Author Topic: How did bodybuilders train for 4-5 hours back in 70s?  (Read 3571 times)

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
Re: How did bodybuilders train for 4-5 hours back in 70s?
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2012, 05:28:01 PM »
I did the Arnold plan when I first really got into training, made some pretty decent progress the first few months...probably more in that time frame than ever before or sense; however, if you're going by his book, once you get to phase two it's impossible without gear IMO. Level two, you're talking each body-part three times a week, I mean we're talking 40-50 sets per body part per week. Anyway, even at level one, without gear you've got to be relatively young to recover from these workouts IMO.

Anyway, your comment "steroids have made me exceptionally lazy with a poor work ethic" I was always the opposite. My understanding, at least the way I always saw it was the whole point in supplementing with steroids was to take what you're already doing right and to simply do it a little better. If anything, I worked harder on than off.
im with aesthetics. back when i was a natural i made great gains training 7 days a week, few hours per body part, over 20 sets to failure and beyond. just kicking my own ass into oblivion everyday, everyworkout.  doesnt work like that for me on juice though. get good results just doign a couple sets, squeezing the muscle, and leaving the gym to go rest. if i kick ass and go to failure a bunch now, i overtrain, lose strength, and make no progress. as a natty it worked great though.

Lebaneselion

• Getbig II
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2012, 05:37:59 PM »
Isnt it meant to be the oppsite? Shud gain better while juicing?

Nicademus

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2012, 07:17:46 PM »
im with aesthetics. back when i was a natural i made great gains training 7 days a week, few hours per body part, over 20 sets to failure and beyond. just kicking my own ass into oblivion everyday, everyworkout.  doesnt work like that for me on juice though. get good results just doign a couple sets, squeezing the muscle, and leaving the gym to go rest. if i kick ass and go to failure a bunch now, i overtrain, lose strength, and make no progress. as a natty it worked great though.

When you were natural?  Are you saying that you were on AAS in those pics you posted?  I thought you were a 45 year old putting up progress pics.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2012, 07:48:40 PM »

When you were natural?  Are you saying that you were on AAS in those pics you posted?  I thought you were a 45 year old putting up progress pics.
huh ?

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2012, 07:49:15 PM »
Isnt it meant to be the oppsite? Shud gain better while juicing?
do what works, not what you think should work

FAST LANE

• Getbig III
  • Life's too short to be small
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2012, 09:06:05 PM »
Dude that makes absolutely no sense at all LOL

Don't know how that worked for you, but it's good you figured out your body, good work

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2012, 09:24:17 PM »

When I first read your response, my initial reaction was like what Fast Lane said, that doesn't make any sense. However, if I were to guess, I'd say you probably had good progress like that when you were natural for the same reason I had good progress like that when I was natural...you were younger, your body was fresh and you would have probably responded well to just about anything.

As for being on gear or not, too many sets is too many sets...of course you can over train either way, even so, you're overall recovery abilities should be better on-cycle than not. If not, something's not right, because that's one of the main points to AAS.

Stavios

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2012, 09:31:12 PM »
I never, ever need more than 40 minutes for a bodypart

ever

and if it takes 40 minutes, it's because someone talked to me for a few minutes

whitewidow

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2012, 09:32:09 PM »
I used to train for 4 hours but learned that was a shitty way to train Unless you break up the training. like say workout for an hour and go grab some food and go back and workout a diffrent bodypart for another hour then go eat again go back to the gym and swim for about a hour. then tan for 30-40minutes. that is pretty close to 4 hours.They had nothing else to do but train! they were all addicted to working out! none of them had a job or had anything better to do. I heard the stories of frank zane doing abs for like 2 hours. then trained other muscle groups after that so 4 hours would go pretty quick if you spent 2 hours just doing diffrent kinds of sit-ups. Some guys squated for a few hours. same deal after that they probably did a few other excersises and I bet 3-4 hours went by fast. I used to train kind of stupid and be in at the gym for 3-4 hours but that is not necessary. 1 hour of intense training just a few muscle groups is all it takes. some days I just train chest for a hour and that is it! same with legs once a week for just a hour per workout. like someone said earlier if you workout hard and keep the intensity high and the time between sets real low like 30 seconds that is all you need to do.But when you just workout for a hour per session you pretty much have to train everyday. or at least 6 days a week

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2012, 09:32:16 PM »
well if you look at most serious athletes who train for several hours a day they are pretty ripped up. professional football players, baseball players, basketball players, gymnasts, sprinters, etc.  ya alot of them use roids but still, any serious athlete who trains their ass off looks pretty good. and as a natty you cant really build much muscle anyways, so i think more= better  for natural trainers, at least to a certain extent.

notsureifsrs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2012, 12:06:04 AM »
well if you look at most serious athletes who train for several hours a day they are pretty ripped up. professional football players, baseball players, basketball players, gymnasts, sprinters, etc.  ya alot of them use roids but still, any serious athlete who trains their ass off looks pretty good. and as a natty you cant really build much muscle anyways, so i think more= better  for natural trainers, at least to a certain extent.
Not any, there is a lot of top athletes that look like shit simply because their 'look' has nothing to do with their goals.

And what does this example has to do with bodybuilding anyway?