Author Topic: "I wasnt eligable." lol  (Read 3158 times)

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
"I wasnt eligable." lol
« on: January 07, 2012, 09:20:04 PM »
What a loser.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: "I wasnt eligable." lol
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 07:44:19 AM »
Fact Check: Gingrich Didn't Dodge Draft
Tuesday, 10 Jan 2012

WASHINGTON (AP) — The ghosts of the Vietnam War are stirring again as GOP presidential candidates fight for position in the primary elections.

Vietnam veteran Ron Paul has called Newt Gingrich a "chicken hawk," asserting in Saturday's GOP candidates debate that Gingrich shirked military service and so shouldn't have the power to send others to war.

A review of government records finds no evidence that Gingrich dodged any legal responsibilities as a draft-aged young man in the 1960s. Paul was drafted, but Gingrich wasn't, apparently the result of changing draft regulations.

Here's the testy exchange the two had when the subject came up Saturday:

PAUL: "I think people who don't serve when they could and they get three or four or even five deferments ... they have no right to send our kids off to war." He added: "I'm trying to stop the wars, but at least, you know, I went when they called me up."

GINGRICH: "The fact is, I never asked for deferment. I was married with a child. It was never a question..."

PAUL: "...When I was drafted, I was married and had two kids, and I went."

THE FACTS: It's true that Paul was a husband and father when he served as an active-duty Air Force doctor from 1963-1965. He turned 18 in 1953, finished medical school in 1961 and was drafted in 1962 under a law that said fathers had to serve unless their induction would cause their dependents extreme hardship.

But the draft was changed the following year, giving all fathers a pass without having to prove hardship. Gingrich registered for the draft when he turned 18 in 1961 and was contacted by his draft board to fill out a general information questionnaire in mid-1963. Upon reviewing the questionnaire, the board gave him a deferment on the basis of having a child, Selective Service System officials said Tuesday after reviewing ledgers from the era.

"I wasn't eligible for the draft," Gingrich said in Saturday's exchange, repeating for emphasis: "I wasn't eligible for the draft."

Strictly speaking, it's true that fathers were not eligible to be drafted at that time — just as students got deferments and were not eligible to be compelled into the armed forces then. That doesn't mean Gingrich couldn't serve — he could have joined the military voluntarily. It only means the government couldn't conscript him.

In a 1985 interview with The Wall Street Journal, Gingrich said: "Given everything I believe in, a large part of me thinks I should have gone over." Then, he added: "Part of the question I had to ask myself was what difference I would have made."

As for Paul's feelings on who should be in a position to send troops to war, it's hardly a new sentiment. But the number of veterans who eventually found their way to Congress or the White House or as other national leaders also has shifted with changing American times.

The reality today is that less than 1 percent of Americans serve in the all-volunteer armed forces built after the draft was ended. That has meant a greatly diminished pool of veterans available to run for political office and far fewer serving in Congress than in the past. Upcoming budget cuts will shrink the force further.

Over the nation's history, about two-thirds of presidents have served in the military in some capacity.

http://www.newsmax.com/InsideCover/Vietnam-Draft-Fact-Check/2012/01/10/id/423710

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 07:48:29 AM »
"Strictly speaking, it's true that fathers were not eligible to be drafted at that time — just as students got deferments and were not eligible to be compelled into the armed forces then. That doesn't mean Gingrich couldn't serve — he could have joined the military voluntarily. It only means the government couldn't conscript him."

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 10:00:36 AM »
Thread backfire.

Eligable?

howardroark

• Getbig IV
  • Resident Objectivist & Autodidact
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 10:02:30 AM »
So Gingrich got a deferment for having a kid while Ron Paul didn't even though he had two kids?  ???

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 10:10:27 AM »
So Gingrich got a deferment for having a kid while Ron Paul didn't even though he had two kids?  ???

Does anyone on earth have control over history and when events are going to occur?

Again. The facts.

THE FACTS: It's true that Paul was a husband and father when he served as an active-duty Air Force doctor from 1963-1965. He turned 18 in 1953, finished medical school in 1961 and was drafted in 1962 under a law that said fathers had to serve unless their induction would cause their dependents extreme hardship.

But the draft was changed the following year, giving all fathers a pass without having to prove hardship. Gingrich registered for the draft when he turned 18 in 1961 and was contacted by his draft board to fill out a general information questionnaire in mid-1963. Upon reviewing the questionnaire, the board gave him a deferment on the basis of having a child, Selective Service System officials said Tuesday after reviewing ledgers from the era.

howardroark

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 10:22:22 AM »
And that changes the fact that Gingrich is a warmonger who has avoided military service how?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 10:29:19 AM »
And that changes the fact that Gingrich is a warmonger who has avoided military service how?

It makes Ron Paul's allegation that Newt asked for a deferment false. 

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 10:29:40 AM »

How did he avoid military service when the LAW, yes, THE LAW, permitted him not to serve?

I don't care about Gingrich. I wouldn't vote for him even if he won the Republican nomination. But, the idea that he somehow manipulated the system or paid someone off is nonsense. Facts are facts.

howardroark

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 10:43:31 AM »
It makes Ron Paul's allegation that Newt asked for a deferment false. 

