Author Topic: Santorum says he ‘almost threw up’ after reading JFK speech on separation of chu  (Read 1491 times)

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Former senator Rick Santorum (R-Pa.) on Sunday defended a statement he made last October in which he said that he “almost threw up” when he read John F. Kennedy’s 1960 Houston address on the role of religion in public life.

The statement by Santorum marks the GOP contender’s latest defense of his long-held views on the separation of church and state, although in his Sunday appearance he doubled down on the colorful language he employed in his October speech at a New Hampshire college.

In remarks last year at the College of Saint Mary Magdalen in Warner, N.H., Santorum had told the crowd of J.F.K.’s famous 1960 address to the Greater Houston Ministerial Association, “Earlier in my political career, I had the opportunity to read the speech, and I almost threw up. You should read the speech.”. . .

. . . On Sunday, ABC’s George Stephanopoulos asked Santorum whether he stood by his statement last year, noting that Santorum’s rival, former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney (R), delivered an address on religion during the 2008 campaign that garnered comparisons to Kennedy’s address.

Santorum defended his remarks, telling Stephanopoulos that “the first line, first substantive line in the speech, says, ‘I believe in America where the separation of church and state is absolute.’”

“I don’t believe in an America where the separation of church and state is absolute,” Santorum said. “The idea that the church can have no influence or no involvement in the operation of the state is absolutely antithetical to the objectives and vision of our country.”. . .

. . .Later in the interview, Stephanopoulos asked Santorum, “You think you wanted to throw up?”

“Well, yes, absolutely,” Santorum replied. “To say that people of faith have no role in the public square? You bet that makes you throw up. What kind of country do we live that says only people of non-faith can come into the public square and make their case? That makes me throw up.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/election-2012/post/santorum-says-he-almost-threw-up-after-reading-jfk-speech-on-separation-of-church-and-state/2012/02/26/gIQA91hubR_blog.html?hpid=z1

He as usual mischaracterizes JFK's speech. The Republicans have absolutely gone off the deep end. They are certifiably insane.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
here's the problem - and the reason our forefathers went out of their way to separate chruch and state....

Santorum only wants to use HIS religion to make law.   Ask him about using sharia law as the basis for things.

The moment you open up ONE group to having this kind of power, you give it to all of them.

And that's why the founders wanted religion kept out of lawmaking.

howardroark

• Getbig IV
  • Resident Objectivist & Autodidact
Rick "Ahmadinejad" Santorum

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
So basically JFK assured the people that the pope wouldn't be a factor in his politics.  Santorum has pretty much promised us the pope or Opus Dei will be an important deciding factor in a Santorum administration.

ooh, sounds great... what on earth could be the problem lol...

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
So basically JFK assured the people that the pope wouldn't be a factor in his politics.  Santorum has pretty much promised us the pope or Opus Dei will be an important deciding factor in a Santorum administration.

ooh, sounds great... what on earth could be the problem lol...

Well, JFK was the first Catholic president in U.S. history....him being influenced by the Pope or other Catholic higher-ups was an actual concern.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Well, JFK was the first Catholic president in U.S. history....him being influenced by the Pope or other Catholic higher-ups was an actual concern.
true, should it not be a concern today?

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
No......Santorum is making the case that all view points have shot in public discourse. Separation of church and state only refers to the US having an official religion such as England had. The founders were christian despite the best efforts of revisionist historians.
L

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!

Yes. Someone being religious and faithful is fine so as long as a persons faith is kept separate from decision making. But then you have the gray area like the 10 Commandments....but then again those are pretty common sense anyways. So, some religious guy wants to push abstinence only sex ed or ban it all together when he's president or in congress bc pre-marital sex is outlawed by his faith....that shit shouldn't happen.

There needs to be a separation, no doubt.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
He won't...something like that would never get pushed through.
L

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
Rick "Ahmadinejad" Santorum

Haha!  Great one.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
No......Santorum is making the case that all view points have shot in public discourse. Separation of church and state only refers to the US having an official religion such as England had. The founders were christian despite the best efforts of revisionist historians.
You have some more explaining to do if you're going to defend Santorum on what he's said in this area.  If Santorum is just talking about all views having a shot in public discourse, then why was Santorum so distgusted with JFK's speech?  In that speech he says the same thing.

But let's look at the main point of what JFK said and you tell me why this is so disturbing to Rick "Opus Dei" Santorum:

"Whatever issue may come before me as president — on birth control, divorce, censorship, gambling or any other subject — I will make my decision in accordance with these views, in accordance with what my conscience tells me to be the national interest, and without regard to outside religious pressures or dictates. And no power or threat of punishment could cause me to decide otherwise."--JFK

JFK was basically telling the people, hey I'm hear to be your president, not a puppet of the pope.  This disturbs Santorum so bad he wants to puke?

