Author Topic: Steroid abuse has become a major problem among police officers ?  (Read 5628 times)

musclecenter

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mr.Taiwan
Steroid abuse has become a major problem among police officers ?
« on: February 04, 2012, 01:42:32 AM »
 ::)

http://www.ct.com/news/advocates/latest-news/nm-ht04ncsteroids-20120117,0,1840885.story?track=rss

By Gregory B. Hladky

3:35 p.m. EST, January 17, 2012
Investigations in Oregon, Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, New York and other states have in recent years found disturbing evidence of police officers abusing steroids. But Connecticut police insist they've never seen it here.

A national expert who's been studying steroid use in all types of subcultures from athletics to the military believes "tens of thousands" of cops all across the U.S. are on such illegal drugs. But the head of the largest police union in this state, a man who spent 20 years with the Milford P.D., says the issue has never even been raised in any Connecticut disciplinary hearing he knows about.

A recent scandal in New Jersey turned up 248 public safety officials — most of them cops — who were getting steroids prescribed by a steroid-abusing doctor, and New Jersey officials responded by ordering
random police drug testing. But a Connecticut State Police spokesman says his department doesn't do that.
Just last month, a federal appeals court ruled a New Jersey police chief was within his rights to order several of his officers to undergo testing for steroids, strip them of their weapons and put them on desk duty.

But state Rep. Stephen Dargan, the long-time co-chairman of the Connecticut legislature's Public Safety Committee, says he's never, ever even heard of questions about police steroid abuse being voiced in this state. "That's a new one on me," he says.

John Hoberman is a University of Texas professor who's spent 25 years studying the social implications of widespread steroid use among professional and amateur athletes, body builders, the military and police.

And statements from Connecticut law enforcement officials that they don't believe cop-steroid abuse is a significant problem here, or the fact that the issue hasn't even been raised before in this state, comes as no surprise to Hoberman.

"This has been a suppressed and under-reported story," he says of steroids and the cops. He has found most police departments "prefer to deal with [steroid abuse] as an internal matter" rather than have it become public.

Hoberman says he's collected "hundreds of reports" of such cases from around the U.S., Canada, Scotland and England.

"This is not an isolated phenomenon — it's a country-wide phenomenon," he adds.

The biggest concern most people have over steroid "juiced" cops is the potential for increased aggression in someone who's armed and trained to use everything from pepper spray and stun guns to firearms. And one result of the New Jersey scandal is a spate of civil lawsuits claiming excessive use of force by some of the officers implicated in steroid abuse.

Connecticut has had its share of police scandals, including a recent federal investigation that found East Haven cops routinely harassed and abused Latino drivers. The feds also reported those local cops often used excessive force, but there's been no discussion of the possibility of steroid abuse.

Hoberman says so-called 'Roid Rage' isn't actually a common side effect of steroid use. "It's too simple to assume that steroids are causing violent behavior," he points out. He says steroid abuse by a police officer is often a good indicator that he (and steroid abuse is almost exclusively limited to males) is having other serious problems.

There is also the problem that a cop buying an illegal drug like steroids, either from a corrupt doctor or on the black market, "is making himself vulnerable to blackmail or pressure," Hoberman says.

At the same time, that potential for aggressive behavior is a worrisome part of the whole issue. An article in the June 2008 edition of The Police Chief, a magazine billing itself as "The Professional Voice of Law Enforcement," listed "increased self-confidence, increased activity, impaired judgment, and reckless behavior" as some of the possible side effects of steroid abuse. Not what you're looking for in dudes allowed to carry guns on the job.

According to Hoberman, many police officers who get caught in steroid scandals claim they needed to do it to bulk up and increase their physical fitness in order to handle confrontations with drug addicts and bad-ass street criminals.

"I don't think this is an adequate rationale for steroid use," Hoberman says. He says his research indicates that most cops who use such drugs are doing it for basically the same reason as everyone else: "For cosmetic purposes."

"Young men want to look good," Hoberman says, arguing most 18- to 34-year-old abusers use steroids "in order to look ripped and well defined."

Jeffrey Matchett spent 20 years as a cop in Milford and now heads AFSCME Local 15, Connecticut's biggest police union with some 4,000 members. He says questions about police steroid abuse in this state "is a surprise to me. … I haven't seen this occurring."

Matchett says there is no statewide standard for random drug testing for police in Connecticut and that the issue is left up to individual police collective bargaining units.

