Author Topic: Obama has a 5 Billion Dollar train to nowhere w company linked to Reid.  (Read 747 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
LOL, lets take and build a train from the most bankrupt state in the nation to the place most notorious for bankrupting people.
Makes tons of sense. Build a train for already broke people to go lose their money? Brilliant idea!
I have no doubt that the already broke people of California (who cant even afford their rent, let alone gas to get to the train.) are going to line up jump on a train to Vegas so that they can blow money they dont have.

Oh... wait... I almost forgot, you have to actually HAVE money to go to Vegas.
Ignorance, thy name is Obama.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Again.  Vets and soldiers get screwed via TRICARE, gamblers and corrupt donors to Obama and Reid get a trai to nowhere. 

but oh yeah - no keystone pipeline! 

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
http://www.businessinsider.com/bullet-train-from-las-vegas-to-nowhere-2012-3

Going to Victorville is dumb. If it's built, I hope that an extension from Victorville to Los Angeles is constructed soon after.

As someone who lives in Las Vegas and drives to Los Angeles relatively frequently, I can tell you that a high-speed line between Las Vegas and Los Angeles would be a good thing. For one thing, the traffic on I-15 is horrible, and the road itself devolves into a pitiful 2+2 lane road, with large 1+1 segments; for hundreds of miles the road surface and the surrounding infrastructure is in a state of disrepair, and the cost of repairing and improving I-15 would easily top $4,500,000,000. And even if I-15 were repaired and upgraded, a high-speed train, going 150mph all the way, would make the transportation of cargo much more efficient, which is a big concern since most of the traffic on I-15 is big-rigs.

It's conceivable that regular, fast and reliable passenger service would help improve the economies of Las Vegas and Los Angeles by making both more easily accessible to the residents of the other, but only if the prices were dramatically lower than airfares [or if the experience was more pleasurable, which isn't hard to ensure once the TSA personnel is out of the equation].

Hell, I would be a proponent of extending the line from Las Vegas to one of the Phoenix suburbs for the same reason: the roads from Las Vegas to Phoenix also stretch hundred of miles as old, poorly surfaced 1+1 highways with no divider, and high-speed cargo service could beat the caterpillar of big-rigs perpetually inching up and down the road at 45 mph.

But should the Federal Government be helping to finance this? Not really, no. At best, they should provide tax-breaks or expedited processing of necessary permits.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
Going to Victorville is dumb. If it's built, I hope that an extension from Victorville to Los Angeles is constructed soon after.

As someone who lives in Las Vegas and drives to Los Angeles relatively frequently, I can tell you that a high-speed line between Las Vegas and Los Angeles would be a good thing. For one thing, the traffic on I-15 is horrible, and the road itself devolves into a pitiful 2+2 lane road, with large 1+1 segments; for hundreds of miles the road surface and the surrounding infrastructure is in a state of disrepair, and the cost of repairing and improving I-15 would easily top $4,500,000,000. And even if I-15 were repaired and upgraded, a high-speed train, going 150mph all the way, would make the transportation of cargo much more efficient, which is a big concern since most of the traffic on I-15 is big-rigs.

It's conceivable that regular, fast and reliable passenger service would help improve the economies of Las Vegas and Los Angeles by making both more easily accessible to the residents of the other, but only if the prices were dramatically lower than airfares [or if the experience was more pleasurable, which isn't hard to ensure once the TSA personnel is out of the equation].

Hell, I would be a proponent of extending the line from Las Vegas to one of the Phoenix suburbs for the same reason: the roads from Las Vegas to Phoenix also stretch hundred of miles as old, poorly surfaced 1+1 highways with no divider, and high-speed cargo service could beat the caterpillar of big-rigs perpetually inching up and down the road at 45 mph.

But should the Federal Government be helping to finance this? Not really, no. At best, they should provide tax-breaks or expedited processing of necessary permits.
To LA would make sense. Plenty of use would come out of that.
But not to Victorville.
And not for the reasons theyre stating.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
If there was such a demand and need for this private sector investors would line up for it. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

avxo

• Getbig V
If there was such a demand and need for this private sector investors would line up for it.

Not necessarily. The scope of the project is ridiculous, and the risk is quite high. So, even if there's a demand and a need for it, it's not a foregone conclusion that investors would line up for it. Hell, there's a demand and a need for a *GOOD* road between Las Vegas and Los Angeles with no speed limit. But you don't see investors lining up to finance a 300+ mile toll road across two states, a handful of counties, dozens of municipalities.

