Author Topic: Tolerance / Intolerance  (Read 1327 times)

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
  • THE most mistaken identity on getbig
Tolerance / Intolerance
« on: January 31, 2012, 12:31:24 PM »
ahhh preaching of tolerance by being intolerant...gotta love the left.

I'm not hijacking this thread, but do you think the intolerant should be tolerated? I won't draw you into a huge long argument like usual, I'm just wanting to hear your opinion and why.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Should the intolerant be tolerated?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 03:31:22 PM »
I'm not hijacking this thread, but do you think the intolerant should be tolerated? I won't draw you into a huge long argument like usual, I'm just wanting to hear your opinion and why.
well first look up the definition of tolerance and answer the question for yourself.

It isnt being tolerant if your picking and choosing what you want to be tolerant of is it?

Do you think being tolerant means being able to pick and choose what to be tolerant of? why or why not?

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
Should the intolerant be tolerated?
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 06:18:41 PM »
well first look up the definition of tolerance and answer the question for yourself.

It isnt being tolerant if your picking and choosing what you want to be tolerant of is it?

Do you think being tolerant means being able to pick and choose what to be tolerant of? why or why not?

By your definition (tolerance means tolerant of all things), then law would not exist. Some could argue that 'tolerance' is understood by definition to be 'limited tolerance'. For example, nobody advocates that we should give racist bigots political grounds in the name of 'tolerance' (Let's try jim crow laws again because some people are in favor of them). I'm not talking about a reportative definition, so the dictionary is of no use. I'm talking about an normative theory of tolerance.

I'm asking you, how tolerant should we be? Should we tolerate the intolerant? If so, to what degree? Should we give bigotry a shot for example? Should we tolerate a religion that gives burnt offerings? Etc.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Tolerance / Intolerance
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 07:56:44 PM »
By your definition (tolerance means tolerant of all things), then law would not exist. Some could argue that 'tolerance' is understood by definition to be 'limited tolerance'. For example, nobody advocates that we should give racist bigots political grounds in the name of 'tolerance' (Let's try jim crow laws again because some people are in favor of them). I'm not talking about a reportative definition, so the dictionary is of no use. I'm talking about an normative theory of tolerance.

I'm asking you, how tolerant should we be? Should we tolerate the intolerant? If so, to what degree? Should we give bigotry a shot for example? Should we tolerate a religion that gives burnt offerings? Etc.
and how did I know that your institutionally educated self would take it to the level of hyperbole that you did?

I could literally lay this argument out before we even get in to it.

me: lets say this tolerance of ideas that arent harmful.

you: atheist believe religion to be harmful OR so religious ppl should be tolerant of gays?

me: Religion has been the basis for far more good in this world then the rational behind bad OR the majority of religious ppl are tolerant of gays, being tolerant doesnt mean condoning or accepting.

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
Re: Tolerance / Intolerance
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 08:03:46 AM »
lmao at this thread being separated (Hi Stella). I won't reply, I was just wanting to know your limits on tolerance, if any. I think it's an interesting, and important, thing to think about.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 09:14:05 AM »
lmao at this thread being separated (Hi Stella). I won't reply, I was just wanting to know your limits on tolerance, if any. I think it's an interesting, and important, thing to think about.

Me too, that's why I gave the subject it's own thread.   I didn't move it because I'm intolerant of hijacks ;D

I think a view of the "tolerance/intolerance" issue can be compared a bit to the Liberal view of Conservatives and vice versa.........the Lib view being that the Conservatives epouse family values and yet some Conserves that do are involved in the exact behavior they may speak against.

Liberals are seen by Conservatives as espousing that they (the Libs) are tolerant of everyone (possibly because they are seen to denigrate Conservatives for being intolerant thus indirectly presenting themselves as tolerant or more tolerant than Conservatives) yet they come off as intolerant of those that hold differing opinions than they hold (Conservatives).

But there is a difference imo in people that have belief systems that may have low tolerance for certain issues ....because they do not claim to have high tolerance in the first place for these issues.

I don't think I answered your question w/the above though...so I would go w/tony's "tolerance of ideas/etc that aren't harmful.   And when you disect those down, there are going to be even more differences of opinions as to what is and what is not harmful.
R

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 10:37:25 AM »
Thread Hijack:  Are free people free to give up their freedom?     ;D

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 02:35:43 PM »
Thread Hijack:  Are free people free to give up their freedom?     ;D

:o

R

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 04:07:50 PM »

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 08:09:42 PM »
Thread Hijack:  Are free people free to give up their freedom?     ;D
:) yes, giving up rights can be compensation to other parties when entering into contracts.

Like when hospitals say you cant smoke even when not at work. By saying yes to working for them part of your compensation to the hospital is giving up the right to smoke along with your labor in return for pay and benefits.

Its your right to give up rights ;)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 02:00:54 AM »
:) yes, giving up rights can be compensation to other parties when entering into contracts.

Like when hospitals say you cant smoke even when not at work. By saying yes to working for them part of your compensation to the hospital is giving up the right to smoke along with your labor in return for pay and benefits.

Its your right to give up rights ;)

Thanks!  I was thinking more about a free nation giving up most, if not all of their freedom, by voting a dictatorship into power.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 08:47:43 PM »
Thanks!  I was thinking more about a free nation giving up most, if not all of their freedom, by voting a dictatorship into power.
ahhh, interesting...

I guess so, look at germany prior to ww2 they were a democracy and voted to give hitler all the power.

we elect officials that have increasingly taken away our civil liberties