Did Ron Paul allege that Newt asked for a deferment?

How did he avoid military service when the LAW, yes, THE LAW, permitted him not to serve?

I don't care about Gingrich. I wouldn't vote for him even if he won the Republican nomination. But, the idea that he somehow manipulated the system or paid someone off is nonsense. Facts are facts.

Was I claiming that he paid someone off? No.

Brush up on your reading comprehension skills.

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 10:47:02 AM »

Was I claiming that he paid someone off? No.

Brush up on your reading comprehension skills.

Did I state that the "someone" was you? You brush up on your reading comprehension skills and stop sucking Ron Paul's nuts.

Epic diversion from the main topic.

Ron Paul was wrong. Period.

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 10:57:40 AM »
As if Ron Paul would have served in the military if he had been given a deferment under the 1963 law. Please. You people are idiots if you believe that.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 12:36:11 PM »

Yes.

"You know, when Newt Gingrich was called to serve us in the 1960s during the Vietnam era, guess what he thought about danger? He chickened out on that and got deferments and didn't even go," Paul said. "Right now he sends the young kids over there and the young people come back and the ones in the military right now, they overwhelmingly support my campaign."

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/01/04/paul-gingrich-a-chickenhawk/

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 12:58:36 PM »

This right here is the whole point^

Same applies to many other politicians that jump to send kids to die for unjust causes but avoid Military service themselves.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 01:15:27 PM »

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2012, 01:19:38 PM »

Should probably say "I served."  "I went" makes it sound like he deployed to Vietnam. 

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012, 01:20:58 PM »
Definitely not a Getbigger...

Getbigger all the way...

Definitely a Getbigger...

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2012, 04:11:14 PM »
Gingrich called the Vietnam war the right war at ther right time...just not for him. The fact is if he wanted to he could have went. Plain and simple. He uses excuses for not going while other men in his same exact position went.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2012, 04:14:16 PM »
Fact Check: Gingrich Didn't Dodge Draft
Tuesday, 10 Jan 2012

WASHINGTON (AP) — The ghosts of the Vietnam War are stirring again as GOP presidential candidates fight for position in the primary elections.

Vietnam veteran Ron Paul has called Newt Gingrich a "chicken hawk," asserting in Saturday's GOP candidates debate that Gingrich shirked military service and so shouldn't have the power to send others to war.

A review of government records finds no evidence that Gingrich dodged any legal responsibilities as a draft-aged young man in the 1960s. Paul was drafted, but Gingrich wasn't, apparently the result of changing draft regulations.

Here's the testy exchange the two had when the subject came up Saturday:

PAUL: "I think people who don't serve when they could and they get three or four or even five deferments ... they have no right to send our kids off to war." He added: "I'm trying to stop the wars, but at least, you know, I went when they called me up."

GINGRICH: "The fact is, I never asked for deferment. I was married with a child. It was never a question..."

PAUL: "...When I was drafted, I was married and had two kids, and I went."

"I wasn't eligible for the draft," Gingrich said in Saturday's exchange, repeating for emphasis: "I wasn't eligible for the draft."

Strictly speaking, it's true that fathers were not eligible to be drafted at that time — just as students got deferments and were not eligible to be compelled into the armed forces then. That doesn't mean Gingrich couldn't serve — he could have joined the military voluntarily. It only means the government couldn't conscript him.

In a 1985 interview with The Wall Street Journal, Gingrich said: "Given everything I believe in, a large part of me thinks I should have gone over." Then, he added: "Part of the question I had to ask myself was what difference I would have made."

As for Paul's feelings on who should be in a position to send troops to war, it's hardly a new sentiment. But the number of veterans who eventually found their way to Congress or the White House or as other national leaders also has shifted with changing American times.

The reality today is that less than 1 percent of Americans serve in the all-volunteer armed forces built after the draft was ended. That has meant a greatly diminished pool of veterans available to run for political office and far fewer serving in Congress than in the past. Upcoming budget cuts will shrink the force further.

Over the nation's history, about two-thirds of presidents have served in the military in some capacity.

http://www.newsmax.com/InsideCover/Vietnam-Draft-Fact-Check/2012/01/10/id/423710

And its newsmax, the same guys that cosponsered the Trump debate and called Gingrich in early to prep him. lol Great source. They wouldnt be softening the nuke job Ron gave Newt now would they? lol

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2012, 04:17:37 PM »
As if Ron Paul would have served in the military if he had been given a deferment under the 1963 law. Please. You people are idiots if you believe that.

I see. Thanks man. What would do without your uncanny ability to predict what someone would have done 40 years ago?  ::)

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2012, 04:22:59 PM »
The point all of you idiots need to take away from this is Ron Paul is A LOT less likely to unnecessarily put our kids in harm's way and send troops off to die.  You cannot say the same thing about fat chickenhawk slobs like Newt, Santorum, McCain etc.  Ron Paul may or may not have served.  You would have to be an idiot to have willingly gone to fight in Vietnam especially looking back at how much of a cluster fuck it was.  But draft dodging is always the pussy way out.  Newt is a fat slobbingly pussy anyways.  What moron would ever vote for that loser?

