Author Topic: Wow! 64.1% of American women are obese!  (Read 9786 times)

Army of One

• Getbig V
Wow! 64.1% of American women are obese!
« on: April 02, 2012, 06:52:55 PM »
You fat bastards, do you have to bring Harpoons on first dates?  :-X

US obesity 'higher than thought'
By James Gallagher

The obesity problem in the US may be much worse than previously thought, according to researchers.

They said using the Body Mass Index or BMI to determine obesity was underestimating the issue.

Their study, published in the journal Plos One, said up to 39% of people who were not currently classified as obese actually were.

The authors said "we may be much further behind than we thought" in tackling obesity.

BMI is a simple calculation which combines a person's height and weight to give a score which can be used to diagnose obesity. Somebody with a BMI of 30 or more is classed as obese.

The US Centers for Disease Control says at least one in three Americans are obese.

Other ways of diagnosing obesity include looking at how much of the body is made up of fat. A fat percentage of 25% or more for men or 30% or more for women is the threshold for obesity.

One of the researchers Dr Eric Braverman said: "The Body Mass Index is an insensitive measure of obesity, prone to under-diagnosis, while direct fat measurements are superior because they show distribution of body fat."

The team at the New York University School of Medicine and the Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, looked at records from 1,393 people who had both their BMI and body fat scores measured.

Their data showed that most of the time the two measures came to the same conclusion. However, they said 539 people in the study - or 39% - were not labelled obese according to BMI, but their fat percentage suggested they were.

They said the disparity was greatest in women and became worse when looking at older groups of women.

"Greater loss of muscle mass in women with age exacerbates the misclassification of BMI," they said.

They propose changing the thresholds for obesity: "A more appropriate cut-point for obesity with BMI is 24 for females and 28 for males."

A BMI of 24 is currently classed as a "normal" weight.

"By our cut-offs, 64.1% or about 99.8 million American women are obese," they said.

It is not the first time BMI has been questioned. A study by the University of Leicester said BMIs needed to be adjusted according to ethnicity.

Last year in the BBC's Scrubbing Up column, nutrition expert Dr Margaret Ashwell advocated using waist-to-height ratio to determine obesity.

She said: "It is a real worry that using BMI alone for screening could miss people who are at risk from central obesity and might also be alarming those whose risk is not as great as it appears from their BMI."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17585734

Nomad

• Getbig IV
Re: 64.1% of American women are obese!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 07:03:39 PM »
I'M KOREAN
SON OF A BITCH AMERICAN
AMERICAN IS PIG
DO YOU WANT A HAMBURGER?
DO YOU WANT A PIZZA?
AMERICAN IS PIG DISGUSTING
GEORGE WALKER BUSH IS A MURDERER
FUCKING U.S.A

On a sidenote:  Yet somehow the average American woman thinks she deserves a 6ft male who clears 100G a year after taxes, has a 8 inch dick and obeys her every command.

all drugs - TPPIIP

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 07:10:55 PM »
the definitions of fat, obese, etc were changed... watch the movie "Fat Head"

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 07:58:41 PM »
64.1% seems low

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 08:00:18 PM »
Well, this is promising.
X

darkrid3r

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 08:07:22 PM »
Look out your fucking window. Lazy fuckers.
Segway started it all, its all down hill now!!!

When you have to drive to 7-11 that is 2 blocks away because you get winded, all in the name of a super big gulp 1L of pop bulshit while stuffing your face with sweet chili heat doritos. But you get stuck behind your stearing wheel because your fat gut wont pass it without you moving the seat back, so you start sweating and have to hand the teller soggy money.

Like wholy fuck, slap them bitches with a frozen tuna fish!

Explain how they can work the street corner and still make money. My god, the world is coming to an end.
Here I am in my moms basement ranting on the internet about fat women. Muahahhaah

Let me put it this way for you getbiggers.
"If it was easy, everyone would do it"
OR for you hardcores.
"kick that bitch down the stairs"

END RANT:

Bodybuilder Lex Reeves

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 08:14:13 PM »
I'M KOREAN
SON OF A BITCH AMERICAN
AMERICAN IS PIG
DO YOU WANT A HAMBURGER?
DO YOU WANT A PIZZA?
FUCKING U.S.A

On a sidenote:  Yet somehow the average American woman thinks she deserves a 6ft male who clears 100G a year after taxes, has a 8 inch dick and obeys her every command.

Howdy friend. Do you practice Tae Kwon Do?

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
  • Big dude...all the way big dude.
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 08:17:30 PM »
I'M KOREAN
SON OF A BITCH AMERICAN
AMERICAN IS PIG
DO YOU WANT A HAMBURGER?
DO YOU WANT A PIZZA?
FUCKING U.S.A

Funny and true post..
O

T-rex

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 08:23:54 PM »
Their lack of willpower sickens me!

makaveli25

• Getbig V
  • RTR
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 08:29:47 PM »
Just look at pof you will get an idea of how fat American pigs are.

