Author Topic: Kurt Angle  (Read 5726 times)

littleguns

• Getbig V
Kurt Angle
« on: February 24, 2012, 11:43:16 AM »
Never discussed here. WHat are your thoughts?

I had the pleasure of meeting him in 99, before he got big, nice guy, very humble and down to earth.

I think he is one of the few that catapulted very fast..

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Kurt Angle
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 03:26:03 PM »
Kurt is usually/always great with fans, and sounds like he's very professional to do business with.
I think that every other person who lives in and around Pittsburgh has had their picture taken with him and/or gotten an autograph, etc.

Yeah, he's had a few legal scrapes over the years:
I'm disappointed in the multiple DUI charges, despite every one being dropped. 
Then, there was the whole Trenesha Biggers incident, which she seems a lot shadier than him, but who knows WTF really happened there...

Last, but not least, there's the hGH possession matter. Kurt managed to get the drug charges dropped after producing a prescription for the substance. My buddy lived in Pittsburgh at the time and got a lot more info to that story. I'll post some of the details here later on.

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 08:05:18 PM »
He might be a better professional wrestler, than he was as an amateur. 

I saw some old pics of him the other day, and man has his physique faded.  He might be a poster boy for the anabolics aren't miracles argument.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 03:36:06 AM »
I saw some old pics of him the other day, and man has his physique faded.

Are you saying that the rest of his body caught up with his arms?
 ;)

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 05:17:33 AM »
I was upset to see him get let go from WWE but in hindsight, if he stayed he most likely would have been done due to injury or ened up like Davey Boy in a wheelchair.

I believe that he and Benoit were some of the better matches as I think they brought out the best in each other.

Listen to the interview I posted, he said when Brock landed on his head, Kurt was thinking more about the business, 2 stars being out and who would take his place...

As Roddy would say Kirt has the sickness

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 06:15:03 AM »
I was upset to see him get let go from WWE but in hindsight, if he stayed he most likely would have been done due to injury or ened up like Davey Boy in a wheelchair.

I believe that he and Benoit were some of the better matches as I think they brought out the best in each other.

Listen to the interview I posted, he said when Brock landed on his head, Kurt was thinking more about the business, 2 stars being out and who would take his place...

I was under the impression that Angle & WWE initially parted ways on mutually good terms.
Kurt went on about how his body needed a rest for a while (non-kayfabe), that he needed a break from wrestling and traveling, how greatful he was to the McMahon's and the WWF, and Vince saying that Kurt would be welcomed back anytime, etc.

About two weeks later, it was announced that Kurt had signed with TNA.
I've often wondered how that made the old man feel.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 06:15:47 AM »
And, Dynamite is in the wheelchair.

:(

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 11:49:24 AM »

Are you saying that the rest of his body caught up with his arms?
 ;)

Yeah, his arms were never going to threaten Priest for the best ever.

Maybe I should edit that, it might get a bodybuilding discussion going.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 12:59:35 PM »
Yeah, his arms were never going to threaten Priest for the best ever.

Maybe I should edit that, it might get a bodybuilding discussion going.

Don't worry...
I'll nuke the thread if it goes too far in that direction!
 ;)

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 03:50:24 PM »

I was under the impression that Angle & WWE initially parted ways on mutually good terms.
Kurt went on about how his body needed a rest for a while (non-kayfabe), that he needed a break from wrestling and traveling, how greatful he was to the McMahon's and the WWF, and Vince saying that Kurt would be welcomed back anytime, etc.

About two weeks later, it was announced that Kurt had signed with TNA.
I've often wondered how that made the old man feel.

Not sure how amicable it was. I think Vince saw the writing on the wall that Kurt was out of control, 125 perks a day and it was either keep him, continue to make money and watch him destruct or let him go. Vince had to know Kurt would not rest up and gambled him going to TNA.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 04:27:18 PM »
Not sure how amicable it was. I think Vince saw the writing on the wall that Kurt was out of control, 125 perks a day and it was either keep him, continue to make money and watch him destruct or let him go. Vince had to know Kurt would not rest up and gambled him going to TNA.

Good points.
Maybe the public statements were more of a work.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 06:13:56 PM »

Angle has told about 17 different versions about what happened before he left WWE. I think he's going to be another "wrestling tragedy"...I really hope I'm wrong.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 05:19:38 AM »
Angle has told about 17 different versions about what happened before he left WWE. I think he's going to be another "wrestling tragedy"...I really hope I'm wrong.

He has been VERY open about his pain killer addiction and that he is only wrestling 2-3 times a week at most. He seems very sincere about trying to help brand TNA and help mold the younger talents. He doesn't need to fight for the top spot

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2012, 01:54:45 PM »

Don't worry...
I'll nuke the thread if it goes too far in that direction!
 ;)

I think that if Kurt were to use FST-746 He could bring his arms up.....then again, with usage of the Weider constant tension principle the progress wouldnt be as slow.

(kidding)

I liked Kurts guy in the WWE when he was the straight guy...and everyone was busting his balls and he still was majorlly over.  Its hard to watch his matches now (IMHO).  One of the last times I saw TNA was when he was accused of doing something to his ex wife....Jarrett was there....I actually felt embarrassed and slightly awkward for evening watching it.  I think they mentioned the kids in it....all that went a tad too far into reality.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2012, 03:43:05 PM »
I think they mentioned the kids in it....all that went a tad too far into reality.

Sounds like a Russo move.
He always liked weaving real-life heat into angles.

