Author Topic: Crossfit....not just a fitness fad  (Read 14513 times)

animal1991

• Getbig III
Crossfit - what is your opinion of it?
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2012, 08:34:02 AM »
I know most people on a BB forum would say it is gay, but what is your opinion on it? I mean it still involves lifting weights and so on but also includes running etc for fitness. I think its a great challenge if you are into lifting but want to try something new.

And I guess you could change up the exercises as you wish, like example replace the C+J with the squat. I'm still currently researching it so I can't really ellaborate. Opinions?

Anglo

• Getbig IV
Re: Crossfit...
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2012, 08:49:24 AM »
filt

purenaturalstrength

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2012, 08:56:40 AM »
I think they fail at putting their own ideas into practice

There is no structure in their programs it's at random and 99% of their members that have been recorded on youtube show very bad form on any weight exercise and even worse strength

they hire some badasses now zand then to do these routines on tape and it's impressive but those people are able to do that by proper training and roids generally for years, and pretend cross fit is what made them able to do this

in a nutshell i think it's a scam and dangerous since poor exercise form and structure. some have pointed out their mad programing may actually cause rhabdomyolysis. This means that there is a breakdown of muscle fibers that can be released into the blood stream. This type of activity in the body can cause kidney failure.

j3di3

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2012, 08:57:19 AM »
i dont belong to the crossfit community, but i do enjoy doing crossfit WoDs and complexes once or twice a week. i think its really fun.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2012, 09:00:02 AM »
I don't personally like crossfit the way that it is currently taught and sold because it is reckless in the way they teach people how to do olympic style lifts...they don't.  As an experienced lifter, I thought I knew a lot, and then started working out with a guy who did olympic lifting for years.  Although he commended me on my overall form for deads, clean and snatch, clean and press, squats, etc... he pointed out many things I was doing wrong that could've possibly led to injury.  I corrected these things, and now I feel confident in the explosive lifts.  But I've been lifting since i was 12.  I knew how to lift, and probably wouldn't have wrecked my back because I was used to the movements involved.  If you take people who aren't experienced lifters, and start having them to high intensity routines involving complex movements, in which the goal is conditioning over form right from the start, you're going to fuck up people's bodies. The "kipping" pullups or whatever... those make my shoulders hurt just looking at them.  

If you want to get a great workout without all the bullshit of a crossfit gym, do this:

clean and press x15

rest 10 seconds

pushups for 30 seconds

rest 10 seconds

squats for 30 seconds

rest 10 seconds

ab wheel for 30 seconds

rest 10 seconds

repeat a few times

that can all be done in a tiny power rock or corner of the gym, and will melt fat.

As I said, there are some aspects of crossfit that are cool, like conditioning, but its a very dangerous game they play with people's bodies.

j3di3

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2012, 09:02:34 AM »
I don't personally like crossfit the way that it is currently taught and sold because it is reckless in the way they teach people how to do olympic style lifts...they don't.  As an experienced lifter, I thought I knew a lot, and then started working out with a guy who did olympic lifting for years.  Although he commended me on my overall form for deads, clean and snatch, clean and press, squats, etc... he pointed out many things I was doing wrong that could've possibly led to injury.  I corrected these things, and now I feel confident in the explosive lifts.  But I've been lifting since i was 12.  I knew how to lift, and probably wouldn't have wrecked my back because I was used to the movements involved.  If you take people who aren't experienced lifters, and start having them to high intensity routines involving complex movements, in which the goal is conditioning over form right from the start, you're going to fuck up people's bodies. The "kipping" pullups or whatever... those make my shoulders hurt just looking at them.  

If you want to get a great workout without all the bullshit of a crossfit gym, do this:

clean and press x15

rest 10 seconds

pushups for 30 seconds

rest 10 seconds

squats for 30 seconds

rest 10 seconds

ab wheel for 30 seconds

rest 10 seconds

repeat a few times

that can all be done in a tiny power rock or corner of the gym, and will melt fat.

As I said, there are some aspects of crossfit that are cool, like conditioning, but its a very dangerous game they play with people's bodies.

sounds fun, ill do this next week

bradistani

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2012, 09:05:33 AM »
the women are hot

it promotes fitnerss

infact great fitness levels

seems a bit cultish

the women are hot

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2012, 09:11:18 AM »
Gay filt

Inchdisciple

• Getbig II
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2012, 09:14:10 AM »
The local park where I walk my dog, has more and more young female Crossfitters working out there.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2012, 09:15:49 AM »
I know most people on a BB forum would say it is gay, but what is your opinion on it?
I mean it still involves lifting weights and so on but also includes running etc for fitness.
I think its a great challenge if you are into lifting but want to try something new.
And I guess you could change up the exercises as you wish, like example replace the C+J with the squat.
I'm still currently researching it so I can't really ellaborate.
Opinions?

