Author Topic: Obama vs Romney  (Read 70183 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: Obama vs Romney
« Reply #900 on: October 25, 2012, 02:07:32 PM »
I don't think it's dumb.

Yes it is dumb and completely without any logic or fact to mittens' situation. 

Typical leftist bull shit "it takes a village" 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #901 on: October 25, 2012, 02:41:27 PM »
Yes it is dumb and completely without any logic or fact to mittens' situation. 

Typical leftist bull shit "it takes a village" 

I don't think that's very leftist to be honest.

It is pretty much what we call society.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #902 on: October 25, 2012, 02:42:15 PM »
I don't think that's very leftist to be honest.

It is pretty much what we call society.

Romney paid income taxes on the money he now pays capital gains on and people call him greedy and selfish?  Fucking please. 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #903 on: October 25, 2012, 02:44:50 PM »
Romney paid income taxes on the money he now pays capital gains on and people call him greedy and selfish?  Fucking please. 

I didn't call him greedy nor selfish... but I don't think if you are making over a million dollars that the extra few cents on every dollar OVER 1 million is a huge cost or unbelievable... I mean, let's be honest... If I make a million dollars and you take 400,000 of it in taxes... and I use all my loopholes and only end up paying 15%... So I get to keep 850K of it... Then what's so wrong with that?

I just don't see a problem.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #904 on: October 25, 2012, 02:50:10 PM »
I didn't call him greedy nor selfish... but I don't think if you are making over a million dollars that the extra few cents on every dollar OVER 1 million is a huge cost or unbelievable... I mean, let's be honest... If I make a million dollars and you take 400,000 of it in taxes... and I use all my loopholes and only end up paying 15%... So I get to keep 850K of it... Then what's so wrong with that?

I just don't see a problem.

????? 

WTF are you talking about. 

Who are you to say whats fair or not and what a few cents means to a person? 

And what is the govt doing w the money so much better that those who earned it should not be able to keep it? 

Personally i favor a flat tax on consumption and that it.  Everyone pays the same thing.   

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #905 on: October 25, 2012, 02:53:03 PM »

????? 

WTF are you talking about. 

Who are you to say whats fair or not and what a few cents means to a person? 

And what is the govt doing w the money so much better that those who earned it should not be able to keep it? 

Personally i favor a flat tax on consumption and that it.  Everyone pays the same thing.   

Well, I'm in favor of that too, but we don't have that... THIS is what we have... We have different brackets because SOME people make a SHIT TON less than other people... Pretty simple.

And I'm a fucking CITIZEN of the this country, that's why I get to have an OPINION on what's fair... You don't like it... Waaah!!!

That's what the country is about... We all get a say.

Just because YOU think it's unfair doesn't mean EVERYONE does.

I think its UNFAIR that steroids are fucking illegal, but the COUNTRY says it is, because THEY (OTHER CITIZENS) have deemed them to be illegal... So I have to follow the LAW.

That's how this place fucking works.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #906 on: October 25, 2012, 02:56:32 PM »
[ Invalid YouTube link ]

Ask Ben Stein.... He's exactly right... The Extreme rich... And I mean way beyond 250K a year... The reality is that if you make WAY much more money than more people, then you certainly aren't hurt by an extra few cents a dollar.

Ben Stein even corrects them... The highest tax rate was 91% back in the 50s.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #907 on: October 25, 2012, 02:59:42 PM »
[ Invalid YouTube link ]

Ask Ben Stein.... He's exactly right... The Extreme rich... And I mean way beyond 250K a year... The reality is that if you make WAY much more money than more people, then you certainly aren't hurt by an extra few cents a dollar.

Ben Stein even corrects them... The highest tax rate was 91% back in the 50s.

Well obama is proposing to jack taxpayers, sngle filier above 200k,

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #908 on: October 25, 2012, 03:02:23 PM »

Well obama is proposing to jack taxpayers, sngle filier above 200k,

And I believe that is the wrong number... I think it should 1 Million dollars and above... and the extra tax should be only on the 1st dollar over 1 Million and higher.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #909 on: October 25, 2012, 03:04:29 PM »
And I believe that is the wrong number... I think it should 1 Million dollars and above... and the extra tax should be only on the 1st dollar over 1 Million and higher.

