Author Topic: Dorian Yates vs. Ronnie Coleman - who was better?  (Read 20832 times)

SomeKindofMonster

• Getbig III
  • RC is SomeKindOfMonster
Re: Dorian Yates vs. Ronnie Coleman - who was better?
« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2014, 07:38:44 PM »
I hate to keep hearing Yates was drier than everyone.
Was he drier than Paul Dillett when he froze up at the
1994 ASC he was so dry.
Did that give Paul that granite look that no one else seemed to have.
Dorian had genetically very, very thin skin that gave him that look.
Unfortunately, except for his back he wasn't gifted with a lot of separation/striations
except for his back.
Ronnie had extremely thin skin waist down from the back but no amount of water loss
or fat loss was going to make his back as detailed as Dorian's.
Darker skinned individuals in general have thicker skin but better shape and the lighter
skinned guys tend to have the thinner skin, grainier look.
There are exceptions but in general this is the way it is.
Fortunately for Ronnie he had pretty thin skin everywhere, although it seemed to be
thickest in his back. His mounds of back muscles plus excellent shape made his back
the best overall or 2nd best according to who you ask.
Yates had a bit bigger bone structure but Ronnie compensated for this with rounder,
more bulbous-but extremely striated muscle.
Ronnie had relatively weak delts until 98 and even then they were still a bit flatish according
to Peter McGough's Olympia report that year. He finally balanced out his delts with the rest of his
upper body in 1999.
Coleman had several great years and I happened to come across this a few weeks ago
and posted on another forum. Very impressive to say the least.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #76 on: April 10, 2014, 07:58:14 PM »
I hate to keep hearing Yates was drier than everyone.
Was he drier than Paul Dillett when he froze up at the
1994 ASC he was so dry.
Did that give Paul that granite look that no one else seemed to have.
Dorian had genetically very, very thin skin that gave him that look.
Unfortunately, except for his back he wasn't gifted with a lot of separation/striations
except for his back.
Ronnie had extremely thin skin waist down from the back but no amount of water loss
or fat loss was going to make his back as detailed as Dorian's.
Darker skinned individuals in general have thicker skin but better shape and the lighter
skinned guys tend to have the thinner skin, grainier look.
There are exceptions but in general this is the way it is.
Fortunately for Ronnie he had pretty thin skin everywhere, although it seemed to be
thickest in his back. His mounds of back muscles plus excellent shape made his back
the best overall or 2nd best according to who you ask.
Yates had a bit bigger bone structure but Ronnie compensated for this with rounder,
more bulbous-but extremely striated muscle.
Ronnie had relatively weak delts until 98 and even then they were still a bit flatish according
to Peter McGough's Olympia report that year. He finally balanced out his delts with the rest of his
upper body in 1999.
Coleman had several great years and I happened to come across this a few weeks ago
and posted on another forum. Very impressive to say the least.

somewhat agree on the thin skin thing... but there was more to it than just that. His musculature had that rock hard, layered on concrete look without a hint of water or fat anywhere. Even at ronnies dryest, even with his thinnest skin, you could detect a marshmellowy quality to his musculature that you just didnt see on Dorian.

Iceman1981

• Getbig V
  • www.LegendsOfBodybuilding.com
« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2014, 09:44:01 PM »
somewhat agree on the thin skin thing... but there was more to it than just that. His musculature had that rock hard, layered on concrete look without a hint of water or fat anywhere. Even at ronnies dryest, even with his thinnest skin, you could detect a marshmellowy quality to his musculature that you just didnt see on Dorian.

You could say the same for Dorian as well. In some poses Dorian doesn't have that grainy rock hard look and actually doesn't look dry to the bone in poses such as FDB, FLS & SC. The rest of the poses his conditioning looked great. The only poses where Ronnie wasn't shredded were the ST & AB&T. Every other pose Ronnie was dry, separated and striated top to bottom.

Here are comparisons of the three poses I mentioned above that Dorian's great conditioning doesn't seem to be showing for some reason.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2014, 09:50:19 PM »
You could say the same for Dorian as well. In some poses Dorian doesn't have that grainy rock hard look and actually doesn't look dry to the bone in poses such as FDB, FLS & SC. The rest of the poses his conditioning looked great. The only poses where Ronnie wasn't shredded were the ST & AB&T. Every other pose Ronnie was dry, separated and striated top to bottom.

Here are comparisons of the three poses I mentioned above that Dorian's great conditioning doesn't seem to be showing for some reason.
I agree with you in these pics. For some reason his musculature quality didnt translate fo pics well.

the vids from 93, 95 (horrible lighting though) and 96 GGP are incredible.

Nothing I ever saw coleman in left an impression on me like the 96 grand prix video.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #79 on: April 11, 2014, 01:56:05 AM »

damn, RC demolishing tinfoil hat  :D