Author Topic: California counties get federally-funded teen mail-order condom program  (Read 1350 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Taxpayer funded condoms for 7th graders?  Seriously?   ::)

California counties get federally-funded teen mail-order condom program
Published February 19, 2012
Associated Press

BAKERSFIELD, Calif. –  Teenagers in several counties can get condoms in the mail for free under a program launched this week and supported by state public health officials.

The Condom Access Project allows youth between the ages of 12 and 19 to order a package of 10 condoms, lube and health brochures online at TeenSource.org, a website run by the nonprofit California Family Health Council. The package will be mailed to them in a nondescript yellow envelope.

Supporters say the program -- aimed at reducing pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases among teens -- will benefit young people who cannot afford to buy condoms or are too embarrassed to go to clinics where they are distributed for free.

"We can't keep our heads in the sand and pretend there isn't a problem...," Vice President of Public Affairs for the Family Health Council Amy Moy told the Bakersfield Californian. "We want to make sure (teens are) as safe as possible."

Teens and young adults have the highest rates of gonorrhea and chlamydia of all age groups in California, according to health officials. In Kern County, one of the counties where the new program is available, teenage birth rates are among the highest in the state.

But critics say the program could be perceived as tacit approval of teenage sex and may not go over well with parents.

"I would think the overwhelming majority of parents in Kern County wouldn't think this is a good idea," said Linda Davis, executive director of the Bakersfield Pregnancy Center, which emphasizes abstinence. "And I don't think their kids would have the nerve to request them."

The California Family Health Council countered by citing studies it says have shown that access to birth control does not encourage teenagers to have sex.

The condom program is supported by the California Department of Public Health's STD Control Branch and will be paid for with federal funds.

It is also available in Alameda, Sacramento and San Joaquin counties and parts of San Francisco.

Teens will be limited to one package of condoms per month.

"It'd be best if teens didn't have sex, but if they're going to do it anyway, they need to protect themselves," said Denis Smith, director of disease control for the Kern County Department of Public Health, which is not involved with the project. "As a public health department, we have an obligation to provide education and tools."

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/02/19/california-counties-get-federally-funded-mail-order-condom-program/

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Re: California counties get federally-funded teen mail-order condom program
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 12:33:29 PM »

"We can't keep our heads in the sand and pretend there isn't a problem...," Vice President of Public Affairs for the Family Health Council Amy Moy told the Bakersfield Californian. "We want to make sure (teens are) as safe as possible."

if we can spend federal dollars are worthless abstinence only programs why not also spend a few buck on condoms

you'd think fundies would be in favor of contraception since they are so against abortion

contraception prevents unwanted pregnancies and therefore prevents abortions

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 12:38:03 PM »
if we can spend federal dollars are worthless abstinence only programs why not also spend a few buck on condoms

you'd think fundies would be in favor of contraception since they are so against abortion

contraception prevents unwanted pregnancies and therefore prevents abortions
whos not in favor of contraception you ignorant moron?

its the tax payer funded part that is the issue...

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 12:44:14 PM »
It's not like California is billions in debt and losing the people they want to tax to pay it off. What's another million here and there?  ::)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 12:53:01 PM »
It's not like California is billions in debt and losing the people they want to tax to pay it off. What's another million here and there?  ::)

Freaking gorgeous day here in downtown Los Gatos

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 12:58:52 PM »

There are plenty of places on this planet where one can get a "freaking gorgeous day" without having to live in a failed state like California.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 01:22:20 PM »

I'm sure it's freaking gorgeous in Fresno too.   

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 01:52:42 PM »

Los Gatos is a cool place and spring time in California is awesome.  However Fresno is a bit of a dusty armpit. 

Bet if you were up at the lick observatory on mt Hamilton you could see the sierras.  I could see them from Vacaville today. 

Unfortunately the people in the north, in places like Conn. are likely in snow and ice today.  Hehehehe

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 01:58:01 PM »
Beach,

Interested in discussing the thinking here.  Condoms for 7th graders: bad idea all together and or bad idea it gets funded?