That's fine - but

1.  it doesnt do jack shit on the debt or deficit

2.  Obama is promising more spending w that money - not to balance the books. 

Thus - Fuck obama until he shows he can be responsible w the money we give him now. 

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #910 on: October 25, 2012, 03:50:36 PM »
dumb
Good response, packed with points as usual.

G

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #911 on: October 25, 2012, 03:58:16 PM »
Election 2012: Virginia: Romney 50%, Obama 48% (Rasmussen)
 Rasmussen Reports ^ | Thursday, October 25, 2012 | Scott Rasmussen

Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2012 3:35:30 PM by Red Steel

Mitt Romney still earns 50% support in Virginia, but the presidential race remains a toss-up in the Old Dominion.

The latest Rasmussen Reports telephone survey of Likely Virginia Voters finds Romney with 50% support to President Obama’s 48%. Only one percent (1%) remains undecided. (To see survey question wording, click here.)

Last week, Romney hit the 50% mark for the first time here, while Obama earned 47% of the vote. With the exception of last week, however, the candidates have been within two points or less of each other in every survey in Virginia since April.

Virginia continues to be a Toss-Up in the Rasmussen Reports Electoral College Projections.

Ninety-two percent (92%) of the state’s voters now say they’ve made up their minds whom they will vote for. That’s up four points from last week.  Romney leads 52% to 48% among these voters.

Virginia voters trust Romney more than the president by a 51% to 46% margin when it comes to handling the economy. This is unchanged from a week ago. When it comes to national security and energy policy, it’s a near tie, with Romney posting a one-point edge over Obama in terms of voter trust on both issues. These findings are comparable to voter attitudes nationally.

Forty-eight percent (48%) in Virginia expect the economy to get better if Romney is elected and Republicans take control of Congress. Just 38% think that’s likely if Obama is reelected and Democrats take charge of Congress. If Romney wins, 38% believe the economy will get worse, compared to 42% who feel that will be the case if Obama wins.

How did you do in this week’s Rasmussen Challenge?  Check the leaderboard.

(Want a free daily e-mail update? If it's in the news, it's in our polls). Rasmussen Reports updates are also available on Twitter or Facebook.

The survey of 750 Likely Voters in Virginia was conducted on October 24, 2012 by Rasmussen Reports. The margin of sampling error is +/- 4 percentage points with a 95% level of confidence. Field work for all Rasmussen Reports surveys is conducted by Pulse Opinion Research, LLC. See methodology.

Twenty percent (20%) of Virginia voters now consider the U.S. economy god or excellent, while 45% describe it as poor. Thirty-six percent (36%) think the economy is getting better, but 41% say it’s getting worse.

Obama leads among voters who give the economy positive marks, while Romney is well ahead in the larger group that rates the economy as poor.

The Republican challenger leads by 15 among male voters in the state but trails by 10 among female voters. He has a small 49% to 45% advantage among voters not affiliated with either of the major parties.

Romney is viewed favorably by 52% of Virginia voters and unfavorably by 46%. This includes 39% with a Very Favorable opinion of him and 31% with a Very Unfavorable one.

For Obama, favorables are 51% and unfavorables 47%. This includes 39% with a Very Favorable view of the president and 40% with a Very Unfavorable one.

In 2008, Obama was the first Democrat to win Virginia since 1964 when he carried the state with 53% of the vote. Fifty percent (50%) of the state’s voters now approve of the job he is doing as president, while 49% disapprove. He earns Strong Approval from 40% and Strong Disapproval from 42%.

