Author Topic: best protein powder for digestive issues  (Read 4834 times)

NY MUSCLE

• Getbig II
best protein powder for digestive issues
« on: January 26, 2012, 06:56:10 PM »
looking to get some ideas from those of you that have had issues with protein digestion. I find that almost all brands go thru me in about 20 min.

wild willie

• Getbig V
Re: best protein powder for digestive issues
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 07:33:36 PM »
Try using papaya enzyme.

SamsonD

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 07:57:32 PM »
Well most whey is going to go thru pretty fast.  Do you mean you get the runs, or just gas and bloating or what?  If it's making you go to the bathroom right away then the stuff the guys above mentioned should help.  You could also try LBA's and see how they treat you, or just try to get more whole food.  You don't need as much protein as youve been lead to believe through the years.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 04:31:37 PM »
looking to get some ideas from those of you that have had issues with protein digestion. I find that almost all brands go thru me in about 20 min.

Quite a few companies now include an enzyme blend in their powders.
For instance, ON adds "Aminogen" to several of their mixes. BSN uses an enzyme, too.

Additionally, you could take digestive enzymes like protease, or lactase if it's a lactose issue.
Also, try adding a bit more water to your shake and sip it slower over a longer period, rather than slamming the whole thing in a few seconds. The extra water and slower consumption can reduce gastric upset.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 04:38:42 PM »
You may also consider the possibility of a mild-to-moderate food allergy.
For instance, if it's a whey powder that's causing your problems, maybe try switching to egg for a while and see how your body reacts.

Iceman1981

• Getbig V
  • www.LegendsOfBodybuilding.com
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 01:53:40 PM »

This helps my dad:

http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Protein-Digest-60-Vcaps/10579?at=0

Voland

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • when you go scat you never come back ;)
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 02:02:39 PM »

My only solution was to never take a protein powder again. I stick to real food. Every time i've tried a protein shake it gave me the shits and/or gases and/or heartburn and/or bloat...just a never sick feeling. No matter what, isolate, hydrolized, with digestive enzymes...at the end of the day all protein powders are a chemical horrorshow, plain and simple its crap.

On top of that i don't believe in dairy consumption. Avoid that too.  

Use probiotics and stick to real food.
Boundary Breaker

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 02:36:16 PM »
You may also consider the possibility of a mild-to-moderate food allergy.
For instance, if it's a whey powder that's causing your problems, maybe try switching to egg for a while and see how your body reacts.

bump for this...

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 06:58:39 PM »
bump for this...

Many people do not realize that they can develop allergies to certain foods that they did not previously have.
Quantity is sometimes a factor; consuming too much of something can turn your body against it.

Sometimes, those allergies will resolve by abstaining from the problematic food source for a time.