Author Topic: Source: Zimmerman to be charged in Trayvon Martin case  (Read 7051 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Source: Zimmerman to be charged in Trayvon Martin case
« on: April 11, 2012, 12:24:09 PM »
Source: Zimmerman to be charged in Trayvon Martin case

[Updated at 3:07 p.m. ET] Many people in Sanford, Florida and around the world have been captivated by the Trayvon Martin case and have lent their support to Martin's family.

Upon hearing the news that special prosecutor Angela Corey was holding a press conference today to update the media, Martin's mother Sybrina Fulton tweeted that the case was in God's hands now.

Sybrina Fulton
@SybrinaFulton We're on pins&needles waiting for Ms. Coreys decision but we're prayerful that justice will prevail. He sits high&looks low #GODisincontrol
11 Apr 12 ReplyRetweetFavorite[Updated at 3:02 p.m. ET] The office of special prosecutor Angela Corey has confirmed that a news conference updating the media on the Trayvon Martin case will begin at the State Attorney’s Office in Jacksonville, Florida at 6 p.m. ET.

[Updated at 2:51 p.m. ET]  Corey's office, which is investigating the Trayvon Martin shooting case, said that charges against George Zimmerman have not been filed. The office would not confirm whether the office planned to charge him, according to HLN's Josey Crews.

Earlier, CNN reported that Corey is expected to announce a decision Wednesday regarding whether she will file charges against Zimmerman, and a senior law enforcement source familiar with the Martin death investigation said that Zimmerman would be charged.

[Updated at 2:39 p.m. ET]  George Zimmerman “will be (criminally) charged if (he) hasn’t been charged already,” according to a senior law enforcement source familiar with the Trayvon Martin death investigation.

It's not clear what the charges would be.

iReport.com: What's your reaction?

[Initial post, 2:29 p.m. ET] A special prosecutor in the Trayvon Martin shooting case is expected to announce a decision within the next four hours regarding whether she will file charges against George Zimmerman, CNN reports.

The news comes a day after attorneys for Zimmerman told reporters they had lost contact with Zimmerman and no longer represent him.

Police say Zimmerman fatally shot Martin, a 17-year-old African-American, on February 26 in Sanford, Florida, after Martin began walking home from a convenience store. Zimmerman, who is Hispanic and was a neighborhood watch volunteer, had called 911 to complain about a suspicious person in the neighborhood.

Zimmerman told Sanford police the shooting was self-defense, and Zimmerman was released without charges. Authorities have said Zimmerman was not immediately charged because there were no grounds, at the outset, to disprove his account that he'd acted to protect himself.

But thousands converged on Sanford to join in protests calling for Zimmerman's arrest and criticizing the police department's handling of the case. Martin's death has triggered a nationwide debate about race in America and Florida's "stand your ground" law, which allows people to use deadly force anywhere they feel a reasonable threat of death or serious injury.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/11/prosecutor-to-announce-decision-on-zimmerman/?hpt=hp_t1

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
Re: Source: Zimmerman to be charged in Trayvon Martin case
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 12:42:33 PM »
I fear if he's convicted - that its solely on the basis of public opinion. I dont think we'll ever know what really happened - and its a shame on both fronts.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 12:45:40 PM »
When the police chief stepped down, that was the first clue that something was amiss.  He was doing that for no other reason than to cover his own ass.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 12:49:31 PM »
I fear if he's convicted - that its solely on the basis of public opinion. I dont think we'll ever know what really happened - and its a shame on both fronts.

I dunno... there are a LOT of people out there who think he's being framed and that not only was he 1000% honest all along, but that he's a hero for what happened.

It just takes 1 person on that jury of 12 to feel that way, and he walks.  

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 12:55:46 PM »

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 01:01:52 PM »
I dunno... there are a LOT of people out there who think he's being framed and that not only was he 1000% honest all along, but that he's a hero for what happened.

It just takes 1 person on that jury of 12 to feel that way, and he walks.  
Wow dude... for every 1 guy that feels he's innocent, there are 5000 that feel he's guilty just like you did in the begining. It takes a lot of work to change an opinion once its formed and people had already convicted him as soon as the story hit, just like you. The only people I know that dont want to auto-convict him are people that primarily get their news on the internet. And its a very small % of people. Dont try and turn this around because you have to feel like youre on the underdog side. The majority of people very much side with you Mr. Brian "I have to fight against the mainstream" Griffin.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 01:07:43 PM »
i listen to fox radio all day long.   I look at getbig.  the majority of ppl who listen to daytime talk radio believe zimmy, and it sounds like the majority of getbigger on poli board do too.

I'm guess 1 in 12 is a reasonable possibility. 

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 01:19:05 PM »
i listen to fox radio all day long.   I look at getbig.  the majority of ppl who listen to daytime talk radio believe zimmy, and it sounds like the majority of getbigger on poli board do too.

I'm guess 1 in 12 is a reasonable possibility. 

Trust me, the large majority of people still believe he's guilty.

pro nitrousADRL

• Getbig III
  • put more nitrous on that, it still has spark plugs
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 02:23:50 PM »
The entire legal process of this is going to be for nothing else but to appease the black community. He will be found guilty, but not given much time, then the black community will start in on that as well. No way in hell will he be found innocent. The government is afraid of what will ensue, and if the government steps in and stops what ensues, then that's a hole big race issue. He will be found guilty
down with hussein

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 02:34:09 PM »
It has been suggested among legal pundits that “Stand Your Ground” can be made to work the other way…for Trayvon Martin and against George Zimmerman.

