Author Topic: The Good Life  (Read 27520 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
The Good Life
« on: February 27, 2012, 07:58:11 AM »
What is your idea of the good life?  Here's one of mine: paragliding above the California coast...  8)

bradistani

• Getbig V
Re: The Good Life
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 01:06:57 PM »
pretty much that. the beautiful clean, fresh air. no city noises. must be amazing and relaxing to just hang in the sky like that.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 11:09:54 AM »
Surfing in Maui or chilling on Big Beach?  How about both... on the same day?  8)

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 12:29:04 PM »
a philosophical quandary for the ages..

hematocritter

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 01:02:45 PM »
I ponder this daily.

For me personally, the only calming/healthy thing that makes me happy is nature and good relationships with other people.
Other than that, happiness comes from excitement, or things that make my adrenaline pump. This has lead me down a road
that has some bad consequences at times though.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 01:12:40 PM »
For me, being near the water is key.  There something about seeing the waves break on shore over and over without end… And hearing it that brings me a feeling of total peace and pleasure.  It is difficult to describe or appreciate if you are not into it.  Sleeping at a beach house and waking up to the the sound of waves.  Or spending the night on a boat and waking up to the calm waves of the ocean... Sigh!  8)

If I had to live inland away from the coast I would be most unhappy.  :-[

Another one of my favorite places... the Keys and Key West.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 01:38:17 PM »
several things make me happy.

lifting.
making out/making love/cuddling with my gf.
looking up at the stars on a clear night.
looking at massive cloud formations and sprawling skylines of various colors.
discussing philosophy and philosophical issues.
going to a club and dancing with my gf all night.
flexing in front of the mirror.
meditating, when meditating comes easily.
watching good movies.
listening to good music.
singing.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 03:27:48 PM »
Not one metal bar loaded with weights in any pic.

flex luger

• Getbig II
  • project: Single Digit
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 10:17:33 PM »
A massive house
A nice car
A great family

This is all i want in life. I aspire to have a great body aswell. But we all know that doesn't last forever.
i trust me

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 11:33:25 PM »

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 04:05:41 PM »
What is your idea of the good life?  Here's one of mine: paragliding above the California coast...  8)
To tell the truth, i have never understood the motivation to participate in activities like this, by the time you save up your pennies, buy the ridiculously expensive equipment, learn what your doing, drag all that gear up a cliff, drag it all back down again, fight the elements, spend a shitload of money, get sun burned and lose your wallet all to drive home and realise you left something back at the cliff.  No, hobbies like that make me tired, you could achieve a similar chemical reaction in your body jumping on a trampoline.  Sports like that are for wankers and showponies!
V

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 08:28:45 PM »
Oh man I could post a million pictures of all the shit I love seeing and doing. I have 4 weeks in a row off this summer. I'll be riding my bike all over the country visiting at least 10 national parks. Going to be doing lots and lots of hiking. Nothing like drinking some whisky and smoking a good cigar in front of a fire at night, waking up in my tent, and admiring the natural beauty of wherever I am. Living simply and minimalistically is the good life to me.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 11:40:55 PM »
my vision of the good life is posting on getbig 100+ times a day until I have over 80,000 posts with every single post informing people of the evils of those pesky commie libs and the antichrist Obama...

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 11:50:22 PM »
my vision of the good life is posting on getbig 100+ times a day until I have over 80,000 posts with every single post informing people of the evils of those pesky commie libs and the antichrist Obama...
Sorry, I missed all of them - can you please be a little more specific about your agenda
V

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 12:34:37 AM »
Sorry, I missed all of them - can you please be a little more specific about your agenda
no thanks, witnessing it once was enough for a lifetime   :(

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2012, 12:37:39 PM »
To tell the truth, i have never understood the motivation to participate in activities like this, by the time you save up your pennies, buy the ridiculously expensive equipment, learn what your doing, drag all that gear up a cliff, drag it all back down again, fight the elements, spend a shitload of money, get sun burned and lose your wallet all to drive home and realise you left something back at the cliff.  No, hobbies like that make me tired, you could achieve a similar chemical reaction in your body jumping on a trampoline.  Sports like that are for wankers and showponies!
::)

Oh man I could post a million pictures of all the shit I love seeing and doing. I have 4 weeks in a row off this summer. I'll be riding my bike all over the country visiting at least 10 national parks. Going to be doing lots and lots of hiking. Nothing like drinking some whisky and smoking a good cigar in front of a fire at night, waking up in my tent, and admiring the natural beauty of wherever I am. Living simply and minimalistically is the good life to me.
8)

