Author Topic: Obama/Holder set to sue Apple.  (Read 1603 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Obama/Holder set to sue Apple.
« on: April 11, 2012, 06:13:20 AM »
Apple Lawsuit: DOJ May Sue Tech Company Over eBooks As Early As Wednesday
Posted: 04/10/2012 8:17 pm

Read more Reuters , Technology News .

By Diane Bartz and Poornima Gupta

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/10/apple-lawsuit-ebooks-doj_n_1416473.html?view=print&comm_ref=false

WASHINGTON/SAN FRANCISCO, April 10 (Reuters) - The Justice Department could sue Apple Inc as early as Wednesday over alleged electronic book price-fixing, while settling with several publishers as early as this week, two people familiar with the matter said.

The Justice Department is investigating alleged price-fixing by Apple and five major publishers: CBS Corp's Simon & Schuster Inc; HarperCollins Publishers Inc; Lagardere SCA's Hachette Book Group; Pearson and Macmillan, a unit of Verlagsgruppe Georg von Holtzbrinck GmbH.

A lawsuit against Apple, one of the parties not in negotiations over a potential settlement, could come as early as Wednesday but no final decision had been made, the people said.

Apple declined to comment. The Justice Department and the five publishers could not be reached for comment.

The Justice Department is investigating whether deals Apple cut two years ago with the quintet of major publishers - when the consumer electronics maker launched its iPad tablet computer - were done with the intent of propping up prices for digital books, sources have said.

As part of those agreements, publishers shifted to a model that allowed them to set the price of e-books and give Apple a 30 percent cut of sales, the sources have said.

Talks between the Justice Department and some publishers had been proceeding, with settlements expected as soon as this week, one of the two sources familiar with the matter said on condition of anonymity, because the discussions were not public.

A negotiated settlement is expected to eliminate Apple's so-called "most favored nation" status, which had prevented the publishers from selling lower-priced e-books through rival retailers such as Amazon.com Inc or Barnes & Noble Inc , sources had told Reuters last month.

But the situation was fluid, those sources said at the time.

________________________ ________________________ __________________

Obama and his gang of communists will not be happy until we are all in tents under candles on forced labor camps.

I guess this is revenge for Steve Jobs making a fool of bama at the lunch in.   

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
Re: Obama/Holder set to sue Apple.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 07:38:35 AM »
Apple Lawsuit: DOJ May Sue Tech Company Over eBooks As Early As Wednesday
Posted: 04/10/2012 8:17 pm

Read more Reuters , Technology News .

By Diane Bartz and Poornima Gupta

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/10/apple-lawsuit-ebooks-doj_n_1416473.html?view=print&comm_ref=false

WASHINGTON/SAN FRANCISCO, April 10 (Reuters) - The Justice Department could sue Apple Inc as early as Wednesday over alleged electronic book price-fixing, while settling with several publishers as early as this week, two people familiar with the matter said.

The Justice Department is investigating alleged price-fixing by Apple and five major publishers: CBS Corp's Simon & Schuster Inc; HarperCollins Publishers Inc; Lagardere SCA's Hachette Book Group; Pearson and Macmillan, a unit of Verlagsgruppe Georg von Holtzbrinck GmbH.

A lawsuit against Apple, one of the parties not in negotiations over a potential settlement, could come as early as Wednesday but no final decision had been made, the people said.

Apple declined to comment. The Justice Department and the five publishers could not be reached for comment.

The Justice Department is investigating whether deals Apple cut two years ago with the quintet of major publishers - when the consumer electronics maker launched its iPad tablet computer - were done with the intent of propping up prices for digital books, sources have said.

As part of those agreements, publishers shifted to a model that allowed them to set the price of e-books and give Apple a 30 percent cut of sales, the sources have said.

Talks between the Justice Department and some publishers had been proceeding, with settlements expected as soon as this week, one of the two sources familiar with the matter said on condition of anonymity, because the discussions were not public.

A negotiated settlement is expected to eliminate Apple's so-called "most favored nation" status, which had prevented the publishers from selling lower-priced e-books through rival retailers such as Amazon.com Inc or Barnes & Noble Inc , sources had told Reuters last month.

But the situation was fluid, those sources said at the time.

