Author Topic: Mitt Romney-Led Bain Funded Steel Dynamics' Success  (Read 1392 times)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
Mitt Romney-Led Bain Funded Steel Dynamics' Success
« on: January 17, 2012, 11:02:41 AM »
Not saying I'm voting for him (yet) but he's right up there.

By KEN HOOVER, INVESTOR'S BUSINESS DAILY Posted 01/13/2012 06:36 PM ET
Featured Stocks

GE
        General Electric Co

SPLS
        Staples Inc

STLD
        Steel Dynamics Inc

* Top-Rated Company

Since emerging as the Republican front-runner, Mitt Romney has been pilloried as a corporate raider and greedy destroyer of working-class jobs because he once headed private equity firm Bain Capital.

A new video by a political action committee with ties to rival presidential candidate Newt Gingrich portrays Romney as someone who plundered companies for their assets, left them in debt and ruined countless lives of ordinary Americans.

That's not the view at Fort Wayne, Ind.-based Steel Dynamics (STLD), where Bain invested just as the company was getting off the ground in 1994. Today, Steel Dynamics is the fifth-largest U.S. steel maker, employing 6,437 workers, according to Chairman and just-retired CEO Keith Busse.
Mitt Romney, pictured in Palm Beach, Fla., on Thursday, helped form Bain Capital in 1984.

Mitt Romney, pictured in Palm Beach, Fla., on Thursday, helped form Bain Capital in 1984. View Enlarged Image

That number includes about 4,000 new jobs, with the rest coming via acquisitions.

But it goes further than that, Busse says. For every steel worker directly employed, there are three or four jobs created by a network of suppliers. He estimates the total employment base as the result of Steel Dynamics' success at around 25,000.

"They were great to work with," Busse recalled of Bain. "They were good providers of financial knowledge. They put people into deals who were very savvy. They could tell you what to do and what not to do."

To this day, Bain managing director Paul Edgerley remains on Steel Dynamics' board, although Bain has long since sold its interest.

"We value Paul's advice," Busse said. "We've often asked ourselves what would we do if he left the board."

Steel Dynamics was founded by Busse and two other industry veterans in 1993 with plans for a plant in Butler, Ind. They were looking for venture capital to help them.

"It normally takes two years to make a steel plant profitable," Busse recalled. "We didn't have two years. We were running out of money."

GE Capital (GE) was interested, but CEO Jack Welch told Busse he didn't want to fund the whole thing because it would be the biggest gamble GE had ever taken on a startup.

Welch brought in Bain, which investigated the project. Busse said he met with Romney. Bain liked the deal and invested $18.3 million.

"Their general strategy is to exit early," Busse said. Bain later sold its stake for $104 million, according to a 2000 prospectus from Deutsche Bank.

The private equity firm should have held on longer. Steel Dynamics went public in November 1996, finishing its first month of trading with a split-adjusted price of 4.56 a share. The stock reached a peak of 40.92 in June 2008 for a gain of 797%.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Mitt Romney-Led Bain Funded Steel Dynamics' Success
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 11:06:18 AM »
Mitt supports captrade on a global basis. 
Mitt has taken every side of every issue.

With mitt, you will have about 80% of the same positions as Obama.  Period.

Is he going to be better than Obama?  Sure, by a little.

But for the most part, Obama is a hawk dem, and Romney is a RINO repub.  They're close.   Mitt will keep the wars the same, just as Obama did.  He'll continue with the bailouts to banks and EUR as needed.  You get more of the same with Mitt - so yes, he's a safe bet. 

Is he going to radically slash spending?  goodness no.  But he'll be an improvement, he is a safe bet to 'settle' for.

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 11:08:08 AM »
America still makes a lot of stuff.

Problem is it takes less and less people to make more and more stuff as time goes on.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 11:09:37 AM »
Mitt supports captrade on a global basis. 
Mitt has taken every side of every issue.

With mitt, you will have about 80% of the same positions as Obama.  Period.

Is he going to be better than Obama?  Sure, by a little.

But for the most part, Obama is a hawk dem, and Romney is a RINO repub.  They're close.   Mitt will keep the wars the same, just as Obama did.  He'll continue with the bailouts to banks and EUR as needed.  You get more of the same with Mitt - so yes, he's a safe bet. 

Is he going to radically slash spending?  goodness no.  But he'll be an improvement, he is a safe bet to 'settle' for.

and that 20% is why he will win.   other than stary eyed lovers of ghettobama likeyourself the nation is sick of this thug lotting grifter.   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 11:15:44 AM »

and that 20% is why he will win.   other than stary eyed lovers of ghettobama likeyourself the nation is sick of this thug lotting grifter.   

I'ma ron paul supporter, thanks.

IMO, any republican who chooses Romney over a better conseravtive should STFU about obamacare and cap/trade.  Period.  They're picking a guy who backed them, over other candidates who do not.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 11:47:04 AM »
If Romney wins, he's gonna have to open up his books. That's gonna be a whole bunch of interesting.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 11:48:00 AM »
If Romney wins, he's gonna have to open up his books. That's gonna be a whole bunch of interesting.

Who cares?

