Author Topic: Getbig guitar players....your favourite guitar(s)...  (Read 5381 times)

MikMaq

Re: Getbig guitar players....your favourite guitar(s)...
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2012, 05:55:59 AM »
I also have a homemade fretless, an electric, an acoustic ovation clone as well.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2012, 06:04:38 AM »
I've got both and prefer tube sounds. Solid state is a bit more responsive imo but I still go back to my tube amps for the sound. May send my 5150 ii head in to Voodoo Mods. Still hemin and hawin over that though.

Should add that this was my main guitar till I picked up the Les Paul.

http://bit.ly/y98pdm

I'm the first vid result.

That "tube sound" is noise and distortion!

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2012, 06:10:35 AM »
I have 3 Basses, and 3 guitars.

Basses = Fender Precision (like Geddy Lee), Ibanez, and a 6-string Rogue.

Guitars = Ibanez acoustic, Ibanez electric and my fave, a Strat...

Google "Terrahsphere", my old metal band back in the late 90's. (We got signed and did one CD, then broke up  :>)

Some pics...

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2012, 06:14:30 AM »
That "tube sound" is noise and distortion!

Different sounds my friend. I play on both depending on how I feel. Basically it boils down to personal preference.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2012, 06:40:57 AM »
Fender. Love the stat. The mustang is the beautiful electric guitar ever made.
A

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2012, 06:45:12 AM »
i play a musicman bass, standard black, for most gigging situations.  i have some cool ibanez' that play like a dream, a fender you can count on, but NOTHING touches the musicman for solid pro tone.

now for guitar, i just picked up a parker fly mojo.  amazing guitar.   price tag was high, but it's dual electric and acoustic outputs.  I can go from solo acousitc shows with perfect tone (on a fast 24 fret neck) to throwing down RATM on bigger stages with full bands.  never goes out of tune, composite, great pickups, etc.  It's 3300, but the only guitar you need.

For home playing, anything works.  For gigging, the musicman and parker are the workhorses!

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2012, 07:14:18 AM »
To answer the questions:

Yes, I like the Line 6 for various reasons, but I also have a room full of rack-mount and floor effects. The Line 6 allows me to quickly write rhythm tracks, drum tracks and guitar tracks. I can also quickly overlay tracks. The amp has a decent sound. Anytime I demo one in Guitar Center, someone is gonna buy one. THey can sound that good.

The Frenzel tube amp was hand-made for me to my specs. It actually has two channels: A Fender and a Marshall setting. That amp is for clubbing and playing LOUD. Once the tubes warm up, I can use a Variac type control to get a very unique sound that SS cannot.

"Point to Point" wiring ~ nothing like SS circuitry:

I love the Paul too, it has a tone that can't be duplicated...

smoothasf

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2012, 07:37:19 AM »
Marshall avt 150? I have the 275

UGMT

• Getbig II
  • Fortune favors the bold...
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2012, 08:02:47 AM »
I mainly play my classical Yamaha. It's a CG something or other; wasn't too pricey at all. Really a quality instrument especially for the money. I have a Music Man Axis also although I rarely play electric. That too is a fantastic instrument. If I could have any electric would probably be an old Gretsch Country Gentleman..

phil mcgroin

• Getbig III
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2012, 08:30:35 AM »
I have a 1976 les paul deluxe natural in mint condition for sale

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2012, 08:44:10 AM »
I also have a homemade fretless, an electric, an acoustic ovation clone as well.
Warmoth?
A

PJim

• Getbig IV
  • Strike another match, go start anew
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2012, 09:09:36 AM »
Here's my baby a negra flamenco model. (Solid Indian Rosewood back and sides with a Solid German Spruce top)

Nirvana

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2012, 09:14:24 AM »
I have a plethora of guitars and effects and own nearly every amp in production.  I know all the trivial facts about guitars and have memorized every scale and mode.  I can talk for hours about how I know the different guitar brands and their sounds.  I pretend that i can hear the difference between string brands and I labor under the illusion that Gibsons are better than Epiphones.  I am a theoretical guitar god.

and all my music sounds like fuckin' shit

V Man

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2012, 09:31:22 AM »
My babies  :)

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2012, 11:13:54 AM »
I have a plethora of guitars and effects and own nearly every amp in production.  I know all the trivial facts about guitars and have memorized every scale and mode.  I can talk for hours about how I know the different guitar brands and their sounds.  I pretend that i can hear the difference between string brands and I labor under the illusion that Gibsons are better than Epiphones.  I am a theoretical guitar god.

and the illusion that Fenders are better than Squiers?

I want to know about the whole tone scale and how it intertwines perfectly with the fifth mode of the harmonic minor scale (and why) ~ please also tell me the name of each mode in the harmonic minor scale.