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 03:06:35 AM »
The good life:

+

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 06:56:06 AM »
I've been recently pondering this as well.  I live close to the beach, about a half mile from the ocean, and the people at the end of my street are on deep water, but that's not the end all for me.  We live in a modest house(400-500k) and live comfortable.  We have a condo up the street that we rent, and that, with our investments, will be our retirement(we are both 30 now).  I pay an extra $1,000 a month on my mortgage so that I can have it paid off in 10-12 years, barring any unforseen circumstances.  Our cars are paid for and we can live how we want.  We recently took a two week trip to Europe, and have standing vacation every winter in St. Maarten.  I own a construction company, that in a few years when my wife is hopefully done working, will support us.  I thought about getting a bigger house, or a new car, but I thought, why?  If I do that, I won't be able to take the trips that we take, or go out to dinner on the weekends.  Financially stable, for me is happiness, becasue having a load of debt can really do a number on you.  Americans are like that though, if they can afford a 400k house, they get a 600k house, and then wonder why they have no money.  You hit the nail on the head Bay, going places, seeing things, and creating memories are much better than having material things that just take up space.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 12:22:43 PM »
To tell the truth, i have never understood the motivation to participate in activities like this, by the time you save up your pennies, buy the ridiculously expensive equipment, learn what your doing, drag all that gear up a cliff, drag it all back down again, fight the elements, spend a shitload of money, get sun burned and lose your wallet all to drive home and realise you left something back at the cliff.  No, hobbies like that make me tired, you could achieve a similar chemical reaction in your body jumping on a trampoline.  Sports like that are for wankers and showponies!

Hmm.  Perhaps you are telling us more about yourself than you intend to.  :-\

Think about similar activities like sailing, skiing (snow & water), scuba diving, or cycling.  All of those activities come with cost and a learning curve.  You appear not to be one of them, but some people actually like to learn new things and seek out activities where learning something new is required.  You have obviously never been to Mussel Rock Park (seen in the pic above). It is not a cliff one has to climb up or otherwise ascend.  You drive up to it and park your car/suv in the lot at the top of the cliff and off you go . . .

In a very short post you refer to cost/money at least three times (saving pennies, ridiculously expensive, shitload of money, lost wallet).  Given your preoccupation with $$ clearly this sort of activity is not for you.  Fair enough.  To each his own.  8)

reppingfor20

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 08:05:36 PM »
I'd like the blue shirt plz...

TEAM Nasser

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2012, 11:06:45 PM »

Hmm.  Perhaps you are telling us more about yourself than you intend to.  :-\

Think about similar activities like sailing, skiing (snow & water), scuba diving, or cycling.  All of those activities come with cost and a learning curve.  You appear not to be one of them, but some people actually like to learn new things and seek out activities where learning something new is required.  You have obviously never been to Mussel Rock Park (seen in the pic above). It is not a cliff one has to climb up or otherwise ascend.  You drive up to it and park your car/suv in the lot at the top of the cliff and off you go . . .

In a very short post you refer to cost/money at least three times (saving pennies, ridiculously expensive, shitload of money, lost wallet).  Given your preoccupation with $$ clearly this sort of activity is not for you.  Fair enough.  To each his own.  8)

i DONT HAVE A PRE OCCUATION WITH MONEY, I just wouldn't throw it away investing in New-Age yuppie Activities - I have cycled since I was 4 years old, and still ride weekly, no exorbitant costs - there is not a sight on this planet I would travel to see, I have always wondered about those retards who fly half way across the globe to enjoy a view, talk about pretentious, some people are just born wankers.  All those wankers with jetskis, hang gliders, parachutes are just lost fools, wasting there life on meaningless activities in a vain attempt to keep up with the Jones, all the while becoming all the more spiritually bankrupt.  Like the world in it's current condition needs all these middle class wankers and there middle class show pony activities rubbing salt in the wounds of all the  hundreds of thousands of people their western governments kill and slaughter so they can enjoy retarded hobbies like para sailing and hang gliding and jet skiing.   Bunch of pathetic poser losers.  JMO
V

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2012, 11:11:45 PM »
Finding that quiet spot--natural, and just taking in the essence, the beauty...absent of all man made creations. For nothing man has ever made can match the nautral world.

Yes, I know there is a bridge...