In addition to Virginia, Colorado, Iowa, New Hampshire, Ohio and Wisconsin are Toss-Ups. Obama is ahead in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Mexico, Pennsylvania and Washington. Romney leads in Arizona, Florida, Indiana, Missouri, North Carolina and North Dakota.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #912 on: October 25, 2012, 05:59:48 PM »
Rasmussen Poll: Romney Leads Obama in Swing States 50-46
Thursday, 25 Oct 2012

Mitt Romney is now attracting support from 50 percent of voters nationwide, while President Obama earns the vote from 47 percent — an indication that the GOP candidate is holding his lead and momentum after the final debate earlier this week.

More importantly, a new Rasmussen poll shows the Republican leading Obama in the crucial swing states that will determine the election, according to new data released Thursday.

The swing states collectively hold 146 Electoral College votes and include Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Michigan, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Wisconsin.

In the 11 swing states, Mitt Romney earns 50 percent of the vote to Obama’s 46 percent. Two percent like another candidate in the race, and another two percent are undecided.

This is now the third day in a row - and the fifth time in the past six days - that Romney has hit the 50 percent mark in the combined swing states in a Rassmussen poll.

The survey is conducted on a rolling seven-day basis, and most of the interviews for today’s update were completed before the end of Monday night’s presidential debate. Romney has now held a modest lead for 14 of the last 17 days; Obama was ahead twice, and the candidates ran even once.

The news comes as several new polls indicate Romney is losing ground in the key battleground state of Ohio while holding steady in electoral vote-rich Florida.

Even more surprisingly, an Associated Press-GfK poll released Thursday showed both candidates closing their formidable gender gaps. Romney has erased Obama's 16-point advantage among women, the poll showed. And the president, in turn, has largely eliminated Romney's edge among men.

Those churning gender dynamics leave the presidential race still a virtual dead heat, with Romney favored by 47 percent of likely voters and Obama by 45 percent, a result within the AP poll's margin of sampling error.

Heading into the first presidential debate, Obama was up two in the Rassmussen poll. Heading into the final debate, Romney had a two-point advantage.

“In the swing state of New Hampshire, Romney is up two, while the president has the edge in Nevada. In Ohio, the race is now tied at 48 percent," according to Rasmussen. But a much-discussed Time Magazine poll released Wednesday showed Romney down in Ohio by five points.

Rasmussen Reports Electoral College projections showed the president with 237 Electoral Votes and Romney 235 on Thursday. The magic number needed to win the White House is 270. Seven states with 66 Electoral College votes remain Toss-ups: Colorado, Iowa, Nevada, New Hampshire, Ohio, Virginia, and Wisconsin.

A president’s job approval rating is one of the best indicators for assessing his chances of reelection, according to Rasmussen. Typically, the president’s job approval rating on Election Day will be close to the share of the vote he receives. Currently, 49 percent of voters say they at least somewhat approve of the president's job performance. Fifty percent at least somewhat disapprove.

Obama could benefit from the economy's improving picture. The housing market is looking a little stronger. Fifty-five percent of homeowners now believe their home is worth more than the mortgage.

Rasmussen Reports polling tends to show less volatility than other polls for a variety of reasons. In 2008, it showed virtually no change during the final 40 days of the campaign.

Then-candidate Obama was between 50 percent and 52 percent in our polling every single day. He generally held a five- or six-point lead, occasionally bouncing up to an eight-point advantage and only once falling below a four point-lead. This stable assessment of the race is consistent with the reality of what we know about voter behavior. Obama won the election by a 53 percent to 46 percent margin.

Intensity of support or opposition can have an impact on campaigns. Currently, 29 percent of the nation's voters strongly approve of the way Obama is performing as president, according to Rasmussen Forty-one percent strongly disapprove, giving him a Presidential Approval Index rating of -12 .

During midterm elections, intensity of support can have a tremendous impact on turnout. That was demonstrated in 2010 when Republicans and unaffiliated voters turned out in large numbers to express opposition to the Obama administration’s policies.

However, in presidential election years, there is a smaller impact on turnout. Still, all indications so far for Election 2012 suggest that Republicans are more engaged and more likely to turn out.

http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/rasmussen-swing-states-obama/2012/10/25/id/461496

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #913 on: October 25, 2012, 06:45:08 PM »
Hey, I've got an idea.

