Author Topic: Who sold what the best?  (Read 6015 times)

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
Who sold what the best?
« on: March 30, 2012, 08:51:05 AM »
No one has ever sold a Jake Roberts DDT or Rick Rude Rude Awakening like Rick Steamboat.  Every time he got one, you just knew for sure his neck was broken.

Ricky Morton made Arn Anderson's Spine Buster look like a work of art.

My favorite jobber Rocky King could sell a headlock like he just got shot with a taser gun.

Akeelsolid

• Getbig II
Re: Who sold what the best?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 09:29:39 AM »
Agreed fully about steamboat, when the macho man draped his larynx over the guard rail and struck him from the top rope then used the ring bell on him, I thought he really killed steamboat! That also in my view was the match of the night for wrestlemania III

Hogan was pretty good as well, when he would "grovel" @the foot of his opponent before he hulked up.

Andre also had that clothesline where he would stumble and wrap himself in the ropes

Mick Foley when the nastyboys hit him with the shovel when he was tag teaming with maxxpayne

anything with Bret Hart and Mr.perfect, the way perfect sold the face plants to the turnbuckle was a work of art.

Dusty and the horseman feuds as well.

The art of storytelling I really miss.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 02:50:06 PM »
From my list of favorite workers, my favorite sellers by far are Hennig and Steamers.

Bruno was so good that there were fans who actually cried and had panic attacks when "The Italian Stallion" was in trouble in the ring.

Triple H was/is awesome, as well. Oftentimes in matches, you’ll watch a guy have his leg worked heavily for 10-15 minutes. As soon as the match is over, he trots back to the dressing room as if nothing was wrong. So, WTF happened to the leg?
I noticed and admired years ago that Hunter always sold all the way back - a true craftsman!

I also remember liking the way the Dudley Boys sold at times.
But, of course, nobody comes close to “Screamin’ Norman Smiley.”

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 08:28:16 PM »
Shane O-Mac selling the Stunner!

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 09:14:21 PM »
nothing beats Akeem getting his head rammed into the turnbuckle by an opponent 6 times...

and when opponent lets go he keeps ramming his head in another few times LOL

Classic!
Flower Boy Ran Away

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 06:16:09 AM »
Not for anything but Dolph Zigler sells the shit of things

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 06:38:00 PM »
Kanyon getting a stunner from Austin when he took out the invasion always sticks in my mind. Nobody has ever sold it better.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 06:56:39 PM »
Agreed fully about steamboat, when the macho man draped his larynx over the guard rail and struck him from the top rope then used the ring bell on him, I thought he really killed steamboat! That also in my view was the match of the night for wrestlemania III

Hogan was pretty good as well, when he would "grovel" @the foot of his opponent before he hulked up.

Andre also had that clothesline where he would stumble and wrap himself in the ropes

Mick Foley when the nastyboys hit him with the shovel when he was tag teaming with maxxpayne

anything with Bret Hart and Mr.perfect, the way perfect sold the face plants to the turnbuckle was a work of art.

Dusty and the horseman feuds as well.

The art of storytelling I really miss.

Yeah I always wondered how Andre pulled off that move with the ropes...it's like he just fell back a certain way and instantly became stuck there.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 07:50:53 PM »
Yeah I always wondered how Andre pulled off that move with the ropes...it's like he just fell back a certain way and instantly became stuck there.

Andre loved doing that spot.
In fact, there was a bit of a problem when he was working the program with Hellwig.

Andre liked his opponent to hit him a few times and then back off so that he could do the rope spot. Ultimate Jim was only ever concerned with getting himself over, and would rush through that spot and move right onto the next, not giving Andre time to do his thing.
This went on every night they worked together on the tour.

Finally, Andre had enough the one night, and as Hellwig came off the ropes and was charging towards him, Andre held his fist out. The Ultimate Asshole did a face-plant that knocked him silly. The next night, Jim came at Andre nice and easy...just the way Andre liked. 8)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 06:55:30 AM »
 ;D   rob van damme best all-time selling the ddt or piledriver, somehow he makes it look like he has springs in his neck when he comes off the mat amazing.
F

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 09:19:53 AM »
;D   rob van damme best all-time selling the ddt or piledriver, somehow he makes it look like he has springs in his neck when he comes off the mat amazing.

Damn, I forgot all about that.
Yeah, RVD is an excellent worker in that regard (and others).
He also often sold the frog-splash better than his opponent.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 05:24:08 AM »
RVD in ECW was incredible.  His ring psychology is also underrated as, like Monty said, he would sell the frog splash and many other offensive moves as hurting himself as well.  He also understood pace and would build and build for a high-spot and then give the proper amount of time after it to show the damage and to recover.  Not like high-spot fest that many others would do that nobody showed any damage (unless they actually got hurt) and would just move on to the the next thing with no effects.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 02:19:30 PM »
RVD in ECW was incredible.  His ring psychology is also underrated as, like Monty said, he would sell the frog splash and many other offensive moves as hurting himself as well.  He also understood pace and would build and build for a high-spot and then give the proper amount of time after it to show the damage and to recover.  Not like high-spot fest that many others would do that nobody showed any damage (unless they actually got hurt) and would just move on to the the next thing with no effects.

Exactly! You do it because the time is right, NOT because it's the next move on your list.
And, that requires critical & analytical thinking and reacting; skills that elude an ever-increasing amount of talent.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2012, 12:42:50 AM »
It says alot when Mark Henry sells it alot better than Kofi  ::) Great move though

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2012, 04:19:58 AM »

Del Rios arm bar is the best submission in the show.

I'll give him credit (whether he came up with it or not); he took a legit submission move and added enough "flash" to it for use in pro. It does look good.