Author Topic: Obama Digs In: 'Personally Lobbying Democrats to Reject' Keystone Pipeline  (Read 2800 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Obama Digs In: 'Personally Lobbying Democrats to Reject' Keystone Pipeline (Senate to Vote Today)
The Weekly Standard ^ | March 8, 2012 | Daniel Halper

President Obama is digging in on the Keystone XL pipeline. He is "personally lobbying Democrats to reject an amendment calling for its construction," Politico reports.

The White House lobbying effort, including phone calls from the president to Democrats, signals that the vote could be close when it heads to the floor Thursday. The president is trying to defeat an amendment that would give election-year fodder to his Republican critics who have accused him of blocking a job-creating energy project at a time of high gas prices.

The amendment, proposed by Sen. John Hoeven (R-N.D.), states that Obama would have no role in such cross-border permitting decisions since, in this case, the pipeline would originate in Canada. The measure would need 60 votes to pass, and Obama has already lost two Democrats who back the proposal - Sens. Joe Manchin of West Virginia and Mary Landrieu - and is at risk of losing more moderates and vulnerable Democrats.

The Keystone XL pipeline would create an estimated 20,000 jobs and, likely, drive down the price of gasoline in the long run. It would seem to be a good move at a time of high unemployment and high gas prices.

And, in fact, most Americans like the idea of the Keystone pipeline. According to a November poll, of likely U.S. voters, 60 percent "at least somewhat favor building the pipeline which President Obama has delayed until at least 2013 because of environmental concerns."

tonymctones

• Getbig V
This is one of obamas ace in the holes for his re-election you better believe if he feels his ass might lose he will sign this through. Hopefully they get this through, this doesn't need to be a political tool like the majority of obamas actions

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
This is one of obamas ace in the holes for his re-election you better believe if he feels his ass might lose he will sign this through. Hopefully they get this through, this doesn't need to be a political tool like the majority of obamas actions

Don't worry - obama has a plan to lower gas prices - its just that we need to re-elect him first to find out about it and he will tell us later.   

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Senate Keystone vote expected to be close; Obama lobbying Democrats (Go on the record Rats!)
CNN ^ | 3/8/2012 | Ted Barrett and Dana Bash

A razor close vote is expected in the Senate Thursday on a Republican amendment to bypass the Obama administration's objections and approve the Keystone XL pipeline, Senate aides from both parties told CNN. Democratic aides, however, expressed some optimism the provision would be defeated.

President Obama lobbied wavering Democrats by phone to shore up Democratic support for his position, a senior Democratic source told CNN. It could be embarrassing for the White House if a large number of Democrats voted to overturn the administration's Keystone policy, which has been hotly debated as gas prices continue to rise during this election year. Several Democrats, including moderates up for re-election and those from oil producing states, support the Keystone pipeline but are torn whether to split with the president.

(Excerpt) Read more at politicalticker.blogs.cn n.com ...

This communist rat loves $8 a gallon gas.   

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Senate rejects move to fast-track Keystone

Democratic leadership squeaked out a 56-42 vote. | John Shinkle/POLITICO

By ERICA MARTINSON | 3/8/12 4:41 PM EST

The Senate on Thursday rejected an attempt to fast-track the Keystone XL pipeline — barely.

The White House and Democratic leadership squeaked out a 56-42 vote on an amendment to the Senate’s highway bill, winning only because 60 votes were needed for passage.

Continue Reading Text Size

-+reset Listen President Barack Obama had personally lobbied Democrats with phone calls urging them to oppose the measure, as Republicans continue to push the pipeline as a job-creating project needed in these days of high gasoline prices.

(Also on POLITICO: Members of Congress: This job sucks)

Eleven Democratic senators crossed party lines to support the amendment: Max Baucus of Montana, Mark Begich of Alaska, Bob Casey of Pennsylvania, Kent Conrad of North Dakota, Kay Hagan of North Carolina, Mary Landrieu of Louisiana, Joe Manchin of West Virginia, Claire McCaskill of Missouri, Mark Pryor of Arkansas, Jon Tester of Montana, and Jim Webb of Virginia.

No Republicans opposed the measure, but two senators — Mark Kirk of Illinois and John Thune of South Dakota were absent.

The amendment, proposed by Sen. John Hoeven (R-N.D.) would have approved the pipeline despite an undetermined final route through Nebraska, cutting out the State Department approval normally required for an international pipeline.

White House spokesman Jay Carney said the administration’s message is clear that it wants TransCanada to submit a proposal for a new route in Nebraska. Congress should “not waste its time with ineffectual sham legislation that has no impact on the price of gas and is irresponsible because it … tries to legislate the approval of a pipeline for which there is not even a route,” Carney said earlier Thursday.

Carney added: “We’ll keep making that point in phone calls, from the podium, maybe with a Cessna overhead."

Adam Snider contributed to this report.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0312/73795.html#ixzz1oZIPK2iX

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
Good. As it stands the pipeline's route needs to be changed. 
Abandon every hope...

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Good. As it stands the pipeline's route needs to be changed. 
oh come on, the obama mantra has been lets pass it now and figure out the details later...why not on this?

kcballer

• Getbig V
oh come on, the obama mantra has been lets pass it now and figure out the details later...why not on this?