________________________ ________________________ __________________

Obama and his gang of communists will not be happy until we are all in tents under candles on forced labor camps.

I guess this is revenge for Steve Jobs making a fool of bama at the lunch in.   

Its about time...its a really bad problem and it stiffles competition
A

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 07:42:36 AM »
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-04-11/u-s-files-antitrust-lawsuit-against-apple-hachette.html

Amazing - no answers on Fast n Furious , no answers on corzine, nothing on Gibson Guitars, yet Holder, the racist communist criminal scumbag murderer has time for this bs? 

BTW - if someone does not want to pay 9.99 for a ebook - DONT FUCKING BUY IT AND THE PRICE WILL GO DOWN!   

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 10:34:13 PM »
Skip to comments.

Here's Why Apple Will Probably Win Its E-Book Lawsuit
yahoo Finance ^ | April 12,2012 | Jay Yarow
Posted on April 12, 2012 1:36:03 PM EDT by Hojczyk

Apple is likely to win the e-book lawsuit being brought against it by the Department of Justice, reports CNET after consulting various legal experts.

One simple reason Apple has a good case against antitrust is that it is a tiny player in the e-book business. It has very little share of the market. Amazon owns 90% of the e-book market. Antitrust scholar Geoffrey Manne tells CNET, "Strengthening a new competitor against an incumbent hardly sounds like a terrible outcome for consumer."

Further, Apple is just a distribution point for the books. If the publishers worked together in collusion, they could be in trouble, but not Apple, says CNET.

NYU legal professor Richard Epstein wrote an article on why the DOJ will probably lose the case. Epstein describes himself as "an expert in constitutional law, contracts, corporate law, real estate law, torts, labor law -- even Roman Law." He's also known to his students as "the libertarian."

Here's his reasoning for why the case is bogus:

First, there is no need for any collusion on this issue. If a single publisher had dreamed up this new scheme, it could have refused unilaterally to sell any books to Amazon or anyone else unless they bought into the model. Why is it illegal for Apple to come up with a bright idea that helps its competitive position with Amazon?

(Excerpt) Read more at finance.yahoo.com ...

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 10:02:28 AM »
Apple must be behind on their DNC contributions.

From that Yahoo article it seems flimsy...but who knows.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 04:42:48 AM »
Perhaps you've not read this...if you did you would understand

The Ed Bott Report
Ed Bott Mobile
RSS
Email Alerts
.608Comments.more +EmailPrintDel.icio.usDiggLinkedInRedditTechnorati..Home / News & Blogs / The Ed Bott Report
Apple's mind-bogglingly greedy and evil license agreement
By Ed Bott | January 19, 2012, 1:32pm PST

Summary: Over the years, I have read hundreds of license agreements, looking for little gotchas and clear descriptions of rights. But I have never, ever seen a legal document like the one Apple has attached to its new iBooks Author program.

Update: This post is part of a series. If you find this topic interesting, I recommend you read these follow-ups as well:

•How Apple is sabotaging an open standard for digital books
•Some standards are more open than others
•Closing thoughts on Apple’s greedy, “crazy evil” iBooks license
I read EULAs so you don’t have to. I’ve spent years reading end user license agreements, EULAs, looking for little gotchas or just trying to figure out what the agreement allows and doesn’t allow.

I have never seen a EULA as mind-bogglingly greedy and evil as Apple’s EULA for its new ebook authoring program.

Dan Wineman calls it “unprecedented audacity” on Apple’s part. For people like me, who write and sell books, access to multiple markets is essential. But that’s prohibited:

Apple, in this EULA, is claiming a right not just to its software, but to its software’s output. It’s akin to Microsoft trying to restrict what people can do with Word documents, or Adobe declaring that if you use Photoshop to export a JPEG, you can’t freely sell it to Getty. As far as I know, in the consumer software industry, this practice is unprecedented.

Exactly: Imagine if Microsoft said you had to pay them 30% of your speaking fees if you used a PowerPoint deck in a speech.

