Author Topic: Munoz out, Sonnen in against Bisping...  (Read 5093 times)

20inch calves

• Getbig V
Re: Munoz out, Sonnen in against Bisping...
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2012, 09:04:39 PM »
Man, I wish soccer kicks where legal.  I personal don't see a problem with them.  Soccer kicks where used in Pride for a decade or so and not one person died or was seriously (I mean seriously as beyond the normal fight serious) injured.  Stomps on the other hand should only be allowed to the body and legs.

and they are still used in dream. the refs were always good about stoppages also
irongearco.com

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2012, 11:31:24 AM »
and they are still used in dream. the refs were always good about stoppages also

I hear ya.   I imagine kicks on the ground would add a new weapon to submission defense.    Someone attempts a submission and a fighter is able to can kick his way out of it, that would be pretty cool.  I doubt the rules will ever change though.
A

chixlegs

• Getbig III
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2012, 04:02:47 PM »
Sonnen's post fight interview with Rogen was hysterical.  That guy is a ham.  I like him.  So glad to see him beat Bisping the lithpy bitch.  I just wish it were a knockout a la Dan Henderson.  :o

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2012, 04:21:22 PM »
Am i the only person that thought Bisping won? I thought it was clear as day he won the first 2 and lost the 3rd, i half expected Chael to get the nod for the Silva fight but i was still completely shocked. Well done to Bisping for a decent outing against the consensus #2 regardless.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2012, 04:48:29 PM »
Am i the only person that thought Bisping won? I thought it was clear as day he won the first 2 and lost the 3rd, i half expected Chael to get the nod for the Silva fight but i was still completely shocked. Well done to Bisping for a decent outing against the consensus #2 regardless.
It was an all around shitty fight.  I think Sonnen won by his takedowns alone.  Bisping is decent, but he just tries to outpoint everyone.   He doesn't have knockout power, and he doesn't submit anyone either.  Sonnen won a boring fight.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2012, 05:56:20 PM »
It was an all around shitty fight.  I think Sonnen won by his takedowns alone.  Bisping is decent, but he just tries to outpoint everyone.   He doesn't have knockout power, and he doesn't submit anyone either.  Sonnen won a boring fight.

I share your opinion on this.  Sonnen scored takes downs in the first two round, and like it or not, judges place a lot of emphasis on take downs.  Bisping didn't land anything of worth.
A

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2012, 06:23:02 AM »
To me, as much as I hate to say it, Bisping was the better fighter that night.  I don't know if Sonnen had issues cutting etc, or whether Bissy is a better fighter than I thought.

Regardless, I feel that the UFC is seeing a Sonnen/Silva rematch as a better seller as a Bisping/Silva fight, albeit the latter would be great for the fan base in England.

That being said, I feel the judges/UFC steered the fight to Sonnen.  Makes you wonder if Dana or the like whispers into the judges' ears regarding what they should do if the fight is close and comes down to decision.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2012, 04:19:17 PM »
To me, as much as I hate to say it, Bisping was the better fighter that night.  I don't know if Sonnen had issues cutting etc, or whether Bissy is a better fighter than I thought.

Regardless, I feel that the UFC is seeing a Sonnen/Silva rematch as a better seller as a Bisping/Silva fight, albeit the latter would be great for the fan base in England.

That being said, I feel the judges/UFC steered the fight to Sonnen.  Makes you wonder if Dana or the like whispers into the judges' ears regarding what they should do if the fight is close and comes down to decision.

Chael was the clear winner. He won the first and third rounds, in my opinion. I think Bisping lended a right upperhand on Sonnen in the first round that really affected Sonnen and made him shy in the fight.

Having said that, I think that if Sonnen shows up to fight Anderson like he did against Bisping and Anderson is at 100%, he will get demolished. Sonnen was very slow in this fight. Anderson willl easily evade his TK attempts and clock him. You cannot be slow when fighting Anderson, irrespective of whether you are a wrestler or striker.

It is pretty obvious that Sonnen without steroids is a completely different animal from Sonnen on sauce. Sonnen seems to belong to the Belfort school of fighters, those who became vastly better on steroids - most fighters become only a little better on steroids.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2012, 11:12:40 AM »
  Chael was the clear winner. He won the first and third rounds, in my opinion. I think Bisping lended a right upperhand on Sonnen in the first round that really affected Sonnen and made him shy in the fight.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

No way.  There wasn't a clear winner by any means bro.  Nothing was clear.  That's why people are discussing it.  If there were a clear winner, there wouldn't be such a debate.

I had Bis winning both first and second rounds and Chael the third.  Some had it this way too.  Some had it your way i'm sure. 

There was no clear winner.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2012, 02:09:05 PM »
Chael believed he lost the fight, and he then begins praising Bisping by stating he could beat Silva if they fought etc. The doubt was evident, but its subjective and open to interpretation. Judges should be made to present a written statement detailing why they thought a fighter won in controversial circumstances and removed from the panels if deemed incompetent.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2012, 06:09:17 AM »
Chael believed he lost the fight, and he then begins praising Bisping by stating he could beat Silva if they fought etc. The doubt was evident, but its subjective and open to interpretation. Judges should be made to present a written statement detailing why they thought a fighter won in controversial circumstances and removed from the panels if deemed incompetent.

I agree. 

Like I said prior, I believe the judges somehow steer the decision which would benefit sales best.  In this case that would be Silva/Sonnen II. 

I know the judges are supposed to be nonbiased but there just seems to be so many strange decisions coming out lately. 

suckmymuscle

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2012, 12:29:54 PM »

Who is going to make such a judgement call on whether the judges are incompetent? Judging is arbitrary - the rules are objective, but the interpretation is not - so the judgement on whether the judgtes are competent or not will be just as subjective as the judgement of the MMA judges.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2012, 01:05:42 PM »
had the first round pretty even,had bisping clearly winning the second and Sonen clearly winnin the third..

one of the judges had to 30-27 which is beyond idiotic

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2012, 01:16:44 PM »
had the first round pretty even,had bisping clearly winning the second and Sonen clearly winnin the third..

one of the judges had to 30-27 which is beyond idiotic

this

it seems you can get your ass handed to you for ninety percent of a round but score a takedown and its in the bag

T

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2012, 04:17:29 PM »
Who is going to make such a judgement call on whether the judges are incompetent? Judging is arbitrary - the rules are objective, but the interpretation is not - so the judgement on whether the judgtes are competent or not will be just as subjective as the judgement of the MMA judges.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

I don't mean in reference to a close fight such as this one as they are certainly open to interpretation, i mean in regards to fights that have been landslide victories for a certain fighter and yet a judge has awarded the clear loser a 30 - 27 / 29 - 28 victory (Pham vs Garcia anyone?). Something which is clear for everyone to see, other recent examples being Rampage beating Machida or Machida beating Shogun (neither of which should ever have stood). These poor decisions are occurring too often and as of yet nobody has had to take ownership and explain why they made the decisions they did.

The absolute worst ive seen in any sport was Robin Reid vs Sven Ottke in Germany, a bout which saw Reid comfortably outclass Ottke for the first 6 rounds and still have him lose nearly all of them on the scorecards. Ridiculous refereeing yes, but the judges were never held to account. It might not seem important to fans however these decisions can change someone's life by presenting them with an opportunity they may not get again.