Author Topic: 2011 "Political Photo of the Year"  (Read 2095 times)

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
2011 "Political Photo of the Year"
« on: February 28, 2012, 01:28:36 PM »
The White House News Photographers Association holds an annual competition called "Eyes on History".

"Fist of Support" won POLITICAL PHOTO OF THE YEAR.

Washington Times photographer Andrew Harnik has won four first-place awards in the White House News Photographers Association’s annual “Eyes of History” competition and finished second overall, losing the Photographer of the Year award only on a tiebreaker.

Mr. Harnik led the “Insiders Washington” category for “Fist of Support” — his striking image of Republican presidential hopeful Rep. Ron Paul, the frame dominated by an American flag and punctuated by a lone, powerful fist. The image also has been named “Political Photo of the Year.”

“Ron Paul was speaking at the Iowa State Fair last December, with a row of very enthusiastic military vets behind him. Ron Paul was looking very ‘Ron Paul,’ and most everything he said was well received,” Mr, Harnik recalled.

“My photo editor, Joe Eddins, sent me to Iowa with a simple instruction. ‘Make something different,’ he told me. So I was in the back of the hall, ,gazing at this huge flag, watching the crowd go nuts. I waited to see what would happen,” Mr. Harnik continued. “Then after some particularly loud applause, when things died down one vet’s forearm shot up. His fist was clenched, in the old ‘right on’ signal. It was just for a second. And that was the shot.”

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
Re: 2011 "Political Photo of the Year"
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 01:30:42 PM »
Someone gave a pretty cool analysis.

This photo is a perfect metaphor for the current media portrayal of Ron Paul's campaign for the Republican nomination. Overpowering the shot we have the American flag and all it represents, the oversized, bloated, overreaching, overbearing Federal Government. At the very bottom, we have Ron Paul's head decapitated but refusing to pipe down and still forming words. We can almost hear him saying "Liberty unites us!" Next to him a small fist, begging the question, whose hand is that? What is underneath the flag? WHAT IS HIDDEN FROM US??

We have to do our own investigation to find the important information that we need because it certainly will not be apparent in any media approved portrayal of Ron Paul. Well, we discover that, hidden from view and seated with Ron Paul on the stage is a row of US Military veterans supporting Ron Paul. Why aren't they in the shot? Why wouldn't a shot of Ron Paul in front of a flag surrounded by US Military veteran supporters win any awards? Great shot of a hidden message trying to punch through.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 01:32:37 PM »
Photo of the year.   

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 01:36:24 PM »

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 02:57:41 PM »
Anybody have the latest numbers on what RP has raised this far?

Barry's a money raising machine  - very problematic.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 04:55:23 PM »
l

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 05:43:53 PM »
l
Luke, the emperor, and Darth Vader.

Paul - I am your father, join us, and together, we can control the United States!

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 06:03:10 PM »
I keep see all this supposed "military vet" support for RP...who exactly?  The events that have been for vets have all attracted disgruntled dirtbags or phonies. Then you site data on contributions...yeah anybody can say they're a vet or work for the DOD. I'm not buying it. There are few if any bumper stickers for RP on my Post or near it. U see old McCain ones and the occasional Obama..thats about it. Its kinda like how the Left tried to make believe we loved Obama in 2008. The cuts to the military are coming hard. They're changing policies and regs that nobody who enlisted after 2001 has ever had to deal with and its coming as a shock to them. No more fatbodies, no more transgressions of any kind. These people are all worried about their jobs....nobody doing that is going to vote for Paul. Thats the cold hard fact.  And putting our national security in the hands of a guy who claims that his national security experience stems from his military service, which was as an OB/GYN Air Force doctor in the 60s is immature, at the least. Especially from the same people who think that being a fighter pilot in the Texas National Guard is a joke. Here are some pics....we have vets here, pic em apart.
L

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 01:06:15 AM »
HH6... You shock me at times.  I can't believe what an absolute fucktwit you can be sometimes.  Who are you to question their service?  You don't know them.  You will call a vet a disgruntled dirtbag or phonie without even talking to them?  I guess I'm one of the phonies ::)

I guess you can call them disgruntled with the direction of the country and use of our military to police the world but that doesn't make anyone a dirtbag or phonie.  It's not dishonorable for a vet to think that the president should only send troops in as the absolute last option and only when the danger to America is clear.  Well that sure in the fuck doesn't happen anymore.

