Author Topic: Obama: "My apology to Afghanistan about the Koran burning calmed it down".  (Read 1186 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage

Keep up the good work, Usurper.  ::)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Obama is getting worse as time goes on, as hard as that is to. Believe. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Will Obama hand over Koran-burning soldiers to Islamic court?
The US Report ^ | Feb. 29, 2012 | Chris Carter
Posted on February 29, 2012 11:44:11 PM EST by FatMax

An Afghan government website has reported that NATO officials have promised to bring the American soldiers responsible for burning the Koran to justice in an open trial.

The website of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan Government Media and Information Center (an official government site) states: "NATO officials promised to meet Afghan nation’s [sic] demand of bringing to justice, through an open trial, those responsible for the incident and it was agreed that the perpetrators of the crime be brought to justice as soon as possible."

If this is true, and we do not know yet if it is, handing over US servicemembers to a sharia court in Afghanistan could be one of the most unconscionable acts ever conducted by our government.

Obama reportedly sent a three-page letter to Afghan president Hamid Karzai, but the White House won't fully disclose the letter. A small portion of Obama's letter - suspiciously (and perhaps deliberately) ambiguous - is floating around stating "We will take the appropriate steps to avoid any recurrence, to include holding accountable those responsible."

What does the president mean, holding the soldiers accountable to military law? They didn't do anything wrong. If they did, show us what code they violated. Or does he mean sharia law? Desecrating the Koran, especially by non-Muslims could result in the death penalty. But American soldiers are held only to US law, not Islamic law. Besides, depending on what jurist you talk to, burning of Korans is entirely permissible if the books are damaged - which the Korans in question were, at the hands of Muslims.

Of course, the White House and Pentagon are not answering questions. But this is nothing new for the president who proclaims...

(Excerpt) Read more at theusreport.com ...

Emmortal

• Getbig V
2 more NATO soldiers killed this morning.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
....Two NATO soldiers "killed by Afghan soldier, civilian"
By Michael Georgy | Reuters – 1 hr 53 mins ago....Email

Article: U.N. in Afghanistan says Koran burners should be punished

10 photos - Tue, Feb 28, 2012...See latest photos »....KABUL (Reuters) - Two NATO soldiers were shot dead on Thursday by two Afghans, including a man believed to be a soldier, NATO said, an attack that is likely to raise further questions about the future of the country's struggling security forces.

The killings in south Afghanistan came after two senior U.S. officers were gunned down in the heart of Afghanistan's Interior Ministry on Saturday by what Afghan security officials say was a police intelligence official.

That attack stunned NATO and cast doubt on its strategy of replacing large combat units with advisers as the alliance tries to wind down the war, now in its eleventh year.

NATO immediately moved to withdraw all its advisers from Afghan ministries in Kabul, followed by Britain, Germany and Canada.

The Obama administration will not swerve from plans to move into an advisory role in Afghanistan, U.S. officials say. But Afghan officials worry that further attacks by Afghan forces on Western troops could damage ties with NATO.

At least five NATO soldiers have been killed by Afghan security forces since the burning of copies of the Koran at a NATO base last month triggered widespread protests.

According to the U.S. Pentagon, around 70 members of the NATO force were killed in 42 insider attacks from May 2007 through January 2012.

These incidents have become more frequent after the United States sent tens of thousands of more soldiers to Afghanistan as part of a surge to fight in Taliban strongholds.

"There are Taliban sympathizers in uniform inside Afghan security forces who are not in fact sent or recruited by the Taliban," said an Afghan government official, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

"Despite tighter vetting procedures, such unfortunate incidents do occur. This problem will not go away. We need more time, more resources and manpower."

Some of Washington's partners have shown even greater sensitivity to insider attacks. In January, French President Nicolas Sarkozy suspended training and support operations and announced that France would withdraw entirely by the end of 2013 after four French troops were killed by a rogue Afghan soldier.

The United States hopes Afghan forces will be able to confront the Taliban and handle security on their own before NATO combat troops' scheduled departure by the end of 2014.

Insider attacks on NATO troops have deepened doubts about their commitment and effectiveness.

"Unfortunately, this situation is a point of concern for us," General Afzal Aman, head of the operations department at the Ministry of Defense, told Reuters.

(Additional reporting by Mirwais Harooni and Hamid Shalizi; Editing by Nick Macfie)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Afghan Troops Again Turn Guns on U.S. (2 more killed after Obama brags he "calmed things down")
CBS News ^ | Thursday, March 1, 2012

(CBS News) KABUL - Two U.S. troops have (sic) were shot dead by three Afghan gunmen Thursday at their base in the southern Kandahar province, and two of the three shooters were Afghan National Army soldiers - another blow to a U.S. strategy pinned on direct partnership with Afghan forces.

The two Afghan troops who opened fire were killed by U.S. troops, and a third shooter, a teacher at the joint U.S.-Afghan base, was wounded.

