Author Topic: Vegetables  (Read 4155 times)

Glass Gorilla

• Getbig II
Vegetables
« on: April 04, 2012, 01:15:51 PM »
They suck.

However, gaining size requires a tremendous food intake which in turn makes the digestive system work extra hard.

What vegetables do you find best for digestive health, and what is the most simple and effective way to prepare them?

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
Re: Vegetables
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 02:03:11 PM »
The best way to cook them is probably to steam them so they retain most of their nutrients,or raw.

Some of the best IMO:

Broccoli
Green Beans
Salads
Asparagus
Kidney Beans
Tomatoes
Spinach
Romaine Lettuce
Lentils
Peas

Glass Gorilla

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 02:09:57 PM »
Good stuff, Wes. What about cucumbers and carrots, as those are 2 that are easy to eat raw...

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 02:58:11 PM »
The best way to cook them is probably to steam them so they retain most of their nutrients,or raw.

Some of the best IMO:

Broccoli
Green Beans
Salads
Asparagus
Kidney Beans
Tomatoes
Spinach
Romaine Lettuce
Lentils
Peas

Good list, Wesley.
Spinach is probably my favorite - raw & cooked.
Kale is a good alternative to spinach, and is in season when spinach is not. You can also cook with kale, but it doesn't break down as much as its dark leafy green cousin. Kale is awesome garnish to put on a variety of foods; I prefer it to lettuce on my sandwiches. I've also simply eaten a big bowl of it salad-style.

Honorable mention should go to seaweed, which has plenty of benefits to merit a place on our list: http://www.oceanvegetables.com/

Glass Gorilla

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 04:41:55 PM »

Good list, Wesley.
Spinach is probably my favorite - raw & cooked.
Kale is a good alternative to spinach, and is in season when spinach is not. You can also cook with kale, but it doesn't break down as much as its dark leafy green cousin. Kale is awesome garnish to put on a variety of foods; I prefer it to lettuce on my sandwiches. I've also simply eaten a big bowl of it salad-style.

Honorable mention should go to seaweed, which has plenty of benefits to merit a place on our list: http://www.oceanvegetables.com/

I had some kelp one time and it was pure shit. Maybe I'll just start doing the Green Drink Joe Rogan does  :-X :-X

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 04:45:57 PM »
I had some kelp one time and it was pure shit. Maybe I'll just start doing the Green Drink Joe Rogan does  :-X :-X

LOL!!!
One more thing I'll add about Kale is that I believe it is supposed to be one of - if not, THE MOST - nutrient-dense vegetable known.
I strongly suggest trying it.

Glass Gorilla

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 06:23:54 PM »

LOL!!!
One more thing I'll add about Kale is that I believe it is supposed to be one of - if not, THE MOST - nutrient-dense vegetable known.

Sounds like some good stuff!

I'll give it a go when I get the chance.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 06:27:44 PM »
Try roasting any of these with olive oil and a rain of Kosher salt 425 approx.20-25 min.  Roasting might change your mind!

Asparagus
Broccoli
Carrots
Cauliflower
Green Beans
Sweet bell peppers
Sweet potatoes

LOL!!!

I'm going to try growing that this year & then roast it!
 :D
:

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 07:00:30 PM »

Nice!
Let me know how it works for you.
I LOVE the stuff!

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 07:13:47 PM »
I think iread somewhere that that the nutrients in broccoli are best absorbed when it is cooked?  Any truth to this?

I'm only going from memory, here, but - and I believe this holds true for many vegetables - that there are some nutrients that are absorbed better raw, while others are better absorbed in cooked form.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 07:18:20 PM »
I think iread somewhere that that the nutrients in broccoli are best absorbed when it is cooked?  Any truth to this?

Some nutrients are destroyed with the cooking process - that goes for anything, but other nutrients are made more available when slightly cooked because it breaks down the cellulose making it easier for us to digest.
:

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 03:17:42 AM »
Good stuff, Wes. What about cucumbers and carrots, as those are 2 that are easy to eat raw...