I would support Maddoff over obama since at least Maddoff understands basic math and finances.   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 11:50:46 AM »

will he HAVE to?  Or just report the NUMBER of income?  I thought the others released tax records oluntarily.  Not mitt says he MIGHT release it in april, but won't commit.

Mitt may lose a LOT of support if america sees he took wealthy people loopholes to pay 2% income taxes, ya know?

MikMaq

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 11:51:48 AM »
Sorrry guys your all high on lsd. One man has no control on anything.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 11:53:01 AM »
I'ma ron paul supporter, thanks.

IMO, any republican who chooses Romney over a better conseravtive should STFU about obamacare and cap/trade.  Period.  They're picking a guy who backed them, over other candidates who do not.

Most liberals do support Paul. What does that tell you? No, Paul isn't a better conservative. Paul still thinks you can be diplomatic with terrorists. Paul is for legalizing drugs. Dude's not wrong all things but he's a bit nuts if you ask me.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 11:56:30 AM »

Why? Obama didn't have to open up shit when he was elected...or even before. The dude destroyed his own district in Illinois, what the hell made anyone think he could run a fucking superpower country? Thats like me going in and thinking I can take over the NFL or MLB. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 11:57:39 AM »
Romney now admits he is probably in the 15% tax range.

He's worth 270 million bucks, and paying less % taxes than his gardener.    SEe how that won't sit well with voters?

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 11:59:31 AM »
Who cares?

I would support Maddoff over obama
since at least Maddoff understands basic math and finances.    

Whether he means to or not, 33386 is legitimately one of the funniest guys on getbig with gems like this. :)

This man would REALLY pull the lever on that choice.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 12:00:16 PM »
Most liberals do support Paul. What does that tell you? No, Paul isn't a better conservative. Paul still thinks you can be diplomatic with terrorists. Paul is for legalizing drugs. Dude's not wrong all things but he's a bit nuts if you ask me.

LOLZERCOPTER

Coach,

you knew last year that mitt was a liberal flipflopping piece of shit.  now that you have to settle for him, you're saying things like:

Not saying I'm voting for him (yet) but he's right up there.

It's cool to say you don't like ron paul's foreign policy - but to say he's not a conserative?  LMAO - because he's not a tool of the war machine who wants to bomb iran to keep up spending?  The economy will collapse in the next 10 or 15 years under romney, obama, paul ryan, jeb, christie, whoever.  Neither party will stop it.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 12:01:56 PM »
Whether he means to or not, 33386 is legitimately one of the funniest guys on getbig with gems like this. :)

This man would REALLY pull the lever on that choice.

You can include Son of Sam and Joran Vandersloot in this list of my presidential choices over obama.   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 12:02:36 PM »
You can include Son of Sam and Joran Vandersloot in this list of my presidential choices over obama.   

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2012, 12:07:53 PM »
240 you are always babbling about conservatism.....how in the f'n hell did you vote for Obama and openly support him on the board?  That is so absolutely insane that it's comical.  If someone like Sambo Blanco wants to support Obama, fine, everyone is entitled to their view of policies, etc...  BUT to talk about being a conservative and then supporting Obama is beyond idiotic.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2012, 12:08:52 PM »
Who cares?

I would support Maddoff over obama since at least Maddoff understands basic math and finances.   
Voters who would like to be fully informed about their political choices, you idiot.  ::)

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2012, 12:11:19 PM »
Voters who would like to be fully informed about their political choices, you idiot.  ::)

haha, thats roughly 5% of US voters.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2012, 12:13:01 PM »
haha, thats roughly 5% of US voters.
Is that registered voters, or those who actually haul their asses off the sofa to cast one in '12?   :-\       ;D

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2012, 12:14:37 PM »
Is that registered voters, or those who actually haul their asses of the sofa to cast one in '12?   :-\       ;D

don't worry Obama will be sending the buses from the local "Hallelujah!"  churches to round them up.   

A surefire way to cause him to lose would be for all public transportation in the US to be out of commision on election day.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2012, 12:14:54 PM »
240 you are always babbling about conservatism.....how in the f'n hell did you vote for Obama and openly support him on the board?  That is so absolutely insane that it's comical.  If someone like Sambo Blanco wants to support Obama, fine, everyone is entitled to their view of policies, etc...  BUT to talk about being a conservative and then supporting Obama is beyond idiotic.

I voted bob barr in 2008.  I posted for months before the election that mccain was senile, palin was an idiot, and obama was liberal policies I disliked.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2012, 12:17:01 PM »

That does not bother me at all.   What bothers me are liars who supported ghettobama in 2008 and now pretend to be RP fans in 2012 despite being against 90% of libertarian issues, and trashing whoever has a shot at ousting the communist thug obama.   

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2012, 12:18:27 PM »
don't worry Obama will be sending the buses from the local "Hallelujah!"  churches to round them up.   

A surefire way to cause him to lose would be for all public transportation in the US to be out of commision on election day.
And the GOP will be finding ways to strike Blacks and low-income earners off voter's lists. I know the drill by now. What a mess.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2012, 12:20:12 PM »
And the GOP will be finding ways to strike Blacks and low-income earners off voter's lists. I know the drill by now. What a mess.

Lets be honest, should they really be elgible to vote if they don't PAY taxes and have a valid ID?  ;D ;)