Author Topic: Should Newt Drop Out?  (Read 428 times)

howardroark

• Getbig IV
  • Resident Objectivist & Autodidact
Should Newt Drop Out?
« on: February 08, 2012, 04:44:01 AM »
What do you guys think? After Santorum's "hat trick" last night, is it time for Newt to drop out?

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
Re: Should Newt Drop Out?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 04:47:52 AM »
No. Didn't you hear?  Newt already said he would be the nominee.  So just let the circus run it's course.

howardroark

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 05:00:37 AM »
No. Didn't you hear?  Newt already said he would be the nominee.  So just let the circus run it's course.

LOL. It kind of runs against Newt's narrative if he loses to the other RINO running for the anti-Mitt position.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 05:08:36 PM »
If people think he should drop out now, then Pau lshould as well and so should Santorum. I dont understand this point at all. Sorry.

howardroark

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 05:51:09 PM »
If people think he should drop out now, then Pau lshould as well and so should Santorum. I dont understand this point at all. Sorry.

The point is that the Republican vote is split in three:
1. The Moderates (mostly for Mitt)
2. The Conservatives (split between Newt and Santorum)
3. The "Old Right" and Libertarians (mostly for Ron Paul)

If Santorum has taken off with momentum and impeding on Newt's campaign strategy for pulling off a win, then it could be beneficial for Newt to drop out in order to quit splintering the conservative vote.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 07:47:04 PM »
paul appeals to a totally different type of conservative then newt does

yes newt should drop out, I think he has some good views and points but he just has way to much baggage to get any real traction.

MM2K

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 11:22:52 PM »
He has a moral right to stay in and see what he can do on Super Tuesday March 6. If he does very poorly on that night he should consider dropping out.
Jan. Jobs: 36,000!!

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 11:29:35 PM »
The point is that the Republican vote is split in three:
1. The Moderates (mostly for Mitt)
2. The Conservatives (split between Newt and Santorum)
3. The "Old Right" and Libertarians (mostly for Ron Paul)

If Santorum has taken off with momentum and impeding on Newt's campaign strategy for pulling off a win, then it could be beneficial for Newt to drop out in order to quit splintering the conservative vote.
Good point but the #2 choice, conservatives who are mostly neocons these days, will back mitt before they back Paul.  Paul stands a better chance of a comeback if Mitt loses out states to Santorum and Newt at this point.

But... I'm going sailing for 4 years if Santorum becomes president...  I don't want to be around to watch that disaster.

howardroark

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 05:57:13 AM »
He has a moral right to stay in and see what he can do on Super Tuesday March 6. If he does very poorly on that night he should consider dropping out.

Of course he has a right to stay in... But from what I understood from Newt's post-Nevada news conference, a major part of his strategy was winning the states after Nevada. All I'm saying is that if Newt dropped out and endorsed Santorum, then he'd unite the conservative base against Mitt.

For all I care, Newt can stay in and keep on splitting the conservative vote. It works out better for Ron Paul and makes the Old Right conservatives and libertarians in the GOP more powerful this election cycle.