Let's post every poll we see on the internet.
G

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #914 on: October 25, 2012, 06:57:42 PM »
Meat Loaf endorses Romney at rally in Defiance
Toledo Blade ^ | October 25, 2012

Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2012 9:58:59 PM by SMGFan

DEFIANCE, Ohio - Mitt Romney rallied a large crowd in the high school football stadium here tonight after surprise musical guest Meat Loaf belted out an endorsement for the Republican presidential nominee to the crowd of 12,000 people.

Mr. Romney ended a three-city tour of Ohio here and then was to stay overnight at the Hilton Toledo Hotel, with no public events planned.

He is expected to fly out of Toledo Express Airport Friday morning to go to a campaign event in another swing state, Iowa, before returning for a rally Friday night in North Canton, Ohio.

Meat Loaf said he has never taken a public stand but said 2012 is the most important election in the history of the U.S.

"One thing you've been taught all your life is never argue politics or religion with your friends. 2012 is different," he said, telling people to argue on Mr. Romney's behalf. "I called three Democrats and got two of them to switch to Romney, so two out of three ain't bad."

Mr. Romney tailored his remarks to middle-aged workers, young people, and parents. He told college students that, "I know the President wants to get college students to come out and vote for him, but if they do, they're making a big mistake. Half of them won't be able to find a job or at least not one consistent with their college degree."

He said they'll also be stuck with "debts wracked up by me and my generation."

He vowed to cut federal spending, cap federal spending as a percentage of the economy, and get the country on track to a balanced budget. He claimed that health insurance costs will skyrocket because of Obamacare, which he said he would repeal.

(Excerpt) Read more at toledoblade.com ...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #915 on: October 26, 2012, 10:17:39 AM »
Is Obama's 'firewall' crumbling
 Daily Mail ^

Posted on Friday, October 26, 2012 12:26:56 PM by Arthurio

Mitt Romney is now tied with Barack Obama in Wisconsin, one of the 'firewall' states the president hoped would protect him against defeats in Florida and Virginia, according to a new poll.

Rasmussen found that Romney and Obama were tied on 49 per cent in the state, which Obama won in a 14-point landslide in 2008.

Buoyed by internal polling which shows similar numbers, Romney is to head to Wisconsin next week, as first reported by MailOnline last Tuesday. He will hold a rally in the Milwaukee area on Tuesday morning.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2223657/Romney-travel-Wisconsin-desperate-Obama-tries-cling-turf-won-2008.html#ixzz2AQHTy38e Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

(Excerpt) Read more at dailymail.co.uk ...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #916 on: October 26, 2012, 05:12:17 PM »
Gallup: Romney Now Up by 5 Over Obama
Friday, 26 Oct 2012
By Todd Beamon

Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney has increased his lead over President Barack Obama to 5 points among likely voters in the latest Gallup Daily Tracking Poll.

The former Massachusetts governor now leads Obama, 51 percent to 46 percent, according to the latest survey of 2,700 likely voters conducted Oct. 19-25.

That’s up 2 points from Romney’s lead on Wednesday – and it’s even with the former Massachusetts governor’s lead on Tuesday, the day after his final debate with the president at Lynn University in Boca Raton, Fla.

But among registered voters, the presidential race is a dead heat, at 48 percent each, according to the polling firm.

Gallup is now calling the race a dead heat.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/gallup-romney-obama-election/2012/10/26/id/461669

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #917 on: October 27, 2012, 02:22:56 PM »

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #918 on: October 28, 2012, 01:18:49 PM »
 :D

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #919 on: October 28, 2012, 02:50:09 PM »
Free Republic
Browse · Search   Pings · Mail   News/Activism
Topics · Post Article
Skip to comments.

Dem warning: Obama could lose Wisconsin
The Washington Examiner ^ | 10/28/12 | Alan Blinder
Posted on October 28, 2012, 5:30:11 PM EDT by markomalley

The Democratic mayor of Denver said Sunday that President Obama could lose the battleground state of Wisconsin if the incumbent’s supporters fail to increase early voter turnout in the Badger State.

