Author Topic: Mormon Church apologizes for posthumous baptisms  (Read 1308 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Mormon Church apologizes for posthumous baptisms
« on: February 15, 2012, 01:49:59 PM »
Mormon Church apologizes for posthumous baptisms
The parents of Nazi hunter Simon Wiesenthal received the rite, which was also sought for relatives of Holocaust survivor Elie Wiesel. Critics note that Mormons agreed in 1995 to stop baptizing Jewish victims of the Holocaust.
By Mitchell Landsberg, Los Angeles Times

The Mormon Church apologized Tuesday for a "serious breach of protocol" after it was discovered that the parents of the late Nazi hunter Simon Wiesenthal were posthumously baptized as Mormons. The church also acknowledged that one of its members tried to baptize posthumously three relatives of Holocaust survivor Elie Wiesel.

The efforts, at least in Wiesenthal's case, violated the terms of an agreement that the church signed in 1995, in which it agreed to stop baptizing Jewish victims of the Holocaust. Wiesenthal and Wiesel gained fame for careers spent grappling with the legacy of the Holocaust, Wiesenthal by hunting down war criminals, Wiesel by writing books that became part of the canon of 20th century literature.

Coming at a time when the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is in the public eye as perhaps never before, the revelations could prove embarrassing — and, conceivably, influence perceptions of presidential candidate Mitt Romney's faith.

Posthumous baptism is common in the Mormon Church. The purpose is to ensure that ancestors can join church members in the afterlife. Individual Mormons submit to the church the names of persons they wish to have baptized, then undergo baptism "by proxy."

However, the practice has sometimes offended those of other faiths whose ancestors are baptized by proxy by enthusiastic Mormons. That is especially true of the families of Jewish victims of the Holocaust, whose outcries prompted the 1995 agreement. Although the Mormon Church now says its policy limits posthumous baptisms to direct ancestors of its members, it acknowledges that the policy is sometimes violated.

The latest revelations came from Helen Radkey, a former Mormon who independently researches Mormon genealogy. Radkey is perhaps best known for discovering in 2009 that President Obama's mother, Stanley Ann Dunham, had been baptized after her death.

The church acknowledged that individual Mormons had been baptized on behalf of Wiesenthal's parents and that other members were apparently preparing to do so for Wiesel's three relatives.

"We sincerely regret that the actions of an individual member of the church" led to the baptism of Wiesenthal's parents, Mormon Church spokesman Matthew Purdy said. ""We consider this a serious breach of our protocol and we have suspended indefinitely this person's ability to access our genealogy records."

In the case of Wiesel's family, the process was apparently halted in its early stages.

The church did not identify the members responsible in either case.

Wiesenthal's mother, Rosa, died in 1942 in the Belzek extermination camp. His father, Asher, had died earlier, in combat in World War I. Simon Wiesenthal died in 2005.

"If Simon were alive today, it's hard to really describe what his reaction would be," said Rabbi Abraham Cooper, associate dean of the Simon Wiesenthal Center in Los Angeles.

Cooper described the Mormon practice of posthumous baptism as a "beautiful gesture," when done within Mormon families, but said it was inappropriate and offensive to baptize the Jewish dead, especially those who died in the Holocaust.

"Their physical lives were taken, their communities were destroyed and now somebody is coming along, however well-intentioned, and is suggesting that they're going to rebrand their souls," he said. "It just doesn't compute."

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Re: Mormon Church apologizes for posthumous baptisms
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 07:03:15 PM »
Even in the world of religion and fairy tales this is sounding bizarre!  The person is dead and gone, yet you "baptize" them by proxy so they can connect with church members in the afterlife?  I would really like to find a human being who believes in this!  :o

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 09:52:24 PM »
I think this is so interesting, I mean they actually must go through a lot of trouble on the records end, doing all this research and baptizing all these people.  They must completely believe in what they're doing.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 09:32:40 AM »
I appreciate the value of psycho-spiritual beliefs and the comfort they can bring, but this strikes me as utterly absurd!  It reminds of me the 19th century practice of whites trying to restrict certain cemeteries as “for white people only” as if one could project segregationist attitudes into the afterlife.  That may sound silly to us today, but "intelligent" people in early America believed and routinely argued that heaven was only for white people.  Non-whites went "somewhere else."

It is safe to say that none of us knows what comes next, but I don’t think a diety—of whatever kind—is going to be influenced by retroactive baptism-by-proxy of people who died years or decades ago.  ::)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 04:50:08 PM »
Mormon Church posthumously baptized slain journalist Daniel Pearl
By Ricardo Lopez

In yet another public relations embarrassment for the Mormon Church, a Utah researcher has discovered that slain Jewish journalist Daniel Pearl was posthumously baptized last year in a serious breach of church protocol.

According to records, Pearl, who is Jewish, was baptized "by proxy" last summer in a Twin Falls, Idaho, temple -- much to the surprise of his parents, who learned of the event this week.

Reached by phone, Pearl's mother, Ruth, said she and her husband were dismayed when informed of the ceremony by a reporter from the Boston Globe, which first reported the news.

"We realize that the Mormon ministers who baptized our son posthumously meant to offer him salvation in the most honorable way they know how," she said in statement. "To them we say: We appreciate your good intentions but rest assured that Danny's soul was redeemed through the life that he lived and the values that he upheld.  He lived as a proud Jew, died as a proud Jew and is currently facing his creator as a Jew -- blessed, accepted and redeemed."

Pearl, who was raised in Los Angeles, was working as a Wall Street Journal reporter when he was kidnapped and killed by terrorists in Pakistan in 2002.

In a video that his captors forced him to record shortly before his execution, he professed his faith, saying: "My father's Jewish. My mother's Jewish. I'm Jewish."

His parents later released a book titled "I Am Jewish," which contains a collection of essays by Pearl.

Posthumous baptisms are common in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, generally referred to as the Mormon Church. The purpose of the sacrament is to ensure that ancestors can join church members in the afterlife.

Individual Mormons submit to the church the names of persons they wish to have baptized. Then a baptism is performed "by proxy," meaning another person stands in for the dead.

The practice has long stirred controversy, leading to a 1995 agreement between Jewish faith leaders and the Mormon Church that was supposed to prevent the baptisms of Holocaust victims.

Church rules stipulate that only direct descendants of the dead can submit their names for the sacrament.

But incidents have cropped up over the years.

In 2009, the church acknowledged that it had baptized President Obama's mother, Stanley Ann Dunham, after her death. And just this month, officials were forced to apologize after they learned that the parents of the late Nazi hunter Simon Wiesenthal had been posthumously baptized. They also admitted that three dead relatives of Holocaust survivor Elie Wiesel were almost baptized, as well.

Messages left with a church spokesman were not immediately returned.

In an earlier statement, the Mormon Church said the incidents involving Holocaust victims were serious breaches of protocol by overzealous members of the church.

"It takes a good deal of deception and manipulation to get an improper submission through the safeguards we have put in place," a spokesman wrote in a statement. "It is distressing when an individual willfully violates the church’s policy and something that should be understood to be an offering based on love and respect becomes a source of contention."

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 09:16:43 PM »
There is nothing that can be said of this other than: rotflmao!