Author Topic: Obama: When I struggle, I just think of Jesus’ agony in the garden  (Read 1349 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Obama: When I struggle, I just think of Jesus’ agony in the garden
Hotair ^ | 04/04/2012 | Tina Korbe

At a prayer breakfast this morning, President Barack Obama said he looks to the story of Jesus' passion, death and resurrection for inspiration whenever he struggles:

The president got "Amens" from religious leaders at a White House prayer breakfast in the East Room as he recounted Jesus saying, "In this world, you will have trouble."

Obama says he's among those who sometimes question God's plan for him. But he says that's precisely when he recalls the "triumph" of the Easter story, and Jesus overcoming his doubts and fears before the crucifixion.

This isn't the first time Obama has cited Jesus and his Christian faith as an animating force in his life. A media double standard applies here, as it does in so many things: When GOP candidates talk about religion, they're often criticized for somehow not respecting Thomas Jefferson's principle of the separation of church and state, but, to my knowledge, Obama has never been criticized along the same lines for his religiously themed comments.

In the interest of avoiding a double standard myself, though, I’ll write that I find Obama’s comments encouraging. They display none of the weak understanding of Scripture that some of his past comments did; they’re just a generic tribute to the Easter story near the Easter holiday. While such a tribute might very well have had a partial political motivation, it might also have been sincere. Either way, it says something positive about this country that our president knows statements like these won’t hurt his standing in the eyes of the electorate.

More importantly, though, the passage he cited is a good one for any president — but especially for progressive presidents — to contemplate. “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace,” Jesus says in the Gospel of John, Chapter 16. “In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” Perhaps pondering that verse with regularity will help Obama to realize that earthly utopia is neither the aim of Christianity nor a possibility in this fallen world. Perhaps that realization, in turn, will inspire him to recognize, “The purpose of politics is not redemptive” and that “When governments seek after utopia, they end in oppression and disaster, because man and society are infinitely complex, and cannot be reshaped by an aristocracy of experts. Humility is the only proper attitude for governing authorities,” as Heritage Foundation president Ed Feulner has written.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
Re: Obama: When I struggle, I just think of Jesus’ agony in the garden
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 11:37:03 AM »
he isnt muslim?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 11:38:46 AM »

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 11:41:10 AM »
HEHEHEHEEH!!!

Does he sweat blood?

Oh, man. You can't make this crap up. HAHAHAAHAHAH!!

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 11:58:37 AM »
OMG !!!!

How inappropriate to talk about feeling inspiration from jesus, especially at a prayer breakfast just a few days before Easter

WTF ??

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 12:01:56 PM »
OMG !!!!

How inappropriate to talk about feeling inspiration from jesus, especially at a prayer breakfast just a few days before Easter

WTF ??

I didnt know that facing resistence from trying to push marxism, communism, islamism, and kenyanism is akin to dying and being tortured.   

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 12:06:18 PM »

I didnt know that facing resistence from trying to push marxism, communism, islamism, and kenyanism is akin to dying and being tortured.   

Obviously you've forgotten that jesus was pushing marxism, communism, islamism and kenyanism

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 12:07:39 PM »
Obviously you've forgotten that jesus was pushing marxism, communism, islamism and kenyanism

He wasnt, that is why slumbama's pandering bs is so ridiculous.   

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 12:08:18 PM »
He wasnt, that is why slumbama's pandering bs is so ridiculous.   

of course he was

in exactly the same way that Obama is

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 12:11:50 PM »
oh messiah!  lol

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 01:15:17 PM »
he said this at the Easter Prayer Breakfast at the White House  :D :D :D :D wow  :o :o

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 01:18:11 PM »
he said this at the Easter Prayer Breakfast at the White House  :D :D :D :D wow  :o :o

Whatever - he is a pandering joke.   

I wonder if he donned a hoodie too. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 01:27:50 PM »
This thread belongs in  the category of "Idiotic Shit"

Fuck you bitch. You post some of the most idiotic shit on the site. says your 80k posts...

Yes I do, and I freely admit that.    But this issue has been one where people completely are avoiding the actual facts of the matter in place of emotionalism.
[/quote

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 01:31:27 PM »
This thread belongs in  the category of "Idiotic Shit"

Yes I do, and I freely admit that.    But this issue has been one where people completely are avoiding the actual facts of the matter in place of emotionalism.
[/quote

Well the only things you hardcore stalinists seem to want to discus is trayvon, rubbers, palin, comedians, etc. 

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 03:27:16 PM »
 ::)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2012, 03:44:49 PM »
Yawn.   More trolling and stalking - the two trademarks of the gay communist left. 

