Author Topic: What's the rule on Tipping Bartenders?  (Read 3718 times)

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
Re: What's the rule on Tipping Bartenders?
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2012, 02:26:52 PM »
really expensive. And yes norway is expensive as shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit . But they get Paid also. pepsimax is 100% more expensive in norway then in sweden lol.

How much is Pepsi Max over there? I can pick up a case for like $5. A two liter for $1.25
D

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2012, 02:27:10 PM »
I don't know the actual percentages per se but the rule of thumb is to always tip well

nothing is worse than a person who doesn't tip/is a shitty tipper

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2012, 02:28:59 PM »
I don't know the actual percentages per se but the rule of thumb is to always tip well

nothing is worse than a person who doesn't tip/is a shitty tipper
Not over here, they get a decent salary. Plus they have to put the tip in a pot to share each month, so the jerks get a part of it as well....

Swede!

• Getbig IV
  • www.letskillsometime.com Direct link in signature
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2012, 02:30:20 PM »
How much is Pepsi Max over there? I can pick up a case for like $5. A two liter for $1.25

I only buy 1.5L but I buy in Bulk so really cheap. But I was comparing normal price in store.

One 1.5L is around 2$ including whatever its called when you recycle and get a little bit back.
In norway One 1.5L is 3.8$ +

and this is in a Big store where its "cheap"

a pepsimax in the gasstation would be like 7.5$ if not more..

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2012, 02:30:57 PM »
I was using it as a example for not tipping waitors etc... They get a salary to do a job doing something for "us".. But as I mentioned the salary works different in america I guess.

And Im glad we don't have to think about "what should I tip" all the time thats for sure.

I guess the point behind it here, is that people are rewarded based on their level of service.  

Seems like waitresses really go out of their way in a lot of places, and I'm usually a really good tipper I think.

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2012, 02:31:28 PM »
I only buy 1.5L but I buy in Bulk so really cheap. But I was comparing normal price in store.

One 1.5L is around 2$ including whatever its called when you recycle and get a little bit back.
In norway One 1.5L is 3.8$ +

and this is in a Big store where its "cheap"

a pepsimax in the gasstation would be like 7.5$ if not more..

God Damn..... :o
D

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2012, 02:32:25 PM »
Not over here, they get a decent salary. Plus they have to put the tip in a pot to share each month, so the jerks get a part of it as well....

still, in my eyes I find nothing more deplorable than a shitty tipper

if I found out that St Francis of Assisi was a shitty tipper than I would start killing animals randomly

that was a catholic joke that two people got btw

Swede!

• Getbig IV
  • www.letskillsometime.com Direct link in signature
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2012, 02:33:06 PM »
gas stations in norway is a fucking killer  ;D

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2012, 02:33:40 PM »
thats probably the answer any semi smartassed rebelious youth would give. But having a job is better than no job , id say "go4it" son see how long that "career" lasts

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2012, 02:35:54 PM »

if I found out that St Francis of Assisi was a shitty tipper than I would start killing animals randomly

Sorry. That's not even close to a good joke.

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2012, 02:37:52 PM »
Sorry. That's not even close to a good joke.

yeah

what would have he had tipped with anyway?....cow feed? cat food?

it wasn't very good and worst of all is I'm gonna be secluded to the part of hell that holds the first actor who played Superman on TV and JFK jr. just because of that joke

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2012, 02:40:55 PM »
I write diet and training tips on a napkin along with a link to my fitness industry blog.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2012, 01:42:07 PM »
Cheap.  I start with 20%  min on the first round it mostly depends on the bill - if it's 12, I'll just give 15.....  If they're cool and attentive, it stays that way or a little more.  If I get free stuff, it goes up.
;D

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2012, 08:35:35 PM »
To be honest: I never tip them, but I may offer them a drink. If they don't want it, that's it..

This wouldn't work in Portland, OR. Bartenders are not allowed to drink (alcohol) while on shift....OLCC (Oregon Liquor Control Commission) rules.

Incidentally, I always tip a buck per drink. I drink well scotch which runs between $3.50 and $5.00 per drink at most establishments, depending on whether it is happy hour or not. Essentially, I never tip less then 20%. This is the same as I tip for food. Unless I am running a tab, my tips are on a per drink basis. If I run a tab, it is between 20 and 25% of the tab total.

I have found that the better you tip, the better your drinks. Tip cheap and you get a skimpy drink. Tip well, and a shot is magically a double or better. If I am really getting crazy and want to finish off the evening with a couple of shots of Ouzo, the good tips really pay off. Note: of course I take a cab if I drink this much.

FAST LANE

• Getbig III
  • Life's too short to be small
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2012, 04:50:50 PM »
Not really rocket science brotha.. if your paying cash, the "general rule" is a dollar a drink,,, if you have a large tab and they were good give them a good tip, at least 20%.  If they hook you up on drinks, the tip goes up.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2012, 09:12:31 PM »
I tip a dollar per drink...if I ask for a beer I tip a dollar for that as well.....

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2012, 09:14:34 PM »
A buck a bottle, or a buck a glass.

Pretty standard.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2012, 09:15:30 PM »
Tipping is for idiots. First off, just because your employer is paying you a shitty wage doesn't mean I have to give you more of my money.

2nd, I don't get tipped for my job and it requires much more skill and physical labor. Maybe if the waiter cooked the food and served it but that's not the case. As for the places that 'share' tips, that's even worse because than my money could be going towards some asshole I don't even know.

Maybe so, but the bartender wage is like 2.13 cents an hour.

Sometimes not even that... It's just common to not pay bartenders anything and they are effectively working FOR the tip.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2012, 09:20:54 PM »
Tipping is for idiots. First off, just because your employer is paying you a shitty wage doesn't mean I have to give you more of my money.

2nd, I don't get tipped for my job and it requires much more skill and physical labor. Maybe if the waiter cooked the food and served it but that's not the case. As for the places that 'share' tips, that's even worse because than my money could be going towards some asshole I don't even know.

Most places share tips now because of U.S. tax laws which assume a certain level of tip money in certain professions where customers commonly tip for service. So yes for those of us who do tip, that tip is divided among all the employees.

Tipping varies from country to country. In Germany where my son lives, the normal tip is much less than it is in the U.S. However, service industry wages and benefits in Germany are much better than they are in the U.S. were it is common to pay restaurant employees minimum wage.

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2012, 09:38:29 PM »
There's no tipping in China, either.

One time I tried to tip somebody for cutting my hair. They literally did not understand the concept, thought I was crazy.

They looked at me like I had a dick growing out of my forehead.
G

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2012, 11:00:38 PM »
There's no tipping in China, either.

One time I tried to tip somebody for cutting my hair. They literally did not understand the concept, thought I was crazy.

They looked at me like I had a dick growing out of my forehead.

maybe you do

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2012, 11:08:06 PM »

St Francis was a good man.... I will not have you sully his name is any way  >:(

Now, St Olaf.... Dont get me started on that cunt!
P