Cucumbers are fruit. Carrots are ok. I would suggest that the darker the green and the bushier the leaf, the better it is for you.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 05:21:00 AM »
Cucumbers are fruit. Carrots are ok. I would suggest that the darker the green and the bushier the leaf, the better it is for you.

This is the impression I always got. I think some folks shy away from that variety because it's got a stronger taste. Personally, I like the flavor of brussel sprouts, spinach, asparagus, etc., but if it bothers anyone, sometimes fresher produce has a somewhat milder taste.
There are also some healthy recipes for caseroles and other dishes that you can make that incorporate the above-mentioned veggies.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 05:53:06 AM »
I make carrot and celery sticks to snack on when dieting.........the celery is pretty good when dipped in natty peanut butter as long as you don`t eat the whole jar!   :D

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 05:54:25 AM »
Try roasting any of these with olive oil and a rain of Kosher salt 425 approx.20-25 min.  Roasting might change your mind!

Asparagus
Broccoli
Carrots
Cauliflower
Green Beans
Sweet bell peppers
Sweet potatoes

I love roasted peppers,and peppers and onions sauteed` in olive oil..........I`d kill someone just for the smell of them cooking in oil!

Good thread!

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 06:25:09 AM »
Lately, I’ve been on an avocado kick. I simply remove the skin and seed, mash it with a fork, and add a little sea salt, fresh ground black pepper, and olive oil. This is a tasty, calorie-dense snack full of healthy fats.

Our Aldi has avocados for $0.49-$0.69/pc.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 07:17:29 AM »
Lately, I’ve been on an avocado kick. I simply remove the skin and seed, mash it with a fork, and add a little sea salt, fresh ground black pepper, and olive oil. This is a tasty, calorie-dense snack full of healthy fats.

I find this way the easiest cut up an avocado.  Add some salsa, lime juice, cumin & salt and you have guac!

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_cut_and_peel_an_avocado/
:

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2012, 07:42:18 AM »

Ingredients
1 head kale, washed and thoroughly dried
2 tablespoons olive oil
Sea salt, for sprinkling
Directions
Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F.

Remove the ribs from the kale and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces. Lay on a baking sheet and toss with the olive oil and salt. Bake until crisp, turning the leaves halfway through, about 20 minutes. Serve as finger food.

R

Glass Gorilla

• Getbig II
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2012, 07:49:24 AM »

Damn now I have to pick up a couple avocados, that actually sounds good hahah

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2012, 09:15:03 AM »
I find this way the easiest cut up an avocado.  Add some salsa, lime juice, cumin & salt and you have guac!

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_cut_and_peel_an_avocado/

That's basically how I clean them. The only part I omit is scoring cross-sectional lines on each half after removing the seed. I just scoop out the insides with a spoon.
They clean amazingly fast and easy.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2012, 09:16:12 AM »
Damn now I have to pick up a couple avocados, that actually sounds good hahah

I like to let them ripen in the fridge for a couple of days until the skin begins to brown just a bit and they feel a little soft/mushy.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2012, 10:13:45 AM »
Avocados are fruit (large berries I think) and they are awesome. Good fat is where it's at. I like taking some cold round steak (cooked) which I shred and then mix with mashed avocado.

Glass Gorilla

• Getbig II
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2012, 03:16:54 PM »
Avocados are fruit (large berries I think) and they are awesome. Good fat is where it's at. I like taking some cold round steak (cooked) which I shred and then mix with mashed avocado.

Agreed and agreed. I wonder how well a diet slightly over maintenance with carbs and fat in a 1:1 ratio would work. I feel like we're all so gung-ho on carbs and fats get neglected too much.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2012, 04:00:45 AM »
Try roasting any of these with olive oil and a rain of Kosher salt 425 approx.20-25 min.  Roasting might change your mind!

Asparagus
Broccoli
Carrots
Cauliflower
Green Beans
Sweet bell peppers
Sweet potatoes

Hahaha yes! Sweet potatoes with a tiny bit of olive oil and sea salt are @*&%£N awesome!

Almost tastes like honey flavored potato chips lol.

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2012, 08:01:05 AM »
Broccoli
T