Author Topic: Cheatcurls  (Read 21910 times)

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Cheatcurls
« on: January 10, 2012, 06:10:23 PM »
Exactly how much "cheating" do you do? I'm not bent over backwards like that famous Arnold pic, but I use a fair amount of momentum.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

John O

• Getbig III
Re: Cheatcurls
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 12:07:17 PM »
I try to be pretty strict. But theres times at the end of a set I'll hit few extra reps with a little help from Mo. Just enough to get an extra rep or 2. But not to the point I look like I'm trying to go under a limbo bar LOL
Masters- 50-54
148#

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 01:41:18 PM »
Well I do strict curls and I've added cheat curls for strongman stuff, just wondering how much body english to use.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 10:35:15 AM »
video is worth a thousand words, this is pretty much textbook cheat curling, enough momentum to keep the bar moving but still giving the arms some overload.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 06:13:49 PM »
Looks about what I'm doing, except when I come down I try to pop right back up instead it looks like he takes a second bounce. But momentum/back sway looks about the same.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 06:37:45 AM »
when kazmaier curled 315 piunds 9 or 10 reps was he cheating . .. yes but what a feat ..

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 01:47:04 PM »
 ;D
F

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 03:39:43 AM »
I like cheating the last few reps. Cheat to get it to the top position, then a slow decent (negative).
Cheating has its place. (Overload training)..

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 08:13:03 AM »
fox use the ez bar easier on the wrists but work barchialis more . i have heard .

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 08:41:38 AM »
i think it has itīs place.. the last couple of reps are ok but do not get into loose training.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 09:58:48 AM »
i think it has itīs place.. the last couple of reps are ok but do not get into loose training.
X2!

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 11:04:59 AM »
fox use the ez bat easier on the wrist work thwe brachialis more .
mike mentzer was always against the ez curl bar for biceps for him it was always the staight bar or nothing.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 11:06:34 AM »
viator was also a straight bar man.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 11:16:20 AM »
i like both ez and straight bar, for reverse curls for forearms i use an ez bar(preacher bench for real pain ;)) i do however agree that a straight bar hits the biceps better. It really is a double edged sword because with the ez bar in normal bicep curls i can lift more...due to other muscle involvement.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 11:27:19 AM »
another point is grip width.. now a lot of people do not believe in isolation of a muscle but i think even a basic ex like barbell curls can be manipulated. sure a muscle is trained as a whole but a small movement, body position and grip can change it. it shifts more stress to an area of a muscle group...take close grip bicep curls...the outer head.. wide...the inner area...

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2013, 08:10:04 PM »
another point is grip width.. now a lot of people do not believe in isolation of a muscle but i think even a basic ex like barbell curls can be manipulated. sure a muscle is trained as a whole but a small movement, body position and grip can change it. it shifts more stress to an area of a muscle group...take close grip bicep curls...the outer head.. wide...the inner area...

Of course! I never understood people who claim that variety is useless since any exercise that works a muscle works the whole muscle.

Take a look at an anatomy chart that shows skeletal muscle and you'll see that, especially with bigger muscles like chest and back, many of those striations travel in different directions. It stands to reason, then, that movements through different planes will emphasize certain parts of a muscle over others.

The "all-or-nothing" principle is too simplistic to use here.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 01:37:10 PM »

Of course! I never understood people who claim that variety is useless since any exercise that works a muscle works the whole muscle.

Take a look at an anatomy chart that shows skeletal muscle and you'll see that, especially with bigger muscles like chest and back, many of those striations travel in different directions. It stands to reason, then, that movements through different planes will emphasize certain parts of a muscle over others.

The "all-or-nothing" principle is too simplistic to use here.
that was one of vince gironda 's axioms to train all aspects of the muscle.the great jcg advertised the ez curl bar back in the day. i heard at one time his biceps tendons were so beat all he could do was lat machine curls laying across a bench.
F

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2013, 01:49:37 PM »
^^ I love that ad.

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2013, 06:43:59 AM »
we had in montreal a guy with monster arms jack chevrier who was against ez bar curl . of course . straight bar work biceps more directly . but brachialis work is important .