Author Topic: IIFYM  (Read 4699 times)

dfresh

• Getbig III
IIFYM
« on: February 22, 2012, 07:47:04 PM »
if it fits your macros, im sure you all have heard of it. what are your thoughts, do you believe it holds true? personally i do, i believe a calorie is a calorie and from an aesthetic standpoint it does not matter how you get xyz amounts of protein, carbs and fat just as long as you get them. this is just my belief though, not saying this is the all mighty, but rather looking to start up a good topic. hey im a newb here, gotta make a good impression right ;)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Re: IIFYM
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 12:54:28 PM »
if it fits your macros, im sure you all have heard of it. what are your thoughts, do you believe it holds true? personally i do, i believe a calorie is a calorie and from an aesthetic standpoint it does not matter how you get xyz amounts of protein, carbs and fat just as long as you get them. this is just my belief though, not saying this is the all mighty, but rather looking to start up a good topic. hey im a newb here, gotta make a good impression right ;)

I have no idea what you're talking about.
:

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 03:33:23 PM »
I have no idea what you're talking about.

what she said  ???

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 03:34:08 PM »

dfresh

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 04:10:28 PM »
surprised you guys haven't heard of this, cmon wheres the vets at ;D. this has the chance to be a very good topic!

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 04:27:12 PM »
surprised you guys haven't heard of this, cmon wheres the vets at ;D. this has the chance to be a very good topic!

meh looks kinda hip-ish to me... if i'm focused on a meal plan i avoid crap at all cost... 500 calories of good food does a lot more for you than 500 calories of crap

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 04:28:40 PM »
Is this anything analogous to the "a calorie is a calorie" debate?

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 06:11:22 PM »

sorta... but they use pseudo science to try to prove nonsense... wait... same thing

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 06:20:48 PM »
sorta... but they use pseudo science to try to prove nonsense... wait... same thing

I see.
Okay, I won't waste a second reading any of that, then.
Thanks!!

dfresh

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 06:53:06 AM »

why yes it is lol

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 03:08:12 PM »
why yes it is lol

Ha-ha...
Well, I admire your enthusiasm to get involved and make an impression, but this debate has made its rounds here countless times over the years.

From my own experience, I know that eating the same quantities of certain foods in place of others has a significant influence on my body habitus.
This is from the standpoint of both building muscle AND losing fat.

dfresh

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 03:30:41 PM »

Ha-ha...
Well, I admire your enthusiasm to get involved and make an impression, but this debate has made its rounds here countless times over the years.

From my own experience, I know that eating the same quantities of certain foods in place of others has a significant influence on my body habitus.
This is from the standpoint of both building muscle AND losing fat.

lol yea i hear ya bro. i guess to each his own sums this one up haha

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 03:54:05 PM »
lol yea i hear ya bro. i guess to each his own sums this one up haha

Individual sensitivity and response to certain foods also plays a part.

For instance, some people can tolerate carbs very well. If you're one of the lucky ones, then I say enjoy them!
I wish I could, but they totally wreck my body composition.

The same can be said for guys with genetics that allow them to train in the gym and eat "horribly" outside of it, but achieve better muscularity than trainers who sweat every morsel that goes in their mouths.

dfresh

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 04:35:33 PM »

Individual sensitivity and response to certain foods also plays a part.

For instance, some people can tolerate carbs very well. If you're one of the lucky ones, then I say enjoy them!
I wish I could, but they totally wreck my body composition.

The same can be said for guys with genetics that allow them to train in the gym and eat "horribly" outside of it, but achieve better muscularity than trainers who sweat every morsel that goes in their mouths.

yea lucky bastards lol

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 07:13:08 PM »
don't get me wrong...  i eat some crap and drink alcohol and count those calories.... but I know that if i didn't there might be some performance gain...

but i like crap once in a while and i'll die if i give up the occasional beer...   ;D

dfresh

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 07:35:02 AM »
on that note a calorie is energy, you cannot change this. as long as you eat more than you need you gain, eat less you lose. this cannot be changed....good discussion here:

http://www.nzbodybuilding.co.nz/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12486

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 11:08:41 AM »
not disagreeing with that but there is more to food than just calories, protein, carbs and fat...