Personally, I havent decided how I feel about it yet.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 02:13:07 PM »
There are plenty of places on this planet where one can get a "freaking gorgeous day" without having to live in a failed state like California.

you seem like the kind of guy who will always find something to piss and moan about

Successful people focus on the positive and take action and enjoy life

you should try it sometime

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 09:52:50 PM »
Beach,

Interested in discussing the thinking here.  Condoms for 7th graders: bad idea all together and or bad idea it gets funded?

Personally, I havent decided how I feel about it yet.

Ozmo I think it's a bad idea to use taxpayer money.  We've both had 7th graders, so I'm sure you agree a 7th grader isn't ready for sex.  They're not read to be a parent.  They don't appreciate the potential consequences.  They can't even legally consent to sex.  And this can be done without the parents knowledge and consent?  Given that, why would the government fund something like this?  It's just crazy.  Horrible policy IMO.

Whether parents want to give their little kids condemns is their choice, but the government should not be forcing taxpayers to pay for something that doesn't even pass the common sense test.  

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 07:13:29 AM »
I agree with a lot of what you are saying.  However the counter argument is that many 7 th graders are having sex with out their parents consent and will comtinue to do so regardless promoting the chances of STD's and unwanted pregnancies.  Classes a education do not work or stop it. 

Should nothing be done?  or what should be done instead?

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 07:34:03 AM »
you seem like the kind of guy who will always find something to piss and moan about

Successful people focus on the positive and take action and enjoy life

you should try it sometime

I'm sorry that what was once the fifth largest economy on the planet is now bankrupt, trillions in debt and losing more of the taxpayers you hope to bleed every month.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 08:07:31 AM »
I'm sorry that what was once the fifth largest economy on the planet is now bankrupt, trillions in debt and losing more of the taxpayers you hope to bleed every month.

why are you sorry

the problems in CA are not unique and will get worked out

in the meantime it's still a fantastic place to live

if you can afford a plane ticket you should come check it out for yourself

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 08:13:22 AM »
One of the very few places in the world you can go skiing and surfing in the same day.   ;D

And there are places like Iowa with a balanced budget.  Oh how exciting,cruising Des Moines hanging with all the Pig farmers.  bliss!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 08:37:58 AM »
why are you sorry

the problems in CA are not unique and will get worked out

in the meantime it's still a fantastic place to live

if you can afford a plane ticket you should come check it out for yourself

We've been hearing that for years and yet it keeps getting worse.

I've been to California. Beautiful state populated by morons.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 09:54:55 AM »
We've been hearing that for years and yet it keeps getting worse.

I've been to California. Beautiful state populated by morons.

yeah populated by all those morons at Google, Facebook, Twitter and let's not forget all the morons at Stanford and Berkeley or those morons with offices on Sand Hill Road, etc....

CA has the same problems that almost every other state has and since it's larger than most countries it's not suprising that a global economic downturn would effect us more than some other states

btw - CA gives more $$$'s to the federal governent then we get back in return

The real welfare queens are the red states

Since we know you're a person who likes to bitch and moan and complain about things here is a good place for you to start:

http://www.taxfoundation.org/research/show/266.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/welfare-queen-states/2011/05/17/AFzTK45G_story.html?hpid=z4
Happily, the Tax Foundation — a conservative Washington-based think tank — has, however unintentionally, provided the answer. In 2007, the foundation published a survey of 2005 federal spending in each state and compared that with each state’s contribution in federal taxes. In other words, the foundation identified the states that sponge off the federal government and those that subsidize it. The welfare-queen states and the responsible, producing states, as it were.

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 10:11:02 AM »
Why are you crying about redistributing wealth? Isn't that your entire modus operandi?

Your state has consistently ranked in the top three worst run states in the country. The only states you really have anything in common with are other insolvent leftist shitholes like Illinois.

Does the truth hurt? California hinges its entire financial fortunes on a few hundred taxpayers, the number of which has significantly decreased since the recession started. And let's not forget all the businesses fleeing for better-run states like Texas.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2012, 10:14:35 AM »
Why are you crying about redistributing wealth? Isn't that your entire modus operandi?