Looking at the Vet march on DC for Paul, most of them look pretty normal to me.  Yet you make it sound like they're a bunch of hippie traitors or something ::)

You're going to call out Vets for supporting a Republican, dude, Obama got 44% of the military vote.  I bet you didn't see a lot of Obama bumperstickers on base either.  Based on what you think of Obama, why don't you call almost half of the entire military phonies and disgruntled dirtbags ::)

Freeborn126

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 03:52:58 AM »
HH6... You shock me at times.  I can't believe what an absolute fucktwit you can be sometimes.  Who are you to question their service?  You don't know them.  You will call a vet a disgruntled dirtbag or phonie without even talking to them?  I guess I'm one of the phonies ::)

I guess you can call them disgruntled with the direction of the country and use of our military to police the world but that doesn't make anyone a dirtbag or phonie.  It's not dishonorable for a vet to think that the president should only send troops in as the absolute last option and only when the danger to America is clear.  Well that sure in the fuck doesn't happen anymore.

Looking at the Vet march on DC for Paul, most of them look pretty normal to me.  Yet you make it sound like they're a bunch of hippie traitors or something ::)

You're going to call out Vets for supporting a Republican, dude, Obama got 44% of the military vote.  I bet you didn't see a lot of Obama bumperstickers on base either.  Based on what you think of Obama, why don't you call almost half of the entire military phonies and disgruntled dirtbags ::)

Amazing that a simple message of Liberty and fidelity to the Constitution irritates some one so much even though he took an oath to support and defend it.

Live free or die

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 06:39:02 AM »
Amazing that a simple message of Liberty and fidelity to the Constitution irritates some one so much even though he took an oath to support and defend it.

the irony....

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 02:14:36 PM »
There are few if any bumper stickers for RP on my Post or near it. U see old McCain ones and

Yeah, I haven't seen any RP stickers on base that I remember.  I know there's a couple of his fans that I talk to who are Marines, but mostly Obama or McCain stickers...even some old Bush stickers.  No Romney stickers either, lol.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 02:41:47 PM »

Yeah, I haven't seen any RP stickers on base that I remember.  I know there's a couple of his fans that I talk to who are Marines, but mostly Obama or McCain stickers...even some old Bush stickers.  No Romney stickers either, lol.
You can't disagree, it's probably not the brightest idea to parade your support for Paul on base...  That doesn't mean they are not there.  Paul does pretty well in military donations...  That isn't just made up from fantasy land.  I voted for Clinton while I was serving, I sure in the fuck didn't advertise that on base lol...  Paul would be even more controversial of a vote.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 02:47:50 PM »
I keep see all this supposed "military vet" support for RP...who exactly?  The events that have been for vets have all attracted disgruntled dirtbags or phonies. Then you site data on contributions...yeah anybody can say they're a vet or work for the DOD. I'm not buying it. There are few if any bumper stickers for RP on my Post or near it. U see old McCain ones and the occasional Obama..thats about it. Its kinda like how the Left tried to make believe we loved Obama in 2008. The cuts to the military are coming hard. They're changing policies and regs that nobody who enlisted after 2001 has ever had to deal with and its coming as a shock to them. No more fatbodies, no more transgressions of any kind. These people are all worried about their jobs....nobody doing that is going to vote for Paul. Thats the cold hard fact.  And putting our national security in the hands of a guy who claims that his national security experience stems from his military service, which was as an OB/GYN Air Force doctor in the 60s is immature, at the least. Especially from the same people who think that being a fighter pilot in the Texas National Guard is a joke. Here are some pics....we have vets here, pic em apart.
Ill never understand those fuckers show up to events in half-ass Cammies.
The pins irritate me even more. All that shit all over their cammies make them look like idiots.
Either wear your uniform with dignity, or dont put it on.
Thats why you have DRESS uniforms, so you dont look like some disgruntled homeless wannabe jackass.

