Author Topic: My dog passed away! :(  (Read 18923 times)

dustin

My dog passed away! :(
« on: March 25, 2012, 11:47:10 PM »
Hey guys, I know there are a lot of dog lovers and I just wanted to share a bit about our heart breaking weekend. My best friend, Buddy, passed away just 6 weeks shy of his 13th birthday.

Friday night I accidentally left our back door open and heard our wiener dog down the road barking, so I ran outside to chase him. Our pit puppy was digging in the trash and Buddy sorrowfully wandered out from the dark forest with his head held down. I thought he got into the trash can too as he has a very shameful look when does something wrong, but he just looked very depressed and was coughing up lots of clear fluid. I stopped scolding him when I realized something was wrong and preyed that we'd wake up in the morning to a lively old poochy again. There was no scent of garbage on him and his head wouldn't lift off the floor even for some late night kibble.

Unfortunately when we woke up his condition deteriorated. He finally got up from his dog bed only to collapse against the hallway trying to get to his water dish. I lifted him back to his bed and we had attempted to stand him up for breakfast but he was glued to the floor. My heart was sinking. I fought back tears and thoughts creeping into my mind that things were taking a turn for the worst. He wouldn't eat kibble and wouldn't even touch a steak we tearfully cooked for him.

We were planning a family dinner at my mothers and figured we should really take Buddy as his life seemed to be slipping away at a fast pace. I drove slowly and my exchange students kept a watchful eye, but he became incontinent just before pulling into the driveway and the tears were even harder to hold back. We carefully lifted him out of the vehicle, cleaned him up and his legs quivered as he lost control of his bladder as well. When we brought him inside there was a lot of silence for minutes as my mom skimmed through the phone book to check for an emergency pet hospital to take him to. We knew it wasn't for a check up and that it would be to let our canine family member leave this life in peace. I went to the washroom to get some toilet paper and passed my aunt who couldn't stay in the kitchen anymore with the family when I came back. I couldn't fight and hold back my tears once I returned to the sight of my stepdad, a 230lb Canadian mountain man, petting Buddy with tears streaming down his face while trying to console him. That was the breaking point, seeing a man so physically strong reduced to tears as his family member, not a "pet", slipped away helplessly.

It was a bitter sweet situation that we had happened to have organized a big family dinner this weekend because all of my immediate family, save for my youngest brother, was able to make it to the veterinary hospital to be with Buddy as we euthanized him. The vet concluded that cancerous tumors and/or cysts had broken around his organs causing internal bleeding which had spread to his lungs causing a shortness of breath. They had quickly prepared an intravenous catheter to deliver pain medication as well as a room where we could say our goodbyes and comfort him as he passed on. When we gave the go-ahead, it was no more than 10 seconds before he was gone. I know that for some it would seem as though it's nothing more than an animal that we sheltered for our convoluted reasons and that it's irrational to grow so attached to an animal - for dog lovers there are no words to explain just how completely wrong that is. Buddy passed away peacefully at 6:10pm, March 24, 2012.

To pay respect, grieve, and to abstain from negativity I will be taking a leave from posting on Getbig. I don't mean to be a drama queen, but I don't want to pollute my mind with bullshit for a little while. It will be somewhat of a mental cleanse. I'll be back somewhere down the road if anyone cares. I'd like to share a few quick photos that bring a smile to my face as well. I'm pulling a hard drive out from an old computer to make sure I've retrieved every last image of him I could find. We thankfully have thousands of pictures of him, but they can only provide a marginal amount of comfort as he was the best dog and one of the best living beings I have ever loved. Best wishes to everyone here, even phaggots like Goodrum, but especially to those who are dog lovers as well. You guys understand how unimaginably special these creatures are. I still have two which I love with all my heart, and I can sense that they're aware of Buddy's passing as well. Dogs are very special creatures and I empathize with anyone who's had to endure the passing of their dog. If I ever truly become a man, it will have been through emulating the insurmountable compassion and love that Buddy showed to everyone he had met.

tl;dr version:
- dog died this weekend
- heart is absolutely fucking crushed :(

P.S. Mods, please don't move this thread. I threw down a front double bi's and a most muscular after taking a shower this morning and looked like a bag of smashed assholes. Now this thread is bodybuilding related. Cheers.

Stark

• Getbig V
Re: My dog passed away! :(
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 11:48:32 PM »
my condolences,

The good thing about a dog is you can always get you a new one

5antasy

• Getbig II
  • Forever cutting
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 11:53:34 PM »
RIP buddy. Heartbreaking.

Worst thing about owning a dog is that they die many many years before you do.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 12:04:15 AM »
Damn man, Im sorry for your loss...