“If the election was held today, President Barack Obama would lose the state of Wisconsin because where his base is, we have not turned out the vote early," Mayor Michael Hancock told a Democratic rally. "The suburbs and rural parts of Wisconsin – the Republican base – are voting. President Obama’s base has yet to go vote.

"We've got to get our people to go vote," Hancock said.

Early voting, which began in Wisconsin on Oct. 22, is a central component of Obama’s strategy to win the state. The president won Wisconsin four years ago by 14 percentage points, but recent polls show the race with Republican Mitt Romney tightening, and that is fueling Republican enthusiasm about their chances of seizing the state.

In a later interview with The Washington Examiner, Hancock said he was confident Obama would emerge from Wisconsin victorious.

“There’s a great deal of enthusiasm,” Hancock said. “We expect clearly that President Obama will win the state of Wisconsin.”

But he also said that it’s vital for Obama’s base to make it to the polls in Wisconsin.

“This is a very close race, and the point we’re trying to make is make sure the base shows up, turns out and begins to vote early,” Hancock said. “I saw where the votes were rolling in, and I said we’ve got to make sure that where the president’s base is, they get out and vote.”

Hancock was in Wisconsin to stump for Obama, but the Obama campaign said their surrogates portrayal of where the race stands doesn't match the early voting statistics they've seen.

“We are very grateful that Mayor Hancock came and did what we need to do, which is keep people enthused. He is absolutely right that we have to get our base out,” Joe Zepecki, a spokesman for Obama’s campaign in Wisconsin, said. “But the numbers we are seeing do not back up his assessment that our base is not turning out.”

Zepecki said the campaign remains optimistic nine days from Election Day.

“We are seeing a lot of enthusiasm and a lot of turnout in the places where we need to see it,” Zepecki said. “We’re very confident.”

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #920 on: October 28, 2012, 02:56:48 PM »
http://nation.foxnews.com/polls/2012/10/26/gallup-releases-bombshell-survey

LANDSLIDE COMING!!!!

From the article: "This year, however, the Democrat advantage has disappeared. 49% of likely voters today identify as GOP or lean GOP. Just 46% of likely voters are or lean towards the Democrats. This is a 15-point swing towards the GOP from 2008 to an outright +3 advantage for the GOP."

That's not bad news, overall. But I have to say, this article must have been written by someone with zero understanding of statistics and not a single idea about what poll numbers mean, especially with differences that fall within the margin of error and how they must be interpreted if they are to make any sense.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #921 on: October 28, 2012, 03:07:17 PM »
if we did a national popular vote, romney would win it, lights out.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #922 on: October 28, 2012, 03:23:39 PM »
Free Republic
Browse · Search   Pings · Mail   Bloggers & Personal
Topics · Post Article
Skip to comments.

Obama going out ugly
Chuck Morse Speaks ^ | Oct 29, 2012 | Chuck Morse
Posted on October 28, 2012 5:22:14 PM EDT by Chuckmorse

The last wretched and pathetic week of the Obama campaign reminds me of the final wimpy gasps of the campaign of Michael Dukakis back in 2008 when dwindling numbers of left-wing Democrats gathered around Hollywood actors. In a sort of be-in experience, they could be heard moaning about how "frightened" they were for the future. Now we have Obama's top 1%er friends over at the mega Ad Agency Goodby Silverstein creating a commercial in which they employ children to sing a "We are the World" type ditty asking us to: "Imagine an America Where strip mines are fun and free. Where gays can be fixed And sick people just die and oil fills the sea."

Here in Boston, we have Boston Phoenix chief political writer David Bernstein predicting that if Romney is elected the atmosphere will become unsustainable within a couple of decades due to the alleged pollution Romney will cause. And, or course, their is the ongoing alleged war against women being waged by the Republicans. Apparently even this, the centerpiece of the campaign, hasn't gone off all that well given that in recent polling indicates that Romney has moved toward closing the gender gap. Maybe women aren't as easily "frightened" as President Obama assumed they would be.

