Author Topic: 2012 NBA Hall of Fame  (Read 2069 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
2012 NBA Hall of Fame
« on: February 24, 2012, 10:16:34 PM »
Miller should get in.  Would also like to see Cheeks, King, and Silk Wilkes get in.  Wilkes still has the goofiest looking shot in NBA history.  Marcus Camby is up there in terms of lack of style points too. 

Reggie Miller is Hall of Fame finalist
Associated Press

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Reggie Miller has a chance to nail his legacy, just as he did so many 3-point shots.

The Indiana Pacers great with the smoothest of strokes was announced Friday as a first-time finalist for the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. He is one of 12 finalists for the class of 2012.

"When you're in the backyard and you're trying to play the 3-2-1 game, and you're trying to be the Iceman (George Gervin) and do the figure roll. ... Now to be on the same stage with these guys. It's just a great honor," Miller said.

Miller, a five-time All-Star, was joined as a first-time finalist by five-time NCAA Final Four coach Rick Pitino, former NBA coach Bill Fitch and two-time Olympic gold medalist Katrina McClain.

On the ballot again are Don Nelson, Maurice Cheeks, Bernard King, Dick Motta, Hank Nichols, Ralph Sampson, Jamaal Wilkes and the All-American Red Heads, known as the female version of the Harlem Globetrotters and the first women's professional basketball team.

Miller and Cheeks were the only finalists in attendance for Friday's announcement.

"I also played against these guys and it's the highest honor. And to be selected would be an honor," Cheeks said. "To get to the NBA was special for me. To have an opportunity to be elected to Hall of Fame would just be an honor."

The 2012 class will be announced April 2 at the NCAA Final Four in New Orleans. A finalist needs 18 of 24 votes from the Honors Committee for election.

Also honored Friday were five direct elections who will serve as the initial 2012 inductees: Mel Daniels, voted by the American Basketball Association Committee; Don Barksdale from the Early African-American Pioneers Committee; Lidia Alexeeva from the International Committee; Chet Walker from the Veterans Committee; and Phil Knight from the Contributors Committee.

Knight, the Nike co-founder, expressed his thanks by video.

"I was so shaken that my knees almost buckled," he said.

The Curt Gowdy Media Award for print was given to longtime sports writer Sam Smith, with current NBA executive and Orlando Magic founder Pat Williams receiving the John W. Bunn Lifetime Achievement Award.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7611451/naismith-hall-fame-finalists-include-reggie-miller-don-nelson-rick-pitino

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: 2012 NBA Hall of Fame
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 06:59:18 AM »
Miller should get in.  Would also like to see Cheeks, King, and Silk Wilkes get in.  Wilkes still has the goofiest looking shot in NBA history.  Marcus Camby is up there in terms of lack of style points too. 

Reggie Miller is Hall of Fame finalist
Associated Press

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Reggie Miller has a chance to nail his legacy, just as he did so many 3-point shots.

The Indiana Pacers great with the smoothest of strokes was announced Friday as a first-time finalist for the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. He is one of 12 finalists for the class of 2012.

"When you're in the backyard and you're trying to play the 3-2-1 game, and you're trying to be the Iceman (George Gervin) and do the figure roll. ... Now to be on the same stage with these guys. It's just a great honor," Miller said.

Miller, a five-time All-Star, was joined as a first-time finalist by five-time NCAA Final Four coach Rick Pitino, former NBA coach Bill Fitch and two-time Olympic gold medalist Katrina McClain.

On the ballot again are Don Nelson, Maurice Cheeks, Bernard King, Dick Motta, Hank Nichols, Ralph Sampson, Jamaal Wilkes and the All-American Red Heads, known as the female version of the Harlem Globetrotters and the first women's professional basketball team.

Miller and Cheeks were the only finalists in attendance for Friday's announcement.

"I also played against these guys and it's the highest honor. And to be selected would be an honor," Cheeks said. "To get to the NBA was special for me. To have an opportunity to be elected to Hall of Fame would just be an honor."

The 2012 class will be announced April 2 at the NCAA Final Four in New Orleans. A finalist needs 18 of 24 votes from the Honors Committee for election.

Also honored Friday were five direct elections who will serve as the initial 2012 inductees: Mel Daniels, voted by the American Basketball Association Committee; Don Barksdale from the Early African-American Pioneers Committee; Lidia Alexeeva from the International Committee; Chet Walker from the Veterans Committee; and Phil Knight from the Contributors Committee.

Knight, the Nike co-founder, expressed his thanks by video.

"I was so shaken that my knees almost buckled," he said.

The Curt Gowdy Media Award for print was given to longtime sports writer Sam Smith, with current NBA executive and Orlando Magic founder Pat Williams receiving the John W. Bunn Lifetime Achievement Award.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7611451/naismith-hall-fame-finalists-include-reggie-miller-don-nelson-rick-pitino
don nelson as a coach or a playa?
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 07:02:23 AM »
 :(
F

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 06:24:57 PM »
Reggie Miller leads Hall class
Updated: April 2, 2012

NEW ORLEANS -- Reggie Miller rode his sister's coat-tails all the way to the Hall of Fame.