The argument goes like this:
“I was walking home from the convenience store with candy and soda…This scary looking Hispanic with a gun in his belt and not wearing a uniform or a badge is stalking me…I feared for my life and I took physical action, ‘I stood my ground’ and tried to take his gun away, and physically incapacitate him...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 02:37:11 PM »
Will apparently be charged with second degree murder.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 02:44:07 PM »
Doesnt suprise me. Prosecutor acting tough for the press. Bet he'll wind up with manslaughter.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 02:47:15 PM »

That is fucking nuts!   I can see manslaughter or reckless homicide, or even criminally negligent homicde, but murder?   WTF? 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 02:56:14 PM »
I haven't really looked at this too closely, but I do find the media's conduct reprehensible in this whole thing.  When I first heard about this story I thought the kid was like 10 years old based on the pictures they were putting out.   ::) 

I don't have an opinion on Zimmerman yet.  I learned a while back to wait and see what the evidence shows.  I jumped all over Richard Jewell (the alleged Olympic Park bomber) based on listening to an interview.  Will never make that mistake again. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 02:57:51 PM »
Reports say he is in custody. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 02:59:13 PM »
Official: Zimmerman is in custody and will be charged with 2nd-degree murder
Yahoo ^

Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2012 5:45:48 PM by Arthurio

Official: Zimmerman is in custody and will be charged with 2nd-degree murder

(Excerpt) Read more at yahoo.com ...

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2012, 03:38:47 PM »

How is that?

Don't we have a trial by jury where facts an arguments are presented by both sides with a presiding Judge?

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2012, 03:50:34 PM »
How is that?

Don't we have a trial by jury where facts an arguments are presented by both sides with a presiding Judge?
because I don't think they'll have an easy time finding impartial jurors. It takes a lot to change peoples minds once they're made up. And he's already been a.victim to a media campaign against him that has left quite a bit of.misinformation on the majority of Americans...

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2012, 03:56:18 PM »
because I don't think they'll have an easy time finding impartial jurors. It takes a lot to change peoples minds once they're made up. And he's already been a.victim to a media campaign against him that has left quite a bit of.misinformation on the majority of Americans...

They might have it in another county or even state.  Also, the jury selection process will help matters.  Additionally the facts of the case will greatly determine the outcome.  I would think lack of facts/witnesses are always in favor of the defendant.

I don't know the facts or have not read the police reports and statements by witnesses in this case so its hard for me say either way if he should get 2nd degree or not.  I can't just dismiss it as bias or public pressure because of political ideology or whatever.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2012, 05:02:05 PM »

could you set aside your preconceived beliefs and impartially look at the facts?

I believe I could

reppingfor20

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2012, 06:01:16 PM »
bwhahahhahahhahahhahha, how ya feel numbers boy?  Just like you will feel when Obama wins 2012?  Stick foot in mouth, lather, rinse, repeat.

Justice has just begun.  Blacks all across the nation need to draw a line now.

TEAM Nasser

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2012, 06:03:14 PM »
bwhahahhahahhahahhahha, how ya feel numbers boy?  Just like you will feel when Obama wins 2012?  Stick foot in mouth, lather, rinse, repeat.

Justice has just begun.  Blacks all across the nation need to draw a line now.

who are you talking to?

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2012, 06:04:44 PM »
“I will confirm that Mr. Zimmerman is indeed in custody,” Angela Corey, the special prosecutor in the Trayvon Martin case, said at a press conference on Wednesday night. She said that she had started the process of charging George Zimmerman with second-degree murder, and that before stepping up to the microphone she had spoken to “those sweet parents” — Sabryna Fulton and Tracy Martin — and told them what she was doing to get “justice for Trayvon.” The first time she met them, she said, they had prayed together, but she told them she couldn’t promise anything. This evening, she helped to deliver them some compensation for their tenacity and love in pursuing the case, if not — and this would have been impossible — for the loss of their son.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/closeread/2012/04/chasing-george-zimmerman.html

Yeah, this "special prosecutor" isn't coming off as biased or anything. No wonder she passed on the grand jury.  ::)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2012, 06:13:41 PM »
“I will confirm that Mr. Zimmerman is indeed in custody,” Angela Corey, the special prosecutor in the Trayvon Martin case, said at a press conference on Wednesday night. She said that she had started the process of charging George Zimmerman with second-degree murder, and that before stepping up to the microphone she had spoken to “those sweet parents” — Sabryna Fulton and Tracy Martin — and told them what she was doing to get “justice for Trayvon.” The first time she met them, she said, they had prayed together, but she told them she couldn’t promise anything. This evening, she helped to deliver them some compensation for their tenacity and love in pursuing the case, if not — and this would have been impossible — for the loss of their son.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/closeread/2012/04/chasing-george-zimmerman.html

Yeah, this "special prosecutor" isn't coming off as biased or anything. No wonder she passed on the grand jury.  ::)

it's her job to prosecute and Zimmermans lawyers to defend him

She also said: “Let me emphasize that we do not prosecute by public pressure or by petition,”

here's her statement - I can't find the quote about praying but maybe it's in there somewhere

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2012/images/04/11/angela.corey.speech.pdf?hpt=hp_t1

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2012, 06:15:57 PM »
it's her job to prosecute and Zimmermans lawyers to defend him

She also said: “Let me emphasize that we do not prosecute by public pressure or by petition,”

here's her statement - I can't find the quote about praying but maybe it's in there somewhere

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2012/images/04/11/angela.corey.speech.pdf?hpt=hp_t1

It's not her job to pray with the parents and talk about how "sweet" they are and how she'll get them "justice" while deciding whether to charge a man with a crime or not.  ::)

Should I be surprised that you, being the uneducated, stupid fuck that you are, don't see a problem with that? No, I've come to expect it from you, Simple Jack.