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2012, 04:29:07 PM »
The point all of you idiots need to take away from this is Ron Paul is A LOT less likely to unnecessarily put our kids in harm's way and send troops off to die.

The problem is, many Americans actually view this as a bad thing.  They actually (unknowingly, or just don't care?) support the killing of innocent civilians, and our soldiers that signed up with the intention of defending us.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2012, 04:35:52 PM »
If we do to go to war with Iran, what percentage of Americans will support it?  I bet we would all be surprised. 

Hell, if we decided to invade Venezuela, I know a few people on this forum that would bend head over heels to justify it.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2012, 05:26:12 PM »
If we do to go to war with Iran, what percentage of Americans will support it?  I bet we would all be surprised. 

Hell, if we decided to invade Venezuela, I know a few people on this forum that would bend head over heels to justify it.

Silence!   >:(  God forbid!    :'(

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2012, 05:44:50 PM »
And its newsmax, the same guys that cosponsered the Trump debate and called Gingrich in early to prep him. lol Great source. They wouldnt be softening the nuke job Ron gave Newt now would they? lol

It's Newsmax, the same outfit that gave this interview to Ron Paul:  http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=408846.0

Ron Paul to Newsmax: 'We Can Still Win'
Saturday, 07 Jan 2012
By Doug Wead

On the eve of two critical debates and the vital New Hampshire Primary, Ron Paul takes time to chat with Newsmax. "If we have learned anything in this cycle it is that the whole race can change quickly," says the upbeat candidate, who refuses to back off his signature credo that it's time to "stop policing the world and start defending this country."

How do you feel going into the New Hampshire Primary?

I feel good. I feel optimistic about America and especially hopeful about the next generation. As you know we have a lot of young people in our campaign and they are well informed and aware of the financial danger in this country. That bodes well for all of us. If we know the problem and do the right thing, we can eventually get out of this. So I am very encouraged by that.

Yes, but are you going to win the nomination? What do you say to those who believe you can't win?

We can still win. It hasn't been decided. And if we have learned anything in this cycle it is that the whole race can change quickly. I think we are going to do very well. We had a three way tie for delegates in Iowa. The important thing is that I have challenged the status quo, the corruption in Washington, and as a doctor I know that the patient, in this case the country, is responding and now has a good chance of recovery. This is very, very pleasing to me.

The attacks on you have been pretty bitter. Does that rankle?

Well, sure I am human. But if I am attacked for something I believe it doesn't bother me. That's why I make sure my own advertising is based on truth, comparison advertising, pointing out the differences on positions and issues. We are very careful not to say something about someone else that isn't true.

There is one very serious charge going unanswered. Bachman said it daily and now Gingrich is saying it every day at every stop. He says, "Ron Paul would wait until an American city is destroyed by a nuclear weapon before he would respond."

Oh, that is totally false. And further it is an insult to people's intelligence. Of course, we would defend ourselves. We would never let it get to that point.

The fact is that to remain strong we must stop policing the world and start defending this country. The Soviet Union collapsed not because someone pointed a nuclear missile at them but because they over extended themselves.

Thomas Jefferson said that the more you use power the less you have.

I often say that we must stop policing the boarder of Afghanistan and Pakistan and start taking care of our own border with Mexico.

And yet your opponents, both on the campaign and in the media, portray this as an extreme view. They are especially concerned that you are not tough enough on Iran.

Well, I make it clear that I don't want Iran to have nuclear weapons. Frankly, I don't want North Korea to have them either. But neither do I want a needless war. We cannot afford to go to war without a clear reason and a clear threat or else these endless wars become, themselves, the source of our own defeat. I notice that the Israeli Chief of Mossad, Tamir Pardo, addressed a meeting of Israeli ambassadors in Jerusalem just a few days ago saying that Israel's existence is not inevitably endangered by Iran acquiring an atomic weapon. Surely, we should consider what the Israelis themselves say.

How do you feel about being such a target? You are called a pacifist or an isolationist.

Just keep in mind, when we take the stage at the next debate I will have more donors among the active military service than all of the other candidates combined. Among my supporters is Michael Scheuer, the man who headed up the CIA's Bin Laden Unit.

People who understand the cost of war, are much more careful about rushing into it. And while all of the candidates talk big about wanting to have another war, only two of us, Rick Perry and myself, have been in uniform. The others are quick to send young people to die but they all carefully avoided military service themselves.

And yet they say you are "dangerous."

There is nothing dangerous about the U.S. Constitution. There is nothing dangerous about taking the issue of war or peace to the Congress and letting them debate it. If Congress has lost that power to decide war, then what are they for? What is more important than that? It means we will have replaced Congress with televisions pundits.

We should not so casually abandon the U.S. Constitution. It is a great document that has guided our country for two hundred years.

http://www.newsmax.com/InsideCover/Ron-Paul-Newsmax-We/2012/01/07/id/423340