Even though I myself never had a dog as a pet, I can feel your pain.. in fact I never ever had a pet in my life but Im considering getting one, as I love dogs and generally animals..

gh15

• Getbig V
  • angels
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 12:13:00 AM »
dustin,, giev me your most favortie organization for dogs ,, dont do it now ,, when you come back ,, get to me your most favortie organization for dogs

this is very sad,, but 13 years can never be taken away LOT AND LOT OF MEMORYS ,, it is VERY LONG life that after knowing you i can garentee he was probably one of the luckiest dogs in canada to have you raising him .. you seen him young ,, and you were lucky to see him maturing into an old dog

angel always leave unexpetedly when the job is done always remember this,,sometimes they are needed for long 13 years

he is ok

gh15 approved
fallen angel

gh15

• Getbig V
  • angels
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 12:18:03 AM »
my condolences,

i would tlel you something but out of respect to dustin which i do respect a lot i will leave it be,,

gh15 approved
fallen angel

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 12:37:23 AM »
i would tlel you something but out of respect to dustin which i do respect a lot i will leave it be,,

gh15 approved

Why the aggression? I was expressing my condolences to the man.

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 12:43:57 AM »
Too bad your dog died.... :(

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 12:44:44 AM »
Why the aggression? I was expressing my condolences to the man.
Because that drowning-kittens-thing is attached to you..?

gh15

• Getbig V
  • angels
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 12:46:14 AM »
you can nto replace a dog,, learn it ! like you can not replace a child ,, he is now suffering and it doesnt just go away ,, it stays in litle place in the heart for FUCKING EVER ,, it never leaves you ,, now he is looking for everything he ever had with him ,, all the memorys coming up ,, this was his BEST FRIEND you didnt hear that? you know what is best friend 13 years to raise him from nothing through all the years to se him growing and getting oldl ,, fuck hav esome tact

his loss is TRE MEN DOUS ,,no one can know what it is beside him ,, you only know it if you had your own BEST friend who left and even then its very individual ,, it can not be replaced ever...yes others will come but never another one like him ,, NEVER EVER

gh15 approved
fallen angel

Rearden Metal

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Honey Badger cuz he don't Care.
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 01:20:37 AM »
I'm so very sorry Dustin. I'm forwarding this to my girl so she can understand why I've been on Getbig for nearly a decade almost daily.

My dachshund/ chihuahua mix (3 yr old female) has been very sick for 7-8 months with intestinal problems. With a baby on the way we have to
Consider adopting her to her father because we can't handle the stress of all the mess he causes. I know my puppy doesn't want to be a problem I can see it in her eyes, it breaks my heart to have to think of her leaving our household or worse, having her life shortened by her illness.

Be thankful for the 13 wonderful years. What a blessing dogs are!

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 01:21:51 AM »
Because that drowning-kittens-thing is attached to you..?

yeah I know that was cruel next time I burn them.

claymore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 01:24:37 AM »
Sorry to hear this my friend... :'(

balzac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 01:26:25 AM »
sorry for your loss, my condolences

a dog is a mans best friend, and it sure hurts loosing one...

after a while just remember all the good times you share together and you know he will be in a good place... rip buddy

Da Freak

• Getbig IV
  • Get BIG! Or DIE trying!
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 01:29:38 AM »
my heartfelt condolences dustin. I had to put down our beautiful GSD last year. he was 15 and his best days were behind him. I stayed with him and held him while they administered the dosage and he passed on. I had to be strong and not let my tears show that day and still feel devastated as I write this. long story short, I totally feel you mate. I pray that he is in a better place.

/h2

Super Natural

• Getbig IV
  • Repent of Soy liberalism.
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2012, 01:34:03 AM »
I feel your pain, when your dog dies it's like a family member dying :( Looks like you gave him a very happy life, Sorry to hear.

magikusar

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Team Ayn Rand
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2012, 01:46:06 AM »
Hey guys, I know there are a lot of dog lovers and I just wanted to share a bit about our heart breaking weekend. My best friend, Buddy, passed away just 6 weeks shy of his 13th birthday.

Friday night I accidentally left our back door open and heard our wiener dog down the road barking, so I ran outside to chase him. Our pit puppy was digging in the trash and Buddy sorrowfully wandered out from the dark forest with his head held down. I thought he got into the trash can too as he has a very shameful look when does something wrong, but he just looked very depressed and was coughing up lots of clear fluid. I stopped scolding him when I realized something was wrong and preyed that we'd wake up in the morning to a lively old poochy again. There was no scent of garbage on him and his head wouldn't lift off the floor even for some late night kibble.

Unfortunately when we woke up his condition deteriorated. He finally got up from his dog bed only to collapse against the hallway trying to get to his water dish. I lifted him back to his bed and we had attempted to stand him up for breakfast but he was glued to the floor. My heart was sinking. I fought back tears and thoughts creeping into my mind that things were taking a turn for the worst. He wouldn't eat kibble and wouldn't even touch a steak we tearfully cooked for him.