I’ve downloaded the software and had a chance to skim the EULA. Much of it is boilerplate, but I’ve read and re-read Section 2B, and it does indeed go far beyond any license agreement I’ve ever seen:

B. Distribution of your Work. As a condition of this License and provided you are in compliance with its terms, your Work may be distributed as follows:

• (i) if your Work is provided for free (at no charge), you may distribute the Work by any available means;
•(ii) if your Work is provided for a fee (including as part of any subscription-based product or
service), you may only distribute the Work through Apple and such distribution is subject to the following limitations and conditions: (a) you will be required to enter into a separate written agreement with Apple (or an Apple affiliate or subsidiary) before any commercial distribution of your Work may take place; and (b) Apple may determine for any reason and in its sole discretion not to select your Work for distribution.
And then the next paragraph is bold-faced, just so you don’t miss it:

Apple will not be responsible for any costs, expenses, damages, losses (including
without limitation lost business opportunities or lost profits) or other liabilities you may incur as a result of your use of this Apple Software, including without limitation the fact that your Work may not be selected for distribution by Apple.
The nightmare scenario under this agreement? You create a great work of staggering literary genius that you think you can sell for 5 or 10 bucks per copy. You craft it carefully in iBooks Author. You submit it to Apple. They reject it.

Under this license agreement, you are out of luck. They won’t sell it, and you can’t legally sell it elsewhere. You can give it away, but you can’t sell it.  Updated to add: By “it,” I am referring to the book, not the content. The program allows you to export your work as plain text, with all formatting stripped. So you do have the option to take the formatting work you did in iBooks Author, throw it away, and start over. That is a devastating potential limitation for an author/publisher. Outputting as PDF would preserve the formatting, but again the license would appear to prohibit you from selling that work, because it was generated by iBooks Author.

One oddity I noticed in the agreement is that the term Work is not defined. [Update: Yes, it is, as I noticed on a fourth reading. It's in an "Important Note" above the agreement itself: "any book or other work you generate using this software (a 'Work')." Of course, that uses the term "work" recursively.] It’s capitalized in the relevant sections of the EULA, and it clearly is the thing of value that Apple wants from an author. Leaving that term so poorly defined is not exactly malpractice, but it’s sloppy lawyering.

I’m also hearing, but have not been able to confirm, that the program’s output is not compatible with the industry-standard EPUB format. Updated: An Apple support document notes that “¦iBooks uses the ePub file format” and later refers to it as “the industry-leading ePub digital book file type.” But iBooks Author will not export its output to that industry-leading format.

My longtime friend Giesbert Damaschke, a German author who has written numerous Apple-related books, says via Twitter that “iBA generates Epub (sort of): save as .ibooks, rename to .epub (won’t work with complex layouts, cover will be lost).” Even if that workaround produces a usable EPUB file, however, the license agreement would seem to explicitly prohibit using the resulting file for commercial purposes outside Apple’s store.

As a publisher and an author, I obviously have a dog in this hunt. But what I see so far makes this program and its output an absolute nonstarter for me.

I’ll be writing more fully on this issue after I’ve had a chance to use the program and to inspect the EULA under a microscope.

Oh, and let’s just stipulate that I could send an e-mail to Apple asking for comment, or I could hand-write my request on a sheet of paper and then put it in a shredder. Both actions would produce the same response from Cupertino. But if anyone from Apple would care to comment, you know where to find me.
.Kick off your day with ZDNet's daily e-mail newsletter. It's the freshest tech news and opinion, served hot
A

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 05:04:39 AM »

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 08:39:23 PM »
The DOJ's Mugging Of Apple Reminds Us That Antitrust Is Theft
Forbes on Line ^ | April 19, 2012 | Wendy Milling
Posted on April 19, 2012 10:30:51 PM EDT by Publius6961

The DOJ's Mugging Of Apple Reminds Us That Antitrust Is Theft

The government should not interfere in any pricing or offering, even if a company outright colludes with competitors to set a price. Market participants have a right to offer their goods and services at whatever price they wish, and they should be free to determine that price however they wish. Some sort of twisted resentment at companies for deliberately trying to get the most money from a deal is not a valid basis for outlawing their activity. No one is forcing anyone to buy their products. Those who do not like how a company operates are free to walk away from its products....

It is time to formally reject the concept of antitrust and to put the repeal of the Sherman Antitrust Act of 1890 on the legislative agenda.

(Excerpt) Read more at forbes.com ...