with him.  Maybe because I didn't see him play much. 

Bill Parcells on HOF finalists list
Associated Press

CANTON, Ohio -- Bill Parcells moved one step closer to Canton on Saturday when the Pro Football Hall of Fame released a list of 15 modern-era finalists for enshrinement that included the Super Bowl-winning coach.

Wide receivers Tim Brown, Cris Carter and Andre Reed, running backs Jerome Bettis and Curtis Martin and former Kansas City Chiefs guard Will Shields also made the cut when the 26 semifinalists were pared down through a mail ballot.

The final list of candidates also includes two senior nominees: former Steelers defensive back Jack Butler and former Lions guard Dick Stanfel.

The Hall's selection committee meets in Indianapolis next month. A finalist must receive 80 percent of the vote to be selected.

Between four and seven enshrinees will be announced Feb. 5. the day before the Super Bowl, and inducted in August in the Hall's 50th class.

Parcells and Shields were the only two candidates to make the list of finalists in their first year of eligibility. The notable exclusions from the semifinal list include former NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue, ex-Chargers coach Don Coryell and running backs Roger Craig and Terrell Davis.

Parcells is considered a first-year candidate under new requirements that were put in place in 2008, after he had been a nominee in 2001 and 2002. The new rule makes it mandatory for coaches, like players, to be retired for five consecutive seasons. Before that, coaches were eligible immediately upon retirement.

Parcells won two Super Bowls with the New York Giants in 1987 and 1991, then coached the Patriots and Jets before retiring in 1999. He returned to coach the Cowboys in 2003.

Bettis ranks fifth on the NFL rushing list with 13,662 yards in 13 seasons, three for the Rams and a decade with the Steelers, with whom he won the 2006 Super Bowl in his final game. Martin ranks fourth with 14,101 yards with the Patriots and Jets from 1995 to 2005.

Other finalists include DB Aeneas Williams, DEs/LBs Chris Doleman, Kevin Greene and Charles Haley, DT Cortez Kennedy, C Dermontti Dawson, offensive tackle Willie Roaf and owner Edward DeBartolo Jr.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7435895/pro-football-hall-fame-finalists-bill-parcells-cris-carter-andre-reed-tim-brown

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
Re: 2012 NFL Hall of Fame
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 05:15:25 AM »

I think too many players get elected in every year, anyway. Just too many players get in every year. The hall of fame is supposed to be the best of the best.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 08:31:10 AM »
carter , bettis and curtis martin should get in. andre reed was in 4 straight superbowls and yet no respect. kevin greene not even a mention are you kidding me.
F

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 12:45:46 PM »

I think too many players get elected in every year, anyway. Just too many players get in every year. The hall of fame is supposed to be the best of the best.

I epsecially dislike the fact that just about every owner and commissioner (except Tags) gets in eventually. 

~

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 12:49:47 PM »
I epsecially dislike the fact that just about every owner and commissioner (except Tags) gets in eventually. 

I agree, but I think Tagliabue is deserving. The league exploded under his watch, and when he left the NFL was in a better position than when he got there..that's all you can really ask for a commissioner.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 12:54:01 PM »
I agree, but I think Tagliabue is deserving. The league exploded under his watch, and when he left the NFL was in a better position than when he got there..that's all you can really ask for a commissioner.

He's probably as deserving as any of his predecessors...it just comes of as an "entitlement" with these guys. 
~

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 04:37:38 PM »
Curtis Martin leads six HOF enshrinees
Associated Press

INDIANAPOLIS -- Curtis Martin has gone from the mean streets of Pittsburgh to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

The star running back with the Patriots and Jets for 11 seasons was one of six players elected Saturday to the shrine. Martin once disliked playing the game, but used it to escape a neighborhood where his grandmother was murdered.

"When I get awarded something like the Hall of Fame, it's almost foreign to me," said Martin, the NFL's No. 4 career rusher. "This wasn't something I planned on doing. Football is something I did so I didn't end up jailed or dead.