Copyright © 2012, WTXX-TV
nm-ht04ncsteroids-20120117
1 2 next |   single page
  Share31
« Previous Story More Latest News From The Hartford Advocate, New Haven Advocate and Fairfield Weekly Next Story »  Connecticut lawmakers push for clearer rules about genetically modified foods  New study linking medical pot to lower traffic fatalities adding to momentum for approval in Connecticut
 Commentary

Even racists in the South and elsewhere worry about where their next paycheck is coming from 
Newt Gingrich's attacks on Mitt Romney undermine the foundation of Republicans' ideology 
What lies beneath a new Archdiocese of Hartford's program to help gay Catholics

hematocritter

• Getbig III
Re: Steroid abuse has become a major problem among police officers ?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 02:10:46 AM »
I've seen a lot of pretty built police officers these days.
When the recession hit hard, I considered being an LEO in California, pay and benefits are
off the hook. I had already lost a good 30lbs of muscle and fat from running 3 miles each
day to prep for the academy.
One of the instructors was an Asian guy about 5'7'', and this guy was so jacked looking
it almost made me laugh. I'm sure he didn't weigh much, but he definitely had the illusion
going. I have no clue what he was on, but he'd show up for work looking like he was almost
ready to step on stage.
I am not sure how it works, but I suppose they get a bit of a 'free pass' as long as they
aren't in any excessive force altercations where 'roid rage' was the culprit  ::)
Because of my musculature (nothing any of you would be impressed with), I was grilled a bit
harder for it.
The main look I notice with these guys is the massive forearms and vascularity.

If anyone is curious, LEO's in California can make six figures plus great benefits.... it is a sought
after career. Some agencies starting pay is $80k.

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 02:16:44 AM »
I have friends that are cops and use roids.  They say they need them to combat when they get involved in scuffles.  They always take the code of silence on the issue to outsiders.

mass243

• Getbig V
  • On right side of the history!
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 02:22:03 AM »

That's also one of the reasons why cops are so aggressive in many places these days.

I recall, Soldiers in certain countries used to be given test to make them more aggressive... that may still be the case in sum' countries with no ethics, dunno  ::)

devilsmile

• Getbig V
  • Hows life? Please, do tell.
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 02:34:45 AM »

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 02:42:03 AM »
there is no IQ test to become a cop in most US states so I am not surprised that it would attract the adonis complex types... being a cop is about outsmarting the criminals.... you have a gun if you need to use naked force

SmallPole

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 02:49:13 AM »

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 03:13:06 AM »
I have friends that are cops and use roids.  They say they need them to combat the neegars when they get involved in scuffles.  They always take the code of silence on the issue to outsiders.
Yes, because all of those dudes are all on steriods ::)...if more LE were in shape, then they wouldn't have to take a shortcut.

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
  • Big dude...all the way big dude.
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 04:44:22 AM »
O

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 05:07:59 AM »
as long as steroid abuse doesn't become a major problem among "natural" chinese bodybuilders, it is fine.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 05:20:19 AM »
Nothing new here.  Cops have been using roids for a long time.  My gym was full of them back in the 80's.

yates fan

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 06:37:00 AM »
probably should be a requirement.

NotMrAverage

• Getbig IV
  • SCHPORT
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 07:24:32 AM »
15 years or so ago a friend of mine who was a big dealer told me he his best customers were the riot police....he was very honest with everything so i see nor reason for him to lie....acab
MIRAGETROPIN

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2012, 01:52:46 PM »
Cops + drugs?  Nooooo. Never happen.
a

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2012, 02:05:07 PM »
ummmm
L

The Grim Lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2012, 03:09:04 PM »

That's just the set of DA's latest movie

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2012, 04:18:34 PM »
Yes, because all of those dudes are all on steriods ::)...if more LE were in shape, then they wouldn't have to take a shortcut.

No dude.  Not because the thugs are on roids.  It's the fact these guys are 40 plus y/o still working the streets of St. Louis trying to combat these 18-25 y/o criminals.  If they don't have a gun they run.  Now to have that advantage on the ground you have to over power them.  Regardless of what some think that cops shoot at will is BS.

The_Punisher

• Getbig V
  • The Unrighteous Shall Pay
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2012, 04:23:27 PM »
ummmm

hahhahahaha......this pic never gets old.......I hope coleman will be receiving his pension soon from Arlington PD

qbkilla

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2012, 04:57:11 PM »
1.  cops shouldnt be allowed to use roids if im not, and if they are the ones that try and pull me over and search my car.  fuck cops they should be tested.

2.  just because they use roids doesnt mean they dont look like shit.  90% of guys who use roids look like shit cuz they take pussy does.  500mg of test and 400 mg of eq? lol.  if they are taking grams, gh, and slin, then they might build a physique but a little bottle of IP sustanon wont do shit.

3.  they need them to combat criminals?  yeah some 140lb crackhead, if you cant take him on you need a pair of nuts and no hormone will help you. 

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
  • Big dude...all the way big dude.
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2012, 05:24:05 PM »
That's just the set of DA's latest movie

You could be right..

O

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2012, 05:43:47 PM »
Police suicide rates in America are 17 in every 100,000

General population suicide rates in America are 11 in every 100,000

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2012, 05:49:22 PM »

looks pretty good, no bloated bellies like pro bbs.

the guy in the middle to the right needs to up his dose! lol

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2012, 07:07:00 PM »
  LEO PED

diamondcut

• Getbig III
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2012, 11:21:43 PM »
every family friend police officer i knew was pretty damn jacked

obv they are on, never was dumb enough to ask literaly though