Of course there is the old chestnut, the charge of racism being trotted out by Chris Matthews, a charge that will no doubt grow cacophonous in the final desperate days. Let's examine that very serious charge briefly. Obama won handily in 2008 garnering over 5% over his Republican opponent Senator John McCain. Does this mean that this 4% and over that is now supporting Romney have decided, sometime during these past four years, that they no longer like African-American men and women? Have they decided that since President Barack Obama is African-American, and since they no longer like African-Americans, they can therefore no longer support Obama as President? Oh yes, that must be why Obama has slipped in the polls.

And then there is the charge of Republicans supporting rape. Oh yes, that's a good one. Last I checked it has been liberal judges, appointed by liberal Democrats, who have been handing down lenient sentences for rapists these past several decades. It was liberals who have decriminalized activities that were once considered rape. I would even venture to speculate, and this is sheer unsupported opinion, that the majority of those accused of rape these past several decades have themselves been liberals.

Expect Obama to throw the kitchen sink at Romney in these last decrepit days of his campaign. Perhaps the one mistake made by the Obama people was to go out with that ad accusing Romney of murder last summer. One would think they would've waited 48 hours before the polls opened for that one. Well it backfired.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #923 on: October 28, 2012, 07:27:18 PM »
Why Is Obama So Nasty and Vulgar?
 PJ Media ^ | 10-28-2012 | Michael Ledeen - Commentary

Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2012 10:21:26 PM by smoothsailing

October 28, 2012

Why Is Obama So Nasty and Vulgar?
 Michael Ledeen

Rude, insulting language about Romney (“bullsh****r) from the president. Vulgar sexual innuendo, aimed at seducing young women to vote for him. The vice president asking a bereaved parent about the size of his murdered son’s testicles. It’s quite a spectacle. We’re a fractious people, and our politics have always been full of colorful language, but I can’t recall the current depth of vulgarity. The “politics of personal destruction” have gotten uglier. Does it mean anything? Should we try to understand it?

First, it bespeaks a coarsening of public language. No surprise there (Romney’s gentlemanlyness is more surprising, in fact); for a long time our movies and television have abandoned the rules that banned certain words and phrases. Still, until recently, our political leaders have avoided such vulgarities, at least in their public rhetoric. No more, at least at the highest level of the current Democrat Party.

Second, it shows the shrinking vocabulary of our political life. There are plenty of usable and powerful synonyms of “buls*****r,” but a graduate of Harvard Law School didn’t have any of them on the tip of his tongue. Or perhaps he just preferred the vulgarity.

Third, it is yet another step in the erasure of the line that once divided public and private. We always knew that there was (sometimes) a big difference between public image and private behavior. No man (except maybe Sir Winston) is a hero to his valet, etc. etc. But still, there were proprieties, rules for public decorum, and those who fell from grace in public were criticized and excoriated for falling. No more, at least so far as I can see among the Democrat faithful.

To be sure, there’s a difference between the two parties. When male Republican candidates make disgusting and ridiculous statements about rape, the faithful turn on them, properly so IMHO, but neither Obama nor Biden has come in for punishment for their use of obscenities and vulgarities.

So the rules for proper decorum are out the window, and the former arbiters of good taste are on board, ratifying the changes by their silence. It’s a shame, but there you have it.

But the arbiters–the intellectuals, the elite punditocracy et. al.–can’t dictate standards to the rest of us, even though they often delude themselves into believing they can. The politicians who indulge in the new nastiness clearly believe it’s fine with us, because they think their elitist friends dictate standards to the rest of us. I think they’re wrong. When only EIGHT PERCENT of Americans have a positive view of the media, it tells you something, after all. And when I read about the sudden 7 percent drop in Obama’s approval ratings in three days, I suspect it has something to do with bulls*****r and losing-your-virginity-is-like-voting-for-Barack ads, and Biden’s disgusting remarks [1] to a bereaved father.