Quite simple - the environmental impact of a leak occurring in an ecologically sensitive area.  A new route is required if it is to go through. 
Abandon every hope...

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Ummmmmmmmmmm..

to defend obama's position here - I read today that they don't konw the exact path yet, and it MAY still be leased to foreign powers for their oil.

So we don't know where it'll go, and it may be feeding the chinese, and it's a X hundred of billion $ project?

Sorry, but with that kind of unkonwns, I'd say only an idiot woudl blindly approve it.  You get "USA ONLY" written on that MFer, and you get me the exact map, THEN I approve.

33, would you approve a pipeline to run "somewhere thru NYC", which could include thru your house, and it might run directly to chinese ships?  You cool with that?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Ummmmmmmmmmm..

to defend obama's position here - I read today that they don't konw the exact path yet, and it MAY still be leased to foreign powers for their oil.

So we don't know where it'll go, and it may be feeding the chinese, and it's a X hundred of billion $ project?

Sorry, but with that kind of unkonwns, I'd say only an idiot woudl blindly approve it.  You get "USA ONLY" written on that MFer, and you get me the exact map, THEN I approve.

33, would you approve a pipeline to run "somewhere thru NYC", which could include thru your house, and it might run directly to chinese ships?  You cool with that?

Dear God 240 - speechless again at your kneepadding.   

240 is Back

• Getbig V

Dear God 240 - speechless again at your kneepadding.   

address my points, champ.

it might be chinese companies getting the oil, and they dont know the path yet. 

get that shit on paper - USA oil only, and this is the path.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
address my points, champ.

it might be chinese companies getting the oil, and they dont know the path yet. 

get that shit on paper - USA oil only, and this is the path.

Bullshit 240 - utter bullshit - this thing was approved almost 3 years ago.   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Bullshit 240 - utter bullshit - this thing was approved almost 3 years ago.   

so they know the exact path, and there's no change forein powers will get this oil?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
so they know the exact path, and there's no change forein powers will get this oil?

S T F U - Harper is already making deals for China to get the damn oil.   Do you not read? 

kcballer

• Getbig V
S T F U - Harper is already making deals for China to get the damn oil.   Do you not read? 

Haha you're such an idiot.  How is it getting there? Through a pipeline that won't be built for decades? You have ZERO understanding of the legal and environmental challenges such a project faces in Canada.  Not to mention the only party that supports it is the same one that has 39% support. 
Abandon every hope...

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
Haha you're such an idiot.  How is it getting there? Through a pipeline that won't be built for decades? You have ZERO understanding of the legal and environmental challenges such a project faces in Canada.  Not to mention the only party that supports it is the same one that has 39% support. 
I dunno how, but theyre figuring it out, as you seem to keep ignoring, its already started heading to China.

But im sure you already knew that, Mr. cant happen, wont happen, that oil isnt going anywhere.

::)

We get it, the "pipeline" may not get built, but guess what? The OIL IS STILL GOING OVERSEAS INSTEAD OF HERE (which is the fucking point).

via the controversial alternative to Keystone XL, the proposed Northern Gateway pipeline, designed to ship oilsands to Canada’s Pacific coast. According to Cenovus Energy Inc. president and chief executive officer Brian Ferguson, the company has sent its first half tanker-load of oil of roughly 250,000 barrels, to an unspecified Chinese customer.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
I dunno how, but theyre figuring it out, as you seem to keep ignoring, its already started heading to China.

But im sure you already knew that, Mr. cant happen, wont happen, that oil isnt going anywhere.

::)

We get it, the "pipeline" may not get built, but guess what? The OIL IS STILL GOING OVERSEAS INSTEAD OF HERE (which is the fucking point).

Shock we can't drill our way out of this "problem" created by the Obama administration!

Only Brazil can!

Instead of dropping the price of oil exponentially and creating thousands of jobs, we should pay more money at the pump so Brazil can drill for oil!

Don't you get it?!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Canada pulls the plug on the U.S. Keystone Pipeline – will send oil to Asia
WUWT ^  | 6/28/2014 | Anthony Watts

Posted on ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2014‎ ‎11‎:‎38‎:‎39‎ ‎PM by Signalman

Obama’s inability to make a decision on Keystone has finally yielded a result – Canada has made the decision for him.

Breitbart reports Canada has just approved the Enbridge Northern Gateway Project – a major pipeline to ship Canadian oil to Asia.

The Canadian oil will still be burnt – in Asia, instead of America.

All the jobs and energy security which Canadian oil could have delivered to America, will instead be delivered to Asia.

Rather than purchasing crude from a friendly and allied neighbor, the United States will most likely need to continue its reliance upon hostile sources like Venezuela. Energy analysts had hoped that construction of Keystone could have replaced almost half of the current U.S. daily crude purchases from that volatile, anti-American dictatorship, depriving Venezuela of the resources it relies upon to stay in power and fund its Cuban allies.

You can’t say Canada didn’t give America a chance – they waited years for the American administration to come to their senses. But in the end, they couldn’t wait any longer, and have put the interests of Canadians first.