You've never read or seen my posts on this monstrosity of a cult? It's for people who have no concept of training.

purenaturalstrength

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2012, 09:18:29 AM »
the women are hot

it promotes fitnerss

infact great fitness levels

seems a bit cultish

the women are hot

what they want you to think cross fit is about

what it is actually about

animal1991

• Getbig III
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2012, 09:18:55 AM »
What about something similar?
Like doing your traditional BB/strength workouts and incorporating sprints/jogging or other GPP.

animal1991

• Getbig III
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2012, 09:20:10 AM »
You've never read or seen my posts on this monstrosity of a cult? It's for people who have no concept of training.
No I haven't?
Do you have a link!

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2012, 09:23:06 AM »
What about something similar?
Like doing your traditional BB/strength workouts and incorporating sprints/jogging or other GPP.

The problem with the program is that there is no program, I'm not being sarcastic when I say that. If you take an O-lift that shouldn't really be done for anymore than 3-5 reps and do it for 15, you start running into serious problems. Crossfit as a whole has the highest rate of injuries out any fitness program around not to mention the highest ER admissions do to rhabdo. Thats not good.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2012, 09:29:00 AM »
The problem with the program is that there is no program, I'm not being sarcastic when I say that. If you take an O-lift that shouldn't really be done for anymore than 3-5 reps and do it for 15, you start running into serious problems. Crossfit as a whole has the highest rate of injuries out any fitness program around not to mention the highest ER admissions do to rhabdo. Thats not good.

Maybe you can elaborate here coach, because back in my track days, we would do clean and press and deads into the 15 rep range all the time.  granted, these weren't "heavy," but the goal was conditioning over  lift.  We had a CSCS design and oversee our program...if that's worth mentioning.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2012, 09:51:13 AM »

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2012, 09:55:18 AM »
Maybe you can elaborate here coach, because back in my track days, we would do clean and press and deads into the 15 rep range all the time.  granted, these weren't "heavy," but the goal was conditioning over  lift.  We had a CSCS design and oversee our program...if that's worth mentioning.

O-lifts take along time to perfect. They should be done first in the workout because of the stress it puts on the CNS. The reps, really no matter what the weight and because it is a full body power exercise that loads the CNS almost immediately shouldn't be anymore than 3-5 reps. Anymore usually causes a breakdown in form which could lead to injuries. I'm not pandering here, but coincidentally I wrote this just a couple of days ago....

http://www.mpftrainingsystems.com/mpfblog.html

bradistani

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2012, 10:02:15 AM »
what they want you to think cross fit is about

what it is actually about

she's an oly lifter

purenaturalstrength

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2012, 10:10:28 AM »
she's an oly lifter
maria de la puente of course i know this

Leatherneck

• Getbig IV
  • Still as lean, just as mean, former US Marine
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2012, 10:11:00 AM »
If someone's goal is to bodybuild then CrossFit is a bad choice. However, if you're in a military environment or looking for something different to try it has some definite benefits. When I was in the Marine Corps we utilized portions of it to help folks in a group activity. The competitive nature of it along with different workouts to keep things from getting stale were specific pluses.

The cult aspect of it are no worse than most anything that the public takes too far. At least with this we get hot women and fit adults... it's not like anyone's trying to get people to drink the jim jones kool-aid at these gyms. It's not as bad as some folks on the boards make it out to be.

beverast

• Getbig III
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2012, 11:42:34 AM »

Any questions?

viking1

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2012, 11:53:57 AM »

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2012, 12:12:08 PM »

viking1

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2012, 12:13:57 PM »
Good Lord :(

Just adds more job security for those of us putting  their injuries back together.   ;)

maxkane69

• Getbig IV
  • PALUMBOISM DESTROYED BODYBUILDING!
« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2012, 12:15:36 PM »

Great comment Coach!
I agree 100% with you.
In the following years we'll see a lot Crossfit entusiast with back,shoulder and other related joint problem caused from the reckless training program used in Crossfit.
One mayor problem is also that 90% or maybe more of the Crossfit trainers do not know also the correct execution of the Olimpic and basic weight lifting movement.
I would not be surprised if we'll start seeing injured Crossfit entusiast sueing their trainer and Crossfit Gym for the injury and permanent damage done to their body caused by this Crossfit programs.