Author Topic: Question for Americans  (Read 3903 times)

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
Question for Americans
« on: March 22, 2012, 07:13:35 AM »
Figured I would ask this in the G&O seeing how it gets most of the traffic, if it needs to be moved, mods feel free.  I am an American, who seems to have had a "rebirth" after a recent trip I took to Europe for my honeymoon.  Most notably in regards to WWII.  I picked up a minor in history in college, and this topic has always fascinated me.  Anyways, I am 31, and seem to have been having a different look on things lately.  I have been reading many books on the European theatre of the war and thus watching a lot of military history channel.  In watching, I see the surrender of the troops in the Africa(not the Germans, but the Italians and indigenous people) campaign and it reminds me of Saddams troops during the gulf war, they just gave up after a few days of fighting.  My question is, do you think that Americans being so inundated from an early age of military superiority would cower down after a few months if we were invaded on our own soil?  Would the young people we have in the Army, who many are there because they are too dumb to survive in the work world otherwise, and just want a paycheck, give up and refuse to fight because of the selfish attitude of this generation.  Would they just lay down and take an occupying nation coming in, just because they do not want to die for their country?  Almost like a bully getting knocked in the mouth.  I admit, I am not a huge country music fan, but they song about shit like that, and its good o see that somewhere patriotism is alive and kicking, but is it enough?  My grandfather went into WWII at the age of 17 and fought at the battle of Leyte Gulf, and I just can't imagine our people fighting like that now, because they think war is just siting behind a desk and firing a drone.  I know that is over simplifying it, but you get the point.  Any takers?

Bad Boy Dazza

• Getbig IV
Re: Question for Americans
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 07:16:56 AM »
Many fuckers in the army today as you said are just in it cos they can't make it in the real world.  Losers will LOSE in a war.

Plus you have those who are in it for free education, free plastic surgery etc.   Many of these DREAD the thought of being sent to war.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 07:18:28 AM »
You raise an interesting point, just based on the fact that America has never been 'invaded' on a large scale since the turn of the 20 century at least - who knows what would happen.

I love reading about WWII also, my grandfather (Greek Cypriot) went to Italy and died in the fiercest battle when Germans were on the backfoot literally taking out every m'fker the came across. Mostly in rugged countryside, anyway my gramps stood his ground with 2 other buddys and fended off a small troop of the filthy buggers for a good day and a half until they were overcome God bless his beautiful soul.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 07:18:50 AM »
So do you see us winning a major invasion on US soil?  Probably all the rednecks and "crazy right wing gun owners" would have to step up.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 07:20:43 AM »
You raise an interesting point, just based on the fact that America has never been 'invaded' on a large scale since the turn of the 20 century at least - who knows what would happen.

I love reading about WWII also, my grandfather (Greek Cypriot) went to Italy and died in the fiercest battle when Germans were on the backfoot literally taking out every m'fker the came across. Mostly in rugged countryside, anyway my gramps stood his ground with 2 other buddys and fended off a small troop of the filthy buggers for a good day and a half until they were overcome God bless his beautiful soul.

That's what I'm talking about, I just don't see generation nothingness standing up for themselves.  Your granddad was a good dude.  Anyone who dies honorably in battle should be commended, no matter what side they are on.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 07:21:07 AM »
So do you see us winning a major invasion on US soil?  Probably all the rednecks and "crazy right wing gun owners" would have to step up.

Only so much 'stepping up' you can do against the whole EU armed with big autos or some shit

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 07:30:56 AM »
There are too many crazies, deranged lunatics, criminals (who may switch sides), and general "I Ain't Never Scared!" muthafvckers that would "allow" a invasion to happen...

As it is, we pissibly wouldn't survive a inner turmoil---like a Civil War (which very well could happen).

Most countries today---their military ain't got the goods. China's is huge, but there is a big difference between marching and shooting...when bullets start flying, a lot of people will start running.

We should worry about "soft" invasions...Japan did it with their cars and electronics, and then there is that "immigration" thing.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 07:36:51 AM »
My question is, do you think that Americans being so inundated from an early age of military superiority would cower down after a few months if we were invaded on our own soil? 
A force coming into America wouldn't stand a freaking chance.  If they made it past our military, the number of pissed off armed Americans would cause way too many problems for them.  I see that changing down the road on the path we are on.  Our government is more controlling of us than ever and it just gets worse every year.  If you ask this question 15 or 20 years down the road, it's quite possible that we would just be bitches to an invading army, mostly due to our own government progressively and constantly demanding us to walk a finer line.  Maybe our government is a bigger threat to America lol... 

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 07:45:57 AM »
Pound for pound (in millitary terms) Britain would kick USA's ass in war.

Oh brother here we go

Schmoff

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 07:55:44 AM »
There are too many crazies, deranged lunatics, criminals (who may switch sides), and general "I Ain't Never Scared!" muthafvckers that would "allow" a invasion to happen...

As it is, we pissibly wouldn't survive a inner turmoil---like a Civil War (which very well could happen).

Most countries today---their military ain't got the goods. China's is huge, but there is a big difference between marching and shooting...when bullets start flying, a lot of people will start running.

We should worry about "soft" invasions...Japan did it with their cars and electronics, and then there is that "immigration" thing.

what a surprise you bring china up to this thread

Rearden Metal

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Honey Badger cuz he don't Care.
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 08:51:56 AM »
Pound for pound (in millitary terms) Britain would kick USA's ass in war.

