Author Topic: Searching for colleges for my son...  (Read 7841 times)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
Searching for colleges for my son...
« on: February 12, 2012, 07:11:43 PM »
..and came across this. I'll be there at the end of April but damn what a facility. Having a great facility is a selling point for him..and me :P.

Check out the video.

http://www.utsports.com/tnfund/tnfund-football-training.html

Your Average GymRat

Re: Searching for colleges for my son...
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 07:50:31 PM »
You can stare at as many brochures s you want, but sub-par grades don't open university doors.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 07:52:45 PM »
You can stare at as many brochures s you want, but sub-par grades don't open university doors.

He's still a freshman so no hurry, just looking to budget. But as of now he's a 3.8.

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 07:58:08 PM »
Good luck to you and your son. Is he playing ball or what?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 08:09:53 PM »
Good luck to you and your son. Is he playing ball or what?

He plays baseball and football. last year was his first year playing organized FB but he's been playing baseball since he was 4-5. I told him after his sophmore FB season I'd like him to make a choice between the sports. As of now he's our starting JV catcher and subs for Varsity.

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 08:18:54 PM »
He plays baseball and football. last year was his first year playing organized FB but he's been playing baseball since he was 4-5. I told him after his sophmore FB season I'd like him to make a choice between the sports. As of now he's our starting JV catcher and subs for Varsity.

Cool..cool. Yeah if he's been playing baseball since that age..keep him there. He's already got a solid foundation. The athletes in my family were all track and field. I ran track but loved football (broke the family mold)...only problem is that sport is all about "luck" more than talent imo. I went to Miss State and all I can say is it didn't pan out, wrong coaches, wrong position..killed my spirit.

I always said if I had a kid, I'd want him to play baseball if he wanted to choose a sport to play. I feel atleast there he wouldn't have to go through what I did. Guys in the league now that I used to play with thing....football is all about timing in being in the right place imo. Baseball...if you work hard and get good..they will find YOU!.

Good luck man.

Stavios

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 08:23:13 PM »
Cool..cool. Yeah if he's been playing baseball since that age..keep him there. He's already got a solid foundation. The athletes in my family were all track and field. I ran track but loved football (broke the family mold)...only problem is that sport is all about "luck" more than talent imo. I went to Miss State and all I can say is it didn't pan out, wrong coaches, wrong position..killed my spirit.

I always said if I had a kid, I'd want him to play baseball if he wanted to choose a sport to play. I feel atleast there he wouldn't have to go through what I did. Guys in the league now that I used to play with thing....football is all about timing in being in the right place imo. Baseball...if you work hard and get good..they will find YOU!.

Good luck man.

how about letting the kid chose what he prefers

it's only sports after all

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 08:23:58 PM »

This
X

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 08:28:45 PM »

Good luck man.

Thank you, as for football he did good in his first season, played WR and DB most of the time, finished the season 6/6 on receptions, 4 tackles and two TD's. Unfortunately he might have my "short" genetics (he's 5'4 130). I'd love for him to play a sport, at least thats the goal.

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 08:30:01 PM »

yeah ultimately it's up to him. I guess I should say if my kid would ask me between the two.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 08:37:35 PM »

He grew up playing sports with no sign of wanting to discontinue at any time since he was a toddler. If he did not want to do a sport I wasn't going to force him. Luckily he never indicated he wanted to stop. Saying "it's only a sport" is naive. It's good sports programs started early in life that guided kids, it teaches hard work and responsibility. Keeps most kids out of trouble.

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 08:38:17 PM »
Thank you, as for football he did good in his first season, played WR and DB most of the time, finished the season 6/6 on receptions, 4 tackles and two TD's. Unfortunately he might have my "short" genetics (he's 5'4 130). I'd love for him to play a sport, at least thats the goal.

Never know about the height thing..my cousin dad was 5'10 his mom was 5'6..and he hit a growth spurt in HS during summer and he was 6'4 - 6'5 by his senior year (before then he was never past 5'8). Got a full scholar to Southern Miss. Basketball.

I think my freshmen year i was like 5'6 - 5'7 by senior I was 5'11 225 playing tailback still running the 100m LOL. You never know. Just keep him competitive and he'll be fine.

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 08:40:49 PM »
I played baseball at the u of KY. What a long ass process that was finding and picking a school. BTW I went to the coach,he never would have found me.

dustin

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 08:43:42 PM »

Yeah, sports are no big deal. No big deal like bodybuilding, or as I like to call it... thong flex. ;D 8)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 08:48:12 PM »
Coach, are you one of those fathers who screams and yells at his kid when he strikes out or misses a pass?  :-\ :-\ And youre all like, "YOU SHOULD HAVE CAUGHT THAT PASS! YOU MUST BE NUMBER ONE! HOW WILL YOU EVER MAKE IT INTO THE NFL OR MLB?"
X

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2012, 08:50:01 PM »
I played baseball at the u of KY. What a long ass process that was finding and picking a school. BTW I went to the coach,he never would have found me.