And JFK wasn't talking about the seperation of church and state outside of the context it's legally viewed.  So this isn't about JFK being a history revisionist.  Most of what he said goes with what Jefferson said.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.

LMFAOO!!!!!   are you fucking kidding? 

YOU VOTED FOR OBAMA WITH NO CONCERN WHETHER HE WOULD BE INFLUENCED FROM REV. WRIGHT - REMEMBER? ? ? ? ? ? ? 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V

YOU VOTED FOR OBAMA WITH NO CONCERN WHETHER HE WOULD BE INFLUENCED FROM REV. WRIGHT - REMEMBER? ? ? ? ? ? ? 
Dude ::)  Keep this in context please.  Absolutely nowhere did Obama suggest what JFK said was wrong or that he would make his decisions in office at discretion of his church.  At least nobody ever pointed that out to me.  I would have flipped out and never voted Obama if he had suggested that.  These are valid questions we have about Santorum because of what he's said.  This is about Santorum, not Obama.  Chill and keep it on topic.

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

Ah, yes.

The same Obama whose economic policy of spreading the wealth and attacking success is based on his interpretation of "for unto whomsoever much is given, of him sall be much required". Obama even speaks to Jesus.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Dude ::)  Keep this in context please.  Absolutely nowhere did Obama suggest what JFK said was wrong or that he would make his decisions in office at discretion of his church.  At least nobody ever pointed that out to me.  I would have flipped out and never voted Obama if he had suggested that.  These are valid questions we have about Santorum because of what he's said.  This is about Santorum, not Obama.  Chill and keep it on topic.

False - Obama has invoked Jesus as the basis of his polices many times.  He was in that hatefest church every week and those of us who brought it up were repeatedly shouted down and told it was of no concern.

Yes, Santorums' remarks make we wince, but sorry - payback is a fucking bitch.    

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Obama has stated that he prays to God. That he uses Biblical scripture to determine how he will govern certain aspects of the economy and who knows what else.

Yet, that will not prevent some here from voting for him. AGAIN!!!

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V

False - Obama has invoked Jesus as the basis of his polices many times.  He was in that hatefest church every week and those of us who brought it up were repeatedly shouted down and told it was of no concern.

Yes, Santorums' remarks make we wince, but sorry - payback is a fucking bitch.    
Oh, this is now just about payback ::)  You're fucking sick in the head... and many presidents have invoked Jesus...  That's not what this is about you fucking dumbshit.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Obama has stated that he prays to God. That he uses Biblical scripture to determine how he will govern certain aspects of the economy and who knows what else.

Yet, that will not prevent some here from voting for him. AGAIN!!!
Many presidents have said they pray to god and go to church and all that shit... again, that's not what this is about...

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
You go get em 3333, make sure Santorum gets it for max payback... That'll show us...  ::)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
You go get em 3333, make sure Santorum gets it for max payback... That'll show us...  ::)

I could care less who gets us payaback in November.   If Bernie Madoff were running for POTUS I would vote for that over this sick demented pofs obama. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V

I could care less who gets us payaback in November.   If Bernie Madoff were running for POTUS I would vote for that over this sick demented pofs obama.  
So what the hell are you doing in this thread?  Here we are yet again pushing the notion that I'm not qualified to be a part of the public vetting on these candidates because I voted for Obama...  I'm supposed to just shut the fuck up huh or be called a hypocrite.

Again, you're comments about Obama in this thread don't even fucking apply to the point of the thread.  Presidents talking about Jesus, not new!!! Candidates saying JFK's promise to not let the church force his hand in office was a mistake, that's new!  It's a valid point we can talk about and not the same thing as a president talking about their faith which has happend by many.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
So what the hell are you doing in this thread?  Here we are yet again pushing the notion that I'm not qualified to be a part of the public vetting on these candidates because I voted for Obama...  I'm supposed to just shut the fuck up huh or be called a hypocrite.

Again, you're comments about Obama in this thread don't even fucking apply to the point of the thread.  Presidents talking about Jesus, not new!!! Candidates saying JFK's promise to not let the church force his hand in office was a mistake, that's new!  It's a valid point we can talk about and not the same thing as a president talking about their faith which has happend by many.

What Santorum said is wincing, but again - HOW DID WE GET HERE? ? ?   

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
It also makes me wonder a bit about when and who Santorum first told this stuff to..  He said this to catholics while in Rome in 2002!  I have only seen quotes from what he said.  If anyone has the full thing, I'd like to see exactly what he said while in Rome.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
What Santorum said is wincing, but again - HOW DID WE GET HERE? ? ?   
Well, go for your max vengeance... get it out of your system... Teach those Obama voters you hate so much a lesson.  All we're doing here right now is vetting the candidates and trying to get the best guy for the job AND the best guy to beat Obama.  If you just want the best guy to piss off libs, whatever. ::)