nutrition is much more complex...

for example... 400g of low quality protein is far less valuable than only eating 200g of high quality protein... and this is a simplistic example...

dfresh

• Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 01:04:12 PM »
not disagreeing with that but there is more to food than just calories, protein, carbs and fat...

nutrition is much more complex...

for example... 400g of low quality protein is far less valuable than only eating 200g of high quality protein... and this is a simplistic example...

from a health point there is a difference. im not advocating eating pizza and cake all day, but from an aesthetic standpoint it makes no difference WHAT you eat as long as you are hitting your target macros/calories for your goals ;) there is no changing this. lets say you need 2500 cals to lose weight and in those 2500 cals for the day you ate a gallon of ice cream, are you saying you wouldnt lose weight just because you ate ice cream , even though you ate 2500 cals that day and hit your target?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2012, 01:45:24 PM »
Let's discuss aesthetics...
When attempting to build muscle, you need to consume a surplus of organic matter to grow. There are people who claim that so long as you consume the RDA of protein, it is irrelevant where you derive the remainder of your extra calories.

However, the RDA of calories alone is different for a 40 year-old, 160lb sedentary male vs. a 26 year-old, 240lb NFL lineman.
Also, consider the role protein plays in the anabolism process. An extra 1,000 calories derived from steak, eggs and fish will have a very different effect on building muscle than the same amount of calories from doughnuts and peanut butter fudge.

dfresh

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2012, 02:52:39 PM »
Let's discuss aesthetics...
When attempting to build muscle, you need to consume a surplus of organic matter to grow. There are people who claim that so long as you consume the RDA of protein, it is irrelevant where you derive the remainder of your extra calories.

However, the RDA of calories alone is different for a 40 year-old, 160lb sedentary male vs. a 26 year-old, 240lb NFL lineman.
Also, consider the role protein plays in the anabolism process. An extra 1,000 calories derived from steak, eggs and fish will have a very different effect on building muscle than the same amount of calories from doughnuts and peanut butter fudge.

of course it will, doughnuts and fudge is all fat, sugar and carbs....fish, eggs and steak is protein and fat. cmon now lol. now if you have met your protein requirements for the day, which is say the standard g per lb of lean mass, then have some fudge to get your remaining calories it wont make a difference.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2012, 04:24:47 PM »
of course it will, doughnuts and fudge is all fat, sugar and carbs....fish, eggs and steak is protein and fat. cmon now lol. now if you have met your protein requirements for the day, which is say the standard g per lb of lean mass, then have some fudge to get your remaining calories it wont make a difference.

The point of my post is that protein requirements for someone building muscle exceeds the RDA, hence the source of the remaining calories does matter because you need additional protein.

dfresh

• Getbig III
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2012, 05:23:08 PM »

The point of my post is that protein requirements for someone building muscle exceeds the RDA, hence the source of the remaining calories does matter because you need additional protein.

right and i agree. and you can get additional protein by eating additional lol. so once you have additional protein covered for the day, and the additional fat and carbs as well, as long as you have still not met your requirements for the day you can go ahead and eat that doughnut is all im saying. if you take chicken, almonds, and a sweet potato, then take say a slice or two of pizza or however many it would take to equal your macros for the chicken, almonds and potato and a protein shake. as long as shake/pizza had same macros as chicken, almonds, potato it would have NO difference on body composition, ZERO. again this is assuming this all fits into your daily caloric goal

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2012, 06:06:39 PM »
from a health point there is a difference. im not advocating eating pizza and cake all day, but from an aesthetic standpoint it makes no difference WHAT you eat as long as you are hitting your target macros/calories for your goals ;) there is no changing this. lets say you need 2500 cals to lose weight and in those 2500 cals for the day you ate a gallon of ice cream, are you saying you wouldnt lose weight just because you ate ice cream , even though you ate 2500 cals that day and hit your target?

you are incorrect

dfresh

• Getbig III
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2012, 06:12:13 PM »

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2012, 06:16:58 PM »
i'm kind of tired of this discussion...

it you do not understand the nutritional difference between 500 calories of plain chicken breast and 500 calories of processed, low fat chicken sandwich meat there's very little I can do for you