The Class of 2012
The 12 members of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame's Class of 2012, seven of which were announced Monday:

• Reggie Miller: 5-time All-Star; 1996 Olympic gold-medal winner
• Don Nelson: 5-time NBA champion as player and winningest coach in league history
• Ralph Sampson: 3-time NCAA player of year, 4-time NBA All-Star
• Jamaal Wilkes: 2-time NCAA champion, 4-time NBA champ, 3-time All-Star
• Katrina McClain: 2-time All-American, 1988, '96 gold-medal winner
• Hank Nichols: Refereed 10 Final Fours, six national title games; coordinated NCAA officials
• All-American Red Heads: Female version of Harlem Globetrotters

Five members of the class already had been announced: Nike co-founder Phil Knight, ABA star Mel Daniels, 7-time NBA All-Star Chet Walker, Olympian Don Barksdale and Lydija Alexeeva, who led Soviet Union to two Olympic gold medals.

-- The Associated Press

The five-time All-Star joined longtime NBA coach Don Nelson and college standout Ralph Sampson on Monday as part of a 12-member class that will be inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in September. Miller's sister, Cheryl, was enshrined in 1995.

Miller was at home when he received the call a couple days ago that he had gained entrance to the exclusive club. He quickly called his sister, one of the pioneers of the women's game.

"I can still hear her screaming in my ear," Miller said with a smile.

Miller often recalls the story about how his sister would beat him in games of one-on-one growing up. It wasn't until he'd grown to 6-foot-7 and could block Cheryl's shot that they finally quit playing those driveway pick-up games.

"She was a role model. She is a role model. She set the bar high for the family," Miller said, "and I'm just glad I'm on her coat-tails, dragging me along to the Hall of Fame."

Miller certainly earned the trip in his own right.

After a standout career at UCLA, he became one of the best perimeter shooters in the history of the game. He was part of the 1996 gold medal-winning Olympic team and played more games with one franchise than any player except for the Utah Jazz duo of John Stockton and Karl Malone.

He also caused untold fits for the New York Knicks, for years the biggest rival of his Pacers.

The night at Madison Square Garden that Miller scored an improbable eight points in 8.9 seconds, almost single-handedly winning Game 1 of the Eastern Conference semifinals, is chronicled in the Peabody Award-winning documentary, "Winning Time: Reggie Miller vs. the New York Knicks."

She was a role model. She is a role model. She set the bar high for the family and I'm just glad I'm on her coat-tails, dragging me along to the Hall of Fame.

-- Reggie Miller, on joining sister Cheryl in Hall of Fame

"To be a part of this exclusive club is pretty special," Miller said.

The club in Springfield, Mass., now includes two-time Olympic gold medalist Katrina McClain, four-time NBA champion Jamaal Wilkes, longtime college referee Hank Nichols and the All-American Red Heads -- the female version of the Harlem Globetrotters.

The newcomers were joined by five members of the class who already had been announced: Nike co-founder Phil Knight, ABA star Mel Daniels, seven-time NBA All-Star Chet Walker, Olympian Don Barksdale and Lydija Alexeeva, who led the Soviet Union to two Olympic gold medals.

The class will be inducted during a ceremony scheduled for Sept. 7.

"I was sitting on my back porch, smoking a cigar, when I got the call," said Nelson, a five-time NBA champion as a player and the winningest coach in league history.

"It was a great moment for me. I'm the luckiest man in the world," Nelson said. "I've been involved with the game of basketball for over 60 years, and I've never had a bad day, even when we lost games. They've all been great days."

The 7-foot-4 Sampson was one of the most dominant college players in history, a three-time national player of the year who led Virginia to the Final Four. He was the first overall pick in the NBA draft and a four-time All-Star before injuries finally slowed his career.

McClain was dealing with her kids at home when she learned she had been inducted in the Hall of Fame. The two-time All-American at Georgia helped the United States win Olympic gold in 1988 and 1996, and the bronze medal in 1992, blazing a trail for future WNBA stars.

Caplan: Nelson An Innovator
Don Nelson, the NBA's winningest coach, forged his Hall of Fame career by being an innovator, ESPNDallas.com's Jeff Caplan writes. Story

The son of a Baptist minister, Wilkes was a two-time NCAA champion with UCLA and a three-time NBA All-Star. His jumper was so smooth that announcer Chick Hearn called it a "20-foot layup."

Nichols refereed 10 Final Fours and six national championship games before coordinating officials for the NCAA, while the All-American Red Heads entertained millions of fans over the course of six decades, breaking untold social barriers along the way.

"It's a very special time for people who have been involved in the game for a long time to be in the presence of those who have already been inducted into the Hall of Fame," Hall of Fame chairman Jerry Colangelo said.

Louisville coach Rick Pitino, whose team was ousted by Kentucky in the Final Four on Saturday night, was among the finalists who were passed over by the committee.

Also missing out were four-time All-Star Maurice Cheeks, former Celtics and Rockets coach Bill Fitch, four-time All-Star Bernard King and longtime college and NBA coach Dick Motta.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7765660/ex-indiana-pacers-reggie-miller-coach-don-nelson-getting-call-hall-fame