We were planning a family dinner at my mothers and figured we should really take Buddy as his life seemed to be slipping away at a fast pace. I drove slowly and my exchange students kept a watchful eye, but he became incontinent just before pulling into the driveway and the tears were even harder to hold back. We carefully lifted him out of the vehicle, cleaned him up and his legs quivered as he lost control of his bladder as well. When we brought him inside there was a lot of silence for minutes as my mom skimmed through the phone book to check for an emergency pet hospital to take him to. We knew it wasn't for a check up and that it would be to let our canine family member leave this life in peace. I went to the washroom to get some toilet paper and passed my aunt who couldn't stay in the kitchen anymore with the family when I came back. I couldn't fight and hold back my tears once I returned to the sight of my stepdad, a 230lb Canadian mountain man, petting Buddy with tears streaming down his face while trying to console him. That was the breaking point, seeing a man so physically strong reduced to tears as his family member, not a "pet", slipped away helplessly.

It was a bitter sweet situation that we had happened to have organized a big family dinner this weekend because all of my immediate family, save for my youngest brother, was able to make it to the veterinary hospital to be with Buddy as we euthanized him. The vet concluded that cancerous tumors and/or cysts had broken around his organs causing internal bleeding which had spread to his lungs causing a shortness of breath. They had quickly prepared an intravenous catheter to deliver pain medication as well as a room where we could say our goodbyes and comfort him as he passed on. When we gave the go-ahead, it was no more than 10 seconds before he was gone. I know that for some it would seem as though it's nothing more than an animal that we sheltered for our convoluted reasons and that it's irrational to grow so attached to an animal - for dog lovers there are no words to explain just how completely wrong that is. Buddy passed away peacefully at 6:10pm, March 24, 2012.

To pay respect, grieve, and to abstain from negativity I will be taking a leave from posting on Getbig. I don't mean to be a drama queen, but I don't want to pollute my mind with bullshit for a little while. It will be somewhat of a mental cleanse. I'll be back somewhere down the road if anyone cares. I'd like to share a few quick photos that bring a smile to my face as well. I'm pulling a hard drive out from an old computer to make sure I've retrieved every last image of him I could find. We thankfully have thousands of pictures of him, but they can only provide a marginal amount of comfort as he was the best dog and one of the best living beings I have ever loved. Best wishes to everyone here, even phaggots like Goodrum, but especially to those who are dog lovers as well. You guys understand how unimaginably special these creatures are. I still have two which I love with all my heart, and I can sense that they're aware of Buddy's passing as well. Dogs are very special creatures and I empathize with anyone who's had to endure the passing of their dog. If I ever truly become a man, it will have been through emulating the insurmountable compassion and love that Buddy showed to everyone he had met.

tl;dr version:
- dog died this weekend
- heart is absolutely fucking crushed :(

P.S. Mods, please don't move this thread. I threw down a front double bi's and a most muscular after taking a shower this morning and looked like a bag of smashed assholes. Now this thread is bodybuilding related. Cheers.

man no need to call the ex a dog

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2012, 02:00:53 AM »
Its just natural, my friend.

RIP

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2012, 02:22:47 AM »

i didnt read your post. it would bother me too much. i am truely sorry for your loss. those who dont have dogs wouldnt get it. those who do, do.
b

whitewidow

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2012, 02:34:17 AM »
That's Horrible! here is my weiner dogg I love the little guy! Its hard dogs are like your kids

bladerunner

• Getbig II
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2012, 02:36:21 AM »
I am sorry for your loss, my sincerest condolences

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2012, 02:37:17 AM »
That's Horrible! here is my weiner dogg I love the little guy! Its hard dogs are like your kids

They are like Kids without ever growing up :)

Less needy as well and in some instances you get more direct open love from your dog than from your kids :D

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2012, 02:38:32 AM »
Great eyes.
You will get over it - he did his job and his soul is now up to new things.

R.I.P.

whitewidow

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2012, 03:07:33 AM »
so it was a dachshund that passed? just wondering because that dosn't look like a dachshund in the picture.I posted a picture of my dachshund and you can see the diuffrence. was it a dachshund mixed? It dosn't change anything! I am just curious! I love dachshunds! It is the only dog I would buy. This is a horrible story. I would be down to pitch in with Gh15 this is a horrible story! I dont ean to sound like a dick but why didn't you take the dog in to a 24hr emergency vet faster? I guess that would not of changed anything. But If my dog will not eat some steak I know there is a problem! I feel horrible for you man! My dog is def like my son and It would kill me if anything ever happened to him. Once again hope things get better for you and I can see why you need a break! this is a serious blow if you are a dog lover!

whitewidow

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2012, 03:09:45 AM »
my condolences,

that is about the worst thing you could say!