Author Topic: Some "Food" For Thought  (Read 1799 times)

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
Some "Food" For Thought
« on: March 06, 2012, 01:53:40 PM »
Was talking to Montague about the nutrition board today,just wanted to post some of my thoughts regarding supplements.

I`ve been training for decades, and when I was younger,I literally spent thousands over the years on supplements that basically did jackshit for me except to make my wallet lose weight.

Don`t get me wrong,some supps are time tested and actually work.....things like:
Vitamins
Minerals
Protein Powder
Creatine  (for most people)

And a few others,are fine,but the bottom line is that if you aren`t eating correctly,all the supplements in the world aren`t going to help you build a good physique.

Almost every week at my gym,I get a kid who asks me what supps I take and if I think he should try Gakic,Creatine,Vitargo,Etc. etc. etc.

My answer to these guys are,"hows your diet looking" ?

Most will then proceed to tell me how good they eat,when in reality,they are eating nowhere near the amount or kinds of foods that it takes to make even one iota of progress.

My message to you is to not fall into the same trap.................eat 5-6 times a day,eat every few hours,eat protein,followed by good clean carbs,with minimal fat and lay off the junkfood!!

Remember,all supplement companies make all of their products sound like they are the next big thing that`s gonna` propell you into the pro ranks of bodybuilding or add 50 pounds to your bench press.

Get your diet in order first,then make careful thought out decisions about which supps to buy.

I also trained with a guy who ate two meals,and drank 7 whey protein shakes......he was supplementing his supplements with food,instead of the other way around.

If you aren`t eating correctly for your goals,no amount of pills or powders can or will make up for the lack of good high quality foods.

As I said,some are good,the companies make them all sound great so you`ll buy them,and some are just useless snakeoil.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Re: Some "Food" For Thought
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 02:08:24 PM »
Too many questions/posts on this board regarding useless crap that company push on you with fancy marketing.

Discuss!

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 02:39:20 PM »
Too many people are looking for the easy way out and don't want to hear the truth.
:

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 03:56:55 PM »
Too many people are looking for the easy way out and don't want to hear the truth.
That`s for sure....no magic bullets if you want to get into good shape.  ;)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 04:19:48 PM »
Wes:
All good points.
I agree that (too) many OTC supplements on the market today are pretty useless for impacting one’s physique, and the ones that do yield an amount of results that may take several months to even begin noticing - and that‘s IF everything else in your diet and training are bang on.

We’ve had plenty of threads such as, “What’s in Your Supplement Cupboard,” etc. I just took a look back at some of them. Many of the veteran posters have a great deal of overlap regarding what supps they consistently use, which often looks something like this:

Whey
Multi-vitamin
Fish Oil
Creatine

Some other products have worked their way into the mix like Vit D-3, Glucosamine, and BCAA’s. I don’t know that it’s even worth discussing pre-workout formulas. Insofar as the push they give, it’s nothing beyond what simple coffee or caffeine pills could provide. DMMA may be the exception, but there’s some debate over its safety lately.   

Many of the supplements I use, such as Zinc, vit D-3 and Melatonin, aren’t even classified as “muscle-builders.” I use them because they support healthy bodily functioning like recovery, immune system health, etc. Other products I use, like creatine and BCAA’s, help synthesize protein, the majority of which I derive from chicken, beef, turkey, eggs, and dairy.
It’s useless to take even something like creatine unless you’re following a good diet. Too many people think you can simply buy health and muscles. A little bit of background knowledge would help them get so much more out of their time spent in the gym and the money spent on nutrition.

newmom

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 04:21:30 PM »
I'm on this soy milk kick right now..Only calcium I get is from  greek yogurt because I hate cheese and don't really eat cereal. Tired of calcium vitamins..blah

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 05:35:38 PM »
I used to get a lot of colds in the winter time and ever since I started supplementing with vitamin c at about 3 gms a day they completely stopped. Definately a noticeable immune boost for me.

.....No one feels good at the gym with a runny nose  ;D

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 05:55:07 PM »
Good input from everybody.