"If you make up your mind to just do the right thing no matter what ... and you stick to it, which I did, this is how things can turn around. I feel as if my life turned around from what it used to be, and I think anyone has a chance."

Martin and four linemen were elected to the hall, along with one senior committee choice. He is joined by Chris Doleman, Cortez Kennedy, Willie Roaf, Dermontti Dawson, and senior selection Jack Butler.

Jerome Bettis, Cris Carter and Bill Parcells were among the finalists who didn't make it.

"I'm not even close to this position, I actually don't think I'd play more than four or five years without Bill Parcells," Martin said, indicating he will have his former coach present him for induction on Aug. 4 in Canton, Ohio.

A panel of 44 media members voted in the six men.

Martin made it for his consistency and durability, rushing for 14,101 and 90 touchdowns. He rushed for at least 1,000 yards in each of his first 10 seasons, the first three with New England and the others with the Jets. The 1995 Offensive Rookie of the Year, Martin won the NFL rushing title in 2004 with 1,697 yards.

Doleman and Kennedy were sackmasters from the defensive line, Doleman at end and Kennedy at tackle.

Doleman had 150½ sacks in his 15 seasons, mostly with Minnesota, and was one of the prototype agile yet powerful pass rushers who dominate the game today. He made the Pro Bowl eight times and was fourth on the sacks list when he retired.

"I am totally blown away by this and humbled by it," Doleman said, adding his son, Evan, would present him for induction. "When they call your name, you're absolutely numb."

Kennedy was a force inside, both as a run stopper and in threatening quarterbacks. The 1992 Defensive Player of the Year made eight Pro Bowls, had 58 sacks -- an unusually high total for a tackle -- and spent his entire 11-season career with Seattle.

Roaf spent one season at right tackle, then the rest of his 13 seasons on the left side, making 11 Pro Bowls. He made the All-Decade team for the 1990s.

Dawson made seven Pro Bowls as the Steelers' center, that rare snapper who also could block defensive players one on one. He replaced a Hall of Famer, Mike Webster, and started for Pittsburgh for most of his 13 pro seasons.

Curtis Martin ran for 14,101 yards and 90 touchdowns in his 11-year career with the Jets and Patriots.
Butler also played for the Steelers as a cornerback from 1951-59, picking off 52 passes, at the time second most in NFL history. But he was best known for his tackling skills.

"They told me I was good. I didn't know I was good," Butler said. "I never, ever, ever thought I would be here."

Guard Will Shields didn't get in -- the only first-year eligible player to make the 15-man finals. Shields started all but one of the 224 games in his 14 seasons in Kansas City.

Bettis also fell short. He was the 1993 Offensive Rookie of the Year with the Rams who retired in 2006 after winning his only Super Bowl with the Steelers. He is the NFL's No. 5 career rusher.

Parcells coached the Giants to Super Bowl titles in the 1987 and 1991 games and also lost the 1997 Super Bowl with New England. He coached the New York Jets and Dallas Cowboys, too.

Carter is the No. 4 career receiver with 1,101 in 16 seasons with three teams.

Others not voted in were receivers Tim Brown and Andre Reed, defensive end/linebackers Kevin Greene and Charles Haley, defensive back Aeneas Williams, and former 49ers owner Ed DeBartolo Jr.

The other senior finalist, guard Dick Stanfel, was not chosen, either.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7540856/curtis-martin-cortez-kennedy-chris-doleman-lead-2012-pro-football-hall-fame-class

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 06:58:05 PM »
good to see 2 pittsburgh guys in martin and butler get in, not to mention pitt player chris doleman

dawson should've been on the first ballot

bettis will get in soon even though i don't think it's deserved

E
E

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 09:34:35 AM »
Again...too many players get in every year.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 09:46:28 AM »
Kevin Greene
Curley Culp
Chris Carter

That should be the hall

wild willie

• Getbig V