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2012, 03:55:44 PM »
More lying and crying.  The two trademarks of loser shut ins.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2012, 07:46:27 PM »
oh messiah!  lol

my internet sarcasm often fails

my point was the jesus wasn't selling marxism, communism, islamism, and kenyanism

and neither is Obama

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2012, 07:56:07 PM »
my internet sarcasm often fails

my point was the jesus wasn't selling marxism, communism, islamism, and kenyanism

and neither is Obama

Yeah kind of hard to do with the written word.   :)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2012, 07:58:12 PM »
Thug ghetto Bama should instead try to relate to the story of judas than anyone else as this Marxist stalinist traitor sold us out for 3o shillings. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2012, 08:06:03 PM »
Yeah kind of hard to do with the written word.   :)

I thought the inclusion of "kenyanism" made my it obvious

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2012, 04:40:22 PM »
Unfamiliar with his “Christian beliefs”, Obama declares “Jesus had doubts”
coachisright.com ^ | April 8, 2012 | Kevin "Coach" Collins
Posted on April 8, 2012 4:07:37 PM EDT by jmaroneps37

Maybe somebody should call Father Jenkins at Notre Dame and ask him to teach his pal Barack a bit about the religious doctrines Obama professes to believe.

Last Wednesday at a White House Prayer Breakfast Barack Obama took his plan to redesign Christian doctrine up a notch.

To the stunned amazement of onlookers Obama the Muslim trained and educated president challenged the divinity of Jesus Christ. Of course he thought he was clever with his sop to Islam and his “finger in the eye” pronouncement, but his remarks leave no doubt about his continuing hostility toward the biggest obstacle to Islam’s world domination: Roman Catholicism.

Comparing himself to Jesus Christ, Obama told his audience, “For like us, Jesus knew doubt. Like us, Jesus knew fear. In the garden of Gethsemane, with attackers closing in around him, Jesus told His disciples, ‘my soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. We all have experiences that shake our faith. There are times where we have questions for God’s plan relative to us. But that’s precisely when we should remember Christ’s own doubts and eventually his own triumph.”

A professor of theology at a Catholic – Catholic university (as opposed to the fake “Catholic” universities) commented on Obama’s remarks saying, “My question is what would He be doubting? Would He be doubting the Father’s care and merciful love?

Is He doubting the value of his mission? I don’t think there is any real context that I could understand to say Jesus doubted.”

Keeping in mind that Muslims don’t believe Jesus was divine makes sense of these remarks. Obama was obviously projecting his own “doubts” about who Jesus was …..“….the Bible does not say Jesus who is God had any doubts. But why would Obama know that?

(Excerpt) Read more at coachisright.com ...

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2012, 05:37:05 PM »
Unfamiliar with his “Christian beliefs”, Obama declares “Jesus had doubts”
coachisright.com ^ | April 8, 2012 | Kevin "Coach" Collins
Posted on April 8, 2012 4:07:37 PM EDT by jmaroneps37

Maybe somebody should call Father Jenkins at Notre Dame and ask him to teach his pal Barack a bit about the religious doctrines Obama professes to believe.

Last Wednesday at a White House Prayer Breakfast Barack Obama took his plan to redesign Christian doctrine up a notch.

To the stunned amazement of onlookers Obama the Muslim trained and educated president challenged the divinity of Jesus Christ. Of course he thought he was clever with his sop to Islam and his “finger in the eye” pronouncement, but his remarks leave no doubt about his continuing hostility toward the biggest obstacle to Islam’s world domination: Roman Catholicism.

Comparing himself to Jesus Christ, Obama told his audience, “For like us, Jesus knew doubt. Like us, Jesus knew fear. In the garden of Gethsemane, with attackers closing in around him, Jesus told His disciples, ‘my soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. We all have experiences that shake our faith. There are times where we have questions for God’s plan relative to us. But that’s precisely when we should remember Christ’s own doubts and eventually his own triumph.”

A professor of theology at a Catholic – Catholic university (as opposed to the fake “Catholic” universities) commented on Obama’s remarks saying, “My question is what would He be doubting? Would He be doubting the Father’s care and merciful love?

Is He doubting the value of his mission? I don’t think there is any real context that I could understand to say Jesus doubted.”

Keeping in mind that Muslims don’t believe Jesus was divine makes sense of these remarks. Obama was obviously projecting his own “doubts” about who Jesus was …..“….the Bible does not say Jesus who is God had any doubts. But why would Obama know that?

(Excerpt) Read more at coachisright.com ...

WTF?
G