Author Topic: Are the Patriots the best Nfl franchise of the last decade?  (Read 2224 times)

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
Are the Patriots the best Nfl franchise of the last decade?
« on: March 31, 2012, 12:16:49 PM »
2001-20011 seasons.  Almost always in contention.  5 superbowl appearances, always in the playoffs........one of the lowest payrolls in the league.  I would have to say yes  8)

The_Infidel

• Getbig III
  • Professor of Bro-Science
Re: Are the Patriots the best Nfl franchise of the last decade?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 03:12:37 AM »
Yes

Except that they were taping the other team before the games.  Gave them a small edge wouldn't you say? 
Come at me Bro!

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 06:56:27 AM »
The Pats have been a dominant team in the last 10 years, but they're also a team that hasn't won a Super Bowl in 8 years.  

I'm a Yankees fan as well as a Giants fan.  The Yankee won 4 rings from 96-2000.   Then they absolutely dominated the next ten years in terms of regular season wins, playoff appearances, division titles etc....it's not even up for debate.   BUT, they won only ONE more WS from 00-09, despite 3 WS appearances.  As a Yankees fan, I don't brag about it.  They still lost in the playoffs.

Since the Pats last Super Bowl win, the Giants and Steelers have won two.  So, yeah, the Pats have been successful, but it's the hardware that counts, and it's been long time since they've acquired any.

Look at it this way, I'll bet any Pats fan would trade 4 of the last 8 seasons of making the playoffs for adding two more trophies.
Y

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 04:04:45 PM »
The Pats have been a dominant team in the last 10 years, but they're also a team that hasn't won a Super Bowl in 8 years.  

I'm a Yankees fan as well as a Giants fan.  The Yankee won 4 rings from 96-2000.   Then they absolutely dominated the next ten years in terms of regular season wins, playoff appearances, division titles etc....it's not even up for debate.   BUT, they won only ONE more WS from 00-09, despite 3 WS appearances.  As a Yankees fan, I don't brag about it.  They still lost in the playoffs.

Since the Pats last Super Bowl win, the Giants and Steelers have won two.  So, yeah, the Pats have been successful, but it's the hardware that counts, and it's been long time since they've acquired any.

Look at it this way, I'll bet any Pats fan would trade 4 of the last 8 seasons of making the playoffs for adding two more trophies.
Sure I'd take a few more trophies anyday.  The Patriots were a legit Dynasty though,  something that the Giants can't claim  ;D

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 04:06:52 PM »
Yes

Except that they were taping the other team before the games.  Gave them a small edge wouldn't you say? 
Please!  They were just the only ones who got caught.  Take a look at the Saints current situation.  Do you think they were the only team that had a bounty program?  Also the year that spygate came out, all the Pats did was go 16-0, and make it to the superbowl.  They didn't need the tapes  ;)

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 01:25:43 PM »
Sure I'd take a few more trophies anyday.  The Patriots were a legit Dynasty though,  something that the Giants can't claim  ;D

Enjoy the subjective titles.  I prefer the real ones.   ;D
Y

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 01:28:53 PM »
Please!  They were just the only ones who got caught.  Take a look at the Saints current situation.  Do you think they were the only team that had a bounty program?  Also the year that spygate came out, all the Pats did was go 16-0, and make it to the superbowl.  They didn't need the tapes  ;)

This meme is funny, because it's really the only line of defense a Pats fan can have.

The thing is, every team was NOT doing this, but it's moot.   The truth is, the Patriots secretly taped the first 20 or so plays from opposing teams.   During that time, they won 3 Super Bowls by a combined 9 points.   Draw your own conclusions to whether they had an impact.
Y

The_Infidel

• Getbig III
  • Professor of Bro-Science
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 12:16:53 AM »
Please!  They were just the only ones who got caught.  Take a look at the Saints current situation.  Do you think they were the only team that had a bounty program?  Also the year that spygate came out, all the Pats did was go 16-0, and make it to the superbowl.  They didn't need the tapes  ;)

That's a sorry excuse.  Their is no defense for their cheating so you try to deflect it on other teams.  Weak dude. 
Come at me Bro!

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 06:59:45 PM »
2001-20011 seasons.  Almost always in contention.  5 superbowl appearances, always in the playoffs........one of the lowest payrolls in the league.  I would have to say yes  8)

yes but who cares when the last super bowl win was 8 years ago?

i said on this forum back in 2005 that their run was over, it's looking like i was right

E
E

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 02:23:23 PM »
If you're talking 2000 to 2011, I'd say yes.  Five SB appearances is better than any other team in the NFL.  Really hard to do with the salary cap and free agency.  It's pretty remarkable. 

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 02:42:31 PM »
yes but who cares when the last super bowl win was 8 years ago?

i said on this forum back in 2005 that their run was over, it's looking like i was right

E
Getting to a superbowl is a feat in itself.  They have been to two more superbowls since 2005.  They also lost in the AFC Championship to the Colts in '06.  No other team is that close year after year.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 06:05:19 AM »
Getting to a superbowl is a feat in itself.  They have been to two more superbowls since 2005.  They also lost in the AFC Championship to the Colts in '06.  No other team is that close year after year.

What does it matter, though.  Boston fans always seem to pick arbitrary date ranges to measure their teams.   Who is the best over the last five years?  The Giants.  Yay, I win.

Truth is the Pats were dominant from 2001-2004.   Over the last eight years, however, they're more known for crushing playoff defeats (Jets/Colts), Super Bowl losses, and spygate. 
Y

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012, 05:56:22 AM »
What does it matter, though.  Boston fans always seem to pick arbitrary date ranges to measure their teams.   Who is the best over the last five years?  The Giants.  Yay, I win.

Truth is the Pats were dominant from 2001-2004.   Over the last eight years, however, they're more known for crushing playoff defeats (Jets/Colts), Super Bowl losses, and spygate. 
That was funny  ;D  But not true  >:(