Author Topic: Barbell Rows...Am I the only one with this problem?  (Read 16358 times)

BiGHer

• Getbig IV
Re: Barbell Rows...Am I the only one with this problem?
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2012, 04:54:05 PM »
I wouldn't stress the rep scheme too hard.  If you feel your working the muscle better with heavier weight and not as strict form then that's what you need to go with or if the lighter weight is working it better, go with that.

Some people stress form too much.  Bad form is form that puts you at risk for injury.  Otherwise, you know what muscles you're trying to work, so who's to tell you that your form is wrong if you're feeling it the most in those muscles with the way you're doing it?

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2012, 05:45:39 PM »
heavy is relative i do my rows close to 90 degrees.. and i go heavy
but its not heavy for you  :)

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2012, 05:47:48 PM »
Call it bro science or bro experience, I feel my lats a lot better in the 90 degree version, prob because I'm able to contract my back better than with the 45-version. I also feel a better stretch in my lats in the lower position.
i dont doubt your experience, i think whats probably happening is your confusing the various muscles of the upper back with the lats. the lats are low and on the outside , from your arm pit to the bottom of your spine.  all that stuff between your shoulders up there on your back , while its nice to have all that developed, its not your lats.

POTA

« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2012, 06:18:34 PM »
Lee Preist had the worrst back, Paul Dillet was second.

Dont ask these guys.
Levrone and Sonbaty are up there.

Sherief Shalaby

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2012, 08:13:37 PM »
 :D

SamsonD

• Getbig II
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2012, 09:37:52 PM »
I wouldn't stress the rep scheme too hard.  If you feel your working the muscle better with heavier weight and not as strict form then that's what you need to go with or if the lighter weight is working it better, go with that.

Some people stress form too much.  Bad form is form that puts you at risk for injury.  Otherwise, you know what muscles you're trying to work, so who's to tell you that your form is wrong if you're feeling it the most in those muscles with the way you're doing it?

Best/smartest post I've read on getbig today.  We all like to judge and condemn or celebrate things we read and see on the internet, but at the end of the day you have to do what works for you.  I can tell you without a doubt that loose form BB rows with heavy weight have helped me out immensly.  Way better than repping out strict 90 degree rows with 225.
And rows are not for you lats anyway, you do chins and pullovers for lats(width), and various forms of rows for middle back and some lower lat thickness.

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2012, 09:54:51 PM »
my lower back is too badly injured from years of powerlifting and douche-lifting to be able to do bent rows with anything over 225, but I love doing them face down on a bench.

You lose an inch or two at the contraction but most people cheat that anyway.. really saves the lower back and lets you get a ton of sets in for the upper back

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2012, 09:58:52 PM »
Thumbs down for barbell rows. Unnecessary and risker than deads for the back.
T

trapz101

• Getbig IV
  • team 'THE CORN'
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2012, 10:02:41 PM »
:D

this is one example when you do heavier weight you tend to sacrifice your form at the top of the movement....
T

NeilGM

• Getbig III
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2012, 10:25:57 PM »
Don't really rate them to be honest

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2012, 10:30:47 PM »
i dont doubt your experience, i think whats probably happening is your confusing the various muscles of the upper back with the lats. the lats are low and on the outside , from your arm pit to the bottom of your spine.  all that stuff between your shoulders up there on your back , while its nice to have all that developed, its not your lats.

and im not saying lats arent hit when you do barbell rows at 90. they are. but not to the degree and what stress is levied comes from the upper portion, mostly neglecting the lower.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2012, 02:51:01 AM »
but its not heavy for you  :)
Yes it is
choice is an illusion

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2012, 03:11:40 AM »
Exactly. That's one of the points of pyramiding. You go from stricter form and higher reps to heavy with a little loosened up form.

If your body survives it - this is the way to go.

Thoth

• Getbig II
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2012, 03:41:12 AM »
If your body survives it - this is the way to go.

Exactly.  Say what you will about Ronnie's form or whatever, but the fact of the matter is, that is how you row.  No if's, and's, or but's about it.  Rowing is a power movement.  If you want to feel the lat's stretch and contract and squeeze and all that then row with your chest on a support or a machine.  If you want mass and raw power and of course lats that hang then you have to row with force and activate everything involved.  Don't worry about "feel".  Just pull that weight up.  Don't worry about it not hitting the muscle.  If your body is aligned right and your form is good, believe me, you'll use the correct muscles to move that weight.  You'll be forced to if the weight is heavy enough and power is generated properly.

closeline

• Getbig IV
« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2012, 04:09:54 AM »
They work great and make my back work but...

I feel like if I go too heavy, my form suffers...then if I go just slightly less heavy, I can do like 20 reps easily. Then when I increase the weight, my form doesn't feel right even though I can rep out a normal 10 times. It's like I don't know whether to do the easier version that seems to stimulate more, or the harder version

anyone else have this problem?

your centre of gravity isn t positioned correct when you perform this movement

maybe you bent over to far  or don t use ure legs the right way

usually it should be possible to go very heavy in this exercise

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2012, 06:55:31 AM »

i make zyzz look anti-aesthetic  8).
Don't do it, DP......don't meet him.    :o :-X

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2012, 11:16:32 AM »
This appears to be a thread about bodybuilding and exercise form on the G & O. Very strange goings-on here at Getbig today.

In case you have "girl issues", feel free to post them

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2012, 11:22:40 AM »
this is one example when you do heavier weight you tend to sacrifice your form at the top of the movement....

X2!

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2012, 11:25:46 AM »
Don't do it, DP......don't meet him.    :o :-X

Don't tell me you're jealous

Stavios

« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2012, 11:26:36 AM »

I feel like if I go too heavy, my form suffers...then if I go just slightly less heavy, I can do like 20 reps easily. Then when I increase the weight, my form doesn't feel right even though I can rep out a normal 10 times. It's like I don't know whether to do the easier version that seems to stimulate more, or the harder version

I fucking hate barbell rows, never feel it right

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2012, 06:11:12 AM »
toth is spot on. barbell rows should not be treated as an isolation exercise it's an all around back exercise and you should allow some upper body movement. It's a very dynamic movement.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2012, 06:29:10 AM »
I like those too. Everyone says it's hard to breathe properly when you go heavy, but not really. I think the best I worked upto was 6 plates for 10-12 and 7 plates for 5-6, although I would usually do them later in the workout and not go that heavy.
I have the same problem, cant breathe right when going heavy on this particular piece of equipment...

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2012, 06:38:24 AM »
I have the same problem, cant breathe right when going heavy on this particular piece of equipment...

Use this piece, very trending in Gold's Venice

willie mosconi

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2012, 07:22:59 PM »
Use this piece, very trending in Gold's Venice

yeah, I've seen some dude training with this thing on. What's the supposed benefit?

claymore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2012, 01:27:19 AM »

Easy fix...do them on the smith machine.