Author Topic: Problems with BMW cars and expensive service?  (Read 8141 times)

Steve Namat

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
  • IFBB PRO www.stevenamat.com
Problems with BMW cars and expensive service?
« on: March 17, 2012, 11:32:06 PM »
Wanna buy a car and that's what people keeps telling me...

It that true? Opinions?

Thx guys!

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
Re: Problems with BMW cars and expensive service?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 11:36:24 PM »

It that true? Opinions?

Thx guys!

It's like any luxury car.. buy a couple years old, a lease return if possible, most people who lease high end cars usually take pretty good care of them. Then find a shop that specializes in those type of cars for your service needs. Don't take it to the dealer and don't follow the scheduled maintenance as it is designed to put money in the dealer/service departments pockets more so than keeping the car running. 

Steve Namat

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 11:38:11 PM »
It's like any luxury car.. buy a couple years old, a lease return if possible, most people who lease high end cars usually take pretty good care of them. Then find a shop that specializes in those type of cars for your service needs. Don't take it to the dealer and don't follow the scheduled maintenance as it is designed to put money in the dealer/service departments pockets more so than keeping the car running. 
Good info bro! Thx!

Wanna buy a 2006 one...but so much bullshit going on at the dealerships...  :-\

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 11:39:45 PM »
Good info bro! Thx!

Yeah... hard to get a deal there. They of course have huge overhead and want every dime of possible profit. can't blame them for that, but I wouldn't help pay for their nice showroom.

Growth NOOB

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 11:43:30 PM »
One of the major perks of leasing a bmw is that every type of maintenance is 100% covered.

Steve Namat

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 11:49:11 PM »
One of the major perks of leasing a bmw is that every type of maintenance is 100% covered.
Donno bro...just wanna buy one right away and own it... LOL! Not a fan of leasing...

My only concern is the is the service...and for a 2006 car the extended warranty can be expensive too I guess...

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 12:28:24 AM »
Donno bro...just wanna buy one right away and own it... LOL! Not a fan of leasing...

My only concern is the is the service...and for a 2006 car the extended warranty can be expensive too I guess...
You wanna get ahead forget about nice cars and get a Kia.

Steve Namat

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 01:14:10 AM »
You wanna get ahead forget about nice cars and get a Kia.
LOL! No way!

Dipadidu

• Getbig IV
  • any problems? work out!
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 01:24:56 AM »
everyone wants to drive expensive cars, but don't wanna pay heavy ass service

Steve Namat

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 01:29:22 AM »
Yes...but the question is...because of this...should I buy American car...?  ???

seCrawler

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 01:31:54 AM »

I do it though!

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 01:42:02 AM »
"everybody wanna buy expensive cars but nobody wanna pay maintainance bills!!"

Bevo

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012, 01:45:51 AM »
Yes...but the question is...because of this...should I buy American car...?  ???

Any German car out of warranty is prone to issues mainly electrical of all sorts. Usually BMW cars like 328i are pretty good but the turbo cars like 335s have fuel pump issues and failures. Either way it's going to cost you. I don't understand why don't you just get something reliable like a Japanese car until you have decent income to buy luxury. Of course in America you just want to live the dream ::)

buselmo

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 01:47:48 AM »

if you wanna go german.. buy a mercedes. bmw is for people who can afford it and afford the service. you're basically buying a powerful, luxurious, and tech advanced car that has a reliability of 0%. the only people i know who are happy with their bmw's are those with drivers to take it to the dealership every month to fix shit that went wrong with it (mind you, we're talking 2011&2012 models) and have enough money to buy 10 other cars.

luxury/high class car means you can afford it. and if anything, it reflects status... it's not reliable at all. it's for the rich, my friend.
a smart person would choose something very reliable, looks great, low maintenance, and low MPG. basically a japanese sedan. you wanna get from point A to point B without any problems and not look like you live on wellfare... what you're trying to do is go on a world of suffering (financially) with that car. let alone it's a 2006... cars pre-2000 lasted 10+ years... post 2000, you're lucky if they last 5... 8 tops. after that, it's taking it to the shop every 2-3 months.

be smart bro... don't be shallow.

Bevo

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2012, 01:49:25 AM »

Actually no and bmw's aren't really high end and lease cars can be some of the worse cause they don't have to do shit due to the maintainence program and stupid oil change that BMW recommends, something like 10/15k oil change ::) I personally know people who trash the shit out of lease cars and they were Mercedes and bmw's

meechz

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2012, 01:50:49 AM »
These cars require preventative maintenance to keep them in top running order ie, upper lower control arm bushings every 4-5 years, radiator/water pump/expansion tank replacement at 90k or sooner, brake flush (2yr) transmission fluid change every 30k etc. BMW v8's are prone to oil leakage at the valve cover gaskets, upper timing chain cover and vanos gaskets area.

As for extended warranties, your buying a 6yr old vehicle so I'd look for a car that's CPO at dealers lot and damn sure wouldn't buy one w/o having a PPI-PRE PURCHASE INSPECTION which costs 100-300 from independent BMW mechanic.
www.bimrs.org is a site that lists BMW independent shops should you chose to purchase and not get raped by having the car serviced by the stealer er dealer that is.

Just my h/o after 25yrs owning BMW's and have seen my share of bs.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2012, 02:58:26 AM »

It that true? Opinions?

Thx guys!

Hahahah, you should buy a bicycle, you're poor.

Of a small Honda.

BMWs is for people with money.

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2012, 03:00:12 AM »
LOL! No way!
Have fun personal training when you are 60 then dude...

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2012, 04:58:27 AM »

It that true? Opinions?

Thx guys!

Ask Parker on here; he's the authority in this area.

I've only known a couple of people who own BMW's, but they all say the same things: the cars don't match the reputation they had years ago, and the parts AND service are quite expensive.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2012, 05:26:11 AM »
I had a 328I for around 3 years.  I loved that car, and never had any problems with it either.  I think some people really have lead feet.

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2012, 05:26:43 AM »
Beemers, Mercedes, and Audi are cars for people who have money who like to throw away their money.  Here in South Florida, no one looks at you twice if you own one of these cars anyways.  

Wait for the 2013 Chevy Cruze.  It will get upwards of 50 MPG and comes with a Diesel engine  ;D

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2012, 05:30:21 AM »

It that true? Opinions?

Thx guys!

Volvo
A

Rhomboids

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2012, 05:54:53 AM »
Good info bro! Thx!

That's exactly what i did.  I bought a 2006 LExus GS.  Got it for less than half the price when new.  Also was a very low mileage car.  I bought extended warranty but in general, i never go to the dealer to do work.  BMs are known for being very expensive for parts/service.  The 7 series in particular has the worst reputation for reliability and electrical problems.  I'd rather look at the E class than 5 series - though the new 5 series looks like Beemers got back to form. 

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2012, 06:01:39 AM »
toyota very good cars

barbellman

• Getbig II
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2012, 06:05:00 AM »
Bullshit, BMW's aren't expensive to maintain but they are if you are some homo making 35K a year trying to look rich.

Cut the bullshit and buy the 7 series, none of this 3 series "I make 30K but I want everyone to THINK I'm rich so I buy a 3 series and remove the emblems to try to fool people".