I was at the beach yesterday though my god. So many sexy girl running around in tiny little bathing suits. God what an amazing place to hang out at  :o I'm talking little skippy ass bathing suits. Girls shaking their asses at the beach bar. I'm glad I'm in shape. It makes it all worth it.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 08:31:42 PM »
64.0% of these women are on POF!  :-X
X

dogbowl

• Getbig IV
  • Team anyone except heath
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 09:03:53 PM »

TRIX

• Getbig IV
  • If you mess with me I'll have to fuck you up
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 01:20:07 AM »
disgusting filt

bradistani

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 02:31:08 AM »
You fat bastards, do you have to bring Harpoons on first dates?  :-X

US obesity 'higher than thought'
By James Gallagher

The obesity problem in the US may be much worse than previously thought, according to researchers.

They said using the Body Mass Index or BMI to determine obesity was underestimating the issue.

Their study, published in the journal Plos One, said up to 39% of people who were not currently classified as obese actually were.

The authors said "we may be much further behind than we thought" in tackling obesity.

BMI is a simple calculation which combines a person's height and weight to give a score which can be used to diagnose obesity. Somebody with a BMI of 30 or more is classed as obese.

The US Centers for Disease Control says at least one in three Americans are obese.

Other ways of diagnosing obesity include looking at how much of the body is made up of fat. A fat percentage of 25% or more for men or 30% or more for women is the threshold for obesity.

One of the researchers Dr Eric Braverman said: "The Body Mass Index is an insensitive measure of obesity, prone to under-diagnosis, while direct fat measurements are superior because they show distribution of body fat."

The team at the New York University School of Medicine and the Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, looked at records from 1,393 people who had both their BMI and body fat scores measured.

Their data showed that most of the time the two measures came to the same conclusion. However, they said 539 people in the study - or 39% - were not labelled obese according to BMI, but their fat percentage suggested they were.

They said the disparity was greatest in women and became worse when looking at older groups of women.

"Greater loss of muscle mass in women with age exacerbates the misclassification of BMI," they said.

They propose changing the thresholds for obesity: "A more appropriate cut-point for obesity with BMI is 24 for females and 28 for males."

A BMI of 24 is currently classed as a "normal" weight.

"By our cut-offs, 64.1% or about 99.8 million American women are obese," they said.

It is not the first time BMI has been questioned. A study by the University of Leicester said BMIs needed to be adjusted according to ethnicity.

Last year in the BBC's Scrubbing Up column, nutrition expert Dr Margaret Ashwell advocated using waist-to-height ratio to determine obesity.

She said: "It is a real worry that using BMI alone for screening could miss people who are at risk from central obesity and might also be alarming those whose risk is not as great as it appears from their BMI."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17585734

can't be true.. american women are all 10s and the 'hottest in the world' *snigger*

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 02:33:36 AM »
FILT!

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2012, 03:06:59 AM »
but the more appropriate question is...

what percentage of white females within the age range of 18-24 are obese?

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2012, 03:29:09 AM »
64.1% seems low

x2 - a generous estimate if ever there was one.

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2012, 04:01:31 AM »
I'M KOREAN
SON OF A BITCH AMERICAN
AMERICAN IS PIG
DO YOU WANT A HAMBURGER?
DO YOU WANT A PIZZA?
FUCKING U.S.A

A gimmick with potential. I LOLd.
G

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2012, 04:22:56 AM »
Yeah, I'm down South right now and wow, Americans are big people. There's a bloody fast food joint on every corner and every other corner has a billboard promoting fast food.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2012, 04:30:42 AM »
Amuuuricans live for getting fat, that's for sure. Their serving sizes are ginormous. Stop at any Denny's, Outback or some Irish-themed McGonnigals, etc. What's put in front of you is not a plate, but a platter.     ;D

The_Infidel

• Getbig III
  • Professor of Bro-Science
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2012, 04:33:38 AM »
I fucking told you so.  That's why I date 18 and 19 year olds. 
Come at me Bro!

Frank Clairmonte

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM KAI GREENE #BELIEVE
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2012, 04:40:26 AM »

Tiny Coq

• Getbig II
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2012, 04:46:04 AM »
im 5'9", 96kg (211lb) and about 10 - 12% bf.....and the machine read my BMI is OBESE!!!! HAHAHA! erm ok. i have no faith in this measurement so the figures are probably wrong.

mass243

• Getbig V
  • On right side of the history!
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2012, 05:45:44 AM »

Feminism is strong there.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2012, 05:52:15 AM »
im 5'9", 96kg (211lb) and about 10 - 12% bf.....and the machine read my BMI is OBESE!!!! HAHAHA! erm ok. i have no faith in this measurement so the figures are probably wrong.

that's what i'm saying... the rules about what 'fat' is have changed... americans are fatter.... but not that much fatter