Oh brother here we go

Let's see if they can take Rhode Island first. Don't bite off more that they can chew.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 08:55:39 AM »
Let `em try invading Yancy St....................it`ll be over before it begins!

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 11:31:56 AM »
Figured I would ask this in the G&O seeing how it gets most of the traffic, if it needs to be moved, mods feel free.  I am an American, who seems to have had a "rebirth" after a recent trip I took to Europe for my honeymoon.  Most notably in regards to WWII.  I picked up a minor in history in college, and this topic has always fascinated me.  Anyways, I am 31, and seem to have been having a different look on things lately.  I have been reading many books on the European theatre of the war and thus watching a lot of military history channel.  In watching, I see the surrender of the troops in the Africa(not the Germans, but the Italians and indigenous people) campaign and it reminds me of Saddams troops during the gulf war, they just gave up after a few days of fighting.  My question is, do you think that Americans being so inundated from an early age of military superiority would cower down after a few months if we were invaded on our own soil?  Would the young people we have in the Army, who many are there because they are too dumb to survive in the work world otherwise, and just want a paycheck, give up and refuse to fight because of the selfish attitude of this generation.  Would they just lay down and take an occupying nation coming in, just because they do not want to die for their country?  Almost like a bully getting knocked in the mouth.  I admit, I am not a huge country music fan, but they song about shit like that, and its good o see that somewhere patriotism is alive and kicking, but is it enough?  My grandfather went into WWII at the age of 17 and fought at the battle of Leyte Gulf, and I just can't imagine our people fighting like that now, because they think war is just siting behind a desk and firing a drone.  I know that is over simplifying it, but you get the point.  Any takers?

Would the young people we have in the Army, who many are there because they are too dumb to survive in the work world otherwise, and just want a paycheck, give up and refuse to fight because of the selfish attitude of this generation

Really dude.....there are more high school and college grads per capita in the US Military then in the general population. Have you seen our guys' in combat?  Our kids are the best we've ever fielded. Dumbasses don't serve on the modern battlefield...and it isn't all sitting behind a desk "firing a drone".....I don't even know what that means.
L

Schmoff

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 11:45:46 AM »

looks like you are too intelligent to know how to quote

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 11:57:18 AM »
what a surprise you bring china up to this thread

Who else would "want" to? Problem is, they still don't have the capabilities to do so. Russia, no...Any of the other Euro powers, no...no 1812 is gonna happen too soon. Central or South American countries, no. If anything, the US needs to united under the commonality of the "Americas".

Middle Eastern Nations, no? If they are oil rich, what they can do is strangle us via oil. African nations, no?

N Korea, no...a lot of talking, but they are more of threat to S Korean.

The main problem strategically about the US is that it is huge in terms of land mass, has two main mountain ranges, and varies in weather, climate, ecology and environment.

Plus, Americans tend to have a fvck you atittude..."you ain't taking my shit", and you can't win over the populace by "promising" a better "system", but, let's face it, whereever the "invaders" are coming from, unless it's from outer space, nobodies "system" has proven to be "better".

Remember, Americans have a lot of cowboy in them, and even though we play that, "bring peace" bullshit, we are a violent nation. Take a look at our sports, take a look at how we talk on this forum, oiled men in thongs doing " battle".

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2012, 12:34:35 PM »
That paragraph made my head hurt.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2012, 12:43:01 PM »

The middle aged white man would fight to the death. A lot of them are sociopaths. However the 18 to 21 year olds are pussies. The TapOut generation didn't make kids tougher. Just more delusional. A war on American soil would be brutal. Hell a middle aged red neck would press the Atomic Bomb button on his own soil. No doubt.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2012, 12:44:39 PM »
That paragraph made my head hurt.
See, even without effort, we are violent.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2012, 12:46:29 PM »
:D

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2012, 12:47:54 PM »
I was powerless.    :'(         ;D

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2012, 12:50:37 PM »
"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass. "

Rearden Metal

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Honey Badger cuz he don't Care.
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2012, 12:53:40 PM »
I had a discussion about this with a friend last year. We often refer back to it. The main question was do you stay and fight, or flee (Canada?) to safer havens.

At first I thought of exit strategies. Lot's of my route would be traversing upstate NY, which is easily cut off by main roads, meaning you'd have to hoof it up through some pretty rugged areas. Rambo I am not, I decided fighting would be best.

So then we decided that I'd be the "grenade guy", since as a kid I liked to make bombs and blow shit up. Given any fair warning, I'd like to think I'd have my property nicely booby trapped, have a decent exit strategy (already do) and be fairly well equiped. Let's just say you don't want to walk in my place unannounced, you're fairly likely to be greeted by a muzzle.

MikMaq

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2012, 01:22:22 PM »
Lol whatever resolve they got, if america faced a large scale invasion i.e. 2-10 million chinese, you wouldn't be able to do shit, there's no half assing it with a invasion like that, either you attack everywhere or the tech advantage would destroy any invaders.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2012, 01:28:33 PM »
Lol whatever resolve they got, if america faced a large scale invasion i.e. 2-10 million chinese, you wouldn't be able to do shit, there's no half assing it with a invasion like that, either you attack everywhere or the tech advantage would destroy any invaders.
Modern war scenarios don't involve such large land forces. Haven't for a long time, now.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2012, 01:41:52 PM »