SNIP

From last night:

(AP) -- President Barack Obama says his apology to Afghan President Hamid Karzai (HAH'-mihd KAHR'-zeye) after U.S. forces accidentally burned Muslim Qurans has "calmed things down."

But Obama tells ABC News that "we're not out of the woods yet."

(Excerpt) Read more at cbsnews.com ...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Afghans: Quran-burning soldiers to face trial
Says NATO agreed to bring to justice 'those responsible for incident'

By Jack Minor

In a development that could chill the dedication of every soldier in the field, the U.S. government has refused to deny reports by the government of Afghanistan that NATO has agreed to have the soldiers who burned copies of the Quran face trial.

Ads by GoogleA 9mm is False Protection
Discover What Survivalist Masters & The Army Don't Want You To Know
www.CloseCombatTraining. comIntroducing Galaxy Nexus
The first phone with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. Learn More.
google.com/nexusLast week, Afghan president Hamid Karzai demanded NATO turn over the U.S. troops to be tried in Afghanistan. President Obama subsequently sent a letter to Karzai reassuring him that the troops involved would be punished for their actions.

Part of the three-page letter to Karzai said, “I extend to you and the Afghan people my sincere apologies. We will take the appropriate steps to avoid any recurrence, to include holding accountable those responsible.”

It is unclear exactly what Obama meant by that statement as the White House has not released the full text of the letter. However, the Afghan government may have provided insight into its contents.

Over the weekend, the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan government media and information center website posted a joint statement by the delegations assigned to probe the Quran burning incident.

The statement says that two delegations were created to “investigate the circumstances and causes that have led to the inhumane incident.”

The statement listed several items, including a demand that the U.S. turn over the authority of the prison in Bagram to the Afghan government to ensure similar incidents do not recur and “calls on the U.S. government to fully and comprehensively cooperate to this end.”

However, the statement used vastly different language when discussing the fate of the U.S. soldiers involved in the incident.

“NATO officials promised to meet Afghan nation’s demand of bringing to justice, through an open trial, those responsible for the incident and it was agreed that the perpetrators of the crime be brought to justice as soon as possible,” the statement said.

The wording suggests members of the military could be handed over to an Afghan system that imposes Shariah-related penalties.

U.S officials were unwilling to state emphatically that the soldiers would not be turned over to the Afghan legal system for burning the Qurans.

Cmdr. William Speakes, a spokesman for the Pentagon said, “It would be premature to speculate at any potential outcomes. Any disciplinary action if deemed warranted will be taken by U.S. authorities after a thorough review of the facts pursuant to all U.S. military law and regulations and in accordance with due process. We have made no commitments beyond that.”

When asked if that meant the only commitment officials were willing to make was the soldiers would not be tried in an Afghan court, Speakes said, “No. The only commitment we have made is that we will take any appropriate disciplinary action deemed necessary by the investigation. Any suggestions that we have made more detailed commitments beyond what I just told you is inaccurate.”

Although the statements apparently were made by the Afghan government Feb. 25, they have received no mention in the mainstream media.

Clare Lopez, a senior fellow with the Center for Security Policy, said if the statement by the Afghan government turns out to be true, it would be an unprecedented betrayal of our men and women in uniform.

“I can’t imagine we would ever do this, what would we charge them with? Are we going to try Americans for crimes committed under Shariah law? I cannot believe our government would go that far,” she said.

Robert Spencer, founder of Jihad Watch, said it was fascinating that the U.S. government has not gotten out in front of this issue and denied the statement.

“The administration needs to clarify their stance on this. The longer they wait to deny this the more it has the opportunity to further inflame the Muslim in Afghanistan.”

Spencer said that whether the soldiers end up being turned over to the Afghan government or face court-martial, either decision would set a dangerous precedent.

“It would be unconscionable either way,” he said. “If they turn them over to the Afghan government for trial then we are endorsing the applicability of Shariah law to non-Muslims in the U.S. military. If they court-martial them then they are adopting those norms as part of the UCMJ. Either way it’s frightening.”

Lopez said that while U.S. officials have made large concessions to appease Muslims, turning the soldiers over to face trial would be over the line.

“If they were to allow our soldiers to be tried under a legal system that calls for the death penalty for destroying a Quran, that would be unthinkable,” she said.

She said that the silence on the part of U.S. officials has the potential to cause real damage to the morale of troops.

“When the government will not come out with a strong denial of this statement by the Afghan government it has the potential to cause our troops to wonder if the U.S. will truly stand behind and protect them when they are simply trying to do their job,” she said.

It appears that the soldiers may not have violated Islamic law at all by their burning of the Qurans.

In a PBS interview, Imam Jihad Turk, director of religious affairs at the Islamic Center of Southern California, said it was acceptable to burn the Quran if it was in a state of “disrepair.”