Your state has consistently ranked in the top three worst run states in the country. The only states you really have anything in common with are other insolvent leftist shitholes like Illinois.

Does the truth hurt? California hinges its entire financial fortunes on a few hundred taxpayers, the number of which has significantly decreased since the recession started. And let's not forget all the businesses fleeing for better-run states like Texas.

nothing you say hurts

I live in an awesome place, make a great living and enjoy my life

you spend your life pissing and moaning on an obscure message board

I doubt either of those things will change in the next 5 years or 50 years

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2012, 10:17:13 AM »
nothing you say hurts

I live in an awesome place, make a great living and enjoy my life

you spend your life pissing and moaning on an obscure message board

I doubt either of those things will change in the next 5 years or 50 years

Coming from one of 333's personal nut-hugging brigade, I can't help but laugh at you claiming to enjoy life. Far-leftists like yourself consistently poll as some of the unhappiest and most miserable people in this country.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2012, 10:22:54 AM »
Coming from one of 333's personal nut-hugging brigade, I can't help but laugh at you claiming to enjoy life. Far-leftists like yourself consistently poll as some of the unhappiest and most miserable people in this country.

333 is my punching bag and you're my piñata

you're the only 333 guy on this board

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2012, 01:36:50 PM »
I agree with a lot of what you are saying.  However the counter argument is that many 7 th graders are having sex with out their parents consent and will comtinue to do so regardless promoting the chances of STD's and unwanted pregnancies.  Classes a education do not work or stop it. 

Should nothing be done?  or what should be done instead?

I wouldn't say do nothing.  Parents need to do their job and government needs to promote the only thing that makes sense (i.e., little kids should not be having sex).  We shouldn't use taxpayer money to promote bad ideas just because some people will make poor parenting choices or some kids will engage in irresponsible behavior. 

Think about this:  government has determined a kid must be 16 to consent to sex, but the same government will use taxpayer money to allow a 12 year old kid to buy condoms for sex.  That's nuts.   

And I don't think kids will consistently use condoms anyway.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2012, 01:44:16 PM »
I wouldn't say do nothing.  Parents need to do their job and government needs to promote the only thing that makes sense (i.e., little kids should not be having sex).  We shouldn't use taxpayer money to promote bad ideas just because some people will make poor parenting choices or some kids will engage in irresponsible behavior. 

Think about this:  government has determined a kid must be 16 to consent to sex, but the same government will use taxpayer money to allow a 12 year old kid to buy condoms for sex.  That's nuts.   

And I don't think kids will consistently use condoms anyway.

I know it doesn't make sense but it is reality.  Kids under 16 are having sex in spite of parents, the church, and the government encouraging them not to.  They are and will still be having sex.  Would you rather MORE have sex unprotected because condoms aren't accessible or would you rather them have MORE protected sex because they have free access to condoms?

I know you would rather they don't have sex at all.  But that's not realistic in terms of the entire population.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2012, 02:02:01 PM »
I know it doesn't make sense but it is reality.  Kids under 16 are having sex in spite of parents, the church, and the government encouraging them not to.  They are and will still be having sex.  Would you rather MORE have sex unprotected because condoms aren't accessible or would you rather them have MORE protected sex because they have free access to condoms?

I know you would rather they don't have sex at all.  But that's not realistic in terms of the entire population.

I agree kids as young as 12 are having sex and will continue to do so regardless of training, policy, etc.  In a perfect world, they would all keep their pants up till they found their life mate, or if they chose to have sex would take every possible precaution to protect themselves from pregnancy and disease.  But that's not the world we live in.  

I don't think it's realistic to expect a 12 year old to be anything but emboldened to have sex if we provide taxpayer funded condoms.  It's a total mixed message.  Can you think of any other activity where tell we tell a kid that certain conduct is wrong, then give them the tools to engage in that very same activity?    

It's also unrealistic to think a 12 year old boy (or any teenager for that matter) will consistently use condoms.  They might the first time, or a few times, but encounter number 15, 20, 25?  No way.