Just my .02.

Doesnt make them any less vets though, just vets that dont respect their uniforms.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 02:50:01 PM »
You can't disagree, it's probably not the brightest idea to parade your support for Paul on base...  That doesn't mean they are not there.  Paul does pretty well in military donations...  That isn't just made up from fantasy land.  I voted for Clinton while I was serving, I sure in the fuck didn't advertise that on base lol...  Paul would be even more controversial of a vote.

True, when you work for others you want to be careful about office politics.  We've also got all kinds of rules and guidelines on what can be said and done while on duty, off duty, etc.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2012, 02:52:17 PM »

I'm getting ready for my forth combat deployment.....so if I choose to call somebody disgruntled or a dirtbag it comes from a boatload of experience. I didn't just post that crap out of the blue. I work very closing with alot of guys from the milblogsphere and the guy who took those pics is a friend. There were 1000 people at that rally. 500 or so were "vets". The other's were civilian supporters. The guys who had deployed were few and far between. Then you had the dudes who were fakes. Its gotten soooo bad that when somebody comes up to me and says they served....my default reaction is bullshit. First off nobody is ever a turret mechanic or a clerk/typist (S1 puke) They're all rangers or now SEALS as thats pretty popular. I will dispute RP support just as I dispute 44% of the mili vote. I can safely say that I know one white person who voted for him....much like evrything else on this forum, I'm telling what I see. My NCOIC is a RP supporter. I tell him he's nuts....thats the only guy I know.

L

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2012, 03:39:09 PM »
I'm getting ready for my forth combat deployment.....so if I choose to call somebody disgruntled or a dirtbag it comes from a boatload of experience. I didn't just post that crap out of the blue. I work very closing with alot of guys from the milblogsphere and the guy who took those pics is a friend. There were 1000 people at that rally. 500 or so were "vets". The other's were civilian supporters. The guys who had deployed were few and far between. Then you had the dudes who were fakes. Its gotten soooo bad that when somebody comes up to me and says they served....my default reaction is bullshit. First off nobody is ever a turret mechanic or a clerk/typist (S1 puke) They're all rangers or now SEALS as thats pretty popular. I will dispute RP support just as I dispute 44% of the mili vote. I can safely say that I know one white person who voted for him....much like evrything else on this forum, I'm telling what I see. My NCOIC is a RP supporter. I tell him he's nuts....thats the only guy I know.
First of all, you already know I respect your service and all the shit you do.  I know you keep going in for more and we ALL owe you and everyone LIKE you.  I will support that until the day I die.

The numbers of vets you reported showing up in DC is not different than what was actually reported.  There was no claims made of massive numbers at that rally for Paul.

But honestly, it's not cool for you to call these people dirtbags and fakes.  You really don't know them or what their service is.  For you to make a blanket statement like that, YES, I will call you out on that.  And I think you know it's wrong.  I would never do that on assumption toward vets.

As far as your opinion on who voted for Obama, I guess you'll have to place that on the CT Board since it's a theory contrary to recorded fact. Welcome to the club lol...

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2012, 04:19:07 PM »

LOL, you mean like EVERY, SINGLE, PERSON, that fakes being a Marine is "Force Recon"?
I love to ask those guys, oh, so you were Battalion Force Recon? Thats badass!
"Yeah man, Battalion Force Recon."
Then the follow up, "what was your MOS?"
Stumble.... "I was listed as cook, but it was just my cover MOS cause no one could no I was Force Recon."
Then I ask - How was BRC?
"B R what?"
You know, BRC. Recon School.
"Oh man, it was so tough, we went to school with the Green Berets and stuff, it was so hardcore"

Most of them cant even figure out that Battalion and Force are 2 different Units, let alone answer what BRC is.
The above was an actual convo I had with someone I was at a party with when I was younger..

Epic fail.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2012, 04:21:12 PM »

Aren't you the guy that caught lying about being in the military and not getting his paychecks? I'll give you credit for having the balls to hang around here after HH6 outed you on that.

I think someone that's about to do his fourth deployment in Iraq/Afghanistan can say whatever the fuck he wants about Ron Paul and the Constitution.  ::)