TIA  :-*

smoothasf

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2012, 11:47:35 AM »
Ive got a squire and though its a great guitar there is no comparison to the usa strat.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2012, 11:48:52 AM »

I want to know about the whole tone scale and how it intertwines perfectly with the fifth mode of the harmonic minor scale (and why) ~ please also tell me the name of each mode in the harmonic minor scale.

TIA  :-*

They Are.

Cheaper wood = crappy tone
cheaper electronics
The guitar will not last as long as a fender.
A

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2012, 11:58:17 AM »
The guitar of my hero, Jeff Waters of Annihilator: the Epiphone Annihilation. Red.

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2012, 03:15:15 PM »
The guitar of my hero, Jeff Waters of Annihilator: the Epiphone Annihilation. Red.

Waters is one of my fav metal guitarists. Alice in Hell is a definite classic.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2012, 06:31:20 PM »
Why did you option for unbalanced ins and outs instead of balanced with XLR connections?  Balanced are better for keeping out hum.

Nirvana

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2012, 07:17:41 PM »

TIA  :-*
I just got through making fun of shit like this.  did you not understand?

let's use an example or 3, Kurdt Kobain, Eddie Van Halen, and Angus Young could have never answered the question you asked.  yet they will always be very important musical people.  Proving theory, equipment, and trivial knowledge useless.

Nirvana

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2012, 07:25:57 PM »
when are you fellers gonna learn that buying a different guitar or set of strings or learning theory will not give you the gift of music.  If it did the person with the nicest equipment would be who everyone listened to.  Instead we all listen to EVH with his shitty charvel reject body and mix and match guitar.  Stop learning theory and learn reality.

and no Im not rich or famous but that doesn't matter, Justin Biever is rich and famous and we all know how skilled he is.  Hell, Nickelback is rich and famous and they don't even write their own music from what I hear.

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2012, 07:30:56 PM »

let's use an example or 3, Kurdt Kobain, Eddie Van Halen, and Angus Young could have never answered the question you asked.  yet they will always be very important musical people.  Proving theory, equipment, and trivial knowledge useless.

I don't think it is useless.  Many players learn by trial and error which in turn winds up as theory.  They kind of do it backwards. I agree though....if it sounds good then that's all that matters.

Nirvana

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2012, 07:38:23 PM »
I don't think it is useless.  Many players learn by trial and error which in turn winds up as theory.  They kind of do it backwards. I agree though....if it sounds good then that's all that matters.
yes learning theory will never hurt, it's always good to learn theory. but when it comes to the arts a degree is just a piece of paper that cost too much. and theory is just that, a theory.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2012, 08:14:34 PM »

I was joking too, Beavis.

I actually know the answers to the question(s) ~ as do many others, including Yngwie.

Peace.

As far as the hum with my Frenzel, I'm not sure if you know what you are talking about (other guy) ~ do you know everything there is to know about point-to-point? Did you see everything on that amp? Can you explain to me the cathode?

There was no hum, whatsoever, at any volume. You should be commenting on the types of tubes I plugged into it.

BTW, I am more of a solid state guy. This handmade Frenzel was an opportunity that I could not pass up. It would have been foolish.

Also (other guy) ~ :) you shouldn't comment about Strats if you don't know what you are talking about. Cheaper wood? Who cares? Do you know what JEMs are made of?

My Squiers will out-perform (with me playing of course) any Strat, or other guitar for that matter - the only bitch I could possibly have is within the machine heads, but I don't like Strat machines either. I would go to another company and flip them even if I had to, but I have learned over the years how to make things work to my advantage.

Put up.

I know I have. Many times.

As far as learning theory (even another guy) ~ you may think it not important, but when you do learn it, inside and out, not only can you play ANYTHING, you can also identify anything you hear musically.

Some players brag about being self-taught, and they always hit the wrong notes. "Theory" in this sense is not theory as far as what you might think. It is a universally accepted science when it comes to music. It is objective, in the true sense of the word.

Guitarists and musicians cannot associate very long with other musicians who do not know their theory, otherwise, collaborating would become nothing more than a glorified classroom setting.

Learning theory in music allows you to travel as the crow flies when it comes to playing, learning and developing musical composition. It allows you to compose without having any musical instruments in your hands. The only real problem is when theory overrides your style. The numbers become too mathematical, and the playing can easily become stale.

If you learn music theory, you will not spend much time listening to musicians who don't.

Wanna talk about the "Devils Tritone?" ~ it's not "theory" but it is interesting. Flatted fifths turned to tonics became evil many moons ago, yet in passing they are considered 'bluesy...'

The gift of music? The ear. You either have it or you don't. You might develop it over time, but perfect pitch is a gift that only a rare few have.

Rock on.