Maybe that's because years ago, the formula worked. Around the time dirt-sheets appeared on the web, I think we saw a substantial surge in the "smark" population - i.e., US. ;)  McMahon & Heyman started running their own respective phone "hotlines" featuring backstage news, which many marks found remarkably captivating - even more so than the shows themselves.
According to Bret, Vince relied on the backstage heat that he and HBK had in selling tickets & PPV's for several of their matches. In essence, Vince was banking on a lot of the marks expecting a shoot to happen in the ring, and spreading that rumor and attracting even more interest.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 05:28:51 AM »
Classic Moment

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2012, 06:48:19 AM »
Just found this article. It's a few weeks old, but interesting read.

Kurt Angle on his hardest task - making an Olympic return in 2012

By Jon Barbuti
BBC Sport
Mention pro wrestling and the reaction of many is to say "ahh, but it's not real" in a tone more suited to passing on great wisdom to one's children.
The tone suggests it is an activity without merit. The implication being that, because the results are predetermined, it bears no comparison with, say football, because, although that is just 22 people trying to kick a ball into a net, at least they are doing it for real.
But there is another side to wrestling, the amateur version which, while unlikely to sell out Madison Square Garden any time soon can at least point to being 100% genuine.
In truth, the two do not make particularly easy bedfellows which is no doubt why almost nobody has made the transition from amateur to pro and nobody has done it the other way round.

Until now, that is. Kurt Angle won Olympic gold in 1996 before going on to enjoy huge success with the World Wrestling Federation (WWF) and then TNA Impact wrestling. Now he is going back, at least temporarily, trying to make the US team for the 2012 Olympics.
Given the fantastical storylines of pro wrestling it is tempting to think that his head has been turned by extended exposure to sports entertainment.
Should he make the team he will be, at 43, six years older than anyone else to have made the US squad.
It is 16 years since he last had an amateur match, and going from that lengthy hiatus to Olympian is surely a pipe dream. Why attempt it and why now?
"I had to give it a lot of thought, it didn't just come out of my head and say I'm going to try for Olympics," he says.
"What are my chances of making the team? Slim to none, I'm not going to lie but, if I can look you in the eye and say I have a chance that's more than enough. That's worth training five hours a day to get ready for the trials and for the biggest event of all, the Olympics."
For that to become a reality, Angle will have to beat a world class field in April's trials, including Jake Varner, the 2011 world championship bronze medallist and clear favourite for the slot.

Angle believes Varner will be his last match in a dream finale, but does danger lurk in the young guns keen to make a name for themselves? He sees it differently - the pressure is on them.
"I don't think it's fair," he starts before reconsidering. "I can't say it's not fair but if you pull the Kurt Angle card you've got a former world champion, a former Olympic champion so it's not exactly the best pick.
"It's a tough thing they'll have to accept thinking 'gosh, why do I have to wrestle one of the greatest wrestlers in US history in the first round?'"
Still though the question remains, could failure damage his Olympic legacy or his standing as a headline act with TNA? Walking out as pro wrestling's only Olympic champion is one thing - it led to huge success in an industry he admits he thought was a "bit of a joke" before growing to love and respect it. Coming out as that guy who lost in the first round of the trials is quite another.
"The only negative publicity I could get is if I didn't show for the trials. I don't want people to think Kurt Angle is a quitter," he responds, indirectly responding to critics who have suggested the bid is just a PR stunt.
"I've been chastised for going into mixed martial arts and backing out. But the reason I backed out was the terms - they wanted me ready to fight in four weeks but you've got to be out of your mind.

"So I decided to go back to my roots, back to wrestling. Let me try out for the Olympics again, let me soak it in let me enjoy it and get back to the sport I love. I thought about my Olympic experience and I can tell you I don't remember much.
"This time it's about the experience. If I make the team, that's the icing on the cake but you can never, ever take that Olympic gold from me. I've already got one - I just want a second one."
While Kurt admits he is odds against to make the team, what is certain is that to have any chance he will have to change a style that was aggressive even before he made the switch into a type of wrestling in which TLC stands for tables, ladders and chairs.
"I've had a rugged 10 years. I've been through painkiller abuse to broken necks to wrestling 300 days a year, beating my body down," he admits.
"I've had to change. I've pulled back on taking chances. I look back and I almost lost a couple of matches because of sheer stupidity and being too aggressive. I won't be taking that approach now, it's going to be like a chess match."
In his favour are new rules with shorter, lower-scoring bouts and what would border on home support from pro wrestling fans.
Support closer to home has been harder to find. Kurt has made a fortune from wrestling but you get the feeling some close to him wish it was more of a job than a vocation. He proved everything in the amateur game, then proved everything in the pros, why now go back and try to prove it all once more?
Seemingly others are asking that question.
"I've had my ex-wife Karen tell me you're not fit for it," he says.
"I've had family members say they're concerned about my neck, my mother's always worried and even some of my brothers aren't taking me seriously.
"Last time they were with me everywhere I went, now they're like 'nah he's not really doing it'. I've been doing it by the grace of God as I don't have near the support I had back then."
The apparent lack of backing will be out of concern; Angle won gold in 1996 shortly after breaking his neck but just making the Games this time is far more of a challenge.
Angle hints that by pro wrestling standards he is in top shape but wrestling is one sport where increased fitness and professionalism don't necessarily go hand in hand.
"You've got to stay in pretty good shape to be a pro wrestler and all the TNA wrestlers get a bit nervous when I wrestle them because they're afraid I'll tire them out but the Olympics is a whole different level," he says.
"I'm not even at peak condition. It's kind of like a work of art, you're drawing this painting and you want to see what it will look like at the end. We're going to find out in a couple of months."

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2012, 05:23:00 PM »
His physique really will go downhill once he becomes clean.  Or maybe they don't get tested until they make the team.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2012, 06:16:19 PM »
His physique really will go downhill once he becomes clean.  Or maybe they don't get tested until they make the team.

After all this time in pro-wrestling - especially during his WWF tenure - he probably knows what to run, and when to stop it, to beat any IOC test.