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2012, 11:43:56 AM »
i DONT HAVE A PRE OCCUATION WITH MONEY, I just wouldn't throw it away investing in New-Age yuppie Activities - I have cycled since I was 4 years old, and still ride weekly, no exorbitant costs - there is not a sight on this planet I would travel to see, I have always wondered about those retards who fly half way across the globe to enjoy a view, talk about pretentious, some people are just born wankers.  All those wankers with jetskis, hang gliders, parachutes are just lost fools, wasting there life on meaningless activities in a vain attempt to keep up with the Jones, all the while becoming all the more spiritually bankrupt.  Like the world in it's current condition needs all these middle class wankers and there middle class show pony activities rubbing salt in the wounds of all the  hundreds of thousands of people their western governments kill and slaughter so they can enjoy retarded hobbies like para sailing and hang gliding and jet skiing.   Bunch of pathetic poser losers.  JMO

If you get your bike at Wal-Mart then there are few costs to cycling, but if you have a real bike such as a Trek or Cannondale then you are going to pay.  A decent race bike from Trek will cost $2000-$3500.  A good bike from Cannondale (the SuperSix line for example) will set you back   $2200-$12000.  That is easily as much as (or more than) the cost of a glider.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/road/race_performance/
http://www.cannondale.com/#bikes_road
http://www.flyozone.com/paragliders/en/products/gliders/

Throw in helmets, shoes, clothing and accessories and it can all add up.  A few months ago a friend of mine who is a serious rider got into a fight with his wife because she would not let him buy another bicycle (he already has five).  You may dismiss this as “ridiculously expensive” and a “shitload of money” but remember, this thread is about the good life.  One cannot usually have that on shoestring budget.   If bouncing on a trampoline is your idea of the good life . . . more power to you.  :)

Me?  I'd prefer to be wind-surfing in Maui.  8)

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2012, 01:33:47 PM »
i have a $300 bike and put about 50-100 miles on it per week depending on free time and activities. last summer i was riding about 30 miles per day. not for exercise, just for transportation to and from work and to the gym and back. after a couple months of doing that i got in my car to drive it for the first time and my stomach was churning with feelings of guilt as i polluted the planet and wasted precious resources.   ;D  my town has a very nice bike path with grass and trees on each side of it going through the middle of town, from one end to the other, about 6 miles long (12 miles round trip) that i use whenever i go anywhere. it goes through all the major cross streets so no matter where im going i have an exit to get off of. love riding my bike. thats one of my favortie things to do. put on my ipod and sing while riding, or just go without any music and listen to the beautiful silence and admire whatever the time of the day has to offer in terms of scenery. do some of my best thinking while out on my bike. doesnt cost a thing.

reppingfor20

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2012, 04:42:42 PM »

If you get your bike at Wal-Mart then there are few costs to cycling, but if you have a real bike such as a Trek or Cannondale then you are going to pay.  A decent race bike from Trek will cost $2000-$3500.  A good bike from Cannondale (the SuperSix line for example) will set you back   $2200-$12000.  That is easily as much as (or more than) the cost of a glider.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/road/race_performance/
http://www.cannondale.com/#bikes_road
http://www.flyozone.com/paragliders/en/products/gliders/

Throw in helmets, shoes, clothing and accessories and it can all add up.  A few months ago a friend of mine who is a serious rider got into a fight with his wife because she would not let him buy another bicycle (he already has five).  You may dismiss this as “ridiculously expensive” and a “shitload of money” but remember, this thread is about the good life.  One cannot usually have that on shoestring budget.   If bouncing on a trampoline is your idea of the good life . . . more power to you.  :)

Me?  I'd prefer to be wind-surfing in Maui.  8)

x2!

i have a $300 bike and put about 50-100 miles on it per week depending on free time and activities. last summer i was riding about 30 miles per day. not for exercise, just for transportation to and from work and to the gym and back. after a couple months of doing that i got in my car to drive it for the first time and my stomach was churning with feelings of guilt as i polluted the planet and wasted precious resources.   ;D  my town has a very nice bike path with grass and trees on each side of it going through the middle of town, from one end to the other, about 6 miles long (12 miles round trip) that i use whenever i go anywhere. it goes through all the major cross streets so no matter where im going i have an exit to get off of. love riding my bike. thats one of my favortie things to do. put on my ipod and sing while riding, or just go without any music and listen to the beautiful silence and admire whatever the time of the day has to offer in terms of scenery. do some of my best thinking while out on my bike. doesnt cost a thing.

didn't you need new bike tires after riding it 30 miles a day?
TEAM Nasser