UPS alone sends approximately 600 trucks per week (I heard this from someone working at UPS, I don't have a reference) between LA and LV, and driving on a typical Friday one encounters at least 200 trucks in the same direction. Judge for yourself how much need there is, considering the cost of gasoline/diesel, the cost of truck maintenance, insurance and drivers.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Not necessarily. The scope of the project is ridiculous, and the risk is quite high. So, even if there's a demand and a need for it, it's not a foregone conclusion that investors would line up for it. Hell, there's a demand and a need for a *GOOD* road between Las Vegas and Los Angeles with no speed limit. But you don't see investors lining up to finance a 300+ mile toll road across two states, a handful of counties, dozens of municipalities.

UPS alone sends approximately 600 trucks per week (I heard this from someone working at UPS, I don't have a reference) between LA and LV, and driving on a typical Friday one encounters at least 200 trucks in the same direction. Judge for yourself how much need there is, considering the cost of gasoline/diesel, the cost of truck maintenance, insurance and drivers.

so why not try to increase the airport capacity? 

what about building a new road?   would it cost 5 billion? 

my reading on these trains is that the costs to the passengers is bot much less than airfare. 

avxo

• Getbig V

Because air-freight of large cargo isn't really cost-effective. Trains on the other hand are built to haul. I've seen trains hauling upwards of 200 double-height cars, chugging along.

Are you kidding me? The cost for new highways ranges from $16.8 million to $74.7 million per mile per lane! Even if we take the low-ball figure, of $16.8 million for the entire length of the highway and round off the length at 250 miles, the cost of 2+2 lanes would be:

16,800,000 * 4 * 250 = 16,800,000,000

That's sixteen billion, eight hundred million dollars using the low-ball figure. Considering that large segments of the roadway are over mountainous/hilly terrain, the low-ball figure is probably unrealistic.

my reading on these trains is that the costs to the passengers is bot much less than airfare.

I don't know, but as I said, unless the cost is dramatically lower, or the experience is dramatically better than flying (see: TSA) then I don't think that passenger service would be all to useful. Cargo is where it's at.

magikusar

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Team Ayn Rand
wtf

i think some republican need to put forward bills opening up private non union transport lines to avoid the teamsters completely

fuck union fucks!!

also de unionize fedex once obama gone

fedex was kicking ups ass adn obama forced unionized them

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot

LAX can not grow.

For it to grow, it would have to encompass Westchester and it can not do that.

While LV could grow easily (As McLaren is pretty much out in the desert) LAX can not... So you can skip that idea.

Now my question is what would this country look like if the US government had not backed the transcontinental railroad financially?

avxo

• Getbig V
While LV could grow easily (As McLaren is pretty much out in the desert) LAX can not... So you can skip that idea.

McCarran is smack-dab in the middle of Las Vegas. It borders Las Vegas Boulevard, Sunset Road, Tropicana Avenue, Paradise Road and Eastern Avenue. There's residential and commercial real estate all around it.

Although there is new construction happening for a new terminal I wouldn't say it can easily grow. After T5 is finished, I really don't think there will any more expansions. When they were preparing for the T5 expansion they had to take a large tract of land by using eminent domain. I doubt the city, the county and the airport want to go through that again.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
McCarran is smack-dab in the middle of Las Vegas. It borders Las Vegas Boulevard, Sunset Road, Tropicana Avenue, Paradise Road and Eastern Avenue. There's residential and commercial real estate all around it.

Although there is new construction happening for a new terminal I wouldn't say it can easily grow. After T5 is finished, I really don't think there will any more expansions. When they were preparing for the T5 expansion they had to take a large tract of land by using eminent domain. I doubt the city, the county and the airport want to go through that again.
Thanks for your insight.

Then it's completely impossible on BOTH sides.

So the train makes even MORE sense.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
Looking at the map, it makes even less sense to me, why wouldnt they run the train right into the outskirts of L.A.? Why put it in a bankrupt town 100 miles out? Seems like it would do a lot better being closer to L.A...
Course I could be way off here, so someone please enlighten me if im wrong.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
Looking at the map, it makes even less sense to me, why wouldnt they run the train right into the outskirts of L.A.? Why put it in a bankrupt town 100 miles out? Seems like it would do a lot better being closer to L.A...

I would look at it as one of those "park and ride" scenarios... Where you park your car out from the city and ride in.

I do agree they could run it directly to downtown, but then where would you build parking for this damn thing?

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage

They're not interested in making sense. They're only concerned with paying off their cronies. This is the Obama regime modus operandi.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
 :D