Author Topic: Hate to say it but boxing is almost dead - this says it all  (Read 7494 times)

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
Re: Hate to say it but boxing is almost dead - this says it all
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2012, 04:18:29 PM »
Current HW champ Wlad Klitschko walking down the street and no ones even looking at him never mind surrounding him,pointing, asking for autographs,etc.
In Tysons day he could nt walk down any street anywhere and not be mobbed.

its New York for christs sake, Elvis could be walking down the street hand in hand with John Wayne, Babe Ruth and Adolf Hitler and no one would notice, people are too busy making sure they dont get their I Phone robbed by some spook walking down the street.

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2012, 04:26:43 PM »
I think the greedy promoters have ruined boxing by not allowing great fights to occur (mayweather and pacman).  It's akin to something like the New England Patriots and Pittsburgh Steelers, while both are football teams, would not play against one another because they are in different leagues.

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2012, 04:42:03 PM »
had the same conversation earlier tonight, all of the personalities are gone, Tyson, Bruno, Eubank. No one is interesting.
im not talking about being him im talking about the sport, few years back everyone knew who the HW champ was, now no one knows and no one cares.  :-[

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2012, 04:43:51 PM »
nobody gives a fuck who you are in NY thats why stars move there, theres too many people too notice.

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2012, 06:15:43 PM »
its New York for christs sake, Elvis could be walking down the street hand in hand with John Wayne, Babe Ruth and Adolf Hitler and no one would notice, people are too busy making sure they dont get their I Phone robbed by some spook walking down the street.

::)

i see you are trying to take nails' space while he is away.  BIG ASS FAIL!

A Professional

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2012, 07:43:07 PM »
Klitschko might be a boring fighter, but he's still great in absolute terms. Who does he need to fight to prove it? He beat the hell out of Lennox Lewis.

Only thing it proves is that American fans don't care about boxing when the champ is not American.

Qft

danabol

• Getbig III
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2012, 08:27:43 PM »
Current HW champ Wlad Klitschko walking down the street and no ones even looking at him never mind surrounding him,pointing, asking for autographs,etc.

come on now get real who the fck would wonna mobe him ?..

he's a bag of shit ...

NUFF SIAD

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2012, 08:30:27 PM »

60,000 asses plastered themselves in germany to watch klits

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2012, 08:32:23 PM »
heres the difference between mma and boxing.. i know many women who know who faber, silva, brock, diego, gsp ect are.. they may not know much about them but have seen them.. go to any buffalo wild wings on a ppv mma fight and it is packed.. girlfriends, wives ect watching with their hubbies and boyfriends.. you will not see that with boxing.. is boxing dead? no.. but it is on the ropes..
what a dumbass post, hate to break it to you but mma has peaked just consider the ufc ppv buys and brock's retirement

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2012, 08:36:13 PM »
Heres what MMA is doing in Japan or not

http://ajw.asahi.com/article/sports/topics/AJ201112300038

BiGHer

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2012, 09:04:06 PM »
Boxing is only "dying" in the US because their are no great US heavyweights right now.  Talented Heavyweights are the class everyone wants to see fight.  As exciting as Pacquiao and Flyod are and as much money and attention they draw, they still are stigmatized by being small guys.

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2012, 09:07:21 PM »
the whole point of boxing is to do damage and take as little as possible isn't it?

boxing isn't dead.

210 and growing

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2012, 09:08:55 PM »
Havent been on here for a while been lurking etc GH15 rn harris is a girl layme norton etc but just got home after a great night drunk tonight and i know exactly wot ure sayin but just watched this and it reminded me why i fell in love with boxing in the first place when i was 10. Stick ure mma up ure ass

Tony Doherty

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • Pro Promoter
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2012, 09:23:00 PM »
I have been a boxing fan all my life, watching Ali as a kid and Tyson as a young man. They were superstars and were mobbed everywhere they went anywhere in the world. We haven't had a heavyweight like that in a long time.

Interestingly, when we had Forrest Griffin here last year for FitX, he was stopped and recognised everywhere we went, even at the Melbourne zoo which was mostly families. Surprised me a bit really, how popular he was.

A Professional

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2012, 09:36:52 PM »
^they just thought he was an escaped monkey.

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2012, 09:37:42 PM »

Interestingly, when we had Forrest Griffin here last year for FitX, he was stopped and recognised everywhere we went, even at the Melbourne zoo which was mostly families. Surprised me a bit really, how popular he was.

Yeah and Snooki is more popular than the Williams sisters , all part of generation nothingness.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2012, 09:39:19 PM »
boxings a world sport like soccer , there for if americans dont care about it, its a dieing sport  ::)

Best post of the thread.

The_Hammer

• Getbig V
  • President Barack Obama -- 2 Term U.S. President
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2012, 09:39:54 PM »
Title of this thread should be

"Nobody Gives A Shit About The Klitschko's"

Manny Pacquiao gets mobbed in L.A.

210 and growing

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2012, 09:42:38 PM »
Yeah and Snooki is more popular than the Williams sisters , all part of generation nothingness.

Yes totally correct.

Theres due an american saviour - ali 60's, tyson late 80's/early 90's, the next bus will be along very soon. and it will reignite the american public, everything goes in cycles within 5 or 10 years either way.

Basicaly whoever this guy is will realise that if hes gonna be good enough he will make alot more money and become alot more famous than a baskeball or american football player

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2012, 09:56:27 PM »
Yes totally correct.

Theres due an american saviour - ali 60's, tyson late 80's/early 90's, the next bus will be along very soon. and it will reignite the american public, everything goes in cycles within 5 or 10 years either way.

Basicaly whoever this guy is will realise that if hes gonna be good enough he will make alot more money and become alot more famous than a baskeball or american football player

That's not going to happen and this is why http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Old-School-Boxing-School-Closing-98192584.html

210 and growing

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2012, 10:01:51 PM »
That's not going to happen and this is why http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Old-School-Boxing-School-Closing-98192584.html

Dont worry - it will happen! can u imagine these big american kids who are hard cases now coming up watching rocky(yes timeless) that 1 of these will make it. i live in the north west uk and we have shit loads of boxing gyms mma gyms etc, ure not telling me that if somebody has got it from a young age isnt gonna find a gym in chicago, detroit, etc.

It will be a bit like love, he wont find it, it will find him

affeman

• Getbig V
  • Rusty Trombone looks like an abortion in a thong
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2012, 11:22:14 PM »

He couldn't do that in most european countries, trust me. Problem is, the US always thinks the world evolves around them, when in fact noone is giving a shit about you but yourself. ;D

Like mentioned before, a lotta soccer superstars known by billions of people around the world and worth hundreds of millions $ could walk down the streets in the US completely unrecognized.

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2012, 02:10:34 AM »
Er im not American, i also dont think the HW champ needs to be American but i think he needs a personality. I think Britains due to produce a HW destroyer ala Tyson,Liston, Foreman.

210 and growing

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2012, 03:17:25 AM »
The heavyweight champion of the world - the baddest man on the planet - it will always be exactly that - and will always return to boxing.

Outside a handful of redneck assholes who are obsessed with constantly walking around in tapout tshirts showing how hard they are, nobody gives a rats arse about mma, and never will.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2012, 03:22:24 AM »
The heavyweight champion of the world - the baddest man on the planet - it will always be exactly that - and will always return to boxing.

Outside a handful of redneck assholes who are obsessed with constantly walking around in tapout tshirts showing how hard they are, nobody gives a rats arse about mma, and never will.
Good post!!