Author Topic: Anyone train without a set routine?  (Read 9849 times)

First Blood

• Getbig III
Anyone train without a set routine?
« on: February 21, 2012, 05:27:23 PM »
Does anyone on here have any experience with training without a set routine? And if so what results did you get?

I mean you have some kind of structure but you don't necessarily follow the usual 7 day cycle? Sometimes you train 3 days per week, next week maybe 5 etc depending on how you feel day to day etc.

gym**rat

• Getbig V
Re: Anyone train without a set routine?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 05:31:39 PM »
All I have planned when I go into the gym is what body part(s) I am going to do. I then do what strikes me at that time. Works for me.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 05:32:11 PM »
All I have planned when I go into the gym is what body part(s) I am going to do. I then do what strikes me at that time. Works for me.
X2

dfresh

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 05:34:31 PM »
used to train this way, keeps things fresh. one draw back is its harder to track progress this way imo

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 05:34:58 PM »
used to train this way, keeps things fresh. one draw back is its harder to track progress this way imo
MIRROR.

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 05:35:23 PM »
yeah, im on more of a time limit, depending on what else is going on that evening. Usually 50 minutes to an hour......try to get in what ever i can in that timeframe,

dfresh

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 05:36:17 PM »

First Blood

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 05:36:29 PM »

Sorry to be a pain in the ass but when you say 'works for me' what kind of gains have you made in terms of numbers (lean mass and strength)?

I think this is a really interesting subject as so many people seem to use a 7-day cycle. But what if you used a 9-10-11 (or whatever) day cycle and made sure to train everytning twice during that time period. Maybe that would fit certain peoples recovery pattern better.

First Blood

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 05:38:21 PM »

But what if you keep a few key lifts that you always do for certain bodyparts. So there would still be some kind of structure.

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.

dfresh

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 05:51:33 PM »
But what if you keep a few key lifts that you always do for certain bodyparts. So there would still be some kind of structure.

yea just keep compounds, and switch out an iso here and there. this could work i guess

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 06:07:18 PM »
lol strength wise
If weights keep going up= you`re getting stronger

If they go down = you`re losing strength

Hope this helps!  ;D

Just kidding bud,but I never had a problem remembering my poundages from past workouts week to week on any exercise.

Besides,heavy is heavy and light is light..........the muscles can`t read numbers on the bar........it`s bodybuiding not powerlifting.

Big N

• Getbig V
  • Veteran Fella
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 06:09:50 PM »

x2
#

Jaime

• Getbig V
  • North Pole, fucking elves left, right and centre.
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 06:11:15 PM »

Same. Don't set count, Don't rep count, no exercise list.
Trans Milkshake.

dustin

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 06:11:32 PM »
I haven't followed a "routine" in years.

el numero uno

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 06:14:40 PM »

x2

First Blood

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2012, 06:15:46 PM »

I know you are a smart guy so I would like to hear if you have any kind of structure to your training. I mean even if you don't have a specific routine maybe you have a few general guidelines at least?

First Blood

• Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012, 06:17:44 PM »
I have found that having no set routine suits me better mentally compared to rigid programming. Although I do need to keep some kind of structure just to make sure there is some balance and so that I can measure progress.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2012, 06:27:18 PM »
Does anyone on here have any experience with training without a set routine? And if so what results did you get?

I mean you have some kind of structure but you don't necessarily follow the usual 7 day cycle? Sometimes you train 3 days per week, next week maybe 5 etc depending on how you feel day to day etc.

Fail to plan, plan to fail. Cliche I know but it's the truth. Everything should be a progression. Going in and randomly doing something is like believing in "muscle confusion".

el numero uno

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2012, 06:30:57 PM »
I have found that having no set routine suits me better mentally compared to rigid programming. Although I do need to keep some kind of structure just to make sure there is some balance and so that I can measure progress.

X2

I don't have a routine but I always do 3-4 sets of 8-11 reps. It's all about how I feel in that moment. Sometimes I go "heavy", sometimes I train "light", sometimes I focus on volume. For me it's all about enjoying the workout.

dustin

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2012, 06:32:06 PM »
I know you are a smart guy so I would like to hear if you have any kind of structure to your training. I mean even if you don't have a specific routine maybe you have a few general guidelines at least?

Lift hard and take a multi, bro. ;D

Nah, seriously I just pyramid up in weight and do around 8-10 reps, sometimes more and sometimes less depending on the bodypart and how it's development is. For lagging parts I'll do a bit of heavy lifting and throw in a few higher intensity sets to get the best of both worlds. I do lifts with some focus on the eccentric phase, static contractions, high reps, low reps... pretty much everything you'd expect from a "bodybuilder".

One thing I believe in quite a bit though is intuition. You can take someone through a workout or give them a cookie cutter routine, but you can't train someone to be intuitive. You HOPEFULLY develop intuition over time but if not, you're pretty much doomed. A lot of people in the gym who look good will have a very strong intuition and will seemingly do all the right things to get where they want. Others like myself had to take some time, but caught on pretty fast too.

I pretty much never discuss training for that matter - it's so up-in-the-air. You can discuss techniques and exercises, and to some degree a bit of a structured routine for certain goals but it's still so tough. Really have to be there in person and training together for it to make much sense. This shit's all drugs anyway so if something's lagging, basically just up the dose LOL

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2012, 06:33:31 PM »
I train  whatever I feel like that day  but I make sure that each muscle group gets trained  once every 7 days

aesthetics

• Getbig IV
  • ~lil' cutey~
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2012, 06:34:01 PM »

yeah me too. there are specific exercises i like the best, for example i prefer barbell rows over dumb bell and also flyes/pecdec over regular bench for pecs, but i really just do "whatever" until failure and i feel my body has been sufficiently destroyed, so to speak

Jaime

• Getbig V
  • North Pole, fucking elves left, right and centre.
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2012, 06:36:38 PM »
I train  whatever I feel like that day  but I make sure that each muscle group gets trained  once every 7 days

Is the frequency just because you are at maintenance stage Che or did you used to train the same bodypart more frequently?
Trans Milkshake.

gym**rat

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2012, 06:42:20 PM »
yeah me too. there are specific exercises i like the best, for example i prefer barbell rows over dumb bell and also flyes/pecdec over regular bench for pecs, but i really just do "whatever" until failure and i feel my body has been sufficiently destroyed, so to speak

Exactly the same way I do it bro. When I started doing that years ago I found myself motivated much more. Instead of those days where you dreaded some certain routines.