My wife graduated from UK. Another great facility. Did you play for your entire college career?

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2012, 08:51:10 PM »
..and came across this. I'll be there at the end of April but damn what a facility. Having a great facility is a selling point for him..and me :P.

Check out the video.

http://www.utsports.com/tnfund/tnfund-football-training.html

Neither you nor your son sound very interested in academics. :-[

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2012, 08:55:02 PM »
Coach, are you one of those fathers who screams and yells at his kid when he strikes out or misses a pass?  :-\ :-\ And youre all like, "YOU SHOULD HAVE CAUGHT THAT PASS! YOU MUST BE NUMBER ONE! HOW WILL YOU EVER MAKE IT INTO THE NFL OR MLB?"

Nope, I will call him out in certain situations but I have no delusions of grandeur. I'm a baseball coach and an S&C coach and a student and follower of the teaching of John Wooden.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2012, 08:57:54 PM »
Neither you nor your son sound very interested in academics. :-[

????? Academics are #1. Even in MY athletic programs they have to carry a minimum 3.0. High Schools only want a 2.0 for sports which I think is criminal. They should raise the standard. Even if my own son drops below a 3.0 he's out until he brings it back up. Fortunately that has not happen.

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2012, 09:01:44 PM »
My wife graduated from UK. Another great facility. Did you play for your entire college career?

3 years. Out on injury one year, then transferred to st johns. I should have started there. At UK I was getting zero education and just drank all day.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2012, 09:08:19 PM »
Until saw Tennessee's site his other choices were (and still are) TCU, USC, CS Fullerton (baseball) and Long Beach St. (baseball). All depends on his GPA. 

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2012, 09:28:21 PM »
Coach good luck to you guys.... I'm sure your kid will succeed in whatever he chooses.... you're a great influence on him and a great role model!  I'm sure it will all work out for the best for you guys!  No doubt!
Reading your posts, I couldn't ever imagine that you are a guy who would push your kids to live out whatever dreams that you may have for yourself, but I imagine that you're a good support to them, and being in the business that you are in, I imagine athletics is big in your family, which is definitely a great opportunity for your young one to learn a thing or two!

I'm a big supporter of sports in High School, I myself played something almost every season when I was there; Lacross, Basketball, Track and Field... But.... football - that was my sport.... played it for the first time in 8th grade (When I first moved to the US), and by Junior year I was starting Nose-Tackle on our Varsity Team, started both ways senior year!  I even got letters from different colleges (all Division 3 though!) asking for a meeting to potentially come play for them....most notable of them being Catholic University http://www.cuacardinals.com/sports/fball/index  - I talked with them and was on the verge of confirming, it was almost a done deal, but then I got accepted at George Washington University - and since they don't have a Football team, I ended up choosing academics over athletics and kissed my football dreams goodbye!  All good, not like I was gonna be playing in the NFL or anything (although a couple of my teammates did).

GWU had an AWESOME weight room though, and I spent many hours there!  During that time they tried to recruit me many times to Crew and to the Cheerleading squad, but I kept turning them down, because at the time I was so focused on competing in bodybuilding and just didn't have the desire to do anything else!

Good luck to you buddy!

pluck

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2012, 09:42:23 PM »
Saying "it's only a sport" is naive. It's good sports programs started early in life that guided kids, it teaches hard work and responsibility. Keeps most kids out of trouble.

I agree. I wrestled and played football in high school. I still remember running 45 minutes non stop, stairs, up downs, gassers, 3 a days...like it was yesterday. I have kept a lot of friends since then (12 years ago), helped my work ethic tremendously and for sure kept me out of trouble. Plus chicks dig athletes!

The only problem I have with athletics is when the crazy parents try to push a kid into it and the kid hates it. There were a lot of guys who hated sports that I played with and only did it because their parents forced them. Also when the kids stress athletics over academics isn't good either. After high school is over ...sports don't mean shit. Unless you play for a D1 school and have pros scouting you...it does not matter.

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2012, 10:02:10 PM »
and by Junior year I was starting Nose-Tackle on our Varsity Team

Sorry, couldn't resist.. :D

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2012, 10:06:50 PM »
Sorry, couldn't resist.. :D

yeah yeah yeah  - ironic, isn't it  ;D