Monty,I hope I didn`t offend you when I said this board needed some good info....it wasn`t my intention to be a jerk,I try to be stupid on the G+O only.....sadly,sometimes I fail !  :D

Anyway,before buying a ton of supps,I think most people should get their diet in order first.

Another gripe of mine concerning nutrition is the post-workout "anabolic window".......more people rush to drink a shake in a certain amount of allotted time dictated by some magazine,when this meal is about the only one they actually fret over,as if this one counts more because a magazine said it does (just to boost protein powder sales for the most part).

Eat good at every meal.......then worry about the minutia,then if you feel like it,go out and blow 3-4 hundred bucks on Vanadyl Sulfate...........IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 06:01:46 PM »
Monty,I hope I didn`t offend you when I said this board needed some good info...

No offense taken.
I was just a bit perplexed by a post from a guy who is generally positive about training and nutrition discussions. ;)

And, I agree with your points above.

Oly15

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 06:57:35 PM »
Quality post wes.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 07:02:54 PM »
Quality post wes.
Thanks bro.  ;)

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 07:05:13 PM »

No offense taken.
I was just a bit perplexed by a post from a guy who is generally positive about training and nutrition discussions. ;)

And, I agree with your points above.
Well,you gotta` give me a couple of points as my original disparaging remark was a "X 2" in agreement with another posters opinion that the board was not up to par.

<* epic backpeddling on my part *>   ;)

Iceman1981

• Getbig V
  • www.LegendsOfBodybuilding.com
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 08:40:51 PM »
What's your opinion on creatine? Do you think it will effect the kidneys in the long run. I haven't used it in years. Also supplements for the immune system is great such as Vitamin D3, Vitamin C, Zinc, Magnesium, omega 3's.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 06:17:39 AM »
What's your opinion on creatine? Do you think it will effect the kidneys in the long run. I haven't used it in years. Also supplements for the immune system is great such as Vitamin D3, Vitamin C, Zinc, Magnesium, omega 3's.
Those supps are great........time tested.........the body needs vitamins/minerals,but hardly needs a supp like Gakic for instance......all hype to make more money for companies that are already filthy rich from selling these hyped up supps that are not needed by most if anyone.

As far as Creatine hurting peoples kidneys,never seemed to bother me in the least.

Iceman1981

• Getbig V
  • www.LegendsOfBodybuilding.com
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 10:40:18 AM »
Those supps are great........time tested.........the body needs vitamins/minerals,but hardly needs a supp like Gakic for instance......all hype to make more money for companies that are already filthy rich from selling these hyped up supps that are not needed by most if anyone.

As far as Creatine hurting peoples kidneys,never seemed to bother me in the least.

Thanks. Do you have a good cycle for creatine and which form of creatine do you think is the best?

Edit: I read the creatine sticky thread and I'll probably go with Micronized Creatine Monohydrate.

d0nny2600

• Getbig V
  • http://i.imgur.com/mCzI3N5.jpg
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 10:42:29 AM »
Wes as usual bringing quality, positive attitude and good knowledge.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 02:15:04 PM »
Thanks. Do you have a good cycle for creatine and which form of creatine do you think is the best?

Edit: I read the creatine sticky thread and I'll probably go with Micronized Creatine Monohydrate.
I`ve always just used pure Creatine Monohydrate.....no loading needed IMO.

Took 5 mgs. before training mixed with whey in water,then another 5 mgs. with whey and water post-workout.

I train very early and have no desire to eat solid food at that time,so I opt for the shakes pre and post training.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 02:16:19 PM »
Wes as usual bringing quality, positive attitude and good knowledge.
Thanks bro,just trying to point out that there are so many supplement threads here and that we should all get our diets in order before we even bother with supps.  ;)

d0nny2600

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 02:51:15 PM »
Thanks bro,just trying to point out that there are so many supplement threads here and that we should all get our diets in order before we even bother with supps.  ;)
What does your diet look like these days Wes?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 03:08:27 PM »
Wes has posted his diet in his thread on the Training Log board, which is also quite worth checking out: http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=402381.msg5737103#msg5737103

d0nny2600

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2012, 03:20:09 PM »
Wes has posted his diet in his thread on the Training Log board, which is also quite worth checking out: http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=402381.msg5737103#msg5737103
Thanks!