Author Topic: Coach......you trained with Rory  (Read 7579 times)

pkaz

• Getbig III
Re: Coach......you trained with Rory
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2012, 02:54:28 PM »
Examples;

Bench 465-500 for reps of 6+

Squats 600 6-10 reps

DB curls 80-90's 10 + reps

Definitely one of the strongest bodybuilders of our day.

I watched Rory do all the above plus 80 pound one arm side lateral raises for reps, incline BB bench press 405 for reps, 225 bb curls 4 to 6 reps, and on. When he trained he trained heavy and was very strong. Then he used to do cycles of 100 rep training.

Jaime

• Getbig V
  • North Pole, fucking elves left, right and centre.
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2012, 03:45:18 PM »
From what I've read Rory must have trained a lot like Branch. Someone who knows, correct me if I'm wrong. The poundages listed in some articles no one could do without cheating and bouncing like Branch. Kind of ironic if true - goes to show you can't train for "symmetry" ( a la Liedelmaier).

Coach mentoned Rory used cocaine... reason he couldn't come in dry.

I thought cocaine dried you out?
Trans Milkshake.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2012, 03:48:41 PM »
I watched James Demelo do those that of numbers back in the day. He was about 5'10 and 270 offseason and looked great. some of the biggest calves ever 23 inches.

I remember this guy insane calves

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2012, 04:22:47 PM »

I remember this guy insane calves
DeMelo looked great as did Dean Caputo......I miss physiques like this!  :(

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2012, 04:35:05 PM »
Coach put me in touch with Rory a fews years back to train him when he was going to enter the Masters Nationals and try for his pro card. I talked to Rory on the phone for about an hour. Rory seemed like a real good guy. We discussed what he had taken years ago and the amounts. All I will say is it was your average stuff for back then. I also believe the doses as I knew plenty of guys back the in 80's who took similar amounts and was about the same size. You have to remember the Rory had amazing genetics. Also, guys back then did not try to weigh a certain amount they tried to look a certain way, no big guts back then. Rory was NOT up on what the current guys were doing which would have been a good thing if he had decided to compete.  

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2012, 04:38:26 PM »
Coach, did you ever meet Mark Gagne?  he is from my province and spent alot of time with Rory. Rory was up this way alot visiting him.  he was 5'9 250lbs. on stage in the 80's. said he had muscle biopsies done in California to determine what training was best for him

did M&F do an article on him in the early/mid 1980's

I think I remember they mentioned the biopsies and some pic of him curling 225 or 275

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2012, 05:25:03 PM »
DeMelo looked great as did Dean Caputo......I miss physiques like this!  :(
Yeah this is good for the youngsters to see. Guys with good physiques, good looks and all their hair.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2012, 05:36:28 PM »
Yeah this is good for the youngsters to see. Guys with good physiques, good looks and all their hair.
No shit bro,something you don`t see much anymore that`s for sure!  :)

Busted

• Getbig IV
  • PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM MOWER
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2012, 05:47:35 PM »
Coach is actually a janitor at the gym.  Don't let him fool ya  :-X

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2012, 06:09:20 PM »
did M&F do an article on him in the early/mid 1980's

I think I remember they mentioned the biopsies and some pic of him curling 225 or 275

no,  that was Mark Marshall. he placed second in the Canadians a couple times. (if you meet him he will tell you he won it, lol)

i don't know if it was the same clinic or not, but similar story.  i trained with Mark in 1991 and he was actually cheat curling 2 and a half plates then.

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2012, 06:11:59 PM »
Coach put me in touch with Rory a fews years back to train him when he was going to enter the Masters Nationals and try for his pro card. I talked to Rory on the phone for about an hour. Rory seemed like a real good guy. We discussed what he had taken years ago and the amounts. All I will say is it was your average stuff for back then. I also believe the doses as I knew plenty of guys back the in 80's who took similar amounts and was about the same size. You have to remember the Rory had amazing genetics. Also, guys back then did not try to weigh a certain amount they tried to look a certain way, no big guts back then. Rory was NOT up on what the current guys were doing which would have been a good thing if he had decided to compete.  

Mark Gagne,who i mentioned trained alot with Rory, told me they did low doses as well. i didn't bother mentioning it here as people claim bullshit no matter how much someone says they use.

Jaime

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2012, 07:09:44 PM »
What was an average cycle back then?

2 grams a week? lower/higher i really have no idea?
Trans Milkshake.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2012, 07:14:18 PM »
no,  that was Mark Marshall. he placed second in the Canadians a couple times. (if you meet him he will tell you he won it, lol)

i don't know if it was the same clinic or not, but similar story.  i trained with Mark in 1991 and he was actually cheat curling 2 and a half plates then.

so there was a pic in M&F back in early/mid 1980's of Mark Marshall curling 225 or 275

I think the dude had a mullet and I remember the pic because of the story of him getting muscle biopsies and of course for curling that ridiculous weight

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2012, 07:19:42 PM »
What was an average cycle back then?

2 grams a week? lower/higher i really have no idea?

I know exactly what they took, how much they paid and where they got it, because i was buying it and doing it right along with them.
a

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2012, 07:30:57 PM »
so there was a pic in M&F back in early/mid 1980's of Mark Marshall curling 225 or 275

I think the dude had a mullet and I remember the pic because of the story of him getting muscle biopsies and of course for curling that ridiculous weight

yes.  he was strong. when he moved to Calgary he hadn't trained in a while. he squatted 2 plates with a little difficulty. claimed he used to do 9 plates. i laughed.  but within a month he full squatted 7 plates for reps. fukking freaky.  those curls were real weights, but he cheated a ton.

when he squatted, he wore two pair of knee wraps, and two powerlifting belts one on top of the other.

Jaime

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2012, 07:33:36 PM »
I know exactly what they took, how much they paid and where they got it, because i was buying it and doing it right along with them.

Hazbin and a few of the other guys were on the scene back then Tommy.

I wouldn't expect anybody to know exactly, just general numbers.
Trans Milkshake.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2012, 07:55:26 PM »

Agreed. Unless someone was living with and supporting a bodybuilder financially, it is impossible to know exactly what they were taking.

If me and Mr X each buys:
-10 x 10cc vials of Deca
-3 bottles of Anadrol @100 per
-25 Sustanon 250 preloads
-20 boxes of 5mg Primobolan @20 per

And Mr X needs more gear after 70 days, we can deduce approximately of what he is taking. Sure, he has other connections too, so actual doses could be much higher. 
a

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2012, 01:42:05 AM »
Agreed. Unless someone was living with and supporting a bodybuilder financially, it is impossible to know exactly what they were taking.

If me and Mr X each buys:
-10 x 10cc vials of Deca
-3 bottles of Anadrol @100 per
-25 Sustanon 250 preloads
-20 boxes of 5mg Primobolan @20 per

And Mr X needs more gear after 70 days, we can deduce approximately of what he is taking. Sure, he has other connections too, so actual doses could be much higher. 

Hypothetically of course, that would be quite a bit of deca? Or not really?

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2012, 11:03:59 AM »

there was not much knowledge in this regard in my town.  i was competing in a show in 1990, and the town dealer told me there was a guy competing from Manitoba that i would never beat. i asked why he was so sure. he said the guy got ahold of gh and because of that no one would beat him. it was spoke of like it was the holy grail.  he did beat me at the show, but i'm sure he would have even if he didn't have gh.  the point is one guy half way across the country was using it and everybody knew it because it was so rare.