It’s a continuation of a process that began with the first debate, in which Obama tip-toed out from behind the curtain on the central stage of Oz, and showed us who he really is. Not a great leader, certainly not a messianic figure. Indeed, as we now see, he’s a bum. It’s a shock to lots of Americans, who previously were willing to grant that the president had his faults but was basically a good man, a nice guy, and a cultured gentleman. He showed them he was none of those things.

I think that was a real shock to a meaningful chunk of the electorate, and it would not have been nearly so potent if it had come from a book or an oped. Its power comes from the fact that Obama showed it himself.

It shouldn’t have been hard to foresee the consequences of his self-revelation. So why did he do it? He’s certainly capable of dissimulation. The One who won the presidency four years ago did not present himself this way. He and his acolytes very carefully portrayed him as a transcendent figure, a new kind of leader, the incarnation of elegance and brilliance. And that succeeded. So what’s up?

I think he’s cracking, and the inner nastiness and vulgarity are on display. He’s losing, and he’s angry, and he can no longer sustain the pretense of elegance and coolness.

Nobody ever said he was disciplined, did they?

Moreover, he is the victim of his own myth, the “I have a special gift” legend that is the core doctrine of his powerful narcissism. He thinks he is so charismatic, and so wonderful, that if we see him in all his splendor, we will love him as he so loves himself.

I think that’s false, and I think the shifts in the polls–people suddenly like Romney, people suddenly turning away from Obama–demonstrate that. We’ll see for sure on the 6th of November.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #924 on: October 28, 2012, 08:01:57 PM »
Free Republic
Browse · Search   Pings · Mail   News/Activism
Topics · Post Article
Skip to comments.

Dem warning: Obama could lose Wisconsin
The Washington Examiner ^ | 10/28/12 | Alan Blinder
Posted on October 28, 2012, 5:30:11 PM EDT by markomalley

The Democratic mayor of Denver said Sunday that President Obama could lose the battleground state of Wisconsin if the incumbent’s supporters fail to increase early voter turnout in the Badger State.

“If the election was held today, President Barack Obama would lose the state of Wisconsin because where his base is, we have not turned out the vote early," Mayor Michael Hancock told a Democratic rally. "The suburbs and rural parts of Wisconsin – the Republican base – are voting. President Obama’s base has yet to go vote.

"We've got to get our people to go vote," Hancock said.

Early voting, which began in Wisconsin on Oct. 22, is a central component of Obama’s strategy to win the state. The president won Wisconsin four years ago by 14 percentage points, but recent polls show the race with Republican Mitt Romney tightening, and that is fueling Republican enthusiasm about their chances of seizing the state.

In a later interview with The Washington Examiner, Hancock said he was confident Obama would emerge from Wisconsin victorious.

“There’s a great deal of enthusiasm,” Hancock said. “We expect clearly that President Obama will win the state of Wisconsin.”

But he also said that it’s vital for Obama’s base to make it to the polls in Wisconsin.

“This is a very close race, and the point we’re trying to make is make sure the base shows up, turns out and begins to vote early,” Hancock said. “I saw where the votes were rolling in, and I said we’ve got to make sure that where the president’s base is, they get out and vote.”

Hancock was in Wisconsin to stump for Obama, but the Obama campaign said their surrogates portrayal of where the race stands doesn't match the early voting statistics they've seen.

“We are very grateful that Mayor Hancock came and did what we need to do, which is keep people enthused. He is absolutely right that we have to get our base out,” Joe Zepecki, a spokesman for Obama’s campaign in Wisconsin, said. “But the numbers we are seeing do not back up his assessment that our base is not turning out.”

Zepecki said the campaign remains optimistic nine days from Election Day.

“We are seeing a lot of enthusiasm and a lot of turnout in the places where we need to see it,” Zepecki said. “We’re very confident.”

So much for that vaunted ground game. If Obama is struggling to get early turnout in Wisconsin, as well as Ohio, that landslide you keep predicting may indeed come to fruition.