Author Topic: Roger Gracie signs with UFC - Denied by Zuffa  (Read 2550 times)

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
Roger Gracie signs with UFC - Denied by Zuffa
« on: February 15, 2012, 04:38:46 PM »
Since its a little quiet on the discussion front i thought i might as well pot this. Super super talented BJJ practitioner, a true submission phenom who could very well be the best in the world at what he does and one of my favourite fighters. He lost by KO to Lawal in his last fight but i dont think he should ashamed of it nor be judged on it, lets see what he can do to redeem himself in the big league.

He has the height advantage over Jones - just - and whilst his reach isnt as long he has a much longer reach than anyone Jones has faced. Also i dont see Jones being able to rag doll him and control him on the ground, no way. His strength and advantage will be the stand up, on the ground even he wont be a dominant force.

Just got get a title fight first.............

Update

Should have checked this thoroughly before i went to bed. Looks like it was just a rumour that had supposedly been confirmed by unknown sources. Dana insists he's still going to fight for Strikeforce which is a damn shame, though i guess SF needs some marquee names to stick on the few shows they have left before the fighters eventually do come across following the acquisition.

Anyway you look at it, loss or not, the UFC needs someone of his calibre within their ranks. The clock is ticking...........

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
Re: Roger Gracie signs with UFC - Denied by Zuffa
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 06:32:37 PM »
If he couldn't get by Lawal, there is no reason to think that Jones wouldn't rape him as well.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 06:48:28 PM »
Lawal's a very good wrestler, well rounded but i cant help but think Roger was bordering on arrogant in their fight. For some odd reason he thought he could actually stand and trade with Mo instead of looking to take him down and work him from there, always going to be a big mistake and was only ever gong to end like that.

Hopefully he now knows he's not unbeatable and will look to play to his strengths in future bouts, and when it comes to ground work there really is nobody better.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 03:48:54 PM »
Since its a little quiet on the discussion front i thought i might as well pot this. Super super talented BJJ practitioner, a true submission phenom who could very well be the best in the world at what he does and one of my favourite fighters. He lost by KO to Lawal in his last fight but i dont think he should ashamed of it nor be judged on it, lets see what he can do to redeem himself in the big league.

He has the height advantage over Jones - just - and whilst his reach isnt as long he has a much longer reach than anyone Jones has faced. Also i dont see Jones being able to rag doll him and control him on the ground, no way. His strength and advantage will be the stand up, on the ground even he wont be a dominant force.

Just got get a title fight first.............

Update

Should have checked this thoroughly before i went to bed. Looks like it was just a rumour that had supposedly been confirmed by unknown sources. Dana insists he's still going to fight for Strikeforce which is a damn shame, though i guess SF needs some marquee names to stick on the few shows they have left before the fighters eventually do come across following the acquisition.

Anyway you look at it, loss or not, the UFC needs someone of his calibre within their ranks. The clock is ticking...........

The UFC needs lower level orgs to select the fighters who are good enough to join the UFC - those who win championship belts at the lower orgs. The UFC cannot get all of it's new fighters from TUF or just pick random guys at gym and give them a contract to see if they are good enough.

The UFC becoming a monopoly creates the serious problem of finding fighters who are good enough to join the UFC. The UFC has the best fighters because they are pre-selected from the best from smaller orgs. Now we will see a bunch of bums and cans at the lower tier of the UFC roster because the UFC will have to do the job of selecting good fighters all by itself now that all the lower orgs are not around anymore to do this for them.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 07:07:39 AM »
Lawal's a very good wrestler, well rounded but i cant help but think Roger was bordering on arrogant in their fight. For some odd reason he thought he could actually stand and trade with Mo instead of looking to take him down and work him from there, always going to be a big mistake and was only ever gong to end like that.

Hopefully he now knows he's not unbeatable and will look to play to his strengths in future bouts, and when it comes to ground work there really is nobody better.

true bro, ive seen it alot over the years. really good or even great jitz guys train stand up for 6 months or so and think they can stand and trade with dudes who got really good stand up. alot of times though ive seen situations like chuck vs tito both 1 and 2 where tito said he wanted to stand with chuck when in reality he had no choice cause he couldnt take chuck down. when they trained together chuck would sprawl and brawl on tito pretty much everytime tito shot for a double or whatever, thats why wrestling is such a great base for mma cause most of the time you can dictate where the fights gonna take place. roger is awesome when he gets it to the ground though, id like to see him and marcelo garcia go at it again on the mats.
R

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 11:22:43 AM »
roger is awesome when he gets it to the ground though, id like to see him and marcelo garcia go at it again on the mats.

That would be outstanding, however in this example i have to say that Roger is infact too big for him. The size isnt what makes this one sided however, its coupling it with Rogers ability which is damn near unmatched in any weight class.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 11:46:31 AM »
Well theres the rematch out the window, Lawal has been fired for comments on twitter aimed at a member of the NSAC

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 07:00:01 AM »
That would be outstanding, however in this example i have to say that Roger is infact too big for him. The size isnt what makes this one sided however, its coupling it with Rogers ability which is damn near unmatched in any weight class.

did you check out the vid of eddie bravo rolling with marcelo at marcelos academy in new york? you can see it on 10th planet jj website. marcelo was getting the better of eddie. no disrespect to bravo and the 10th planet system as i think its great, i trained with those guys for 6 months or so and i learned afew good techniques. one thing i noticed though is that alot of the 10th planet moves like the twister( which is a old wrestling move) and even rubber guard seems to work better for the guys that weigh in the 140 to 185 lb weight classes. the bigger dudes in class over 200 and up didnt seem to be as fluid,eddie would have prolly done better but he was gassed in the first 5 minutes of him and marcelo rollin. that good herb eddies smokin might be catchin up with him ;D
R