“When Muslims want to respectfully dispose of a text of the Quran that is no longer usable, we will burn it. So if someone, for example, in their own private collection or library had a text of the Quran that was damaged or that was in disrepair, so the binding was ruined, etc., or it got torn, they might bring it by to the Islamic Center and ask that someone here dispose of it properly if they were unsure how to do that,” Turk said. “And what I’ll do is I’ll take it to my fireplace at home and burn it there in the fireplace. So I sort of take the pages out and then burn it to make sure that it gets thoroughly charred and is no longer recognizable as script.”

Spencer added, “You are supposed to burn a Quran that is worn out and you are not to write in it. Do they have a problem with the burning of the Quran? No, they do it all the time.”

Freeborn126

• Getbig III
Why the f*ck are we still in Afghanistan?  This is getting absolutely ridiculous.  Perfect example of blow back, people don't want some one occupying their country anymore than we would want some one to occupy ours.

This is why we have special ops and CIA.  Why are we still using regular troops to occupy and nation build this shithole? 
Live free or die

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
US soldiers killed despite Obama Koran apology
uktelegraph ^ | 3.1.12

An Afghan soldier and a literacy teacher opened fire on US forces yesterday morning in the latest incident of local troops turning their arms against their Nato allies.

The shooting means that of the 60 international troops killed this year, one in five has died at the hands of Afghan forces.

A total of six Americans and more than 30 Afghans have now been killed since the US admitted last week that it accidentally incinerated copies of the Islamic holy book at Bagram airfield.

Despite public apologies from both Mr Obama and General John Allen, the commander of international forces in Afghanistan, the violence has continued.

(Excerpt) Read more at telegraph.co.uk ...

Skip8282

• Getbig V
US soldiers killed despite Obama Koran apology
uktelegraph ^ | 3.1.12

An Afghan soldier and a literacy teacher opened fire on US forces yesterday morning in the latest incident of local troops turning their arms against their Nato allies.

The shooting means that of the 60 international troops killed this year, one in five has died at the hands of Afghan forces.

A total of six Americans and more than 30 Afghans have now been killed since the US admitted last week that it accidentally incinerated copies of the Islamic holy book at Bagram airfield.

Despite public apologies from both Mr Obama and General John Allen, the commander of international forces in Afghanistan, the violence has continued.

(Excerpt) Read more at telegraph.co.uk ...

Fucking 3rd world vermin.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
45 or so days to go......
L

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
45 or so days to go......

Take a massive dump on a Koran - PPPPPPPLLLLLLLEEEEEEEAAA ASSSSSEEEEEEE

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
I am no longer allowed to have a Koran....brand new centcom policy. Oh and the official Afghan media website is reporting that we have agreed to hand over those responsible to the Afghans. Obama said he'd hold those responsible to the law in his apology. First off......never ever ever gonna happen. Second there is ZERO ZERO ZERO regs on burning a Koran in the UCMJ. Plus they didn't do anything wrong.....ordered to destroy based on OPSEC violations by the prisoners. I can guarantee there is a detention reg that deals with note passing, banned communication etc and what to do with the physical material.
L

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Dear God!   

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
Yup.......I can honestly say that I would shoot my way out if they came for me...and I think I'd have alot of help.
L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
If their chains of command were smart they'd get the entire crew involved out of Afghanistan right now. Leave, emergency leave.....whatever. Get them on a bird to Krgystan and then home.
L

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
If their chains of command were smart they'd get the entire crew involved out of Afghanistan right now. Leave, emergency leave.....whatever. Get them on a bird to Krgystan and then home.

I have zero doubt in my mind slumbama would turn over these guys in a heartbeat.   

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Source: Talking Points Memo

On CNN's State of the Union, Ron Paul said he doesn't think there's anything wrong with an apology that might calm things down. "I don't think it wrong, but it's pretty much irrelevant. But I think Republicans who are condemning it are a little bit over the top too."

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
White House Won't Say What Will Happen to Troops Who Burned Korans
CNSNEWS ^ | March 8, 2012 | Fred Lucas
Posted on March 9, 2012 6:51:45 PM EST by yoe

In the face of Afghan President Hamid Karzai's call for the U.S. troops who burned Korans to be tried and punished, the White House won't say what will happen to those troops.

Connie Lawn with IRN/USA Radio Network asked White House Press Secretary Jay Carney, “Did Karzai ever express condolences for the British soldiers killed and did he explicitly apologize for the American soldiers who were killed? And what does the White House want to see done with these Americans who burned the Korans?”

“I think there is an investigation into that,” Carney responded. “You surely understand that I would not make any statements about the disposition of that investigation or how it should turn out. Secondly, I don’t have any more detail for you on the call the president had with President Karzai. I would point you to statements by Minister Wardak about the incidents and his expressions of regret,” Carney said referring to Afghanistan Defense Minister General Abdul Rahim Wardak

The Korans were mistakenly burned on Bagram Air Force Base.

(Excerpt) Read more at cnsnews.com ...

Skip8282

• Getbig V

I have zero doubt in my mind slumbama would turn over these guys in a heartbeat.   

No way...no how.